Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 17th April 2014, 19:12   #2026

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Hi Guderian,

Well, its taken me an eternity to get on to the forum and am still finding my way around here. Yours and Manuuj's thread have been true revelations and have spurred me on to zero in on booking a white MT 4x4 TFort for myself.

I must also compliment you on your writing skills, you sure have a flair for it, though I am no judge. All this has certainly won you and Admiral, a fan in me. While I await delivery of my HULK(dunno if the name is taken), I am reading up on whatever I can to equip myself to handle him well. Let's catch up someday and share our stories while we are at it.

Cheers.
crossifixio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 19:16   #2027
BHPian

Congratulations crossfixio, when do you take delivery? There were rumours that there has been some changes made to the interiors of the Fortuner. Can you confirm this?
Old 17th April 2014, 22:57   #2028

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Congratulations crossfixio, when do you take delivery? There were rumours that there has been some changes made to the interiors of the Fortuner. Can you confirm this?
Thank You SumitB, I should lay my hands on it sometime mid may. However, the Toyota Kirloskar Lock Out is keeping me on tenter hooks.

Do elaborate on the supposed changes. If you are referring to the 2014 face lift, I believe it is yet to hit the Indian shores. I shall check with the dealership nevertheless.
Old 18th April 2014, 00:14   #2029
BHPian

I am not too sure what the changes are but I believe the interiors are black now.
Old 18th April 2014, 21:25   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
I am not too sure what the changes are but I believe the interiors are black now.
Actually the deep brown portion (upper side of the Instrument Panel, Console Box, Parking Brake Lever etc) has been changed to black.
Also the silver part of the steering wheel sports a different silver hue. (appears to be brighter than the earlier models)
The same is available in the official website: http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new...r/gallery.aspx

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 23:00   #2031
BHPian

Quote:

Yup they are, here are a few pics of my 4x4 which is end March manufactured. While booking the vehicle I still was not sure regarding the interior of the car, but have to say after a couple of weeks behind the wheel I actually think this combo looks nice.Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1397928240.300394.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  93.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1397928287.608114.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  69.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1397928310.331909.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  84.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1397928362.674479.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  62.9 KB
ishlinea7260 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 23:31   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Folks would remember that Admiral had gone in for the brake booster upgrade/retrofit in May 2013 - page 125 of the thread. All is well with the brakes by and large (touchwood !).

Here's a link of a report from karan561's thread (a fellow Fortuner owner) which describes what could go wrong during such retrofits. Placing it here for the benefit of all Fortuner owners.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...000-kms-5.html

Thank you karan561.
Hello Admiral, while casually reading through your notes, clicked the brake booster pic from my dec2013 4x4mt model.
Apparently it is of different type than shown here what has been received as booster upgrade. Anything amiss ?
Name:  mh12kt.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  119.3 KB

Name:  mh12kt1.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  177.8 KB

due regards, RJ
Old 20th April 2014, 00:19   #2033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
Hello Admiral, while casually reading through your notes, clicked the brake booster pic from my dec2013 4x4mt model.
Apparently it is of different type than shown here what has been received as booster upgrade. Anything amiss ?
With due respect to General Guderian, I am taking the liberty to answer your question.
First of all congratulations @roadjourno for the new buy.
From January 2012, the brake booster of the 4x4 MT variant is different from its predecessors (like Admiral). The Brake Control System of the Admiral is ABS, whereas post 2012, for the above variant it is VSC (Vehicle Stability Control). The VSC system has a different brake booster, a different Brake Actuator, different set of brake tubes and a different proportioning valve for the rear wheels. Due to this the picture is different. So nothing amiss at all.
However for the 4x2 MT and 4x2 AT variants, the brake control system is still ABS.
The VSC is a superior system with the added feature of yaw rate control which gives better grip during sudden maneuvering on wet / slippery roads.

Please see this video for a better understanding.

Regards,

Samish

P.S.: Please note that the coxswain of Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro is General Heinz Wilhelm Guderian. I sincerely advise you to seek his pardon for this unholy mixup
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 09:48   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Of This & That...!

Life has been rather peaceful for Admiral with plenty of mundane coastal duties and the usual weekend routine and so life chugs along gently.

