Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:13   #511
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
All these bunkering discussion brought back a very old memory. That too, it occurred when I was taking a siesta today. During childhood days we used refer a petrol pump as "petrol bunk". I knew lots of folks in Cal who used to say this. Never understood why. With the course of time the word went out of usage and out of memory. Feeling good to recover a lost bit. Thanks H.G.
Hi dot, True that than word 'bunk' would have come from the word bunkering - because bunkering was originally used when ships took on coal as fuel to fire the furnaces/boilers and it continued when coal changed to oil to fire the furnaces/boilers.
Of course in my school days all I could think was of 'bunking' which had a far more adventurous feel to it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
As a long standing habit I usually top up around the half tank mark. Vapourizing never came to my mind, but my reason is that running to a near empty tank will also damage the fuel pump as it would take in muck from the bottom of the tank. Not that it has ever happened to me, but I know of instances in people's cars where the fuel line was chocked on old-ish cars.
Cheers
Hi Ricky, In the earlier days the half tank filling practise used to serve another useful purpose - as told to me by old army hands. It used to prevent rusting of the upper half of the metal/steel fuel tanks if perpetually filled. Because air/vapours could accumulate in the upper half leading to rust flakes being formed and dropping into the fuel.

Resulting in of course, if the dregs of fuel of a near empty tank were sucked in by the pump, choking of the fuel lines . if you remember the earlier vehicles - Ambys, Jeeps etc used to after ceratin point in their life have constant issue of fuel line chokes. So much so that fauji vehicles always used to have neatly stencilled on their fuel tanks date of last tank cleaning, due date of next cleaning etc ! They had to infact get the insides painted/ corrosion proofed through a method.
However with the advent of use of heavy duty plastic in most of the mordern day vehicles - the issue of rusting of fuel tanks may have been sorted out, but in India the issue of sediments in the fuel still remains. This was mentioned by you. Basically muck which comes in through fuel, dirty fuel bunk nozzles and stuff. That still could choke the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
@ Guderian
Aha so good to hear the word bunkering, since my dad and I are sailors, that's the only word we use. Really good tips on the refueling front, we follow the same practice, except that we end up refueling late at night, instead of early morning. Very true about tanking up when the needle is at the halfway mark, had noticed that due to self observation a few years ago only to realize it was a known fact among enthusiasts.
Aha there Rohan ! I thought that should evoke a response from you and it did.
Trust the foot's mending well and the Scorpio is all set to roll.
Guderian is offline  
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:34   #512
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Hi Folks,
The 3 part post/s on the Sunday capers (May 1, 2011) including the vintage car rally/ meet (HVOCT - Thane) has been moved to the Vintage section for the benefit of members interested only in Vintage cars

Here is the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2335430

Have responded to some of your posts there.
Have fun !
Guderian is offline  
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:12   #513
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

@Guderian
just read about the T-Fort boot camp.
Its suppose to come to mumbai around now.
Any news on that? Or an invite from toyota?
mdsaab is offline  
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:59   #514
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
@Guderian
just read about the T-Fort boot camp.
Its suppose to come to mumbai around now.
Any news on that? Or an invite from toyota?
Hi mdsaab, I read from Nilanjan's thread that the Bangalore boot camp was done and over with a few days ago.
What I also recollect is that Mumbai boot camp was organised some months ago.
So as of now all is quiet on the western front ! No invites or anything as of now.
Guderian is offline  
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:29   #515
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,847
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

@Guderian

Thanks for acknowledging my "knowledge" I am honoured to say the least !! I think not all vehicles YET come with plastic tanks, so the problems persist. Though I do not have statistics or data to support my statement....BUT I have this feeling nonetheless !! Correct me if I am wrong !


Cheerio
Ricky_63 is offline  
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:38   #516
BHPian
 
Off Roadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 280
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

@ Guderian
The foot is in a decent state now, infact will go on my first drive to the Port of Pipava, beyond Bhavnagar in Gujarat this Thursday and the Hawk should cross 5000 kms by the time she returns. If time permits will also be able to take pics this weekend and start off with my ownership report.
Will be attaching a support to my left foot to unload the ankle and it brings back memories of the movie, 'How to Train your Dragon'.

Edit
Really nice pics of the classic cars

Last edited by Off Roadie : 2nd May 2011 at 22:02.
Off Roadie is offline  
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:17   #517
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,826
Thanked: 2,386 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Delhi/NCR is next. They will probably hold the camp over a couple of weekends, given the proliferation of SUVs there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi mdsaab, I read from Nilanjan's thread that the Bangalore boot camp was done and over with a few days ago.
What I also recollect is that Mumbai boot camp was organised some months ago.
So as of now all is quiet on the western front ! No invites or anything as of now.
nilanjanray is offline  
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:33   #518
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@Guderian

Thanks for acknowledging my "knowledge" I am honoured to say the least !! I think not all vehicles YET come with plastic tanks, so the problems persist. Though I do not have statistics or data to support my statement....BUT I have this feeling nonetheless !! Correct me if I am wrong !


Cheerio
Hi Ricky, Yes some of the tanks are still steel ones. Like my Scorp (CRDe-2005) had a steel tank. I think the current day Scorps also have steel tanks. About the rest ? No idea but more and more of them are moving towards plastic cans !
But then even with plastic cans there is an issue of sedimentation - thanks to muck of various origins getting in !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
@ Guderian
The foot is in a decent state now, infact will go on my first drive to the Port of Pipava, beyond Bhavnagar in Gujarat this Thursday and the Hawk should cross 5000 kms by the time she returns. If time permits will also be able to take pics this weekend and start off with my ownership report.
Will be attaching a support to my left foot to unload the ankle and it brings back memories of the movie, 'How to Train your Dragon'.

