Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 28th June 2011, 23:06   #901
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Hi dkaile,
Nice write up, but for Toyota owners - boring, I guess, like the vehicle. They knew what to expect - like in the T vehicles. Reliability, everything just works. And life goes on.
That point of what the majority wants from a vehicle, sans excitement, is well captured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
1. BTW Flying Spirit deserves her own ownershi thread, as much as I love seeing it share column cms with the Admiral

2. Harry- "never fails to disappoint"- I remember chuckling gently to myself when someone else made that same faux pas a few pages up. Let me just dust off what's left of my dignity and pretend it was a Freudian slip OK?
Hey noops,
1. It's Free Spirit not Flying Spirit ! I know ultimately spirits can fly or spirits can take you 'high'. Please stand corrected.
OT
As of now, please be informed that I have appointed myself as the Brand Manager of Free Spirit. And this Spirit doesn't come free however kindered it is.
We'll be soon having Free Spirit guided tours, Free Spirit 'Watch it being driven' shows, Free Spirit autographed photographs (with tyre marks of course), Free Spirit souvenirs (like a small bottle of old FS engine/clutch/ diff oil/old brake pads etc) free Spirit memorablia (copies of RC book, insurance papers etc - autographed with FS grease), Clean the FS contests (winners win a chance to clean the engine bay or get to pay for the next servicing/accessory etc), FS essay contests for children of TBHP members, Free Spirit-Marvel comics, FS soft toys/key chains/men's premium perfumes etc.
Added surprises are Admiral's keepsakes.
All trade and franchise enquires may be addressed to me at -opportunistspirit@cashtobemade.com

And FS does have its own thread in the 4X4 section.
And this channel is like 'Swami and Friends' - all of Admirals friends are welcome here and they can spend all their living and sleeping time round these parts and stay as long as they want.

2. Freudian slip ?!! Ahhh... there you go gently slipping the blade in, with the victim still smiling and trusting you.

Last edited by Guderian : 28th June 2011 at 23:13.
Old 28th June 2011, 23:27   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster

You're quite welcome, Rahul. Did you get the LC painted yourself? Nissan micra orange- of course that's why it looked so strangely familiar!

BTW Flying Spirit deserves her own ownershi thread, as much as I love seeing it share column cms with the Admiral

Harry- "never fails to disappoint"- I remember chuckling gently to myself when someone else made that same faux pas a few pages up. Let me just dust off what's left of my dignity and pretend it was a Freudian slip OK?
Yes it was painted in a local garage under a shed not in a paint booth. We got the good finish because we used all Dupont original products right from the car patch, putty, thinner and paint.

I have a thread my new baby land cruiser lj78 . You will find more information about the car.

Chow .
rahultomahawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 23:37   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian
Hi dkaile,
Nice write up, but for Toyota owners - boring, I guess, like the vehicle. They knew what to expect - like in the T vehicles. Reliability, everything just works. And life goes on.
That point of what the majority wants from a vehicle, sans excitement, is well captured.

Hey noops,
1. It's Free Spirit not Flying Spirit ! I know ultimately spirits can fly or spirits can take you 'high'. Please stand corrected.
OT
As of now, please be informed that I have appointed myself as the Brand Manager of Free Spirit. And this Spirit doesn't come free however kindered it is.
We'll be soon having Free Spirit guided tours, Free Spirit 'Watch it being driven' shows, Free Spirit autographed photographs (with tyre marks of course), Free Spirit souvenirs (like a small bottle of old FS engine/clutch/ diff oil/old brake pads etc) free Spirit memorablia (copies of RC book, insurance papers etc - autographed with FS grease), Clean the FS contests (winners win a chance to clean the engine bay or get to pay for the next servicing/accessory etc), FS essay contests for children of TBHP members, Free Spirit-Marvel comics, FS soft toys/key chains/men's premium perfumes etc.
Added surprises are Admiral's keepsakes.
All trade and franchise enquires may be addressed to me at -opportunistspirit@cashtobemade.com

And FS does have its own thread in the 4X4 section.
And this channel is like 'Swami and Friends' - all of Admirals friends are welcome here and they can spend all their living and sleeping time round these parts and stay as long as they want.

