Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 20th April 2011, 10:36   #421
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

First of all congratulations on the BIG 5.
Fuel figures are impressive. Any reason why the highway mileage is lesser than the city?
Old 20th April 2011, 12:04   #422
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Guderian!

Sorry I vanished for a few weeks - was like neck deep in work, and then had to travel. Team BHP, the Bison and the jungle trip had to go on the backburner. Couldn't manage to catch up...

I am still stuck at 9K+...need to log some kms asap.

Will give you a call.

Quick question: are you finding the side claddings useful? Are they secure enough i.e. little chance of falling off due to impact or with age?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 20th April 2011 at 12:09.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:47   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

Sorry I vanished for a few weeks - was like neck deep in work, and then had to travel. Team BHP, the Bison and the jungle trip had to go on the backburner. Couldn't manage to catch up...

Will give you a call.

Quick question: are you finding the side claddings useful? Are they secure enough i.e. little chance of falling off due to impact or with age?
My Fortuner has been with me since December 2009 and had the Side Claddings fitted a day before delivery. It is just a wee bit shy of the 30,000 kms mark and there is no issue with the Side Claddings showing any signs of jumping ship yet.

Infact the whole Fortuner feels like i just took delivery last week..bhai jo bhi keh lo.."Tyotta is Tyotta!!"
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 20:13   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
Sand Mafia for sure. I stay at Parsik Nagar, Kalwa. I know the type

Gr8 car in gr8 ( caring) hands, sir.
Hat's off to your passion for your cars.
gr8 write up too.
looking forward to meet you on a sunday morning ( early morning, with GDW)
Hi motionfreak, Thank you indeed for the compliments.
Look forward to meeting you on a Sunday morning ! Serious - let me know when.

And about the sand mafia bit - will meet you when you want to walk on the sands of time to leave your footprints behind...!

And for a moment your net-name had me freaked ! Thought you could have been a Sales Head for Dulcolax or some suppositories - but then I realised this is indeed a auto site which also dealt with motion - albeit of a slightly different kind !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The 5k milestone already achieved ? Quite a bit of driving that is - the best part is cost of upkeep is next to Nil & even better is - no niggles !!
Way to go !!
Cheers
Hi Ricky, Thanks a lot my friend. Yeah a good portion of that 5K came in from that long drive to the south. Wonder as to when I would be able to repeat it again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
First of all congratulations on the BIG 5.
Fuel figures are impressive. Any reason why the highway mileage is lesser than the city?
ndsaab, Thanks.
The highway figure is relatively low because of that mad dash around south India. If you recollect after the break in period (which gave me 13.51 KMPL on the highway) I was driving around with a heavy foot and average speeds of 130-140 KMPH and in momentary lapses of reason at 160 KMPH. And that was the only major H/W run till date.
I intend doing a easy/comfy run sometime soon just to enjoy the drive.
I have a feeling that if I were to maintain a steady speed between 80-100 KMPH, Admiral should return around 14 KMPL.
City run is far more restrained and I really do drive easy and don't rev hard etc, change gears at the right time etc etc - pucca drive by the book...

Quote:

Will give you a call.

Hi Nilanjan, There you are ! Yawning, scratching your scalp and walking out of your cave after a long hibernation !

Thanks for the wishes.

For me the side claddings are heaven sent. Has been on some heavy duty/ies protecting the door edges etc and some. No, its rather firmly fixed like Manuuj mentioned.

Catch up some time !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
My Fortuner has been with me since December 2009 and had the Side Claddings fitted a day before delivery. It is just a wee bit shy of the 30,000 kms mark and there is no issue with the Side Claddings showing any signs of jumping ship yet.

