Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 21st July 2014, 14:25   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Is the Wurths anti rust available at the service center ?
Yes. But they'll charge you a bomb for it - around 8 K.
Suggest you take your vehicle to a non ASC joint and have them to do the job - after getting it checked at the ASC.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 11:06   #2072
Senior - BHPian

Greetings general ! No report since a month. How did the Admiral take the monsoons ?
You went with Amaron GO @ Rs 4850 after exchange. How many years warranty does it come with ? I though you would go with Amaron Pro as it comes with 5 Yr warranty.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 10:53   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Mea culpa...!
That I have not been updating the thread. But then there is nothing to update as my commute distance has reduced by more than half of the earlier run which was in turn half of the first run - when I first brought home the ol' boy. So Admiral is struggling to put some decent numbers on the odo. It adds just a paltry 20 KMs on an average everyday.

That I have not planned and executed any long distance runs. But then work and life (all mundane stuff I tell you) has kept me away from such delightful pursuits.

That I skipped Admiral's 55K KMs service. But then there was nothing much to be done in that service and I did all the checks (hopefully & touchwood !).

And so Admiral chugs along leading a rather quiet, sedate life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Greetings general ! No report since a month. How did the Admiral take the monsoons ?
You went with Amaron GO @ Rs 4850 after exchange. How many years warranty does it come with ? I though you would go with Amaron Pro as it comes with 5 Yr warranty.
Hi F150,
As ever, Admiral took and continues to take the monsoon rather well. Though thanks to the current commute route and scantyish rains there was nothing at all interesting to report this year.
Amaron Go comes with a 36 month warranty.
The Pro is considerably pricier and well...it wasn't available when I landed up that glorious day. Not that I would have picked it up - even if it was available.

Tally ho then !

Last edited by Guderian : 19th August 2014 at 11:01.
Old 19th August 2014, 19:59   #2074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post

1. That I have not planned and executed any long distance runs.

2. That I skipped Admiral's 55K KMs service. But then there was nothing much to be done in that service and I did all the checks (hopefully & touchwood !).

And so Admiral chugs along leading a rather quiet, sedate life.
Nice to see the post come alive after an aeon.

1. Point taken. So sincerely hoping The Great Southern Sojourn (maybe I should call it a Voyage) is surely "ON" early next year?

2. With due respect to your diligent attention towards the upkeep of Admiral, I would still suggest to through the rigors of the paid service (in this case the 55K). For example, they clean the Air Filter and the AC filter (tucked behind the glove compartment) using pressurized air, which I assume is a difficult DIY. Also they have certain mandatory checks like the Diesel Filter, Brake pad wear etc. which is very much essential / vital for our daily runs.

Regards,

Samish
Old 20th August 2014, 08:54   #2075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
2. With due respect to your diligent attention towards the upkeep of Admiral, I would still suggest to through the rigors of the paid service (in this case the 55K). For example, they clean the Air Filter and the AC filter (tucked behind the glove compartment) using pressurized air, which I assume is a difficult DIY. Also they have certain mandatory checks like the Diesel Filter, Brake pad wear etc. which is very much essential / vital for our daily runs.
Hi Samish,
Thank you.

1. I have been removing the AC filter and the air filter myself periodically and getting it cleaned at the nearest tyrewallah using compressed air. Mentioned that I think a few pages ago. No, it is very easy to remove the AC filter.
2. Brake pads/liners wear measurements were noted in the last service (50K KMs) and was good to go on for quite some time. Had mentioned the measurements here in the service post. Likewise the diesel filter check was also carried out.

All in all it was quite a conscious decision keeping in mind the new pattern of usage. But yeah always safer to stick to the recommended periods of service, ordinarily. But then when most of the actions are carried out in house in a DiY form, well...why worry was my thought.
In any case the 60K KMs service is quite a major one and so awaiting that now !
Old 20th August 2014, 14:36   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Samish,
Thank you.