2. Freudian slip ?!! Ahhh... there you go gently slipping the blade in, with the victim still smiling and trusting you.
Harish,
Please don't embrass me , there are many cars in team bhp which are done up better than Free Spirt by their owners. But I liked your idea if we raise enough money we can do more jungle trails free.lol.

A request to moderators can a section dedicated on expeditions and expedition vehicles and trailers be started on Team bhp. It would help fellow members to share ideas and views on how to build their own expedition vehicles.
Old 29th June 2011, 07:09   #904
Senior - BHPian

@General - A very late response thanks to the issues with my laptop.

You guys sure had a nice and short offroading trip. Enjoyed the snaps. For once on TOGO channel i was admiring some vehicle other than Admiral

And i am kicking myself for not being able to make it. LOH was calling the shots. Don't forget the invite next time around as well. Thanks.

@Rahul - Any other threads present in T-BHP of your off road exploits?
Old 29th June 2011, 07:29   #905
Senior - BHPian

I guess having a full time 4WD does help.

That's a fantastic OT idea there Guderian.
You shall definately see a mail from my organization e-mail is folkspendthedough@igetrich.com hopefully we can do some great business soon.

How about you Rahul, what 4X4 mode were you driving on?
and yes the paint looks fantastic. And it's amazing to hear to that it was done outside and not in a paint booth.
Thanks for the tip on using dupont products grounds up. Will definately remember that valuable piece if advice / information.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:33   #906
dot
Senior - BHPian

rahutomakawk, General, do you know how many such older gen LCs are there in the country? Seems like a silly question, but I have a feeling that you wont find too many examples on our roads. There maybe more LRs than LCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
I have appointed myself as the Brand Manager of Free Spirit.
Can I get some free samples of this Free Spirit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
You shall definately see a mail from my organization e-mail is folkspendthedough@igetrich.com hopefully we can do some great business soon.

From the time of the post, I can see mdsaab is being extra productive today. In this so called organisation of yours, is there a position for some dumb noob like me?
Old 29th June 2011, 09:54   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
Harish,
Please don't embrass me , there are many cars in team bhp which are done up better than Free Spirt by their owners. But I liked your idea if we raise enough money we can do more jungle trails free.lol.
Hi Rahul, I don't know about other vehicles. I can only react to what I have experienced !
And to me FS and Admiral represent a great sense of adventure. As a kid most of my fascinating reads were all about early day adventurers/explorers - Shackleton, Livingstone, Amundsen, Balboa, Mallory, Hiram Bingham (liked the name !), Byrd,Christian, Cook, Cortes, Drake...to name a few. And somehow FS and Admiral suddenly seem to represent those souls. So now you know where I am coming from...
And that matter of raising money - even that is taken from the approach adopted by early expolrers to fund their trips !

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@General - A very late response thanks to the issues with my laptop.

You guys sure had a nice and short offroading trip. Enjoyed the snaps. For once on TOGO channel i was admiring some vehicle other than Admiral

And i am kicking myself for not being able to make it. LOH was calling the shots. Don't forget the invite next time around as well. Thanks.

@Rahul - Any other threads present in T-BHP of your off road exploits?
Hi Amit, Pity that really. Well, there is always a next time.

Quote:
I guess having a full time 4WD does help.

Hi mdsaab, Trust you would have got the drift from the clarification above. The reason to generate money is rather altruistic. To fund expeditions and to go where vehicles have not gone before. Any endeavour to that end shall be encouraged.
Aloha.

And here are some more snaps from that rain soaked, Free Spirit filled morning.

Enjoy ! No descriptions, just a melange.

Name:  DSC08004.JPG
Views: 710
Size:  173.9 KB

Name:  DSC08005.JPG
Views: 709
Size:  253.3 KB

Name:  DSC08007.JPG
Views: 725
Size:  163.6 KB

Name:  DSC08010.JPG
Views: 688
Size:  161.2 KB

Name:  DSC08013.JPG
Views: 689
Size:  258.1 KB

Name:  DSC08016.JPG
Views: 686
Size:  243.9 KB

Name:  DSC08022.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  212.2 KB

Name:  DSC08034.JPG
Views: 614
Size:  127.9 KB

Name:  DSC08037.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  284.4 KB

Name:  DSC08038.JPG
Views: 640
Size:  129.0 KB

Name:  DSC08039.JPG
Views: 694
Size:  195.9 KB

Name:  DSC08041.JPG
Views: 604
Size:  281.7 KB

Name:  DSC08058.JPG
Views: 627
Size:  247.5 KB

Name:  DSC08063.JPG
Views: 612
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  DSC08065.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  202.3 KB

Name:  DSC08076.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  256.1 KB
Old 29th June 2011, 10:59   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
From the time of the post, I can see mdsaab is being extra productive today. In this so called organisation of yours, is there a position for some dumb noob like me?
Aha you got me! early to rise early to post
Sure speak to the HR head Guderian. Have already put in a good word for you mate, so don't worry.

Loved the melange of snaps. I am very used to the Admiral dwarfing anyone in his presence, that i seriously got taken aback. Boy does that LC have some presence or what?

I am not sure how old it is, but even today the design stands it ground and is something that will still get your fancy, grab your eyeballs and make you want to own one.

But having said that, i can see quite a few similarities between the LC and the T-Fort. They have definately introduced a few curves here and there to keep up with the times.

Keep em coming...
Edit: Dot congratulations on your 900th Post. Dotty Poster indeed.

Last edited by mdsaab : 29th June 2011 at 11:17.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 13:15   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. rahutomakawk, General, do you know how many such older gen LCs are there in the country? Seems like a silly question, but I have a feeling that you wont find too many examples on our roads. There maybe more LRs than LCs.

2.I can see mdsaab is being extra productive today.
Hey dot,
1. You are right - I think FS is quite a collectors item. Despite my keen lookout to spot and capture on snaps such vehicles I haven't come across the LC of this vintage - 1990.
Also a fond hope that in a few years time - Admiral too knocks the protals of this kind of a status. It looks promising.

2. Errr...care to elaborate ? You are not a peepin' Tom are you ?!!

Quote:

1. Loved the melange of snaps.

But having said that, i can see quite a few similarities between the LC and the T-Fort. They have definately introduced a few curves here and there to keep up with the times.

2. Edit: Dot congratulations on your 900th Post.
Hi mdsaab,

1. Thanks.

I noticed quite a few similarities too - at the looks and equipment design level. Will try and put up a list sometime.

2. Congrats dot. Rolling on to be a senior citizen eh ?!!
Old 29th June 2011, 13:30   #910
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. You are right - I think FS is quite a collectors item. Despite my keen lookout to spot and capture on snaps such vehicles I haven't come across the LC of this vintage - 1990.
Also a fond hope that in a few years time - Admiral too knocks the protals of this kind of a status. It looks promising.
Yes you are right. LC is quite a collector's item. For the same reason, Admiral cannot be. Look at the sales numbers.

Quote:
2. Errr...care to elaborate ?
Sorry only mdsaab can do that as I was certainly not peepin.

Quote:

dot. Rolling on to be a senior citizen eh ?!!
[/quote]

Inevitability..As the great Suresh Srinivasan once told, today could be your last day.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:25   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you are right. LC is quite a collector's item. For the same reason, Admiral cannot be. Look at the sales numbers.
Hi dot,
Admiral would become a collector's item after 10 years ! The LC/FS is so after 21 years or so.
Hmm...such a long wait.

And pardon my ignorance - but who is Suresh S ?

Last edited by Guderian : 29th June 2011 at 14:27.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:28   #912
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi dot,
Admiral would become a collector's item after 10 years ! The LC/FS is so after 21 years or so.
Hmm...such a long wait.
Ok, now understood your point.

In that case, you have already collected a collector's item in your collection.