Edit
Really nice pics of the classic cars
Thanks Rohan. Good to hear about the leg and the drive. Looking forward to that thread.
Good luck and have fun on the drive !
Guderian is offline  
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:55   #519
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,197 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

"Petrol bunk" is common usage in Bangalore. I use to snigger at the local populace for their "obviously" wrong usage- am duly chastened now. Possibly the cantonment town effect.
noopster is offline  
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:07   #520
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,847
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Ricky, Yes some of the tanks are still steel ones. Like my Scorp (CRDe-2005) had a steel tank. I think the current day Scorps also have steel tanks. About the rest ? No idea but more and more of them are moving towards plastic cans !
But then even with plastic cans there is an issue of sedimentation - thanks to muck of various origins getting in !

Could not agree with you more ! There are cars with metal tanks and they are going to rust & they are going to take their toll.

Yes we should move to plastic tanks, BUT the fuel quality being what it is - the sediments are going to happen whether we like it or not !!



Cheers

Footnote : are the fuel companies not increasing fuel costs every other day ? Yes they are.....then why not ensure better fuel, why just higher prices ??

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th May 2011 at 13:51. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Ricky_63 is offline  
Old 4th May 2011, 02:31   #521
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

@Guderian I read in this month's Autocar India that the Bangalore event was to take place last week of April, followed by one to be held in Mumbai, but the dates were not mentioned hence asked if you had any info.

Back to topic ~ Hmm slight OT but can you really go OT on this wonderful and accommodating thread, I think NOT!

Today was crossed by a Black cat while driving, but hey no worries this is one cat you definately want to be crossed by(stop mind drifting) I am speaking of a Jaguar XF, i don't really like black cars but this time i made an exception, absolute drool maal. So why is this posted on @Guderian's thread?
Well when the Jag passed i noticed it was driven by a chauffeur, and that he was wearing gloves.

So we all know very well how @Guderian maintains the Admiral. I feel the Admiral is now even more Spic and Span then the day he was driven home from the showroom.

So i was just thinking does @Guderian have a pair of gloves stashed in the glovebox which he slips on before driving off? i thought for a good few minutes, but then thought NO. I don't think so. How can you be in sync with your vehicle with those big gloves on, you need to feel the steering to feel that bond between you and her/him.

Thinking further ~
If @Guderian does ever hire a driver, for whatever reason. You will surely find him wearing not only gloves but a whole lot of protective gear. No not for the driver, but to protect the Admiral.

I know i would.

Protect your loved ones, Drive Safe!
mdsaab is offline  
Old 4th May 2011, 06:55   #522
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,197 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
So i was just thinking does @Guderian have a pair of gloves stashed in the glovebox which he slips on before driving off? i thought for a good few minutes, but then thought NO. I don't think so. How can you be in sync with your vehicle with those big gloves on, you need to feel the steering to feel that bond between you and her/him.

Actually, he told me when we met up that he never leaves home without his gloves . Uses them for his DIY tinkering around the engine and underchassis which can get quite dusty/greasy. Doesn't use 'em while driving though.
noopster is offline  
Old 4th May 2011, 12:10   #523
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Actually, he told me when we met up that he never leaves home without his gloves . Uses them for his DIY tinkering around the engine and underchassis which can get quite dusty/greasy. Doesn't use 'em while driving though.
You don't say. I too had a pair of gloves for when i was tinkering around the engine and underbody. Those were the good ol' Matiz days. But driving with them gloves on. NO WAY!
mdsaab is offline  
Old 4th May 2011, 15:55   #524
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
If @Guderian does ever hire a driver, for whatever reason.
Hire a driver ? Over my dead body...
And if at all I do, those gloves would be to slip on and choke the fellow when he shows signs of poor driving - which I am sure he will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Actually, he told me when we met up that he never leaves home without his gloves . Uses them for his DIY tinkering around the engine and underchassis which can get quite dusty/greasy. Doesn't use 'em while driving though.
Haha...stiff, starched gloves eh ?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
You don't say. I too had a pair of gloves for when i was tinkering around the engine and underbody. Those were the good ol' Matiz days. But driving with them gloves on. NO WAY!
Oh - you should try driving in a pair of white, starched gloves and keep your nose in the air and look at the other denizens of the road not by craning or twisting your neck but just by rolling your eyes or from the corner of your eyes, eye lids in a half closed mode, mandatory that the right side of your upper lip should be curled upwards - it will give you a totally different feel and mental complex. Even though you may be driving a Civic and physically feeling as though your bottom is scraping all the dung heaps, mentally you'll feel as though you are viewing low life sitting in a Viceroy's coach.

Ahhh...the power of white gloves !

Koi hai ?

Last edited by Guderian : 4th May 2011 at 15:58.
Guderian is offline  
Old 5th May 2011, 19:36   #525
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,826
Thanked: 2,386 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Guderian,

My trip dates are now June 4 - 12, in case you are interested in joining.
nilanjanray is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family MAS SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 121 24th November 2017 20:26
Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner dkaile SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 45 12th August 2011 22:20
Rear Admiral killed in 'accidental fire' sandeepmdas Shifting gears 13 9th July 2010 16:34
VW Touareg North Sails Design K-S-A The International Automotive Scene 6 23rd July 2008 23:29
Modified Corsa Sails dadudeonfire Modifications & Accessories 12 19th July 2005 01:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:49.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks