Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 13th April 2011, 07:30   #331
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

@Guderian,

dot and I had the "new car smell" discussion when we did the Chakan visit recently. My car alas is fast losing it now that it's in 4th month/4000km of ownership. The fact that I have pure leather instead of art does help as does the Grandy car perfume I've stuck on the dash! But new car smell is unbeatable and sadly can't be bottled despite people's tall claims!
Old 13th April 2011, 09:44   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
General it has been a pleasure going through this thread. Would be waiting for further updates as soon as they come. Its my daily dose of humour. Don't misunderstand me here. Amidst all the techincal stuff what makes your post interesting to read is the generous dose of humour.

Wishing you a very long and happy ownership.
Hi Amit, Your participation here is a delight. And I have great fun too, putting up the tidbits.
Be around !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I had once bought a set of car freshener hangers claiming to have "new" car smell. You know those tree like things that one can hang around the RVM. Unfortunately the smell was nowhere near a "new" car. Sorry to be a bringer of bad/useless news. Hopefully there are better products.

On a different context; Automotive OEMs are obsessed to get a good new car smell. Customers love new car smell, as we all know. Analysis of new car smell is done by many chemical companies. The findings are not always pleasant. The stuff from which the smell comes from is actually not all that nice.
Hi Dot - You party pooper !
But was told that in Germany you get those freshners which smell of new cars or a spray or something. Perhaps that too may not be very close to the real thing !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Sire!
After reading your whole thread, I've got a hazy picture of what my next affordable-dream car should be . Silently following your thread.

I've seen some fortuners with yellowish HID kits. Do they come in stock?
Hi mikon, Thanks. Glad that you broke your maun vrat !
No the yellowish kits are not stock. After market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Would love to bottle up some of that new car smell too. Unfortunately have come to realise that this just isn't possible.
I agree with @dot here that the stuff from where the smell comes isn't actually nice. Infact i had read somewhere that new cars actually can affect your health. It seems they emit a lot of toxins when new. I am speaking of the interiors here. But i don't think that is ever going to stop us from buying a new car now, is it?
Buy New! Drive Safe!
Hi mdsaab, Yes the smell/discharge from some of the chemicals from the new car items - plastics, mats and other vinyls could be harmful. But the artificial fragrance to mimic the smell may not necessarily be harmful. but then anything artificial is harmful. Even the deos that we use now can be carcinogenic thanks to the aluminium content is what I read somewhere. But then even water/H2O is extremely harmful. I am told exposure to water - of you face into a bucket of H2O - for just 4 minutes is fatal !

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
@Guderian: I got a similar underbody treatment done from 3M in blr. Wondering why that shop didnt mask the door panels, brakes.

Attachment 530338

Here are the pics of underbody coating
Hi quadra, In Admiral's case no masking at all - possibly due to the fact about the size, layout as well as the fact the parts in your car to be coated with anitrust could be very near the door panels etc. And of course your baby being of a monococque design and the Admiral having a ladder therefore the areas to be coated being different ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@Guderian,

dot and I had the "new car smell" discussion when we did the Chakan visit recently. My car alas is fast losing it now that it's in 4th month/4000km of ownership. The fact that I have pure leather instead of art does help as does the Grandy car perfume I've stuck on the dash! But new car smell is unbeatable and sadly can't be bottled despite people's tall claims!
Hi Anoop, Yes real pity that. That you and dot discussed about the new car smell but didn't do anything about it ! As they say when all is said and done, more is said than done ! (Just kiddin' mates !)

All this talk about new car smell and our (auto lovers) fetish for the new car smell reminds me of my batchmate from the boarding school (now a senior army officer) who had a fetish for socks/stockings. We were not quite very sure why but he had this thing to take his woolen stockings on weekends and disappear for a few minutes or so. Till we snooped on him and found that he used to inhale deeply the aroma of the sweaty uniform stockings and then drift away ! When caught, he confessed that he needed to have the fix on the weekends, as it reminded him of home. Later we discovered the reason. His father was a national level Army hockey player and used to intensely practice on the weekends. The result was when he returned home the whole house used to be 'redolent' with the 'fragrance' of his games stockings !
And if a Colonel, from a crack infantry regiment, somewhere is reading this post...I am truly done for !

Last edited by Guderian : 13th April 2011 at 10:05.
Old 13th April 2011, 10:08   #333
Senior - BHPian

I have one of those sprays to make the car smell like new. It is very similar but not the exact same smell. Got it from Canada.

It is a pleasant odour but does not last beyond a few hours.

Cheers
Old 13th April 2011, 10:49   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I have one of those sprays to make the car smell like new. It is very similar but not the exact same smell. Got it from Canada.

It is a pleasant odour but does not last beyond a few hours.

Cheers
Saaay...when are you heading to Canada again ? And when are you getting back to Gurgaon - would be via Mumbai/Thane I presume ?

Even a few hours of bliss every now and then is just fine by me !
Old 13th April 2011, 11:01   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
I am told exposure to water - of you face into a bucket of H2O - for just 4 minutes is fatal !
LOL! You don't say. But what you won't believe is that the article actually suggested to roll down the windows of your brand new car everytime you drive for the first couple of months. Can you imagine. I dont like to roll the windows down even now on our 3 year old car. Who wants to take chances with polluting the interiors. A real eye opener that article was. But are we car obsessed folks going to actually follow. I think NOT!
Keep the windows up. AC on. Drive safe!
Old 13th April 2011, 11:24   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL! You don't say. But what you won't believe is that the article actually suggested to roll down the windows of your brand new car everytime you drive for the first couple of months. Can you imagine. I dont like to roll the windows down even now on our 3 year old car. Who wants to take chances with polluting the interiors. A real eye opener that article was. But are we car obsessed folks going to actually follow. I think NOT!
Keep the windows up. AC on. Drive safe!
Hi mdsaab, I think I remember the article that you are referring to I guess. That was the very same article which spoke of carcinogenic elements being released by car interiors when under sun for a long time or otherwise and whenever the car is occupied and started the windows should be left open and driven for 5 minutes or so before rolling/powering up the windows and switching on the AC.
Life sure is getting complicated day by day !
And after all the health precautions you take like this and no smoking, no drinking, safe s**, no this, no that...you could still get run over by a truck. Gaaad !
Old 13th April 2011, 14:08   #337
Senior - BHPian

What to do, this is all a part of life.
So what's your take are you going to roll the windows down and let all that new car smell drift away?
Old 13th April 2011, 14:49   #338
Senior - BHPian

Default English As She is Spoke......

English As She is Spoke......!

OK folks ! Found the first 'gross' error in the TFort !

Is it mechnical ? Nope.
Is it electrical ? Negative !
Fittings ? Nein !
Accessories ? Nyet !
Tyres ? Nada !
Fittings ? Nahin, nahin !

Far worse. English !

On the two ORVMs - left and right is the phrase - "Object in the mirror are closer than they appear "

Name:  DSC06625.JPG
Views: 857
Size:  120.9 KB
Name:  DSC06628.JPG
Views: 860
Size:  185.8 KB

Now how did they miss out the 'S' in 'object'/objects ?

And not sure how did I miss this all these days ? And now I get very irritated glancing at the ORVMs.

How does one insert a 'S' there ? Finicky am I ? Hmmm...or someone is going to suggest drive with the ORVMs folded - dangerous !

And would request Uncle Toyota to send a copy of "Learn English in 30 Days" - Balaji Publications, to their outsourced vendor supplying ORVM unit mirrors.

Or do the ORVMs too come from Thailand or some such place and so it's English as it is there ?

Mighty annoyed.

Last edited by Guderian : 13th April 2011 at 14:58.
Old 13th April 2011, 14:54   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What to do, this is all a part of life.
So what's your take are you going to roll the windows down and let all that new car smell drift away?
Stop yanking my chain !

Nope. No way. Got to find a way to preserve the smell till Ricky 63 comes back with the NAS (New Auto Smell) Spray from Kaneda !

Last edited by Guderian : 13th April 2011 at 14:56.
Old 13th April 2011, 14:56   #340
BHPian

Default Re: English As She is Spoke......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
English As She is Spoke......!

OK folks ! Found the first 'gross' error in the TFort !

Is it mechnical ? Nope.
Is it electrical ? Negative !
Fittings ? Nein !
Accessories ? Nyet !
Tyres ? Nada !
Fittings ? Nahin, nahin !

Far worse. English !

On the two ORVMs - left and right is the phrase - "Object in the mirror are closer than they appear "

Attachment 530480
Attachment 530481

Now how did they miss out an 'S' in 'object'/objects ?

And not sure how did I miss this all these days ? And now I get very irritated glancing at the ORVMs.

How does one insert a 'S' there ? Finicky am I ? Hmmm...or someone is going to suggest drive with the ORVMs folded - dangerous !

And would request Uncle Toyota to send a copy of "Learn English in 30 Days" - Balaji Publications, to their outsourced vendor supplying ORVM unit mirrors.

Or do the ORVMs too come from Thailand or some such place and so it's English as it is there ?

Mighty annoyed.
Are you by any chance a fellow Virgoen? I ask as I too get offended by the un-offendables and need everything to be perfect! :P
SumitB is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 14:59   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Are you by any chance a fellow Virgoen? I ask as I too get offended by the un-offendables and need everything to be perfect! :P
if a guy asks you what your star sign is, you've gotta be careful
Old 13th April 2011, 15:01   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yeah, careful on a dating site! I don't think this rule applies to T-BHP.
Old 13th April 2011, 15:06   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Sumit, The offspring of mine is one !
And I am, without being a Virgo, rather finicky about such things. Or am I ?

OK on re-examination may not be that finicky - but the feeling that if one has shelled out what one has shelled out for the product, which is supposed to be a premium product - the English should be perfecto ?

Now get a cheapish feeling as though the whole unit is 'Made in China' or some such place where English is not heard of or they don't want to be hear of it either.

That's right - Toyota Foltunel flom China !

Last edited by Guderian : 13th April 2011 at 15:08.
Old 13th April 2011, 15:10   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yo Venks ! Thanks for the warning. Missed that.
So Sumit shall we go over that question again ?!! Or better not !
You can never be too sure can you ? Troubled times !
Old 13th April 2011, 15:17   #345
Team-BHP Support

I thought Herr General would reply haughtily "I was a Virgo till I joined the army"

For the record, I am not a Virgo either (in any sense of the term) and am so goshdarned finicky about such things it's not funny. I empathise totally if the Admiral gets new ORVMs without the offending syntax errors!
Closed Thread