Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 25th August 2011, 20:53   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Wow ! Came back here after sometime and realised I better read the posts wearing glares !
So much of chrome and now gold glare too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
This includes a chrome finish bonnet protector which is news to me.
That was quite a sight believe me. And how did he get the idea - must have seen some of the earlier vehicles with fake scoops but totally chromed. Bingo ! It jumped to the TFort too.
If the new Scorpio has this chrome, what is popularly called the Walrus tooth, gracing its front grill then this chromed scoop of the TFort could easily be a mammoth's tusk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I personally am not a very big fan of those after market chromes. IMO, the T-Fort is in itself eye catchy. Why add the extra chrome and spoil the looks of one of the best SUV's in the market? That too on a black one! Sacreligious, I tell you .
Hi SI,
On a black one the chrome really stands out and beyond a certain degree of chromification it can be terrible as you mention. And on a silver it is totally lost. But yes, overall extra chrome on the handsome beast would be almost like John J Rambo with lipstick ! Dark red, if you please !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
^^I agree. Too much chrome is looks very cheap. It looks good only on the large barges of 60s, the ones with fins.
And I do have one of those old barges - A Cadilac Eldorado, pink, 1959, with fins and plenty of chrome. Of a course a Maisto collectible. Very nice. Shall put up snap sometime on the scale models thread.
And now you've got me thinking of the TFort with fins etc and chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Hail General!

Well, why don't these guys add Gold rims to the vehicle and make it more uglier like this!
Come in AlphaKilo.
That is quite some chrome on that Hummer. And lookee those wheels !
Comparable would be a black TFort, very dark tinted glasses gold plated trims and gold plated wheels ! Wooo...a sight indeed.
But I am sure sooner or later I'll see one of these kinds too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
My Falcon will just undergo the slightest of transplants to the exhaust in the shape of a Muffler Cutter, which does serve dual purpose of protection too, and that's it.
OK just add a chrome plated steering wheel and pedal covers to that. Will add a great bling touch - bwana mastaah !
Well still thinking over that muffler cutter for Admiral. Guess not.

Last edited by Guderian : 25th August 2011 at 21:16.
Old 25th August 2011, 22:47   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Comparable would be a black TFort, very dark tinted glasses gold plated trims and gold plated wheels
I am imagining it and getting all excited. While I make this happen, I am thinking of getting thoroughly tanned and then putting on a couple of gold teeth and maybe a heavy gold chain + bangle. Maybe also get one of those Scaramanga 0.45s along with a gold zippo.

I think years down the line, people will miss the classsic Fortuner's look. The new one already looks toned down.
Old 25th August 2011, 22:59   #1188
BHPian

Hail Generale'

Did you know that those Chrome garnishes (headlights cluster, tail light cluster, door handle grip inside, fender indicators wrap around, muffler cutter & ORVMS body) are OEM accessories ?
Ok, apart from the stock Chrome ORVM body, the rest are offered as add-on accessories. I almost fell out of my chair when the Sales guy handed over the Toyota OE accessories catalogue, when I was booking the Truck.
I guess Toyota India sure knows what appeals to the Indian eye

The extra Chrome is an overkill for that butch of a car.
Nonetheless my Truck's got a bit too.
The muffler cutter (with Toyota engraving )
But its purely for functional reasons, as rightly indicated by dkaile.
IMO it also looks pretty cool (check it out @ my garage)

Cheers
Monaro CV8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 23:10   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Looks cool; A clearer close-up photo would be most appreciated.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 10:45   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
1.I am imagining it and getting all excited. While I make this happen, I am thinking of getting thoroughly tanned and then putting on a couple of gold teeth and maybe a heavy gold chain + bangle. Maybe also get one of those Scaramanga 0.45s along with a gold zippo.

2. I think years down the line, people will miss the classsic Fortuner's look. The new one already looks toned down.
1. Not to forget a gold chain link at the end of which dangles your hip watch, gold trimmed suspenders and gold pince-nez. No gold plated cigarette holder ?

2. You could say that again. This morning I was driving along with a twin of Admiral (colour and near identical number plate - must have been registered a day or two after Admiral) for almost 10 odd KMs on the highway, in parallel with both of us drivers admiring their vehicle's mirror images. The experience left me thinking about the classic TFort's looks and stance in general.

Quote:
Did you know that those Chrome garnishes (headlights cluster, tail light cluster, door handle grip inside, fender indicators wrap around, muffler cutter & ORVMS body) are OEM accessories ?
Ok, apart from the stock Chrome ORVM body, the rest are offered as add-on accessories. I almost fell out of my chair when the Sales guy handed over the Toyota OE accessories catalogue, when I was booking the Truck.
I guess Toyota India sure knows what appeals to the Indian eye

The extra Chrome is an overkill for that butch of a car.
Nonetheless my Truck's got a bit too.
But its purely for functional reasons, as rightly indicated by dkaile.
IMO it also looks pretty cool (check it out @ my garage)

Cheers
Hi Monaro,
Yes indeed. Have that brochure lying at home and a soft copy too. And the FNSM tried selling me all of those and almost fell for that cutter but stopped myself in time for whatever reason then.
But then the stock chrome is not just the OVRM cover - you forgot about the external door handles, internal door latches, single trim on the instrument cluster...anymore which I have missed ?

Also from your garage - notice that couple of snaps do not have the muffler cutter and couple appear to have them. So did you get it fitted after running your TFort for some time ?
Old 27th August 2011, 07:07   #1191
BHPian

Hi General Saab,
The muffler cutter has been there since day 1.
Maybe the angle of view in a few pics do not show the same clearly.
I will try to upload a close up pic soon.

BTW, since you're taking the admiral to the Service Center today, do check out the SMILE package offered by Toyota.
I've uploaded the details on dkaile's thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/106007-millennium-falcon-toyota-fortuner-raptor-built-last-8.html#post2483658 thread.

cheers.

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 27th August 2011 at 07:09.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 12:36   #1192
BHPian

Hail Generale'
Thanks to you, I got the propeller shaft greasing done the last time the Truck went in for the 5K scheduled service.
Co-incidentally they knew the prop-shaft greasing.
The SA was like, 'we don't do it for 5 K service'. I insisted on paying for it, but getting it done, since the Truck had been to the boot camp recently.
Eventually they did it for free.

While chatting up with the SA, also learnt that DSK Toyota - Kolhapur was the no. 1 dealer in the country for Best Toyota Service, followed by DSK Toyota - Pune.
He also mentioned that many of the clients come down from Navi Mumbai region (sharayu Toyota & wasan Toyota clients) to get the services of DSK Toyota - Pune .

No wonder these guys were aware of details like prop shaft greasing.

Been wanting to post the pics for quite some time now. Seen here while the GMs were upto it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 27th August 2011 at 12:37.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 20:42   #1193
r2i

Dear Guderian,
Thanks for posting a wealth of information in your thread. I have been a silent follower of your excellent posts and two days ago I finally took delivery of my Fortuner after a full five months wait (its a White !) . The delivery checklist wouldn't have been complete without dropping this thank you note Same for dkaile and nilanjanray posts too.

I have the following question and a response would be appreciated - I Took the car today for a spin and I found that gears 1-3 behaves differently than my petrol car (Ritz). To me it feels slightly strained. The car is at home on the 4th gear and glides effortlessly. What should be the ideal speeds for gear changes - especially 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd ?
r2i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 21:09   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, since you're taking the admiral to the Service Center today, do check out the SMILE package offered by Toyota.
I've uploaded the details on dkaile's thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/106007-millennium-falcon-toyota-fortuner-raptor-built-last-8.html#post2483658 thread.

Thanks to you, I got the propeller shaft greasing done the last time the Truck went in for the 5K scheduled service.
Co-incidentally they knew the prop-shaft greasing.
The SA was like, 'we don't do it for 5 K service'. I insisted on paying for it, but getting it done, since the Truck had been to the boot camp recently.
Eventually they did it for free.

While chatting up with the SA, also learnt that DSK Toyota - Kolhapur was the no. 1 dealer in the country for Best Toyota Service, followed by DSK Toyota - Pune.
He also mentioned that many of the clients come down from Navi Mumbai region (sharayu Toyota & wasan Toyota clients) to get the services of DSK Toyota - Pune .

No wonder these guys were aware of details like prop shaft greasing.

Been wanting to post the pics for quite some time now. Seen here while the GMs were upto it.
Hi Monaro,
Thanks for all the info !
Yeah - had a look at the Smile package. Funny part was that when I was getting Admiral the FNSM dissuaded me from taking the Smile package and asked me to check out the running pattern and then decide or some such mumbo jumbo. Must be for the same reason that dkaile mentioned.
Will check out and see whether I need to take it when I am at the ASC next time - and that would be soon.
From the snaps the DSK joint looks neat and cool.
May be someday we can drive down to DSK Kolhapur and check it out as a team. And two TForts or more driving down and checking out their innards and entrails would be too much for them I guess.
Let's see if we can work out a joint foray and perhaps a fun drive too on the way or after !
Old 29th August 2011, 07:39   #1195
Senior - BHPian

@General - I hope the drive back to Thane from Pune was as smooth as possible and you/Admiral did not get stuck in jams because of water logging. I was listening to the news on the Radio (yes you read that right ) and they were talking about heavy rains in Thane disrupting life.
Old 29th August 2011, 09:08   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@General - I hope the drive back to Thane from Pune was as smooth as possible and you/Admiral did not get stuck in jams because of water logging. I was listening to the news on the Radio (yes you read that right ) and they were talking about heavy rains in Thane disrupting life.
Hi Amit,
Thanks for asking. The return drive from Pune after meeting all of you was a delight ! No issues except that there was tons of water from all over. And a normally boring expressway drive was one of the best I've done.
Report and snaps follow.
Old 29th August 2011, 12:41   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Amit,
Thanks for asking. The return drive from Pune after meeting all of you was a delight ! No issues except that there was tons of water from all over. And a normally boring expressway drive was one of the best I've done.
Report and snaps follow.
Hail General,

Admiral should be water friendly isnt it? His whole bread and butter comes from sailing But anyway, what is this Prop-shaft greasing? Is it done at the universal couplings or at the Transfer case?
(As always, AK comes with questions )
over n out
Old 29th August 2011, 15:33   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Hail General, hope you had a safe ride back home. Would have loved to check Admiral in all its glory, had the rains not played a havoc on the day. Even our plan for the photoshoot went kaput.Well, nonetheless. Sometime soon.
So, where is that report that you promised us ?
Old 30th August 2011, 09:55   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Admiral should be water friendly isnt it? His whole bread and butter comes from sailing But anyway, what is this Prop-shaft greasing? Is it done at the universal couplings or at the Transfer case?
(As always, AK comes with questions )
over n out
AK come in.
He's most happy frolicking in water - but I am not very happy about it as water and salt are disastrous for any vehicle in the long run. But anyway once in a way is fine I suppose.
And about that prop shaft greasing. There are about 6 grease nipples on the two shafts - f'd and rear. They are present at the UJ cross ends and at the transfer case end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Hail General, hope you had a safe ride back home. Would have loved to check Admiral in all its glory, had the rains not played a havoc on the day. Even our plan for the photoshoot went kaput.Well, nonetheless. Sometime soon.
So, where is that report that you promised us ?
Hi Swanand,
Delighted to have met all of you. Truly pity about the rains. Had kept Admiral all ready for the kit inspection and photo shoot.
For sure - next time around.

One report - being served up soon sir !

Last edited by Guderian : 30th August 2011 at 09:58.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 18:05   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2i View Post
Dear Guderian,
Thanks for posting a wealth of information in your thread. I have been a silent follower of your excellent posts and two days ago I finally took delivery of my Fortuner after a full five months wait (its a White !) . The delivery checklist wouldn't have been complete without dropping this thank you note Same for dkaile and nilanjanray posts too.

I have the following question and a response would be appreciated - I Took the car today for a spin and I found that gears 1-3 behaves differently than my petrol car (Ritz). To me it feels slightly strained. The car is at home on the 4th gear and glides effortlessly. What should be the ideal speeds for gear changes - especially 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd ?
Hi r2i.,
Firstly apologies for this delayed response ! Thank you for the kind words and for having remembered all of us in your moment of joy...
Secondly hearty congratulations on getting the Classic TFort ! You certainly have a winner there in your hands, my friend.

As far as the 2nd and 3rd gears are concerned it did take me a while to get used to it as compared to my earlier ride the Scorp CRDe. I think you may be changing gears a little too early therby straining the engine in those gears. What I generally follow is to change the gears - 1st to 2nd at 20/25 KMPH, 2nd to 3rd at 30/35 KMPH and 3rd to 4th at 40/45 KMPH. I think the RPM should be around 1.2/1/5K in the gear you are moving out from when you change gears. Frankly I have stopped looking at the tacho these days and go purely by the feel. Maybe I'll have a look at it today and report back again.

What have you named your mechanical bundle of joy ?

Have fun and looking forward to your thread with lotsa juicy pics and information.

Last edited by Guderian : 30th August 2011 at 18:08.
Closed Thread