Name:  DSC03870.JPG
Views: 1336
Size:  288.1 KB
Name:  DSC03872.JPG
Views: 1318
Size:  248.4 KB
Name:  DSC03871.JPG
Views: 1306
Size:  237.8 KB
Name:  DSC03875.JPG
Views: 1338
Size:  292.4 KB

So nothing much to report but a few pointers from the weekend capers.

A few weeks ago, as Admiral had crossed the 50K KMs mark, I thought of measuring the suspension level and wheel arch gaps. Going by experience with my earlier vehicle (also a ladder frame - Scorpio) I was expecting a list towards one side. Typically happens on the driver's side. But for some strange reason, the Scorpio had by same age a list towards the passenger side. I had to then get the leaf springs recambered and the front suspension etc done up for regaining its stance.
I measured Admiral all around - all four wheels.
Name:  DSC03843.JPG
Views: 1300
Size:  223.8 KB
Name:  DSC03840.JPG
Views: 1291
Size:  223.5 KB
Name:  DSC03830.JPG
Views: 1254
Size:  197.6 KB
Name:  DSC03832.JPG
Views: 1397
Size:  255.7 KB
I was expecting a minor list of at least a few MMs. But surprise of surprise. Not the least of anything on the old chap. All four sides had the same measurments. Did it twice and was quite relieved. And did it again.
Must hand it to the robust suspension system.

Couple of weeks ago tried the new single piece jack rod to lower the stepney to top up the air in it. Rather easier and safer to use and handle it though it requires quite a bit more of room to use as compared to the three piece rod.
Name:  DSC03793.JPG
Views: 1255
Size:  255.6 KB
Name:  DSC03803.JPG
Views: 1825
Size:  281.4 KB
Name:  DSC03799.JPG
Views: 1372
Size:  281.3 KB

I always top up the stepney 2PSI extra than the running tyres.
Name:  DSC03802.JPG
Views: 1226
Size:  148.9 KB

And up a daisy !
Name:  DSC03806.JPG
Views: 1237
Size:  277.8 KB

And sometime ago noticed that few of the plastic clips/fastners of the old boy were begining to pop out/off. These were the ones holding up the front wheel well flaps and the rear wheel arch liner.
Name:  DSC03790.JPG
Views: 1425
Size:  245.3 KB
Name:  DSC03787.JPG
Views: 1251
Size:  273.0 KB

The front wheel flap fasteners falling off either due to old age or slipping out when the ASC chaps inadvertently dropped oil on it during oil/oil filter changes. And the rear wheel well liner fastners dropping out due to the occasional bumps on the fender while parking etc.
Anyway checked with the ASC and the fasteners were frightfully expensive - so toddled off to the nearby FNAC - Friendly Neighbourhood Accessories Chap - and got me self quite a few clips and stuff and it cost me almost next to nothing.
And so out came the magic box:
Name:  DSC03814.JPG
Views: 1223
Size:  242.0 KB

And the fastners:
Name:  DSC03813.JPG
Views: 1205
Size:  213.1 KB

The size and kind suitable for the front wheel side engine flaps:
Name:  DSC03824.JPG
Views: 1190
Size:  310.3 KB

The size and kind suitable for the rear wheel well liners:
Name:  DSC03823.JPG
Views: 1236
Size:  274.9 KB

The substitute on the rear wheel well liner:
Name:  DSC03777.JPG
Views: 1204
Size:  254.6 KB

That day also saw another tight fit nearby (wildlife (or almost) inspiration - Nilanjan's and BCG-GD1418's snaps):
Name:  DSC03828.JPG
Views: 1190
Size:  128.4 KB
Name:  DSC03827.JPG
Views: 1227
Size:  189.4 KB

And so life chugs along...
Name:  DSC03877.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  262.8 KB

Wooo ! And this place has been busy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossifixio View Post
Yours and Manuuj's thread have been true revelations and have spurred me on to zero in on booking a white MT 4x4 TFort for myself...
...All this has certainly won you and Admiral, a fan in me.
Hi crossifixio,
Thank you very much for the kind words of appreciation and I am glad that you liked our threads and that they were of great help to you.

Congratulations on the acquisition ! Look forward to your thread once you get the vehicle. Yeah, the waiting period is quite a killer.

Quote:
...when do you take delivery?
And what about you Sumit ? What about your Fortuner booking and taking control of the wheel ? Any developments ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Yup they are, here are a few pics of my 4x4 which is end March manufactured.
Thank you ishlinea7260 - looks very nice indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
1. So nothing amiss at all.
2. P.S.: Please note that the coxswain of Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro is General Heinz Wilhelm Guderian. I sincerely advise you to seek his pardon for this unholy mixup
Hi RJ,
samish has responded to your Q fabulously.
But then I had a relook at the snaps put up by you and analysed it in detail. Did a technical evaluation besides a imagery analysis/spectrophotometry etc and came to a conclusion that something was amiss all right.

The conclusion after all that hard labour was that - that brake booster desperately needs a wash.
And I suspect so does the engine bay.

Hi samish,
On point no. 2 - Ha ha !

Tally ho chaps !

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st April 2014 at 10:32. Reason: as per rp
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 10:19   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
And what about you Sumit ? What about your Fortuner booking and taking control of the wheel ? Any developments ?
It will happen Sir. As I had mentioned elsewhere, will take delivery of two beasts together. However, as of today, the bookings have not been made. Will keep you informed.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 13:38   #2036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will happen Sir. As I had mentioned elsewhere, will take delivery of two beasts together. However, as of today, the bookings have not been made. Will keep you informed.
Wow...two Fortuners at a time ? That's quite something. Not quite unlike the twin Safaris you had eh ?
Do let us know of the Toyota experience - especially when you go to them with an order for two and later on whether there is a difference between two Fortuners on the behavioural front !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 15:17   #2037
BHPian

Hello HG,

You inspired to me write a picture laded ownership Report. Well I did attempt it and here it is now for your valuable comments.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ises-keep.html (Toyota Fortuner 4X2 MT: Miles to go before, but I have promises to keep)

thanks a lot.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 08:04   #2038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Well I did attempt it and here it is now for your valuable comments.
Hi Wanderers,
Been a little out of circulation around these parts...
What with the new FY begining and the attendant issues...ahh the joys and sorrows of worklife !
Thank you for the heads up. Will cetainly amble across to your thread and sign the visitors book.
Old 12th May 2014, 16:14   #2039

Dear Guderian,
I regularly read your updates and been an inspiration in maintaining my car as per your write-ups.

I have a query for you. Have you ever changed the OEM tyres?

I also drive a 2011 Fortuner and yesterday when I was washing my car I noticed that the outer is wearing out more than the inner especially the front tyres. Mine has done 42,000 KM's and there is enough thread inner and middle part. Usually the balancing and alignment is done at every 5,000 Km's. The recent one was done at 40,000. Is the outer wearing because of the alignment issues?

Thanks in advance for your help as always.
Old 13th May 2014, 08:55   #2040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisgnair View Post
I have a query for you. Have you ever changed the OEM tyres?

I also drive a 2011 Fortuner and yesterday when I was washing my car I noticed that the outer is wearing out more than the inner especially the front tyres. Mine has done 42,000 KM's and there is enough thread inner and middle part. Usually the balancing and alignment is done at every 5,000 Km's. The recent one was done at 40,000. Is the outer wearing because of the alignment issues?
Hi krisgnair,
1. No, I haven't changed the OE tyres yet.
2. If the outer area is wearing out - then it could be due to a cambering issue. Too much of a positive camber I suspect. Check the figures out and see whether it is in range.
I trust you are rotating the tyres every 10K KMs.
What you can now do is to go to your tyre fellow and ask him to reverse the tyres: inside-out - meaning the tyre is flipped around on the wheel so that the worn out outer is now on the inside and run it for some more time and get an even wear.Do it for/on all the tyres/wheels.

Incidentally I desist from carrying out alignment every now and then. I do it only when I fell it is required and my experience with Admiral shows me that it is rarely required really. In 55K KMs I guess I have done it around 3 times - all for just peace of mind - the initial readings at all alignment sessions were in range and there was really no need to have got it aligned actually except once.
However if you insist on periodically getting it done, get it done at intervals of 10K KMs as per me. Most of the times I find the alignment-wallahs ruining the settings than aligning it properly.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th May 2014 at 18:04. Reason: Post edited on request.
Closed Thread