1. I have been removing the AC filter and the air filter myself periodically and getting it cleaned at the nearest tyrewallah using compressed air. Mentioned that I think a few pages ago. No, it is very easy to remove the AC filter.
Nice to learn that you are removing the AC filter without difficulty. I have just one query. Do you remove the glove box to access the AC filter cover OR do you bend down below the glove box to access the AC filter.

Regards,

Samish
Old 20th August 2014, 14:48   #2077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice to learn that you are removing the AC filter without difficulty. I have just one query. Do you remove the glove box to access the AC filter cover OR do you bend down below the glove box to access the AC filter.

Regards,

Samish
Hi Samish,
Much easier for me to remove the glove box and access the AC filter box. Remove the front cover of the box, pull out the filter and it's all yours to clean.
I think I have posted some snaps earlier on the thread.
If not, will post this weekend.
Old 23rd August 2014, 16:39   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Gone With The (Compressed) Wind !

All the dust I mean.
But frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

Or so said Admiral as there was hardly any dust and whatever little was there wasn't making the ol' boy wheezy.
Whatever, but then keeping Admiral ship shape is my ride. Akin to Paul Revere's - that he might've developed one heck of a saddle sore is a different matter. But then I digress, as usual.

Anyway as indicated earlier - today was the day for cleaning Admiral's filters. And since a picture is said to speak a thousand words...let's give 'em pics a chance hunh ?

All set. For nothing much to be done:
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1025
Size:  218.2 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1029
Size:  197.7 KB

First the AC filter. Open the glove box and remove it out. Yank it off (genlty does it !) from the hinges.
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 1098
Size:  244.8 KB

And what do we see behind the glove box ? The blower and the filter box atop it with a rectangular cap. Opened the cap using the clip on the left. Though there is a 'R' shown there !
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 1082
Size:  285.0 KB
Name:  6.JPG
Views: 1235
Size:  272.3 KB
Removed the AC filter and keep it safe.
While I moved to the front to remove the air filter.

The lung box. Easy to remove the top using the 3 clips. Unlike my earlier vehicle - Scorpio CRDe - where 5 ever slipping bolts held the top in place.
Name:  7.JPG
Views: 1033
Size:  253.4 KB

Before the hawa-hawai treatment at the nearby FNTW (Friendly Neighbourhood Tyrewallah) who very kindly permitted me to use the compressed air line (tube) despite his busy schedule. 30 flies lay swatted by him - by the time I had reached him:
AC filter -
Name:  8.JPG
Views: 1014
Size:  186.7 KB
Name:  9.JPG
Views: 1006
Size:  245.9 KB

The air filter:
Name:  10.JPG
Views: 998
Size:  259.9 KB
Name:  11.JPG
Views: 1004
Size:  315.6 KB

After the Hawai-ian blast:
Name:  12.JPG
Views: 986
Size:  248.6 KB
Name:  13.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  269.2 KB
Name:  14.JPG
Views: 974
Size:  348.4 KB

Fairly clean I'd say.

Now to put the AC filter back. No brainer with all pointers there.
Name:  15.JPG
Views: 960
Size:  212.5 KB
Name:  16.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  212.4 KB
Name:  17.JPG
Views: 946
Size:  276.8 KB
Name:  18.JPG
Views: 946
Size:  148.7 KB
Name:  19.JPG
Views: 944
Size:  212.0 KB

And clicked the cover shut on the left after placing in the projection on the right side in the slot.
Name:  20.JPG
Views: 933
Size:  260.4 KB

And...hey ! Nice to see something from Denso - Made in India.
Name:  21.JPG
Views: 945
Size:  257.1 KB

And to put back the glove box. Nice to see the padding behind the glovebox. Brand new even today.
Name:  212.JPG
Views: 922
Size:  266.5 KB
Name:  22.JPG
Views: 918
Size:  215.8 KB

Ahhh...all set here.
Name:  23.JPG
Views: 916
Size:  203.7 KB

Even without cleaning the AC filter the equipment used to chill my bones. Now what - the Polar Freeze ? Remind me to buy the thermal Long Johns.

Forward march to the f'd section.
Name:  24.JPG
Views: 918
Size:  277.3 KB

Peekaboo...who's inside ?
Name:  25.JPG
Views: 938
Size:  181.7 KB

The rag. The yellow rag. No, no not a newspaper. But the cloth I stuffed into the intake and outflow hose while I trotted off to the FNTW. To prevent any insect from getting adventurous while I was away.

Name:  26.JPG
Views: 934
Size:  247.8 KB

Filter inserted back and everything clipped on.
Name:  27.JPG
Views: 896
Size:  276.1 KB

And everything seems tickety boo.
Name:  28.JPG
Views: 904
Size:  238.3 KB

And now old chap - breath easy !
Name:  29.JPG
Views: 904
Size:  210.9 KB

Go on, do give a damn for my efforts.

Name:  GWTW 1939.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  28.6 KB

Tally ho then.

Quote:
I have just one query. Do you remove the glove box to access the AC filter cover OR do you bend down below the glove box to access the AC filter.
That's that then eh Samish ?

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th August 2014 at 17:20. Reason: As requested
Guderian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 09:24   #2079
BHPian

That is a fabulous step by step description of cleaning the filters. May I humbly request you to post the same to the dealers so that they can make it as a training material (standard operation procedure) for their technicians (aka grease monkeys).
Have you faced any niggles / rattles / noise at around 1500 to 2000 rpm (usually while changing gears) from the glove box.

Regards,

Samish
Old 25th August 2014, 15:11   #2080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.That is a fabulous step by step description of cleaning the filters.

2. Have you faced any niggles / rattles / noise at around 1500 to 2000 rpm (usually while changing gears) from the glove box.
1. Thank you very much Samish !

2. No, not really. Or actually it may not even have registered in my mind. Will keep a ear out for that, though I am fairly certain I haven't heard any such rattles/noise.

Last edited by Stratos : 25th August 2014 at 17:37. Reason: Edited as per request.
Old 26th August 2014, 10:50   #2081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And since a picture is said to speak a thousand words...
Hi Guderian,

That is an awesome picture laden DIY, which is useful. Thanks for all the details and the guidance.

I have to now find the FNTW to do the same for BOSS!
Old 1st September 2014, 17:03   #2082
Senior - BHPian

Battle of Vandi - Wash...

As it turned out to be. Or at least the time spent on it yesterday did. What with the monsoon of Mumbai coming and going as it pleases and Admiral's upkeep being the casualty with all the mucky roads and generous number of pot/pitholes.

The GDW was warned in advance. And not an inch was spared - outside...
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  213.1 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  234.8 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 720
Size:  231.5 KB

...or inside !

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 741
Size:  209.1 KB

The amount of gooey muck that was removed was enough to create another Backbay Reclamation.

Of course some spots got special treatment:
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 705
Size:  238.9 KB
Name:  6.JPG
Views: 714
Size:  294.8 KB
Name:  7.JPG
Views: 732
Size:  327.4 KB

And then came time for the monthly fluids checks.
Name:  8.JPG
Views: 699
Size:  278.6 KB

Beer for the Admiral ?
Name:  9.JPG
Views: 704
Size:  181.7 KB

Mr Sparks' eye told me that the charge was fine and checked the acid level.
Name:  10.JPG
Views: 712
Size:  211.3 KB

Red, red wine...just a lil' topped up (less than a mm in height) a couple of months ago...
Name:  11.JPG
Views: 722
Size:  207.3 KB

Last topped up when the brake booster was changed. Not a drop of brake oil lost.
Name:  12.JPG
Views: 792
Size:  254.0 KB

And now the ship's plate. The reason I am showing this is that I had, over the last month or two, received 2/3 Qs from other Fortuner owners asking for their vehicle's colour code to buy paint pens or get matching colour at the touch up shops etc. The colour code is available on the plate as shown.
For eg the Silver Streak Mica of Admiral is 1E7 - as can be seen.
Name:  13.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  139.9 KB
Name:  14.JPG
Views: 778
Size:  129.4 KB

And so Admiral was all fresh and eager for a quiet Sunday drive to S Mumbai.

And rains slammed Amchi Mumbai again on Sunday and it continues till writing this piece ! And I was muttering all through the drive.
Name:  15.JPG
Views: 743
Size:  299.8 KB
Name:  16.JPG
Views: 720
Size:  286.5 KB

Quite happy with the wipers from Toyota. They have lasted 4 monsoon seasons. With just two streaks on either side - but swipe clean perfectly even now. May have to change before the next monsoons.

And these swimming pools are back again.
Name:  17.JPG
Views: 694
Size:  205.7 KB

But what me worry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Guderian,

That is an awesome picture laden DIY, which is useful. Thanks for all the details and the guidance.

I have to now find the FNTW to do the same for BOSS!
Thank you Get.
Don't let the FNTW do anything. Just remove the filters yourself go to the FNTW and do the air blasting also yourself. I've seen some of the FNTWs overdo it and ruin the filters.

Quote:
Have you faced any niggles / rattles / noise at around 1500 to 2000 rpm (usually while changing gears) from the glove box.
Hi Samish,
Had kept an ear out for this for the past couple of days. Nothing to report !

Last edited by Guderian : 1st September 2014 at 17:08.
Old 1st September 2014, 22:00   #2083
BHPian

Hello Guderian Sir!.
1. The muck on Admiral's uniform seem to be safely deposited on the shirt of the GDW (please see the second photo) (or is it a Recurring Deposit due to his daily routine?)

2. I wish to draw your attention to the Toyota Fortuner emblem (above the "FULL TIME 4WD sticker). Some dust / dirt seem to be deposited in between the letters. A toothbrush operation should take care of the grime.

3. Glad to know that there are no niggles / rattles from the glove box.

Regards,

Samish
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:15   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guderian Sir!.
1. The muck on Admiral's uniform seem to be safely deposited on the shirt of the GDW (please see the second photo) (or is it a Recurring Deposit due to his daily routine?)
2. I wish to draw your attention to the Toyota Fortuner emblem (above the "FULL TIME 4WD sticker). Some dust / dirt seem to be deposited in between the letters. A toothbrush operation should take care of the grime.
Hi Samish,
1. Those are his work clothes. But then it was neat when he started and he usually does Admiral first in the colony. But then yeah - shall give him a washing bonus this Diwali !

2. Well, if you notice the water droplets all around in the snap - it was taken before the clean up of the badge. And there's no way I use or will use a toothbrush on the paint work. Because if there is one issue I have with Toyota - it is their poor paint quality (ultra thin - which would have been a great USP for another product which I'd rather not talk about here !) and thickness (or is is 'thinness' ?) of the metal skin - which reminds me of papier mache - and that's putting it mildly. And if I were to ever use a toothbrush in that area - it'll be badly scratched and scuffed !
So what I do is to use an earbud - J&J please - with generous drops of a mild cleaner. And voila - that does the trick.

Aloha !

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd September 2014 at 17:39. Reason: edited as requested
Old 8th September 2014, 11:24   #2085
BHPian

Hi HG,

Really Good to see the Admiral in Top class. That's how we dream our car to be.
Last week rains in Delhi have brought much relief to we people in Delhi.
Enjoying the drive till it last.

One question regarding rear wiper.
Even while its raining heavily, after 3-4 strokes, the wiper starts making scratching sound.
Are we not suppose to operate the rear wiper continuously ?
Or may be there is wiper alignment problem as I checked the blade and they are in shape & soft (Not brittle).

Thanks.
Closed Thread