Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 1st April 2011, 00:29   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
It was when I recognised the great potential of road travel in India and then went on to purchase the Scorpio (though not a pucca SUV)!
Ok, now you are stepping into dangerous terrain. Scorpio NOT a pukka SUV? Not many would take to that very kindly, including me.
Old 1st April 2011, 09:56   #272
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Taxes in Karnataka are higher and yes it is a life time tax.

I had to pay handling charges too, about the same as you did.

Punju Doodhwala ? really, not what i had in mind, but then i was confused between heinz-ji and bertie-ji as you look like one and articulate as the other..

Hey and thanks for your wishes.
Hi Manmohan, Life time tax or spending a life time paying tax...such is life !
Noted your views on naming - your choice mate.

And good luck on the house renovation/s. You are a brave man - new vehicle, house renovation - all at one stroke, whatever be the circumstances leading to it.

Me ? I wouldn't have been able to handle all at once ! Would have possibly gone bonkers and would have received a friendly word of advice (phrase to be interpreted as command) from the LoH to move into the TFort with my belongings, temporarily hopefully, till all the work is completed to her satisfaction, without my nervous pacing in the house behind the handymen, carpenters and the like.

So then shall await the snaps with bated breath, till you are righ and ready with them. Good luck !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
No no. I'm not saying that SUV's don't make sense. They do make sense for a lot of people! It's just that I prefer large sedans which take you anywhere on the highway in comfort and it doesn't make sense for a family of 2 to have a SUV when they don't need thaaaat much space.

I'm a huge fan of road trips too. 90% of our holidays are road trips only. Earlier they were done in the Contessa, then a few in the Swing (even though it's not large, its fantastic on the highway) and now back to road trip mode in the W124. (I don't consider myself an expert when it comes to the hills of Uttaranchal/Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh for nothing.)

And I understand the appeal of a SUV for large groups perfectly. Did a road trip with extended family once in 2008. Used a Scorpio and we were 6 people. And it was a very comfortable trip. So I do know what it's like. (Bangy to Ooty).
Great. For me the issue has been, despite a teeny weeny family, space needed for luggage on long trips. Its almost as though we're moving Corps HQs to a new location. Needn't tell you at whose insistence.
And not to forget the dry and wet rations for the great annual marches to new territories. The "what if we don't get food for a year" Q gets asked and answered, by you know who, in a multitude of ways, by which time the poor vehicle beings to resemble a Salvation Army mobile kitchen.

Here is what one of out earlier vehicles looked like on a long run:
Name:  Salvation Army Mobile Kitchen 2.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  7.3 KB

And this how I look like, drawing my rations & canteen items, after a long drive:
Name:  Salvation Army Mobile Kitchen.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  6.1 KB

If someone had her way there'd be a sink, cooking range, dish washer and a fully functional washing machine - all set up in the Admiral too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Ok, now you are stepping into dangerous terrain. Scorpio NOT a pukka SUV? Not many would take to that very kindly, including me.
Dev Saar, To me a pucca SUV is one with a 4X4 trans. Just a 4X4 trans - no other fancy accompaniments. No diff locks or hill assist or ESP or anyP or any assist. 99% of the Scorps are non 4X4. And as mentioned before tried my darnest to get a 4X4 Scorp - couldn't. So had a 4X2 which did 90%+ of the tasks that a SUV could do.
And if I remember right in the early days Scorp was marketed as a car replacement go anywhere vehicle not a true blue SUV. And the same was also mentioned by our good friend who was the Brand Manager M&M-Scorpio then, now elsewhere - that they never intended the Scorp to be identified as a SUV but somewhere in between. Something like a not quite this, not quite that and not an MUV either. And left it to the general populace to figure out its identity as they please and boy, did it work !

It's only now that 4X4 Scorps are relatively freely rolling out thanks to the public applying some demand pressure and having a better range of choices if that is not available perhaps ?

And I still remember the conversation I had with the Sales Head of the first M&M dealer I first went to in Mumbai, a nice Tamilian gentleman, when I was trying to convince him that I wanted a 4X4, circa April 2005 :

SH: "Why saar 4X4? You won't go to such places at all saar, bigass normally families also don't like to go to such places !"
Me:" Why ?"
SH:"Bigaaas (singsong) normally there are no toilette facilities in such places then families, how go ?"
M: "Well not to worry we will figure out something, but I think I am clear I want a 4X4."
SH: "Don't worry even if you go to such places even the 4X2 can do the job."
M: "Have you been to such places yourself"
SH: "No saar. I don't travel much, even if I do not by road at all, all my journeys to the south at most,by train..."
M:" So how come you know about such places ?"
SH: " I see the photographs of the Scorpio ads and can make out."
M: "What ?"
SH: "That there won't be toilettes there !"
M: "Then why is the Scorpio shown in the ads in such places."
SH: "Thaaata ? Just advertisement tricks ! No toilettes there, quite sure..."

So much for a salesguy selling SUVs nor something like SUVs. When I insisted he hemmed and hawed and mentioned that it would take 6 months for delivery after first paying up the full amount. Even a talk with the company also didn't yield anything. Later Guderian, the 4X2 Scorp, charged in & changed our lives irreversibly !

But then looking back I guess the SH was right. Even in the tightest of the corners the Scorp was never stuck.

But then again, I consciously didn't go to certain places which I felt a 4X2 would get stuck and missed out a few places too.

Though didn't check out the the loo faciltites in any of those places !

Tally ho then !

Last edited by Guderian : 1st April 2011 at 10:04.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2011, 13:36   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Great. For me the issue has been, despite a teeny weeny family, space needed for luggage on long trips. Its almost as though we're moving Corps HQs to a new location. Needn't tell you at whose insistence.

And not to forget the dry and wet rations for the great annual marches to new territories. The "what if we don't get food for a year" Q gets asked and answered, by you know who, in a multitude of ways, by which time the poor vehicle beings to resemble a Salvation Army mobile kitchen.

If someone had her way there'd be a sink, cooking range, dish washer and a fully functional washing machine - all set up in the Admiral too !
Lol! I suppose travelling light comes more naturally to men than women, which is why for us it's a simple formula of 1 suitcase of clothes each and 1 bag of sundries like eatables etc.

Sink, cooking range etc? Ummmmmmm heard of this thing called a camper van?
Old 1st April 2011, 14:02   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post

Sink, cooking range etc? Ummmmmmm heard of this thing called a camper van?
But then you see, it'll look mighty odd for me to be stepping out of a camper everyday at the office. Besides giving my boss an idea that I can work late nights and need not go back home at all etc etc !
Old 1st April 2011, 15:20   #275
BHPian

Quote:
But then looking back I guess the SH was right. Even in the tightest of the corners the Scorp was never stuck.

But then again, I consciously didn't go to certain places which I felt a 4X2 would get stuck and missed out a few places too.

Though didn't check out the the loo faciltites in any of those places !

Tally ho then !
I too can recall two instances when i had to bypass some places (with more than adequate toilette facilities..of the open air kind) because I feared my Qualis would not make the cut.

One was the Upper ranges of Himalayas in the winter close to Rohtang Pass with my tyres screeching for traction on the snow and sleet covered road and the other a sandy trail in Corbett with an unusually steep decline which ended in an even steeper incline.

Both these roads held promise of greater views ahead but I sadly lacked the courage to attempt a crossing for fear of becoming a spot on the tourist map of the region.."Yes Sirji and Madamji thees ees the place where that phool from Dehlee ended up in the gorge below" or "Thees is the place where that City-Buoy was served up as the Entree for our Big Cat population"

As far as imbeciles doubling up as salesmen for M&M go..i had my first taste of one as far back as 1994 when i went to book a MM 540 DP. I insisted on a 4x4 version but that man convinced my dad that it was an utter waste and the clincher was the higher fuel consumption owing to higher weight of the vehicle. He neglected to mention that M&M was on strike and he had no stocks of the 4x4 540 DP at the moment in his showroom / yard.

I almost bought out a contract on his life when one day while I was trying to extricate a hapless comely damsel and her stuck Contessa from the college parking lot in the height of monsoon season with my 4x2 Jeep, I ended up getting bogged down myself. To say that it was embarrassing would be an understatement of gargantuan proportions.

The result was that she became someone else's LoH and I a fanatic believer in 4x4 being an important part of any true blue SUV.

Last edited by Manuuj : 1st April 2011 at 15:26.
Old 1st April 2011, 17:07   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post

1. "Yes Sirji and Madamji thees ees the place where that phool from Dehlee ended up in the gorge below" or "Thees is the place where that City-Buoy was served up as the Entree for our Big Cat population"

2. As far as imbeciles doubling up as salesmen for M&M go..
The result was that she became someone else's LoH.
Hey Manuuj,
1. Delightful !

