Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 2nd April 2011, 11:11   #286
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps

Humble request from a person who owns neither a Scorp or a T-Fort.

Can we have the discussion on Scorp as an SUV in a separate thread please? I am worried that as more Scorp/Tfort owners continue reading the current discussion on the thread there would be more replies and we would be digressing from the original thread.
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:32   #287
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. A Month of Ownership & New Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I dont have a MID in my car.
But from what i have read, the MID can be off by about 1km sometimes even upto 2 while calculating the fuel efficiency figures. And usually they are on the optimistic side. Nothing like the good old tank to tank method to calculate efficiency. And btw that is some figure you got there. This is one heavy awd and yet. Fantastic! After @noopster you better host a mileage party too.
Hi mdsaab, Thanks. You are right the tank to tank method is the best but of course is the creepy feeling that the dispenser meter could also be fouled up.
But then living with imperfections is what living is all about !

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Tell me you are not serious on this one, please.

I m surprised that other advantages like the GC, the LET of the diesel, bigger tires, greater suspension travel to mention a few hold no good.
Hi Dev - Look at my lips - i ain't even smiling, much less joking.
Anyway - this would be my last response on the 'Is 2WD Scorp a SUV ?' discussion !

To the point, you'd of course know that the Nano has a GC of 180 mm that's about the same as the Scorp. That doesn't say much eh ? ('What the Dickens ! Am I starting a 'Is Nano a SUV debate ?!!'')

Also all the other goodies you have mentioned are great and I love them, having driven on those advantages for a long time, but to offset that the lighter cars may have something equally good, yeah ? That's why even a Matiz and other lighter cars can do a Leh/Ladakh with equal aplomb I guess and go to the very same spots that a Scorp 2WD would - plenty of write ups on TBHP and elsewhere on that.

And in no way is it a denigration of the good ol' Scorp.

But then just lets enjoy the drive and forget the piquant Q's !
Let's live life TFort size !

Last edited by Guderian : 2nd April 2011 at 11:37.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:34   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Humble request from a person who owns neither a Scorp or a T-Fort.

Can we have the discussion on Scorp as an SUV in a separate thread please? I am worried that as more Scorp/Tfort owners continue reading the current discussion on the thread there would be more replies and we would be digressing from the original thread.
Hey Amit, Great. Liked the interjection. I am through as desired by you sir !
So let's get back to the TFort - say, when are you buying your TFort ?

Last edited by Guderian : 2nd April 2011 at 11:37.
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:56   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

@Guderian: Wow! 20 pages of excellent writing! I wasn't following this thread for a few days, and came back to find your description below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
...I was trying to convince him that I wanted a 4X4, circa April 2005 :

SH: "Why saar 4X4? You won't go to such places at all saar, bigass normally families also don't like to go to such places !"
Me:" Why ?"
SH:"Bigaaas (singsong) normally there are no toilette facilities in such places then families, how go ?"
M: "Well not to worry we will figure out something, but I think I am clear I want a 4X4."
SH: "Don't worry even if you go to such places even the 4X2 can do the job."
M: "Have you been to such places yourself"
SH: "No saar. I don't travel much, even if I do not by road at all, all my journeys to the south at most,by train..."
...which left me rolling in laughter. Had to show this to my SWMBO, and the similarity of our experience in dealing with an M&M dealer was not lost on her. Except that I made sure that I got the 4x4 tranny, and you can't point a finger at H-4® and say "That isn't a pucca / true-blue SUV"!
Old 2nd April 2011, 13:01   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@Guderian: Wow! 20 pages of excellent writing! I wasn't following this thread for a few days, and came back to find your description below...

...which left me rolling in laughter. Had to show this to my SWMBO, and the similarity of our experience in dealing with an M&M dealer was not lost on her. Except that I made sure that I got the 4x4 tranny, and you can't point a finger at H-4® and say "That isn't a pucca / true-blue SUV"!
Hi Doc,
Welcome back and thanks for the warm words !

Oh yes, all of us have been having a good rollicking time in your absence. See what happens when you wander away ?

Actually been reading your thread since the day it went up because it was around that time the itch to change the 2WD Scorp to a 4WD started again and your thread and experience/s was a delight to follow. Glad that you are having swell time with the MHaHa /H-4®. Infact HVK (who is a good chum and lives near my place) did mention about your adventures sometime ago !
In fact this time too, when I was looking for a 4X4 did make attempts to get the dealer chap, M&M interested almost a year ago - but then their lack of response and my desire ultimately to experience a new brand made me to drop it like a hot potato. Or else we would have been swapping stories of sorties on the respective MHaHas !

And call an 'ekdum SUV' like H-4® anything else ? Well sir, life is beautiful, not yet tired of living and so don't desire to get run over by a pack of wild Scorp(4WD)s driven by irate owners on a lonely road...!

Last edited by Guderian : 2nd April 2011 at 13:29.
Old 2nd April 2011, 14:07   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...your thread and experience/s was a delight to follow.
Thank you, Sir, we do follow each other here and elsewhere!
Quote:
...run over by a pack of wild Scorp(4WD)s driven by irate owners on a lonely road...!
Oh no! I carry an "I Drive Safe" sticker on the tailgate, and wouldn't be found in that pack, thank you!
Quote:
...HVK (who is a good chum and lives near my place)...
Oh, you mean the gentleman who is travelling from here to the moon on his Scorpio, and is still 1,23,000 km short? I suppose he'll pick up a T-Fort too, once he gets to the moon (he hates changing vehicles half-way, I think ).
Old 2nd April 2011, 15:15   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Oh no! I carry an "I Drive Safe" sticker on the tailgate, and wouldn't be found in that pack, thank you!

2. Oh, you mean the gentleman who is travelling from here to the moon on his Scorpio, and is still 1,23,000 km short? I suppose he'll pick up a T-Fort too, once he gets to the moon (he hates changing vehicles half-way, I think ).
1. Heavens ! I never meant you. What ever gave you that idea. The others of course - who don't carry that sticker. But yes, your words come as a relief though.
PS: However wild the pack may be, the Admiral of course can outrun any of them. Besides of course changing course and charging back and scattering them, like a Lion tearing into a pack of Hyenas.

2. No, no this would be his third time to the moon. Earlier trips, in the Scorpio of course - he was refused entry by the Moonlings - once he landed up there during a Lunar eclipse and they couldn't see him and the other time - Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were ahead of him, together with Collins hanging around somewhere and so they couldn't handle more tourists than that, they turned back HVK with his visa stamped "Baad Mein Aana ".

Last edited by Guderian : 2nd April 2011 at 15:27.
Old 2nd April 2011, 17:02   #293

Get an K&N filter & Pete's chip fitted the city average will be dearer to 9.5 & highway at 10.8

Quote:
Quite right dear chap, it is quite a secure feeling to know that you have something that can pull you out of nasty spots and bothersome crannies. Recall on the recent trip to C'magalur there was a spot where there was a line up as there was a road block due to an accident a few meters ahead. Ordinarily would have waited in the line. No, not this time, I didn't - went off the road to the left, down the embankment took the wisp of a trail below with the right side wheels on the embankment and left on the trail travelled a few meters thus (with accompanying screams of the offspring and tonnes of dust all over), bypassed the bullock cart-car smash up, yelling cartwallah-carwallah and other indeterminate wallahs, cut right and went up the embankment and on to the road and took off with a smug look but very dry mouth. For a moment the fighting wallahs stopped and stared at the apparition rising from the embankment...and then continued with their fight. Of course I didn't even have to engage the HL, the AWD took care of it.
In the Scorp - bless his soul, I wouldn't have dared to do it, though I am sure he too would have done it easily.

But then secure in the knowledge of the prowess of the system you do a lot of things. At the same time awareness of its limitations is also a powerful tool. I was quite worried about the ramp breakover angle at the top when I had to come up and to the right. Remembered reading a thread here where it was mentioned how the fuel tank could take a beating if the break over angle was nasty (Mr Sudev's off road adventure with the TFort).

Luckily the top was very soft with lots of mud, not much of an angle as the vehicle itself was almost longitudinal as it made its was up diagonally and Admiral just powered his way through. A very dry mouth it was though !

Oh yes, rather delighted at the news of the chocolates being despatched to all the M&M sales outlets. Don't forget sending a huge hamper (with a few bottles of the finest moonshine you can find, if you don't mind) to the poor, wretched soul who is the damsel's cross bearer now. After all its due to him, apart from the kindered soul of a M&M sales guy, that you are home and dry !
Old 2nd April 2011, 17:35   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...changing course and charging back and scattering them, like a Lion tearing into a pack of Hyenas.
Yeah, I noticed the bull bar. (Lion? Admiralion? Bull? Bar? Togo? Where? What's happening here? )
Quote:
...this would be his third time to the moon. Earlier trips, in the Scorpio of course...
Oops - we forgot those aborted attempts on the TVS-Suzuki AX100 and the Matiz...
Old 2nd April 2011, 19:16   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. (Lion? Admiralion? Bull? Bar? Togo? Where? What's happening here? )

2. Oops - we forgot those aborted attempts on the TVS-Suzuki AX100 and the Matiz...
1. Add 'Like' to all those words and matters would be rather clear.
2. Right - and trips to other planets ?
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:50   #296
Senior - BHPian

Stories from a Sunday School. April 3, 2011.

Decades ago when Dad was posted in Udhampur - J&K, during the '71 war, as a little kid I had the delightful experience of studying (errr...studying - wrong choice of word - attending would be more appropriate) in what was then called the Mt. Carmel Convent, Udhampur. Now I am told it has been taken over by the Army.

Those days it was run by a bunch of real stern Irish nuns - but inspite of them I turned out to be what I am today ! But I am digressing.

The point of bringing them nuns into this narrative is that in the couple of years I attended school there, I was, on quite a few occasions, dragged to the Sunday School (2/3 Sundays a month !) as one had to compulsorily attend it irrespective of ones religious denomination. Yes, it was a far more tolerant age where such weekly tortures were looked upon by parents as a part of growing up rather than seen as attempts to subvert somebody's religious beliefs and it was certainly looked upon by my parents as some kind of relief for 2/3 hours and also with great hope that it would put some sense into me and get me to behave like a normal child.
In the end neither ends were met. For when I returned home, I returned with a vengeance and those 2/3 hours of peace they had was all undone and behaviour of a normal child never passed by me, even once.

Siiigh - I am again digressing. That's right, what has all this got to do in this auto forum ? And who is really interested in rantings about your childhood ?

Alright there is some link here. (No, no for once no URL being pasted here !)

Firstly today is a Sunday.

Secondly just like attending the Sunday School I just didn't want to go.
Meaning to go down to carry out my Sunday routine with the Admiral.

Had a very late night, though I am not a cricket buff (sacrilege I know in our country - but for me, talk football and hockey then we can meet !). Because the family wanted me to sit through, as when ever I got up an Indian wicket fell - even during the Indo-Pak match.

But in the morning the very same people chased me out. LoH as she wanted me to check her car "without fail, no excuses do you read me loud and clear ?" What a Q to ask ! On a deathly quiet morning walking through something like a abbey, with priests on strike, how can you miss hearing something like a ship's fog horn ? And off she went for her knotty yoga class.

And the son wanted me out of the house as he wanted to continue sleeping after his parents left or had some better preoccupation which wouldn't be possible with me around.

And so faced with a popular uprising at home and staring at a prospect of not getting my usual lip smacking, sinful Sunday lunch I had no option but to trot off downstairs.

And then of course I brightened up considerably thinking about the time I'd spend with the Admiral. And learn a few things like at the Sunday School. And hoped that it'd cleansen my soul.

Bleary eyed and yawning I arrived at the duty post with all the armaments.

And the GDW, normally a very serious chap, came in with a big smile and rather cheerful.

"Kya hua - bahut khush dikhai de rahe ho.....?" I asked him with a wee doubt in my mind.
He looked at me as though he was speaking to a retarted chap and:
"Aapko maloom nahi hai ? Hum jeet gaye cup. Aur to abhi kuch baki nahin hai !"
Thank God ! I thought he was going to ask for a raise...

Now once again let the photographs do the talking of my learnings from the Sunday School today:

This lung cover (air filter box top really !) is mighty hard to clean. The ribs etc ( as can be seen) picks up a lot of dirt. Why is the design so complicated ? Cant it be a simple smooth surface with minimum ribs ?
Name:  DSC06898.JPG
Views: 2683
Size:  283.8 KB

The NVH cover also picks up a lot of dust, what with the lattice work (or Lucknavi Chikan work !) also present, for the intercooler air flow. Takes quite a bit of time 'fingering it' and cleaning :
Name:  DSC06900.JPG
Views: 3151
Size:  295.3 KB

The 'Jalabhishekham' of the engine bay results in even the bottom plates needing a wipe to look nice or else it'll look like this:
Name:  DSC06901.JPG
Views: 2688
Size:  131.5 KB

Lot of water through the grill needs to be splashed to keep the radiator free of muck. Helps to keep the fins clean and the AC remains in top gear through out:
Name:  DSC06904.JPG
Views: 2549
Size:  195.0 KB

The TFort has quite a bit of twisting and turning, ribbed plastic which is a pain to maintain. Relatively the Scorpio had more metal and straight lines. Easier to clean and it picked up no muck. These portions in the TFort pick up some serious dirt lines:
Name:  DSC06907.JPG
Views: 2507
Size:  194.1 KB

The TFort has a very limpid, reed thin dip stick. Which is a little hard to yank out thanks to a hard curve in it. For a huge fellow, with big other parts, this is an amusingly thin and small 'thing' !
Name:  DSC06919.JPG
Views: 2449
Size:  162.1 KB
Name:  DSC06918.JPG
Views: 2405
Size:  191.3 KB

The air intake is pretty high up. The intake scoops up air thrown uo from the reverse air dam and from the space behind the radiator with air flow fed into the right side by some nifty plastics behind the radiator: (Got a kink in the neck getting these shots)
Name:  DSC06928.JPG
Views: 2434
Size:  198.3 KB
Name:  DSC06931.JPG
Views: 2685
Size:  270.1 KB

To have a look inside, opened up the fuse box.
Name:  DSC06720.JPG
Views: 2740
Size:  182.7 KB

The layout of the fuse box is extremely tidy and neat with spare fuses. However the cover of the fuse box is paper thin and crisp - almost sounds like and would be mistaken it for a ummm....Pappadom !
Name:  DSC06916.JPG
Views: 7572
Size:  239.8 KB
The fuse box cover has neat and readable layout diagrams with explanations.
Name:  DSC06915.JPG
Views: 6939
Size:  265.5 KB

The power steering oil reservoir cap. Even this has Japanese instructions.
Arre bhai can we have something in Hindi please as well ? Something which goes -" Kripya idhar se tel khana pakane ke liye na le !"
Name:  DSC06921.JPG
Views: 2423
Size:  241.2 KB

A cute little hook under the bonnet to hold up the under bonnet dampers:
Name:  DSC06906.JPG
Views: 2220
Size:  232.2 KB
Really like these kind of design gems.

Also like one thing with the TFort and Toyota. Every little component possible has the Toyota stamp.
(As an avid collector of curios I love items with stampings !)

A stamp just under the bonnet:
Name:  DSC06909.JPG
Views: 2154
Size:  98.6 KB

Even the door hinges have stamping:
Name:  DSC06911.JPG
Views: 2210
Size:  230.8 KB

Even relays have printed stamps:
Name:  DSC06914.JPG
Views: 2308
Size:  175.5 KB

This is the MAFS. Or Mass Air Flow Sensor sitting on top of the air filter outflow hose:
Name:  DSC06908.JPG
Views: 3489
Size:  217.7 KB

And hundred little other things - all with Toyota stamps. looks very nice. In the other vehicles I note the stamps only of the OE manufacturer.

Anyway after all the cleaning, scrubbing, panting, groaning, huffing and puffing got back home after about 3 hours. Was mighty pleased with myself for not having broken the Sunday School tradition and of learning of ethics - like hard work and learning new things etc. But somehow I sensed something missing. Couldn't lay a finger on what it was - but something was gnawing at my sense which predicts danger. Sixth sense did you say ? Maybe.

Completed my own scrub and shine.

Came out fresh as a freshly laundered bedsheet when the LoH asked me as to how I found her car.

That's when it struck me - I had plum forgotten all about her car !

My promise of next Sunday brought forth from the good lady, a list of a string of promises made and never kept right from the first day of our married life - all in icy tones and fire breathing dragon tones alternating.

The only question that kept running in my mind like a cornered rat was as to whether don't little girls ever go to Sunday Schools ? And if so did the LoH never attend one ? And there didn't they teach them how to treat slaves, with poor memories, well ?!!

So much for a Sunday and Sunday Schools.

And about that Sunday lunch ? That's another story - lets come back to it some other day shall we ?

Last edited by Guderian : 3rd April 2011 at 21:17.
Old 4th April 2011, 15:12   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So let's get back to the TFort - say, when are you buying your TFort ?
Yeah i have started saving for it. Hope by the time i am able to save the moolah the model is not phased out. Now you know how much time i am going to take
Old 5th April 2011, 10:43   #298
Senior - BHPian

Admiral Volunteers for a Pre Dawn Raid !

Monday was a holiday thanks to 'Guddi Padwa', Maharashtrian New Years Day.

And the prospect of a longish drive made the Admiral & me volunteer for a pre dawn raid. Or else on days that I don't drive - holidays and the like - I sure turn crabby !

And so we left Thane at:
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1978
Size:  60.7 KB

And reached here in 25 minutes. Was lovely driving in Mumbai at that unearthly hour.
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 2003
Size:  204.9 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 1962
Size:  252.8 KB
Name:  4.JPG
Views: 1964
Size:  253.5 KB
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 1981
Size:  242.3 KB
Name:  8.JPG
Views: 1943
Size:  229.1 KB
Any guesses where would this place be ?

Anyway, this of course is the Dadar kabootarkhana ! Kabootars ? Change of heart ? Willing to be bombed by them ? Nope, not at all. They were rather conspicuous by their absence.

And this is how the khana looks without the Kabootars:
Name:  6.JPG
Views: 1915
Size:  239.6 KB
Name:  7.JPG
Views: 1908
Size:  203.8 KB

And as mentioned in one of my earlier posts it is wonderful observing the street activities in Mumbai anytime of the day ! And at that time sure enough, came in an ice lorry and here the men and their activities:
- Ice blocks Unloaded.
- Dragged and placed.
- Insulated for the day. Was told it could remain that a way with a little bit of loss till the evening !
Name:  9.JPG
Views: 1879
Size:  158.3 KB
Name:  10.JPG
Views: 1891
Size:  278.9 KB
Name:  11.JPG
Views: 1860
Size:  224.2 KB
Name:  12.JPG
Views: 1837
Size:  207.7 KB
Name:  13.JPG
Views: 1844
Size:  215.6 KB
Name:  14.JPG
Views: 1829
Size:  202.2 KB
Name:  15.JPG
Views: 1819
Size:  223.1 KB
Name:  16.JPG
Views: 1817
Size:  211.7 KB
Name:  17.JPG
Views: 1811
Size:  207.4 KB
Name:  18.JPG
Views: 1799
Size:  163.7 KB
Name:  19.JPG
Views: 1802
Size:  261.2 KB
Name:  20.JPG
Views: 1799
Size:  207.3 KB
Name:  21.JPG
Views: 1791
Size:  229.5 KB

Well one would be careful drinking this with blobbing pieces of ice after seeing the dragging and storing ! Or does it add to the taste ?
Name:  22.JPG
Views: 1847
Size:  255.7 KB
Lassi !

Meanwhile the area slowly wakes up:
Name:  23.JPG
Views: 1790
Size:  212.8 KB
Name:  24.JPG
Views: 1777
Size:  229.5 KB

And finally there arrives, with the LoH, the purpose of our visit ! You see at least once or twice a month the LoH comes here to fill the house with a multitude of exotic types of these - for the next week or so.
Name:  25.JPG
Views: 1805
Size:  340.1 KB
Flowers. All kinds of them. The best place to pick up the exotic variety and at bargain rates is here, is what I have been lead to believe.

And we leave the place at:
Name:  26.JPG
Views: 1745
Size:  118.5 KB

Dawn breaks at Mulund flyover:
Name:  27.JPG
Views: 1742
Size:  142.6 KB

Nearer home a canopy of trees and sun breaks out full force:
Name:  28.JPG
Views: 1790
Size:  250.3 KB

And when we are there we are greeted outside by Max (standing) and Sam (Samantha) - a friend's pugs. And the LoH is all over them.
Name:  29.JPG
Views: 1775
Size:  279.4 KB
Name:  30.JPG
Views: 1768
Size:  282.7 KB

What a perfect drive and way to begin a day at home.

Mmm...Mumbai meri jaan !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2011, 12:43   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Some Additional Snaps - 1 - Another Brick in the Wall.

Rubber cladding:
Attachment 511786

1-1/2 inch thick rubber - what a search it proved to be ! Everything was either too hard or too soft. Finally found this in a Byculla street - Rs.65 a KG. Got a piece with weighed 9 KGs:
Attachment 511787
Kind sir, just what i want for my parking bays. Any technical name for this? Need to find it in delhi. if anyone has any pointers?

P.S: Your pen's mighty fine, so keep it up! And I have my eyes on your admiral! intend to bring home a twin brother as soon as bank agrees
Old 6th April 2011, 15:56   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
Kind sir, just what i want for my parking bays. Any technical name for this? Need to find it in delhi. if anyone has any pointers?

P.S: Your pen's mighty fine, so keep it up! And I have my eyes on your admiral! intend to bring home a twin brother as soon as bank agrees
Hi BR, Thank you very much for the words of appreciation. Though I almost mis-read - "Your pen's mighty fine, so keep it up!" !!!

About the parking bay cladding - it is simply called a rubber sheet. No real technical name.
It is about 1-1/2 inches thick and costs about Rs 65/- per kilo in Mumbai and I had to get a 9 KG piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Yeah i have started saving for it. Hope by the time i am able to save the moolah the model is not phased out. Now you know how much time i am going to take
Hey Amit, Not to worry about the finances - it'll just work out once you make up your mind. After all you can always start the ALTFBF. Or Amit Lele TFort Benevolent Fund. And ask all the good folks around you to contribute.

My only concern is that after the ALTFBF is launched you might be renamed Amit Dede !

Last edited by Guderian : 6th April 2011 at 16:07.
Closed Thread