Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 10:54   #676
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
1. the Admiral gets to his appointment at the @Guderian Spa.
2. These LED torches you carry do they have a tripod like stand?
3. How much did it cost for the bottle of leather cleaner, a very handy bottle to have in your lineup indeed.
4. The Admiral looks impeccable and like i said before newer than new.
Hi mdsaab,

1. You bet !

2. No, these are the standard, simple, handheld, domestic torches. Am looking for something that is more for automobiles. Or can be a heavy work torch which can be hooked on to the 12V outlet. Something like that one on the thread on torches.

3. That leather cleaner bottle had a marked price of Rs. 250/- but I badgered the FNAM and got that and the door strips (with a marked price of Rs 100/-) totally for Rs. 300/-. So I guess you can get it for about Rs. 225/- or so. It is indeed very useful and has a shelf life of 2 years - which is good for me, as I got a Jan 2011 bottle. So check the date of manufacture when you pick it up. I guess it should last for about 12-18 months. I use it to only removes spots from the the leather seats.

4. Gracias !
Guderian is offline  
Old 30th May 2011, 13:23   #677
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 79
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

A bit off topic but also kind of an interesting read since its kinda related so thought I'd post it here
T
puneet_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 13:58   #678
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet_b View Post
A bit off topic but also kind of an interesting read since its kinda related so thought I'd post it here
T
Hi Puneet, Thanks for coming around these parts.
This is the very same link that has been posted on the first page of this thread, in the second paragraph, I think - thanks nonetheless !

Last edited by Guderian : 30th May 2011 at 14:08.
Guderian is offline  
Old 30th May 2011, 17:00   #679
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 79
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Puneet, Thanks for coming around these parts.
This is the very same link that has been posted on the first page of this thread, in the second paragraph, I think - thanks nonetheless !
Ooops...
How silly of me : ")
Cheers !
puneet_b is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 09:18   #680
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Start Up & Shut Down - Idle Run

A quick question for other TForts owners on the forum...

Do you folks follow the procedure of 30 Secs of idle run when you first start the engine for the first time in the day before moving on and before shutting down the engine for the last time in the day/night ?

This was a standard procedure on the Scorpio CRDe to keep the turbo in fine fettle (oil circulation for the bearings to be precise) as adviced in the owner's manual.
What about the T Fort ? I don't see that mentioned anywhere in the manual.

As a force of habit, I have been religiously following the same though.

Last edited by Guderian : 31st May 2011 at 09:28.
Guderian is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 10:01   #681
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,826
Thanked: 2,386 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

The manual says don't warm up by idling - and that during usual city runs no idle time is required.

I do try to follow the 20-30 sec idling 'rule', but sometimes it is not possible e.g. having to move the vehicle in the morning for some reason, or going to the ATM.

I am facing delayed response from the temperature sensor - have you faced it? E.g. it takes a few minutes (say 10 min) to show the realistic outside temperature - faced this in Ooty when it was showing 31, while I knew the outside temp was 18-19.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 31st May 2011 at 10:13.
nilanjanray is online now  
Old 31st May 2011, 10:42   #682
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default

Admiral,
This procedure is applicable for all turbocharged cars. For the last 300 meters, before I reach home,I keep the revs low so that the turbo doesn't kick in. This takes care of the turbo oiling etc. I do the same at the start of the day, keep the revs low.

Last edited by F150 : 31st May 2011 at 10:51.
F150 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 11:28   #683
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

regarding outside temperature reading.
Even in the Honda Civic it is no instantaneous. It takes a couple of minutes and then changes. actually it's very erratic. sometimes you could see it dropping degree by degree and sometimes it just pops from 31 to 29. Not very accurate but useful none the less
mdsaab is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 12:31   #684
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
1.The manual says don't warm up by idling - and that during usual city runs no idle time is required.

I do try to follow the 20-30 sec idling 'rule', but sometimes it is not possible e.g. having to move the vehicle in the morning for some reason, or going to the ATM.

2. I am facing delayed response from the temperature sensor - have you faced it? E.g. it takes a few minutes (say 10 min) to show the realistic outside temperature - faced this in Ooty when it was showing 31, while I knew the outside temp was 18-19.
Hi Nils,
Thanks for the information.
1. I guess if one starts and moves in low RPMs that should help. Ideal of course if one could have a 20-30 Sec idle run on start and last shut down. Wouldn't this also depend on the type of turbo ? Hard turbo or soft turbo ? Hard turbos I guess kick in at a particular RPM of the engine - in the Scorp CRDe it was 1700/1800.

2. Haven't seriously observed the temp on the MID and so not sure about that on starting. May be it takes a few minutes to get going !

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Admiral,
This procedure is applicable for all turbocharged cars. For the last 300 meters, before I reach home,I keep the revs low so that the turbo doesn't kick in. This takes care of the turbo oiling etc. I do the same at the start of the day, keep the revs low.
Thanks F150.
Absolutely - the text book approach. What kind of a turbo does your vehicle have ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
regarding outside temperature reading.
Even in the Honda Civic it is no instantaneous. It takes a couple of minutes and then changes. actually it's very erratic. sometimes you could see it dropping degree by degree and sometimes it just pops from 31 to 29. Not very accurate but useful none the less
Hi mdsaab, So what you are saying is that the temperature sensor takes some time to...errr...warm up eh ?!!

And...
1. Incidentally on the T-Fort while the specs mention that it has a variable geometry turbo (VGT) - does anyone have more details of the same ?

2. Does anyone have the TFort's workshop manual ? Any idea how to get that ? Have been looking at some of the download sites - no avail. Every other vehicle's manuals are available except the T Forts. Clues please !
Guderian is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 12:39   #685
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian
Wouldn't this also depend on the type of turbo ? Hard turbo or soft turbo ? Hard turbos I guess kick in at a particular RPM of the engine - in the Scorp CRDe it was 1700/1800.

Thanks F150.
Absolutely - the text book approach. What kind of a turbo does your vehicle have ?
Admiral,
My swift has a FGT. I am not aware of the hard turbo and soft turbo. What is this concept ?

Last edited by F150 : 31st May 2011 at 12:40.
F150 is online now  
Old 31st May 2011, 12:41   #686
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post

regarding outside temperature reading.

It takes a couple of minutes and then changes. actually it's very erratic. sometimes you could see it dropping degree by degree and sometimes it just pops from 31 to 29. Not very accurate but useful none the less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Haven't seriously observed the temp on the MID and so not sure about that on starting. May be it takes a few minutes to get going !

So what you are saying is that the temperature sensor takes some time to...errr...warm up eh ?!!
Yes, the temperature sensor takes a lot of time to give a reading. It continues to show 27C on a warm day for a long time. Then you need to re-adjust the CC to a lower setting otherwise AC throws out warm air.

Recently when we were driving back from Goa, faced rain in Kohlapur. The temp read out fell like a rock from 30 to 19. Had to continuously adjust the CC till it could go no further down. After that we were freezing in the car.
dot is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 13:02   #687
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Admiral,
My swift has a FGT. I am not aware of the hard turbo and soft turbo. What is this concept ?
Hi FEkSoPachas,
I think this should help - HowStuffWorks "How Turbochargers Work"

Generally defined the hard Ts require a minimum RPM for it to kick in meaning therefore more pressure on the blades to spin and the STs are up and running even at low RPMs and possibly as soon as you start the engine.
I presume all modern vehicles have smaller Ts which are STs. The TFort seems to have a VGT which appears to be half the size of the T on my old Scorp CRDe. Heck ! I got less, though I paid more !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Yes, the temperature sensor takes a lot of time to give a reading. It continues to show 27C on a warm day for a long time. Then you need to re-adjust the CC to a lower setting otherwise AC throws out warm air.

Recently when we were driving back from Goa, faced rain in Kohlapur. The temp read out fell like a rock from 30 to 19. Had to continuously adjust the CC till it could go no further down. After that we were freezing in the car.
Ahhh there you are dot - getting errr...warmed up to the subect of temperatures I notice !
I guess the temperature reading that you are referring to is the one of the climate control - the one that Nils was ref to was the one on the MID.
Do the two work in unision ? Meaning is the CC running somehow controlled by the MID temp sensor ? Or do they have a common sensor ?

Last edited by Guderian : 31st May 2011 at 13:05.
Guderian is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 13:38   #688
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Admiral,
My swift has a FGT. I am not aware of the hard turbo and soft turbo. What is this concept ?
Hi FEkSoPachas,
I think this should help - HowStuffWorks "How Turbochargers Work"
Edit (Sorry, missed putting this before the edit time of the original post ran out !):
Generally defined the hard Ts require a minimum RPM for it to kick in meaning therefore more pressure on the blades to spin - actually they are called High Pressure Turbos (HPTs) and the STs are up and running even at low RPMs and possibly as soon as you start the engine - actually called Low Pressure Turbos (LPTs). In Indian ASCs you'll hear them being called hard and soft turbos.
I presume all modern vehicles have smaller Ts which are STs/LPTs. The TFort seems to have a VGT which appears to be half the size of the T on my old Scorp CRDe. Heck ! I got less, though I paid more !!!

Last edited by Guderian : 31st May 2011 at 13:40.
Guderian is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 14:00   #689
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian
the STs are up and running even at low RPMs and possibly as soon as you start the engine.
I presume all modern vehicles have smaller Ts which are STs. The TFort seems to have a VGT which appears to be half the size of the T on my old Scorp CRDe. Heck ! I got less, though I paid more !!!
Admiral,
The turbos in modern cars kick in after a certain RPM.For the swift it kicks in some where in the 1800-2000RPM range. For the fiesta it kicks from as low as 1500RPM. So smaller the turbo, lesser is the pressure required to rotate. Which car has the turbo running from the start? If the turbo is running from the start, there shouldn't be any turbo lag.Any idea ? Let me read more on google about turbochargers.

Last edited by F150 : 31st May 2011 at 14:07.
F150 is online now  
Old 31st May 2011, 14:26   #690
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Admiral,
The turbos in modern cars kick in after a certain RPM.For the swift it kicks in some where in the 1800-2000RPM range. For the fiesta it kicks from as low as 1500RPM. So smaller the turbo, lesser is the pressure required to rotate. Which car has the turbo running from the start? If the turbo is running from the start, there shouldn't be any turbo lag.Any idea ? Let me read more on google about turbochargers.
Hi F150 (that Ekso...is too long I realised !),
I think the LPTs or softies could start right from the word go or at very low RPMs...
Guderian is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family MAS SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 121 24th November 2017 20:26
Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner dkaile SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 45 12th August 2011 22:20
Rear Admiral killed in 'accidental fire' sandeepmdas Shifting gears 13 9th July 2010 16:34
VW Touareg North Sails Design K-S-A The International Automotive Scene 6 23rd July 2008 23:29
Modified Corsa Sails dadudeonfire Modifications & Accessories 12 19th July 2005 01:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:34.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks