Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 17th April 2011, 20:10   #391
dot
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Yup - you'd be good picking up a 3 year old TF with about 60-70K KMs on the odo.
I have a feeling that odo readings would be lower. Unlike Innova or Qualis, T. Fort, is not a people mover. Or at least it is being perceived that way. I think most folks are purchasing a T. Fort for daily use and recreational purposes. Therefore average mileage maybe around 15000 per year. So in three years finding T. Forts. in Bombay with 35-45k on odo may not be too difficult.

Disclaimer: I am not planning to compete with a certain Daruwala on predictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Yes i too feel that the T-fort like the pajero is more mechanically inclined.
I know Pajero is not being compared with T. Fort. but sensing an opportunity to comment, here goes. The interiors of Pajero are so 1990s. Recently an uncle in the family bought the Outlander. I had gone with him to check out his vehicle in the yard. A Pajero was standing next to his Outlander. Man, the interiors were decades different. Same would be true if you see the Pajero and T. Fort next to each other.

Quote:
Recently when I again saw the X1 - it reminded me of Quasimodo of the Notre Dam fame !
Ha ha, yes, the beans are too overgrown.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:23   #392
Senior - BHPian

I know Pajero is not being compared with T. Fort. but sensing an opportunity to comment, here goes. The interiors of Pajero are so 1990s. Recently an uncle in the family bought the Outlander. I had gone with him to check out his vehicle in the yard. A Pajero was standing next to his Outlander. Man, the interiors were decades different. Same would be true if you see the Pajero and T. Fort next to each other.

You are so right about that - but is that a bad thing ?

The interiors of the T-Fort may be "newer" but not by decades

As for the Outlandish Outlander, other than the fact that it can outrun a Pajero & has the with it interiors, the Pajero will beat it hands down in the departments that matter. Beauty or rather percieved beauty is only skin deep.

Do not wish to sound rude but that is just what I happen to feel. The Grand Vitara in it's new avtaar would keep up with the Outlander in performance on Tarmac & if we talk off-road the topic ends there & then.

Disclaimer : The above points are strictly my perception & members are welcome to differ

Cheers
Old 17th April 2011, 20:32   #393
dot
Senior - BHPian

@Ricky_63, not an iota of doubt on the utility of a Pajero. It has decades of credibility under its wing. The Pajero can take a ton of people and go to places where many city slickers would not dare to tread. Outlander is more uber cool, city type SUV. But lets say if I had about 25L and a choice to buy a Pajero or Outlander or T. Fort.; I would go for the T. Fort.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:47   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@Ricky_63, not an iota of doubt on the utility of a Pajero. It has decades of credibility under its wing. The Pajero can take a ton of people and go to places where many city slickers would not dare to tread. Outlander is more uber cool, city type SUV. But lets say if I had about 25L and a choice to buy a Pajero or Outlander or T. Fort.; I would go for the T. Fort.

I'd say you made a wise choice, but then it depends on what you are looking for in your vehicle. Right ?

Cheers
Old 17th April 2011, 21:13   #395
Senior - BHPian

Sunday Shenanigans !

Admiral Meets Fraulein
or
Loony Lady with a Sunday Shotgun... April 17, 2011

Strange title that last one ! But true. And this time I had a witness too !

Noopster and his Fraulein drove in to meet Admiral. OK and me too, grudgingly though.

And we drove up and into Yeoor hills for a photo shoot. We had a ball shooting the Fraulein and Admiral together.

And let me tell you chaps - that Fraulein is quite an eye candy. And through his silver uniformed bravado - I certainly saw Admiral blushing at times.

Wonderful lady (the car, the car !) you have there Noops - wishing you many, many thousand miles on/in (oops...this is getting little...!) it.

OK now let the snaps do the talking as usual.

Fraulein and the Admiral meet but keep a shy distance !
Name:  DSC07167.JPG
Views: 883
Size:  186.7 KB
Name:  DSC07170.JPG
Views: 824
Size:  212.2 KB
Name:  DSC07172.JPG
Views: 825
Size:  219.1 KB

Too early for a nosey-nosey !
Name:  DSC07175.JPG
Views: 804
Size:  281.6 KB

Admiral makes the first move.
Name:  DSC07176.JPG
Views: 814
Size:  253.0 KB

Now getting ready to rub noses:
Name:  DSC07177.JPG
Views: 846
Size:  258.8 KB
Name:  DSC07178.JPG
Views: 773
Size:  249.7 KB
Name:  DSC07179.JPG
Views: 742
Size:  210.4 KB
Name:  DSC07181.JPG
Views: 746
Size:  222.5 KB

Viewed from a distance or giving them some privacy:
Name:  DSC07182.JPG
Views: 774
Size:  222.0 KB
Name:  DSC07186.JPG
Views: 733
Size:  236.3 KB
Name:  DSC07190.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  224.2 KB

Serious business being discussed or getting ready for a round of head butting !
Name:  DSC07192.JPG
Views: 716
Size:  342.0 KB
Name:  DSC07193.JPG
Views: 799
Size:  263.6 KB
Name:  DSC07194.JPG
Views: 704
Size:  94.3 KB
Name:  DSC07196.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  276.9 KB
Name:  DSC07198.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  233.8 KB

A look around by the Admiral:
Name:  DSC07201.JPG
Views: 707
Size:  288.1 KB

It was just around this time I heard some very loud screaming and loud barks of few blood thirsty dogs. For some reason caught up in the act of photography I just didn't realise as to what was happening. And then Noops whispered that some lady was abusing us from behind some trees. Even then nothing struck me as amiss as I completely missed Noops' warning.

Just then a loud lady's (was she a lady ?) yelling attracted my attention. And there she was behind some trees - waving and then pointing in my direction a...a...shotgun !
"Get out of here, you educated idiots, don't you know a private property when you see one ? You wretched fellows...out now...now...now..."
By now I knew we were looking at a real loony lady. But that shotgun was not loony. It was very sane and would know exactly what it had to do once the trigger was squeezed.
I looked around. By now a Doberman and what looked like a Rottweiler got dangerously close - but they took one look at Admiral and scampered back, barking even louder.

In a weak retort I responded back asking the lady to shoot us and enjoy herself ! I expected some hog slugs to rip into my belly at that. I looked around and found myself alone. Noops was already deep in the arms of his Fraulein. With unsteady steps, trying to keeping calm, I made haste to Admiral. In a jiffy we were out of what seemed like an ambush. You just don't lock horns with a loony or a loony lady or a loony lady with a shotgun. It can't get as specific as that not to lock horns !

You see we, had inadvertently entered the private property of someone who seemed like a lonely lady, living a lonely life on a vast lonely property. There were no signages to warn us at all.

Why do such things happen to me ? Now Noops is also a witness to the such events which happen to me.

Later I remembered that this would be old Mrs Stella, who I recollected from a previous encounter, along with my friends years ago and she was quite known around Yeeor Hills for her shotgun waving antics !

We found another spot - with me keeping a look out for other loony ladies of the hills !

Name:  DSC07203.JPG
Views: 724
Size:  290.1 KB
Name:  DSC07204.JPG
Views: 725
Size:  331.2 KB
Name:  DSC07205.JPG
Views: 695
Size:  282.4 KB
Name:  DSC07206.JPG
Views: 693
Size:  246.1 KB
Name:  DSC07207.JPG
Views: 692
Size:  315.4 KB
Name:  DSC07208.JPG
Views: 695
Size:  266.3 KB
Name:  DSC07209.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  253.1 KB
Name:  DSC07213.JPG
Views: 679
Size:  266.1 KB
Name:  DSC07215.JPG
Views: 669
Size:  372.3 KB

Soon it was time to depart:
Name:  DSC07217.JPG
Views: 694
Size:  317.8 KB
Name:  DSC07218.JPG
Views: 674
Size:  263.7 KB
Name:  DSC07219.JPG
Views: 726
Size:  248.3 KB

And so we did, as Noops had to drive back to Pune.
And I am sure I know what occupied Noops thoughts on the expressway.
The lady and her shotgun. And he would certainly be having nightmares tonight of Mrs Stella waving her shotgun, chasing him all around the forests of Yeoor Hills.

Great to have met up with you Noops. Not sure whether ol' Mrs Stella would have the same feeling !

Not sure whether Noops would be open to another photo shoot anywhere near Thane.

Siiiiiigh - another memorable Sunday comes to an end !

Last edited by Guderian : 17th April 2011 at 21:36.
Old 17th April 2011, 22:24   #396
dot
Senior - BHPian

These pictures were shot in a private property? Near Bombay? Now I am loony.

The two stalwarts looks absolutely cool with each other. We wish we were there too.

P.S.: @Ricky_63, agreed.

Last edited by dot : 17th April 2011 at 22:27.
Old 17th April 2011, 23:30   #397
Senior - BHPian

Those are some awesome snaps there.
You see the Admiral always looks commanding, and that too from any angle.
But i must say, Fraulein really held her own here. She really stands out too.
I must say you both make quite a couple. (the car's silly)
Mrs Stellar with a shotgun is so going to be in both your nightmares tonight.
Please be careful guys, you never know, what if the loony lady actually pulled something(could not resist)
well ofcourse we are now J, so looking forward to meeting up with you soon. But err can we meet up in the city and on some tarmac. Firstly dont want any scary aunties in my nightmares, and secondly drive a civic i doubt its gonna reach such trails.

@dot agree with you, simply no decision to make here. Have 25 big ones. Will buy T-Fort.
Ditto to your observations @Ricky_63.

As i said before this is @guderians thread. Experience the T-fort. Learn. Laugh
Drive safe!

Last edited by mdsaab : 17th April 2011 at 23:32.
Old 18th April 2011, 08:43   #398
Team-BHP Support

@Guderian- awesome meeting up. I liked how we managed the time- military efficiency eh? Chop chop!

Next time we should include more of the Pune-Mumbai crowd and make a day meet of it.

Pics are up on my thread as well. I also have some stunning solo shots of the Admiral which so belong on this thread! Save 'em for later perhaps.

And the loony lady- well, she wasn't scary as much as amusing and a little pathetic. But when she pointed that gun, I admit my heart skipped a beat. Like Joey saving his sandwich in FRIENDS, my first thought was that Admiral was directly in the line of fire (never mind that friend Guderian probably posed a much sweeter spot to aim at!)

Anyway we made haste and found the awesome wooded spot for the remainder of the pics. After the meet the Admiral gallantly dropped Fräulein home (well, at a friend's home anyway) from where she skipped her way across the e-way via Kalwa-Panvel. Sunday evening traffic was light for a change and was able to reach home in 2 and a quarter hours. Speedo touched 160 on a very brief high-visibility stretch. Since I was missing my loyal navigator in the passenger seat, didn't push my luck!
Old 18th April 2011, 10:17   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@Guderian- awesome meeting up. I liked how we managed the time- military efficiency eh? Chop chop!

Next time we should include more of the Pune-Mumbai crowd and make a day meet of it.

Pics are up on my thread as well. I also have some stunning solo shots of the Admiral which so belong on this thread! Save 'em for later perhaps.

And the loony lady- well, she wasn't scary as much as amusing and a little pathetic. But when she pointed that gun, I admit my heart skipped a beat. Like Joey saving his sandwich in FRIENDS, my first thought was that Admiral was directly in the line of fire (never mind that friend Guderian probably posed a much sweeter spot to aim at!)

Anyway we made haste and found the awesome wooded spot for the remainder of the pics.
Hey Noops,
Great meeting that.

And the views from your lens are rather delectable. Sure will put up the snaps of the Admiral from your lens here. That should add great sparkle to this place !

Yeah that Lady did strike an image of a rather lonely figure living all by herself and protecting the last of the memories of a glorious past. And I am sure she would have been more than harassed by the nearby goons and land grabbers.
But then that damn shotgun/double barrel spoke a different language altogether. And I am sure it wasn't loaded either...even if it were the cartridges old and rusty and would have probably misfired. And like the Marx Brothers' flicks we would have emerged with nothing more than blackened faces and frazzled hair.

Not that I was waiting to see whether that would happen.

Later on was feeling rather remorseful for having screwed up her privacy. But kya karega we were also innocent.

Possibly the sight of a TFort would have sent an alarm bell ringing in her mind of mafia/land grabbers/goons/politicos and on top of it we were taking snaps of her property. No wonder the shotgun !

Well all of this goes into making of a memorable escapade.

Next time we should have more folks from both the cities - for a drive-meet either in Pune or Mumbai.
Old 18th April 2011, 10:47   #400
dot
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian and Noopster,

Somehow missed the shotgun part. Was too busy to savor the pictures, I would shamelessly say. Wow, some unexpected adventure. Not something you expect in India very often. As you said the T. Fort might have scared the lady.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:03   #401
Senior - BHPian

That was a nice picture story guys !! The venue seems very nice & picturesque too !! Great going & thanks for sharing the experience !!

Shotgun ?? Are you searious ???

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 18th April 2011 at 11:07.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:16   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Shotgun ?? Are you searious ???
Cheers
Hey Ricky,
We were both at sea when we were staring down the barrel of that rusty piece of armament history.

More like between the Devil and the deep blue sea - on one hand the need to snap and the other the dogs and the corroded flintlock...
...not forgetting the vile abuses !

Now do you see what I mean when I mentioned a few eons ago that I seem to keep running into such situations all my life. And this was a mild distraction going by the other episodes I have been tangled in !

Last edited by Guderian : 18th April 2011 at 11:27.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:24   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ricky,
We were both at sea when we were staring down the barrel of that rusty peace of armament history.

More like between the Devil and the deep blue sea - on one hand the need to snap and the other the dogs and the corroded flintlock...

Now do you see what I mean when I mentioned a few eons ago that I seem to keep running into such situations all my life. And this was a mild distraction going by the other episodes I have been tangled in !
Oh so you are se-rious ?? So that means other than having a great knack of writing you have another knack, that is of getting into tricky situations, and then coming out of them with elan

Another couple of decades down the line you should pen down an autobiography, sure to be a bestseller, then go & sell the film rights to the likes of Aamir Khan or something & there you have a great retirement all planned out !!

Cheers
Old 18th April 2011, 11:29   #404
Team-BHP Support

@Guderian- No wonder you were so sanguine about it. I am a peaceable person by nature and someone, especially of the feminine persuasion, screaming abuse and threatening to blow my block off is rather disconcerting to me. I suppose she was within her rights to tell us off for trespassing but it wasn't a marked off area, was fairly easily approachable from the road and the way she did it certainly doesn't indicate someone of sound mind.

But it was an experience, and something to tell the grandkids!

The Admiral looks imposing in pics but in the flesh is another level of beast altogether! Kudos to you for maintaining him in such fine shape.
Old 18th April 2011, 12:27   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ricky,
We were both at sea when we were staring down the barrel of that rusty piece of armament history.

@Guderian & Noopster - The snaps have really come out well. You sure had one great adventure.

Snap of the loony lady with the shotgun would have added to the excitement. Did you try to convince her that she is on camera and famous?
Closed Thread