Infact the whole Fortuner feels like i just took delivery last week..bhai jo bhi keh lo.."Tyotta is Tyotta!!"
And Manuuj... 's been a long time !
Yeah couldn't agree with you more on that 'Tyotta' slogan-shogan !
Despite the 5K KMs age - Admiral still retains the new car smell.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 21:15   #425
Senior - BHPian

Thats some serious speed there. Am not comfortable with that much.
But how was the admiral up at that level? Rock solid as always? Sure must have instilled confidence for you to even try it out.
Old 20th April 2011, 22:01   #426
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am still planning to go to the central Indian forests around May 7/8 - subject to no veto from family. A couple of friends from Mumbai will be joining me. Let me know if you can make it.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:24   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats some serious speed there. Am not comfortable with that much.
But how was the admiral up at that level? Rock solid as always? Sure must have instilled confidence for you to even try it out.
Hi mdsaab, I too am extremely uncomfortable at high speeds. Anything beyond 120KMPH kills the pleasure of the drive as per me. Reaction time to respond to road situations is extremely less, tunnel vision at high speeds etc. Ideally would like to cruise at 100 KMPH all day !
So why did I have those momentary lapses of reason ? Primarily to free up the engine, test its potential etc. Of course the attempted F1 runs were done only on straight, long, clear stretches at time when there was high visibility.

And as mentioned earlier Admiral of course was rock solid, even during high speed cornering though I substantially cut speeds then. Took 2/3 corners on the Kolhapur - Satara stretch at 100/120 KMPH, as a test, after checking from a distance the traffic (no vehicles ahead in the same direction and no blocks sighted visibly ahead of the curve and no blind spots; the K- Satara stretch has many of these spots to test your vehicle's cornering capabilities) and it behaved really well. Rest of the corners were at a comfortable 80 KMPH.

As far as I experienced it Admiral was very well planted and steady. No wiggly tail syndrome, no excessive rocking or non linear motion etc.

Quote:
Guys,

I am still planning to go to the central Indian forests around May 7/8 - subject to no veto from family. A couple of friends from Mumbai will be joining me. Let me know if you can make it.
Hi, Nice. From my side will just check the dates and lets tic tac on the weekend.
Manuuj - Possibilities from your side ?
Old 21st April 2011, 14:16   #428
Senior - BHPian

This is very reassuring to read. Am so leaning towards the Admiral....umm sorry T-Fort as our next vehicle. Credit goes to your thread.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:45   #429
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am so leaning towards the Admiral....umm sorry T-Fort as our next vehicle. Credit goes to your thread.
Samething here. But I will probably keep a look out for a pre-worshipped Fort. Long. long, (aka Harrison Ford) long way off, but no harm in planning.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:54   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post

1. Let's plan a meet for a Mumbai drive - 4 spots in Mumbai for a drive by, lunch midtown or South Mumbai...ending with Yeoor hills. Fine ? Start planning your drive Punekars ! Should have to be a Sunday.
Mumbai end - everything will be taken care of.
Anyone from Mumbai wanting to join in ?
Sorry Shotgun Stella not a part of the drive. I have made my peace with her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Sounds delightful. Can you please place this in the Tapri thread. We are having a difficult debate there. I will also try to place a link on that thread to this post.
Apologies for the late response.

So is this meet at Mumbai taking any concrete shape? I am thinking it might be possible for me this Sunday as well. Have a long 4 day off because of Good Friday and Easter (benefits of working for a European customer )

I checked out the update on Tapri thread but i think there is already a conflict happeneing between Kolad, Jadhavgadh and Mulshi. So not sure if many people would be responding to it.

@Guderian - Once again appreciate the detailed log book of yours. Now it is kind of expected from you i think. If it is not detailed then it would be a surprise.
Old 21st April 2011, 23:25   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is very reassuring to read. Am so leaning towards the Admiral....umm sorry T-Fort as our next vehicle. Credit goes to your thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Samething here. But I will probably keep a look out for a pre-worshipped Fort. Long. long, (aka Harrison Ford) long way off, but no harm in planning.
New recruit eh* ? (*Col Hathi in "The Jungle Book" - The Movie !)

And here to both of you - New recruits eh ? Shall keenly await the day when the two of you zoom into the TFort club. Well you are almost there !

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Apologies for the late response.

1. So is this meet at Mumbai taking any concrete shape? I am thinking it might be possible for me this Sunday as well. Have a long 4 day off because of Good Friday and Easter (benefits of working for a European customer )

I checked out the update on Tapri thread but i think there is already a conflict happeneing between Kolad, Jadhavgadh and Mulshi. So not sure if many people would be responding to it.

2. @Guderian - Once again appreciate the detailed log book of yours. Now it is kind of expected from you i think. If it is not detailed then it would be a surprise.
2. Thanks Amit.

1. This Sunday is a little too close for me to change a committed event. So it'll have to be some other Sunday. Say how about Sunday the 15th of May to kick off a date ? And if you can announce on the Tapri thread and see how many are coming in - would be nice. Just announce it, whether there is Mulsi drive or jo bhi - this could be an independent event !

Last edited by Guderian : 21st April 2011 at 23:32.
Old 21st April 2011, 23:58   #432
BHPian

I am calling this the TOGO channel. It is something I have to check into every couple of days and its not the Fortuner pulling me but the way you portray it that does. Keep it rolling.
Old 22nd April 2011, 06:53   #433
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: From the Ship's Log Book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Extracts from Ship's Log Book:

Date: April, 19, 2011.
Time: Precisely - 1905 Hrs/ 7.05 PM.
Location: Eastern Express Highway, post point Vikhroli - approaching point Kanjur Marg.
Event: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro recorded 5000KMs/2699.784 Nautical Miles on its odometer.

Days to 5K Clicks: 52 : Date of Delivery - Feb 27, 2011.

Total Fuel Consumed: City Runs: 267.77 Lts. (Rs. 8611.01) H/W: 223.66 Lts.(Rs.9554.70)
FE: City ave - 11.41 KMPL: Best - 12.15 KMPL.
H/W ave - 10.60 KMPL. Best - 13.51 KMPL.
No of Services/Inspections : 2.
Maintenance Expenses: Nil.
Consumables purchased: 1 Coolant Bottle + 4 Bolt Screws - Rs. 298.00.
Niggles: Nil.

End of Extract.
An error was pointed out after the Defence AG (Sub - Committee: Admiral Togo) went into the details of the log book and working of the ship and ship's accounts.
The query raised was from the extract above, sub extract :
"Total Fuel Consumed: City Runs: 267.77 Lts. (Rs. 8611.01) H/W: 223.66 Lts.(Rs.9554.70)"

Query raised - If the higway run of the admiral consumed 223.66 Lts and costed the Admirality Rs 9554.70 how is it possible that for the city run/s the ship which supposedly consumed 267.77 Lts costed the Admirality only Rs 8611.01 ?

Observations: 1. It is that either the amount of fuel recorded is wrong or the amount of budgetary allocation expended is wrong. Eitherways the Capt of the Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro to be placed under close monitoring till investigations are complete.

2. That it is a matter of concern that no person of the public reading these proceedings could point the same out.

After due investigations it was reported that the error was a simple recording error where the first ever filling/bunkering amount of the Fleet Admiral was not entered in the logs. The amount of fuel bunkered was noted but not the amount of money spent. So the log entry as 'corrected' for monetary amount spent shall read as:

"Total Fuel Consumed: City Runs: 267.77 Lts. (Rs. 11803.28) H/W: 223.66 Lts.(Rs.9554.70)"

Executive Actions:

1. Capt of the ship (Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro) let off with a mild reprimand.

2. Public involved in the proceedings to receive a severe admonishment -
admonish(Warn), verb address a warning to, administer a rebuke,advise against,caution, censure, commonere, counsel against, dehort, deprecate, exhort, forebode, forewarn, give warning, monere, objurgate, premonish, prewarn, rebuke, remonstrate, reprehend, reprove, warn against - for dereliction of duty while reading the proceedings here and general lack of attention. You are hereby administered a severe admonishment (which includes all the words above !) and adviced to be more attentive and not sleep/ sleepwalk on this thread.

Proceedings Closed. No appeals to be entertained.

Last edited by Guderian : 22nd April 2011 at 07:10.
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:33   #434
dot
Senior - BHPian

It had appeared that Admiral was calculating diesel prices in city after tax savings due to fuel allowances (see the difference of "error" was ~30%).

Admiral needs an audit-pal for future disclosures.
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:50   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
I am calling this the TOGO channel. It is something I have to check into every couple of days and its not the Fortuner pulling me but the way you portray it that does. Keep it rolling.
Thank you Rohan ! That sure sounds amusing - Togo channel, hahaha...and I am sure some day the TFort too will bring you under its spell !
Closed Thread