Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 15th April 2011, 23:58   #376
BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
@Guderian: Admiral has got a demister on the rear quarter glass too? Am noticing it only now! I briefly scanned through T-BHP's official review and Admiral's too, but didn't find any mention of it.

I see that it is only for the right quarter glass?

And good that you got the rattle dismissed. Your thread is one of the most liveliest threads. Keep it up!
That is the Antenna for the Radio it is.

As for the Impact Alarm i would love to check how it is activated as there was not even a squeak from my Fortuner when it was so rudely manhandled for both its wing mirrors last December.
Old 16th April 2011, 00:22   #377
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
I just happen to be an ardent DiY guy all through - and love folks who tread that path.

DiY - that's the way to go folks - if you love your vehicle and want to get real intimate with it. All it requires is some common sense and no great tooling. Ordinary tools can fix most of the minor DiY items.

Of course, I need to confess that I have some yum tools to help me and I keep salivating for more tool kits !
Well you are my hero. I would also love to sneak upto your yummy tool kit.

Other than fixing stuff, are you planning some mods on the Admiral?

I would be dishonest if I say that I am a DIY guy. But learning. The satisfaction is a soul driver. Early days DIY attempts included repair of an eight track tape recorder and an instant polariod camera. Both caused my dad some serious BP issues. Gave DIY little rest and tried to enjoy fruits of paid labor. Then lived in US for sometime. DIY came back naturally, to a degree.

The biggest battle is not lack of knowledge or tools but actually laziness.

Quote:
Since you found the white thingy a few days later - you should have thrown the bottle away and retained the white thingy - who knows may be the fragrance would have stayed !
I should seriously take this advice. I have removed the top cap completely. But no smell.

Quote:
Hi Dot,

And what's the favourite thing these days - if one is not getting very nosey ?!!
It involves a body part.. Definitely not nose, but:

Brain.

Did anyone think anything else?

I will list my favorite thing among several daily activities, lets see if anyone can pick up the correct one.

1. Kiss my son in the morning while he is still sleeping.
2. Attack the Kalyani Nagar bridge on first gear till engine redlines in the Civic.
3. Send a Communicator message to my wife at 1:30 p.m. to check if she had lunch.
4. Check out Deepika Shake 2 on TV
5. Log in TBHP
6. Meet my boss at office.
7. Plot long term ROC of Nifty EOD.

Sorry to blabber on you thread General.
Old 16th April 2011, 00:41   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Right! Thanks for the info, Manuuj.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:58   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

And good that you got the rattle dismissed. Your thread is one of the most liveliest threads. Keep it up!
Hi Driv3r, The antenna matter answered by Manuuj. Thanks Manuuj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post

As for the Impact Alarm i would love to check how it is activated as there was not even a squeak from my Fortuner when it was so rudely manhandled for both its wing mirrors last December.
Manuj - Check out pages 27-30 of the manual. The test for the sytem on pg 30. Also you need not activate it as mentioned in my post. Only deactivate it. It gets activated automatically when you next time disarm and arm the alarm system on the vehicle. Possibly the mirrors may be out of its purview - as the manual states forcible entry, deactivating battery, jimmying the lock, door etc ! So !
The ASC still maintains there is no impact alarm. Even the Technical Head.
Glory be...Hallelujah !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
1.Well you are my hero.

2. I would also love to sneak upto your yummy tool kit.

3. Other than fixing stuff, are you planning some mods on the Admiral?

4. Kiss my son in the morning while he is still sleeping.

5. Sorry to blabber on you thread General.
1. Ouch ! Stop yanking my chain will yer ?

2. Hey ! Careful with those phrases ! You never know what 'types' are reading these posts !

3. Nope - nothing at all ! Don't like it. May be a Pete box after 3 years.

4. Is that right ?

5. Carry on sir ! Nothing like a good chatter.

Last edited by Guderian : 16th April 2011 at 10:00.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:44   #380
Senior - BHPian

Glad that the rattles have ceased to exist anymore.
Also a big thumbs up to toyota ASC for taking the time and effort to make sure the customer is satisfied. The TFort is one tough cookie so no surprises that the service intervals are spaced out and the first few are only for checkups and a wash. This thread really tempts you.
Old 16th April 2011, 11:48   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Glad that the rattles have ceased to exist anymore.
Also a big thumbs up to toyota ASC for taking the time and effort to make sure the customer is satisfied. The TFort is one tough cookie so no surprises that the service intervals are spaced out and the first few are only for checkups and a wash. This thread really tempts you.
Hi mdsaab - Actually it wasn't even a rattle by normal standards. If the windows were up you wouldn't even hear it. You wouldn't even hear it if it were down either unless you kept your ears glued for an out of the whack noise/mild rattle while running on a sustained patch of mildly rough surface. No issues when Admiral went into major pot holes at high speed or real rough roads/ patches etc
But then with a guy like me - I, who hate the vehicle being in a state which is even the teeny weeniest of departure from the normal, can be pretty frustrating for the best of ASCs.

But hats off to this product - it has been truly niggle free. I remember in the first month of owning the Scorp I went back to the ASC at least 4 times with niggles - including the same type of rattle - which was also detected to the front bumper ! So history repeating itself on the rattle ?

And kudos to the Toyota ASC chaps- they try hard to keep the customer happy !

But of course the customer has to be ever vigilant - as with anything else and everywhere !

Last edited by Guderian : 16th April 2011 at 11:59.
Old 16th April 2011, 14:09   #382
Senior - BHPian

It is comforting to hear that we are not alone.
Trust me these small sounds really bug me to no end. Had a lot to lookout for in the matiz. From the glovebox rattle, which was fixed by a diy by the way. To the roof which would funny sounds at times. It would get excrutiatingly(there is no spell check on the galaxy s) annoying at times.
Recently @dot came over and i test drove his civic (don't tell me a funny can be made with re-arranging this sentence) there was this noise coming from the engine bay at lower speeds upto about 22kmph to be precise. So he too is particular an in tune with his car for these sounds. And i know @noopster is pretty particular about rattle sounds to, especially after that scratch up. Hope he got that sorted out.

Coming back to the TFort. Never doubted the ruggedness and reliability of this vehicle. It is a toyota ladder frame after all. And you validate the same.
The service guys when they see either of us must be whispering amongst themselves. Here comes that pesky saar who gets us to unscrew the whole vehicle. Must confirm with our manager. Are we in servicing or manufacturing and assembly? LOL!
Back to base.
Drive safe!
Old 16th April 2011, 20:47   #383
dot
Senior - BHPian

Smelling grandys, yummy tool kits, test rides.. bad boys, deserve spanking on dot dot dot.

Quote:
So he too is particular and in tune with his car for these sounds.
Yeah, I was slightly disappointed when Das from Honda said that it is common. I am hoping that the 40k service will take care of it. Will make sure that AT oil will be changed and Engine oil will be transferred to Synthetic.

Heck I am discussing a Honda in a Toyota thread.

Now I am totally bitten by the preworshipped bug. My next vehicle will be a preworshipped one also. Was lusting at a T. Fort at Inorbit today. Then checked carwale and other sites. Man, these things don't depreciate. No worry, will wait for 2012.

BTW, General you were bang on target on point 4.

Last edited by dot : 16th April 2011 at 20:55.
Old 16th April 2011, 22:57   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Trust me these small sounds really bug me to no end.
So he too is particular an in tune with his car for these sounds.
And i know @noopster is pretty particular about rattle sounds to, especially after that scratch up.

2. Are we in servicing or manufacturing and assembly?
1. Welcome all 3 to the ArA - Anti rattle Anonymous. We meet every Sunday, share experiences and try and cure members dependency on their vehicles to be rattle free. We also take co-members from AA, those who hit the bottle because they couldn't rid their vehicles of rattles.
Our mascot ? What else and what do you think ? A Rattlesnake !!!

2. Har har de har...Good one !

Quote:
1. Heck I am discussing a Honda in a Toyota thread.

2.Now I am totally bitten by the preworshipped bug. My next vehicle will be a preworshipped one also. Was lusting at a T. Fort at Inorbit today. Then checked carwale and other sites. Man, these things don't depreciate. No worry, will wait for 2012.

3. BTW, General you were bang on target on point 4.
1. Who cares - as long as it is love and outpourings for your vehicle/s. So continue sir !

2. So what's going to happen in 2012 ? A new TFort or the mythical AT - TFort coming in ? A lil' birdie told yer ? Errr - what kind if bird ?

3. And even if it weren't - I would have sincerely advised you to make that point your first fave activity of the day anyway !
Old 17th April 2011, 09:46   #385
Senior - BHPian

ARA now that seems like a club. You have quite a wild imagination. Awesome. We should have a mongoose in the logo as well. Since its for the fight against rattles. LOL!

Not sure if the rumour is correct. But would certainly love to own an AT TFort. If priced at 31 OTR it would be overkill. People would have a lot more options in that price range, stretching slightly one could even pick up a fully loaded entry level sedan from the big 3. Or even an x1.
Old 17th April 2011, 10:53   #386
dot
Senior - BHPian

Well by 2012, T. Fort will complete three glorious years on Indian shores. That also means that several battleworthy T. Forts will up for a new ownerships. You know, like Admiral Gorshkov. So folks like me will be looking out. Like the troopship cousin Innova, I feel that battle-hardened T. Forts. will command good prices, unlike the Russian and their antics.

It was hop-ing kind of bird; as you see, it has left the building.
Old 17th April 2011, 13:21   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not sure if the rumour is correct. But would certainly love to own an AT TFort. If priced at 31 OTR it would be overkill. People would have a lot more options in that price range, stretching slightly one could even pick up a fully loaded entry level sedan from the big 3. Or even an x1.
Hi, Did check with the FNSM of Toyota dealer when I was getting the Admiral about the AT version - he swore on his one and only mother that Toyota was not coming out with any more versions of TFort, not even an upgrade of the TFort. But in any case speaking for myself as expressed earlier wouldn't ever pick up an AT 4x4.
And one reason I fell for the TFort was the mechanical dominance over electronic thingamajigs like mechanical level opereated 4x4 transfer case unlike the electronic ones of others.
Not sure about the sedans but did evaluate the X1 when looking at the change of rides in Dec/Jan - was not very impressed overall and in the looks dept too was a little unsure of the X1. Recently when I again saw the X1 - it reminded me of Quasimodo of the Notre Dam fame !

Before I get slaughtered here - let me add - my views and eyes only please.

Quote:
Well by 2012, T. Fort will complete three glorious years on Indian shores. That also means that several battleworthy T. Forts will up for a new ownerships. You know, like Admiral Gorshkov. So folks like me will be looking out. Like the troopship cousin Innova, I feel that battle-hardened T. Forts. will command good prices, unlike the Russian and their antics.
Hmmm...those Russians and their antics - a permanent feature of any defence deal with the Russkies ! The T-90/Su 30 deals also had the same issue of 'aur paisa mangta hai' for deliveries !
And to think that Admiral Togo thrashed the Russian Navy in the Battle of Tshushima Strait !

You are right about the resale value of the T products. And that's because, I guess, the perception of the vehicles quality and like Cleopatra - Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety...so too the Ts age holding power.Though not sure about its infinite variety - Ts are generally boring !

Was talking to my FNCB (Friendly Neighbourhood Car Broker), the guy I sold my Scorp to and a good friend, who mentioned that there is a good demand for T Qualis (!) with 1-1.5 L on odo because it can easily run about 3 L KMs without any major work to be carried out on the engine. Body work is the only thing that needs to be taken care of !

Yup - you'd be good picking up a 3 year old TF with about 60-70K KMs on the odo. Though personally I don't like picking up second handers !

Last edited by Guderian : 17th April 2011 at 13:23.
Old 17th April 2011, 15:19   #388
Senior - BHPian

Yes i too feel that the T-fort like the pajero is more mechanically inclined.
Which is a good thing. And as you mentioned rather than the fiddly air con type switch for the 4X4 nothing like a good ol handle for selecting your 4X4 mode(@mdsaab do you know who's thread this is?)
the thing about AT's is that after driving the civic AT i know its going to be tough for me to go back to a manual tranny. So i prefer if the T-Fort comes in AT. Dont really plan to use it off road. Just need a supremely comfortable highway cruiser in diesel, that can pretty much take you anywhere without breaking a sweat.

And now for the X1. I still like the car. But a few concerns regarding the car are long term reliability and the cost of ownership.

Both of these are ofcourse strong points of the T-Fort. Bullet proof reliability and reasonable to maintain.

Last edited by mdsaab : 17th April 2011 at 15:24.
Old 17th April 2011, 15:50   #389
Senior - BHPian

In terms of cost to maintain T-Fort would be way cheaper than the BMW X1, no second thoughts on that one. Also they are both as different as chalk & cheese any which way you look at it. Just my opinion..

Cheers
Old 17th April 2011, 18:16   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Nothing like a good ol handle for selecting your 4X4 mode(@mdsaab do you know who's thread this is?)

2. But a few concerns regarding the car are long term reliability and the cost of ownership.
Both of these are ofcourse strong points of the T-Fort. Bullet proof reliability and reasonable to maintain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
3.In terms of cost to maintain T-Fort would be way cheaper than the BMW X1, no second thoughts on that one. Also they are both as different as chalk & cheese any which way you look at it. Just my opinion..
Cheers
1. No comments. We don't know whose thread or rope this is - but we all know who is mdsaab is ! Your 4x4 ?!!

2. &3. - Well both of you are stating in unison what I too believe !
Closed Thread