Quote:
And pardon my ignorance - but who is Suresh S ?
Oh you should listen to him sometime. He is something.
http://potentia.in/suresh_team.html

Last edited by dot : 29th June 2011 at 14:35.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 23:41   #913
BHPian

Hey Guderian and other followers of Channel TOGO !! Just wanted to put down a rather disturbing experience I had on a recent drive. Had to change a Tyre and all went well except for the three piece iron rod used to turn the screw that lowers and raises the stepney. Now I liked this system as one does not have to lift the tyre at any point of time except when slipping it on to the hub studs and believe me it is a blessing as its bloody heavy! however the end of the lever / rod does not sit very positively in the internal slot of the lowering / raising mechanisim of the stepney so one keeps on fiddling with it specially as I did not want to scratch the paint on the bumper where the slot to insert this lever is situated. So after the change once again after a few slips while tightening the stepney into place (this is the firts time i am using such a set up and was worried that I might find the stepney slipping off its chain and declaring freedom) when i pulled out the lever from the slot i found to my horror that the last piece of the three-piece lever had come off and was left within the slot. Since the length of this section of the lever is lesser the depth it has to be inserted to engage the mechanisim it fell into a channel like space within the slot. Nothing I could do could help me get even the slightest of a grip to pull out this piece. I had to get under the vehicle and after a lot of groping in the dark managed to get my fingertips on this piece. there is a small gap just behind the bumper and the cover/channel through the lever passes to engage the screw mechanism where you can just get your fingers in. Even then the lever piece has to be gently coaxed out through the same slot in the bumper and cannot be removed from the bottom. So if any of you guys need to change your tyre on your fortuner just make sure that when you assemble the three piece lever tighten all lock bolts properly and ensure that they are in the right position to engage into the small dimple for this very purpose and do extract the lever out of the slot gently or it could turn messy. I am planning to get a single piece lever fabricated though, plenty of space to store it in the rear. regards. Manmohan.
Old 30th June 2011, 07:58   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Hey Guderian and other followers of Channel TOGO !! Just wanted to put down a rather disturbing experience I had on a recent drive.
now that sounds nightmarish, glad you finally managed to get it out though. But it seems like quite a fiddly thing to use. maybe getting a one piece fabricated it a rather good idea.
I think even Guderian mentioned earlier that the Scorpio setup was much simpler and fool proof to use.
Old 30th June 2011, 09:25   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Hey Guderian and other followers of Channel TOGO !! Just wanted to put down a rather disturbing experience I had on a recent drive.
Hi MMji, (Thank God at least our Manmohanji is talking off and on on this channel and with good quality inputs ! Unlike the other MMji...)

That is action learning indeed and thanks for sharing your experience !

As mdsaab mentioned below - I have been ranting about the poor design of stepney retrieval and securing. The three piece rod only adds to the misery.

Your observations are bang on.
1. Tighten the pieces firmly - but don't over torque - it could splinter in your hands - as it did on the day I received Admiral. And they had to replace it with the rod from the demo TFort !

2. When securing back the stepney - again don't overtorque. The hook-end piece of the Tommy could get jammed as it did in the case of...hanji... MMji !

3. Wonderful idea to get another single piece rod. I think a Scorpio's Tommy would be ideal. Just check before buying whether the hookend fits into the bumper and lowering mechanism aperture without jamming.

And as once mentioned before - just do remember to lower and raise the stepney once a quarter to ensure that the mechanism is not jammed with mud and muck which flies around. That can be another nightmare too !

Quote:
now that sounds nightmarish, glad you finally managed to get it out though. But it seems like quite a fiddly thing to use. maybe getting a one piece fabricated it a rather good idea.
I think even Guderian mentioned earlier that the Scorpio setup was much simpler and fool proof to use.
Hi mdsaab,

Right said Fred. Good memory.

Scorpio had another issue altogether - the cable holding up the stepney appeared to be weak. In this department the elephant chain of the TFort feels rather sturdy.

Had a case of a close friend with a Scorpio who braked hard at a toll booth on the Mum-Pune Eway and found 'a' tyre overtaking him at the booth, with the toll chaps rapidly calculating as to how much would a single tyre's toll be and my friend too wondering as to who could be travelling on just 3 tyres - when he realised that the tyre looked suspiciously familiar.
And the rest was history/geography/auto-engineering/whatever. I think the cable had snapped or something.

Hard to believe ? Check with HVK (HV Kumar) of this forum !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread