Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 31st August 2011, 15:00   #1216
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

General, you have turned the thread into a 24x7 infotainment channel of sorts! One-of-a-kind.

The drive sure looks great with all that water pouring down.

One humble request, please don't click pics while you are at the wheel, got to do with your own and fellow road user's safety. Infact, our very own drivoblog expert - tirthankar got banned coz of this. Don't want this channel shutting down. Just a precautionary note. Hope you are not offended, I really don't mean it that way

And if all the pics were indeed taken while you were stationary, I take back my words.

EDIT: Read your response on bluevolt's post. While I appreciate you being cautious, I would request you to not post such snaps on the forum at least. Like I said, a fellow member was banned for this particular reason.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 31st August 2011 at 15:06.
Old 31st August 2011, 15:06   #1217
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Hi General,
I have been following your thread for a long time and must say that its an excellent write up and the love for admiral is really admiring.
I am in a dilemma and need your help.
I currently drive a skoda superb automatic diesel which is 2.5yrs old.
The other day I drove a friends Tfort and completely fell in love with the power,handling and possibly everything about the suv.
My only problem is I stay in Andheri west and have my office in Andheri East.
It is just a patch of 7Kms one way and it takes me 1hours and fifteen minutes everyday.And otherwise I do Mum -Goa 4 times a year in the superb.
My only concern is the Manual transmission in the Fortuner.
How does it feel to maneuver the suv in city traffic?
I am ok with the fortuner not having the power seats,sunroof,ICE.
And do ou know by when the Automatic fortuner will be launched here?

I am so tempted to book the white fortuner right away.
Sorry about jumping in but from what you seem to describe as your comute route and the fact that you have been using the AT, seems to indicate that you would probably be better of in an AT.

I too was using the Laura AT prior to picking the manual Aria so faced a similar dilema but in my case the daily travel is about 75kms and a good bit of that is not just the city drive but also the eastern express highway, so one does get a break to drive the car at higher speeds.

AT is definately a relief and yet the fortuner will get you better visibility and infact unlike the Superb people will move out of the way so size is actually an advantage for vehicles like the fortuner in the city.

The Idea scenario for you would be to get the AT Fortuner. I belive this is expected to come towards EOY or Early NY. But there are no confirmed report of this.

For those desiring a MT the current fortuner is fine enough but for those aspiring an AT the wait will be worth it. The Cost though can end up being close to 30L OTR (They would anyways push up the price of the fortuner for the new model and we can conveniently add at least 2L for the AT.

I suggest you wait if budget is not a concern at all. Else the current MT will be a superb VFM vehile (Pun Intended).
Old 31st August 2011, 15:10   #1218
BHPian

Hail General,

Superb!(Oh I am not talking about you confusion on cruise ships, its a word of appreciation) Pictures are as usual "picture perfect".
How do you feel after 8000odd nautical miles? In terms of refinement? Has the engine smoothened enough or you feel there are some more to go?

If you were given a option by toyota to add one thing(for free) in your TFort, which one would choose?(think of anything available on earth) Well this question would be sarcastic to many, but why I asked is, there must be something you would have felt, that this vehicle misses for sure.
Old 31st August 2011, 15:47   #1219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I have been following your thread for a long time and must say that its an excellent write up and the love for admiral is really admiring.
2. I am in a dilemma and need your help.
Hi Kedar,
1. Many thanks for your word of appreciation and being around.

2. I was about to respond to you that I am hardly the guy to give you advice on that as I have not driven any AT vehicle in India when I noticed that ACM had sent in a great piece of advice. I would agree totally that you wait for the TFort AT. Though I get this feeling that you'll loose out on the classic current looks.
However my gut feel is that you may have to wait till mid 2012 for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
This is a bit of the topic since this is a fortuner Longterm ownership thread, but to reply.
Anyways enough of Outside topic garbage from me lets get back to the Fortuner ownership.
Hi ACM,
Thanks for the explanation.
But please do go on on various matters regarding the Aria and your experiences. Folks would benefit getting a real good comparision of the two vehicles without having to search and sweat etc. Liking it immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
1. General, you have turned the thread into a 24x7 infotainment channel of sorts! One-of-a-kind.

The drive sure looks great with all that water pouring down.

2. Read your response on bluevolt's post.
Hi Dry Ice,
1. Many thanks for the words.

2. And - no offence taken or felt ! Appreciate the concern shown and will keep that in mind for future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Sorry about jumping in but from what you seem to describe as your comute route and the fact that you have been using the AT, seems to indicate that you would probably be better of in an AT.
Thanks ACM for the sage advice. Would have tied myself in knots there !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post

Superb!(Oh I am not talking about you confusion on cruise ships, its a word of appreciation) Pictures are as usual "picture perfect".
How do you feel after 8000odd nautical miles? In terms of refinement? Has the engine smoothened enough or you feel there are some more to go?

If you were given a option by toyota to add one thing(for free) in your TFort, which one would choose?(think of anything available on earth) Well this question would be sarcastic to many, but why I asked is, there must be something you would have felt, that this vehicle misses for sure.
Hi AK,
1. Thanks.
2. Do feel that the engine still has to go a long way before smoothening out completely. Still a very growly fellow. But the sound of the growl is something to die for as per me. Must say though that the noise from the engine has come down considerably in the cabin as compared to the early days.

3. Still scratching my head over that one free thing...give me some time sir !

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think thats a Superb not a Laura.
Hi Swanand,
Apologies for having wrongly named your ride. Sacrilege I know but I am 'Superb'ly unlettered in all things which go sedan. The only thing I have come close Laura-wise is the old movie - The Eyes of Laura Mars !
Old 31st August 2011, 19:12   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on reaching the 15K milestone. Some great photos and experiences Herr' Generale'! That experience with the 2ft water was a nerve shattering read. Brakes will go in any vehicle after such a experience and will also come back after pumping. But that intermediate time needs to be handled carefully as you did. I too am hearing one creak from around co-passenger seat when the stereo is off, though I have not been able to pinpoint the source yet, I feel it is from the lots of stuff/hazard light, that I have stored under it. Will get to the bottom of it soon.

@kedarwalke - TFort handles well in city traffic (on one finger if I am not exaggerating), though in smaller cities like Meerut, these rickshaws are a nuisance and one has to beware that they don't scratch you. However you do part the oncoming traffic and that is a big plus I noticed with the TFort. Never happened even with my Qualis, forget a sedan. Though you require a AT for your needs, but a true enthusiast will take the manual any day over the AT.

@ACM - Sir, it is a 'VFM' vehicle. Once you own it for a few years you realise this fact, and it grows on you day after day like any Toyota. Now I am planning to replace even my hatchbacks with a Toyota, once the diesel Liva comes in by December. Only wish the Liva had better designed interiors and not those gawky red seat covers and the hideous centre console. The 'driving pleasure' of a Toyota, as I mentioned on another thread (VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.), has no parallel (for me).

Last edited by dkaile : 31st August 2011 at 19:19.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:02   #1221
Senior - BHPian

As usual, Sweet pics General! The drive must have been heavenly in that particular weather. Reminds me of my drive in Gujarat in the month of July this year.

Seems like 31th August was a special day for many! I too, got a new set of wheels for my Shark yesterday.

One Question for you: With all the dirty talks about T-Fort's inefficient braking, did you observe any such thing in your Togo H in these adverse conditions (for braking power)?
Old 1st September 2011, 21:31   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
1. Congratulations on reaching the 15K milestone. Some great photos and experiences Herr' Generale'!

2. I too am hearing one creak from around co-passenger seat when the stereo is off, though I have not been able to pinpoint the source yet, I feel it is from the lots of stuff/hazard light, that I have stored under it.

3. Will get to the bottom of it soon.
Hi dkaile,
1. Many thanks !

2. Just release the recliner lever couple of times and I think it should sort itself out. Does the creaking persist even when no one is sitting in the P seat ? Is that the hazard sign (triangle) you are talking about or have you additionally purchased a light ?

3. Ahhh...! Seat, bottom...quite right - you must !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
As usual, Sweet pics General! The drive must have been heavenly in that particular weather. Reminds me of my drive in Gujarat in the month of July this year.

Seems like 31th August was a special day for many! I too, got a new set of wheels for my Shark yesterday.

One Question for you: With all the dirty talks about T-Fort's inefficient braking, did you observe any such thing in your Togo H in these adverse conditions (for braking power)?
Hi Ace,

1. Thanks ! I have not been patrolling and leaving behind marker buoys in the 'Shark' infested waters as much as I would like to though I have been silently reading all the posts there. Must say you have picked up quite a few eye catching items for the Shark !

2. As far as the brakes on the Admiral are concerned - all I can say is that I am satisfied with the braking power even under adverse circumstances. On the h/w runs and otherwise there have been quite a few of them. It stops well and in time. Yes, could be that the braking 'bite' of a sedan may just not be there and the overall experience a little 'soggy' - but it does its job. No dramatics.
Another aspect is that being a cautious driver (touchwood !) I do try and anticipate the 'other' fellows moves as far as possible and reduce the need to be overly reliant on the braking power. That helps too I guess.

Last edited by Guderian : 1st September 2011 at 21:33.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:28   #1223
Senior - BHPian

Hail HG,

Thats a lovely account of things gone by.
The snaps on the E-Way look lovely, and makes one dash for a quick drive. Congrats on the 15K mark. many more miles to go.
Hydroplaning sounds scary indeed! The E-Way seems to accumulate a lot of water in the rains, and like you rightly did, sticking to the center lane is a wise decision.
13.7 avg kmpl is sure decent enough for a monster that size.

Was about to point out a minor mistake in the report, but Akshay beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think thats a Superb not a Laura.
Yes Akshay and HG, that indeed is my newly acquired (pre-worshipped) Superb, not the Laura. My Laura is Cap. Beige in color. Err, the car's color is what I am talking about . Skoda needs to do something about naming the cars.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 2nd September 2011 at 12:35. Reason: adding text
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:52   #1224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am ok with the fortuner not having the power seats,sunroof,ICE.
And do ou know by when the Automatic fortuner will be launched here?

I am so tempted to book the white fortuner right away.
Wait for a bit. The AT ToFu is on on the cards very soon.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:55   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : A Moderator has already requested that posts remain ON-TOPIC here. Please do NOT go off-topic with your messages. This is NOT a chat thread.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd September 2011 at 19:14. Reason: View Mod Note in your post
dkaile is online now   Received Infraction
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:43   #1226
BHPian

Dear General Guddu

1. Congrats on the 15k with Admiral.
2. I wish to thank you for the wonderful inputs/reports/sand models/dinner nights/flower mornings with the Admiral.
3. All that data helped me immensely to photocopy your ride.
4. Thanks again.
Old 2nd September 2011, 21:35   #1227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post

1. Thats a lovely account of things gone by.
The snaps on the E-Way look lovely, and makes one dash for a quick drive. Congrats on the 15K mark. many more miles to go.
2. Hydroplaning sounds scary indeed! The E-Way seems to accumulate a lot of water in the rains, and like you rightly did, sticking to the center lane is a wise decision.
3. 13.7 avg kmpl is sure decent enough for a monster that size.

4. Was about to point out a minor mistake in the report, but Akshay beat me to it.
Yes Akshay and HG, that indeed is my newly acquired (pre-worshipped) Superb, not the Laura. My Laura is Cap. Beige in color. Err, the car's color is what I am talking about . Skoda needs to do something about naming the cars.
Hi SI,
1. Thanks for the good wishes and comments.
2. Let me know if the dash extends into Mumbai. Wee needed to complete that inspection of Admiral and photoshoot.
3. A little more patience - was hoping to touch 14/15 KMPL - but Admiral ran out of road and weather slowed things down ! Perhaps next real long drive.

Congratulations on acquiring the Superb !

Last edited by Guderian : 2nd September 2011 at 21:36.
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:16   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
Dear General Guddu

1. Congrats on the 15k with Admiral.
2. I wish to thank you for the wonderful inputs/reports/sand models/dinner nights/flower mornings with the Admiral.
3. All that data helped me immensely to photocopy your ride.
4. Thanks again.
Hi BBR_SHR,
1. Thanks.
2. "photocopy your ride" - Does this mean that you too have picked up a TFort ? If so then awaiting all the juicy details on your thread !

Say..."sand models/dinner nights" ...are you too connected with the Army/armed forces ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
PS - @BBR SHR - And General 'Guddu'!!! That's sacrilege for Herr' Generale', I would say!
Hi dkaile,
Ahhh well, sometimes it is good to wink at some of the things that young, enthusiastic officers do and pass it off under the question -" New recruit eh ?!!"

And today was yet another soggy day for Mumbai and the Admiral had to again wade through lots of water. Let me see if I can put up some snaps of Admiral sailing through choppy seas !

Last edited by Guderian : 3rd September 2011 at 18:18.
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:08   #1229
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd September 2011 at 19:17.
Furebo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:42   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
2. "photocopy your ride" - Does this mean that you too have picked up a TFort ? If so then awaiting all the juicy details on your thread !

Say..."sand models/dinner nights" ...are you too connected with the Army/armed forces ?
2. I did pick up a silver Fort

I am indeed connected to the Thal Sena thru my Father and father-in-law + several friends.
Closed Thread