2. Before you call that M&M sales guy names - please have a quick word the "someone else's LoH" 's MoH (Man of the House) and you'll know whether the M&M chap did you a great disservice or a great favour.
For all you know, after the chat, you may try and trace out that M&M chap after all these years and start kissing the very ground that he walks on -out of sheer gratitude !

Seriously on that Qualis and Scorpio chukkers, yeah like life - lot of missed opportunities !
Old 1st April 2011, 17:52   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Manuuj,
1. Delightful !

2. Before you call that M&M sales guy names - please have a quick word the "someone else's LoH" 's MoH (Man of the House) and you'll know whether the M&M chap did you a great disservice or a great favour.
For all you know, after the chat, you may try and trace out that M&M chap after all these years and start kissing the very ground that he walks on -out of sheer gratitude !

Seriously on that Qualis and Scorpio chukkers, yeah like life - lot of missed opportunities !
Well no more missed opportunities for us I say Bertram. Since we are now equipped with the right errr..equipment we shall boldly go forth where only Mountain Goats grazed and Tigers did feed.

There may be never enough time to go everywhere that we wish to go. But we shall always find ourselves letting out a satisfied sigh everytime we drive our Fortuners and be happy in the knowledge that atleast now.. we CAN.

On that Note..my trip to Manali Via Simla looks very likely now. Cant Wait.

As for as the (other man's) LoH is concerned, due diligence has been performed and a box of chocolates dispatched to every M&M sales outlet in the country.
Old 1st April 2011, 18:40   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Well no more missed opportunities for us I say Bertram. Since we are now equipped with the right errr..equipment we shall boldly go forth where only Mountain Goats grazed and Tigers did feed.

As for as the (other man's) LoH is concerned, due diligence has been performed and a box of chocolates dispatched to every M&M sales outlet in the country.
Quite right dear chap, it is quite a secure feeling to know that you have something that can pull you out of nasty spots and bothersome crannies. Recall on the recent trip to C'magalur there was a spot where there was a line up as there was a road block due to an accident a few meters ahead. Ordinarily would have waited in the line. No, not this time, I didn't - went off the road to the left, down the embankment took the wisp of a trail below with the right side wheels on the embankment and left on the trail travelled a few meters thus (with accompanying screams of the offspring and tonnes of dust all over), bypassed the bullock cart-car smash up, yelling cartwallah-carwallah and other indeterminate wallahs, cut right and went up the embankment and on to the road and took off with a smug look but very dry mouth. For a moment the fighting wallahs stopped and stared at the apparition rising from the embankment...and then continued with their fight. Of course I didn't even have to engage the HL, the AWD took care of it.
In the Scorp - bless his soul, I wouldn't have dared to do it, though I am sure he too would have done it easily.

But then secure in the knowledge of the prowess of the system you do a lot of things. At the same time awareness of its limitations is also a powerful tool. I was quite worried about the ramp breakover angle at the top when I had to come up and to the right. Remembered reading a thread here where it was mentioned how the fuel tank could take a beating if the break over angle was nasty (Mr Sudev's off road adventure with the TFort).

Luckily the top was very soft with lots of mud, not much of an angle as the vehicle itself was almost longitudinal as it made its was up diagonally and Admiral just powered his way through. A very dry mouth it was though !

Oh yes, rather delighted at the news of the chocolates being despatched to all the M&M sales outlets. Don't forget sending a huge hamper (with a few bottles of the finest moonshine you can find, if you don't mind) to the poor, wretched soul who is the damsel's cross bearer now. After all its due to him, apart from the kindered soul of a M&M sales guy, that you are home and dry !

Last edited by Guderian : 1st April 2011 at 18:52.
Old 1st April 2011, 21:10   #279
Senior - BHPian

A Quick Update & A Recurrent Puzzle !

This evening on my way back had a hungry mouth to feed.
Ahso ! Filled up fuel Admiral San ?

Yes indeed and the city average seems to be constantly increasing or so it looks. For the first time the 'in city average' breached the 12 mark. Today's FE figure was 12.15 KMPL. This with 100% AC. But I certainly know that the roads are relatively less crowded in the mornings and evenings due the summer hols of schools and the WC etc.

The lowering of the tyre pressure to 32 PSI hasn't adversely impacted the FE, it appears.

And the puzzle is an old one of the MID reading. The MID showed 12.7 KMPL for this tankful. Now the 0.55 KMPL difference is now begining to get me thinking and raise the old Q's again. Is there some issue ? Because I believe the calculation I carry out - tankful to tankful is likely to be more accurate. So would there be anything wrong with the MID ?
Or could there be an issue with the fuel dispenser meter at the fuel dump ? Go only to this BPCL 'Pure for Sure' outlet in Thane.

What is the experience you have with the MID -Manuuj/Nilanjan/Sutripta/Manmohan/Ravi G/Anshuman et al ? Could you please share your thoughts here on this ?
The other parameters on the MID seem to be OK - at least direction/time, the rest I wouldn't have clue -by way of a method to check its accuracy.
Till date, from all the fuel fills, the MID and my calculations have matched only twice.

Before the scratching of my scalp, out of sheer state of puzzlement, leads me to dig a hole into my skull and my fingers feel the gooey grey matter, or the absence of it, would like to get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by Guderian : 1st April 2011 at 21:14.
Old 1st April 2011, 21:29   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

LOL a 2WD is certainly NOT a pucca SUV, by any standards. I can vouch for that having owned one Scorpio 2WD in 2004-05. It was a swaying boat & NO traction when in situations of just loose dirt.

Just because you have one - do not defend it beyond it's worth.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 1st April 2011 at 21:31.
Old 1st April 2011, 23:29   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
LOL a 2WD is certainly NOT a pucca SUV, by any standards.Just because you have one - do not defend it beyond it's worth.
The Scorpio comes in 4wd as well. And people like HVK have proven where a 2wd Scorpio can go. It has proven itself without me needing to do it.
Old 2nd April 2011, 05:20   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Scorpio comes in 4wd as well. And people like HVK have proven where a 2wd Scorpio can go. It has proven itself without me needing to do it.
Yo Dev, Easy my friend !
All that is being stated is that as per popular and tech definition of SUV, a 2WD Scorp can't be termed as a pucca (OK -true blue, if you please) SUV. Sure good ol' Scorp comes in the 4WD version - that of course could be defined as a propah SUV, yes.

And also, as I and others here and elsewhere have stated, the 2WD Scorp can go to almost 90% of the places, as it has been driven here and there - but that can be also done by a light car, like an Alto, which many good folks have taken to visually/virtually impossible places - but there light weight and resultant power ratio helps.

However that 10% of remaining squelchy spots is the real holy grail for the SUV runners, where in some spots, possibly even the heavies like TFort have an issue and where the humble, yet nimble footed, jeep could scamper away like a mountain goat, even with no fancy garnishes to its aid - but with just a 4X4 trans.

Aloha !
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:42   #283
Senior - BHPian

I dont have a MID in my car.
But from what i have read, the MID can be off by about 1km sometimes even upto 2 while calculating the fuel efficiency figures. And usually they are on the optimistic side. Nothing like the good old tank to tank method to calculate efficiency. And btw that is some figure you got there. This is one heavy awd and yet. Fantastic! After @noopster you better host a mileage party too.

Last edited by mdsaab : 2nd April 2011 at 09:44.
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:46   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks but I am fully aware there is a 4WD version available in the Scorpio, and like I said I have owned a 2WD one for a year+, so let us just say I am quite "aware of it's capabilities" No need to turn all defensive, chill bro !!

Quote:
Yo Dev, Easy my friend !
All that is being stated is that as per popular and tech definition of SUV, a 2WD Scorp can't be termed as a pucca (OK -true blue, if you please) SUV. Sure good ol' Scorp comes in the 4WD version - that of course could be defined as a propah SUV, yes.

And also, as I and others here and elsewhere have stated, the 2WD Scorp can go to almost 90% of the places, as it has been driven here and there - but that can be also done by a light car, like an Alto, which many good folks have taken to visually/virtually impossible places - but there light weight and resultant power ratio helps.

However that 10% of remaining squelchy spots is the real holy grail for the SUV runners, where in some spots, possibly even the heavies like TFort have an issue and where the humble, yet nimble footed, jeep could scamper away like a mountain goat, even with no fancy garnishes to its aid - but with just a 4X4 trans.

Aloha !

There we have all the anxiety put to rest - I hope.

So can we go back to the main topic & the beautiful writing ?

Cheers
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:30   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And also, as I and others here and elsewhere have stated, the 2WD Scorp can go to almost 90% of the places, as it has been driven here and there - but that can be also done by a light car, like an Alto,
Tell me you are not serious on this one, please.

I m surprised that other advantages like the GC, the LET of the diesel, bigger tires, greater suspension travel to mention a few hold no good.
Closed Thread