Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 21st September 2011, 13:27   #1261
dot
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Whats the F1 Scratchout? Does it really get rid of the itch's and scratches? My Laura got a not so minor scratch- thanks to a pesky biker. Wondering if that would help it?

General, when's the next time you headed down? If possible, could I request you to caerry that product along?
Well you can borrow from me. Not necessary for Admiral to run all the way to apply dermicool for the itches and scratches. Noops was also a beneficiary sometime back.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 14:07   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the F1 Scratchout? Does it really get rid of the itch's and scratches? My Laura got a not so minor scratch- thanks to a pesky biker. Wondering if that would help it?

General, when's the next time you headed down? If possible, could I request you to caerry that product along?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Well you can borrow from me. Not necessary for Admiral to run all the way to apply dermicool for the itches and scratches. Noops was also a beneficiary sometime back.
Is this F1 the same Yellow color bottle. I have one but don't remember the name.

If its the same then Swanand you can pick it up from me in Hinjewadi. I think i have it in my car. Its need to be handy if you are travelling in Hinjewadi. Else you can also pick it up from any car accessories shop.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 15:57   #1263
BHPian

@swanand : mate, good that you brought this up.

The other day I went to the local car accessories shop and inquired about "the F1 scratch remover". All that they showed me was lots of F1 wax, yellow tins, boxes, etc. etc. stuff - but not the scratch remover!

I've been reading about this magic potion on generale's thread for quite some time now. Need a few scratches (a lot actually..) for attending to the cars in the stable.

Looks like dot and generale' want to keep the secret ingredient to themselves

Quote:
Hey dot, can we benefit from the dermicool too? Let me know where can one source this potion?
Thanks chief.

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 21st September 2011 at 16:11.
Old 21st September 2011, 16:27   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
@swanand : mate, good that you brought this up.

The other day I went to the local car accessories shop and inquired about "the F1 scratch remover". All that they showed me was lots of F1 wax, yellow tins, boxes, etc. etc. stuff - but not the scratch remover!

I've been reading about this magic potion on generale's thread for quite some time now. Need a few scratches (a lot actually..) for attending to the cars in the stable.

Looks like dot and generale' want to keep the secret ingredient to themselves

Hey dot, can we benefit from the dermicool too? Let me know where can one source this potion?
Thanks chief.
Hi Monaro,
The product is actually called "Formula One - Scratch Out" and it comes in a Upside down dispenser bottle. I believe General had also posted a pic of the bottle a few pages back. It is available easily at Reliance Autozone / TVS Carplus Stores and also at many Auto accessories shops. I have also used the product and it is one of the most effective solutions to remove small scratches.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 16:53   #1265
BHPian

Smile Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Thanks Behemoth for the cue.

Looked up on our good ol' forum and look what I found !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1807463 (Car Scratch Remover)

@Dot, @amitwlele, @hg: is this the same> ?

edit:

And this too...

http://cgi.ebay.in/ORIGINAL-FORMULA-...-/380289866183

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 21st September 2011 at 17:03.
Old 21st September 2011, 17:00   #1266
Senior - BHPian

^
Yes Sir, it is the same product. I have also posted its picture here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2514507 . Also need advice from my friends here on the issue/experience mentioned.
Old 21st September 2011, 19:17   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

EDIT: OT: This post officially makes me the devil :evilgrin . Post count 666. Had to be on your thread Generale!
Hi SI,
Firstly for all Togo Channel veiwers the snaps (was posted earlier too) of the now - "World Phamous in India" - F1 ScratchOut:
Name:  DSC07252.JPG
Views: 1468
Size:  195.2 KB
Name:  DSC07255.JPG
Views: 1455
Size:  174.4 KB
You can get it from a good FNAS.

Quote:
Humpfff...Partypooper. Doesn't want me to plan a drive to Pune !

Anyway Fraulein's application of paint from my side was a disaster - as the same discoloured over a period of time. Had I then possessed the Dupli-Color White that you got for me - it would have worked like a charm. But anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Is this F1 the same Yellow color bottle. I have one but don't remember the name.
Hi Amit, Check and see if it is the same from the pics above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post

Looks like dot and generale' want to keep the secret ingredient to themselves.
Hi Monaro,
Shhh...Omerta is the word here.
In case you come down to Mumbai let me know you can swear allegience to the brotherhood and get a bottle in return !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I have also used the product and it is one of the most effective solutions to remove small scratches.
Hi Behemoth,
I concur.
Very effective for minor scratches. May not do anything for major ones.
Apply the ScratchOut and follow it up with the F1 car polish. Leaves it in a great condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Also need advice from my friends here on the issue/experience mentioned.
Hi dkaile,
As above ! Good product to my mind. Is there anything specific that you seek ?

Last edited by Guderian : 21st September 2011 at 19:39.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 21:50   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Admiral's Botox.

Along with all the other pills and potions for the Admiral are these paint applicators from Dupli-Color, USA that I have been talking about for sometime.
Putting them up here as promised on another thread and also as a part of the series on the pills and potions of Admiral.

(Disclaimer - No I don't work for Dupli-Color, nor do I receive any commission from them in any form whatsoever and have been paying through my stubby nose for all the products. The only interest I have in the products is that I have been using them for the last 5 years and find them fairly good.)

I have a motley collection of them - Universal Black for the Scorpio, White - for the LoH's Bunny - Alto K10, Silver for Admiral etc.
They have a life of about 2 years after opening them. After that they dry up and no amount of thinner infusion helps.
Used basically to cover minor but deep scratches specially on the claddings, bumpers and body which usually cannot be removed effectively by the 'ScratchOut' like products.

The latest bunch:
Name:  DSC08901.JPG
Views: 1468
Size:  262.5 KB

Silvers for Admiral - Not opened yet !
Name:  DSC08902.JPG
Views: 1542
Size:  264.7 KB

Opened - White - for the LOH's Alto K10:
Name:  DSC08903.JPG
Views: 1467
Size:  237.2 KB
Name:  DSC08904.JPG
Views: 1421
Size:  172.8 KB

How it works is that it has a roller tip on one end. Use this for covering very thin scratches by just running the tip over the damaged area. Like a roller tip pen:
Name:  DSC08905.JPG
Views: 1362
Size:  162.4 KB

Unscrew the collar and lo and behold - the other end, dipped in the reservoir, has a small brush end. To be used for touching up wide scratches/patches:
Name:  DSC08910.JPG
Views: 1318
Size:  136.9 KB

The reservoir (sorry about the blurred pic !):
Name:  DSC08908.JPG
Views: 1355
Size:  182.7 KB

Overall - a fairly good product for minor touch ups for both cosmetic cover ups and for protecting the skin from rust etc eg some areas in the engine bay which may loose out on paint cover (like engine bay rim thanks to constant opening and closing of the bonnet and rattling etc) and could be over a period of time be visited and covered by uncle Rust. Just a dab of this potion and all is well !

Long John...Silver !

Name:  DSC08911.JPG
Views: 1285
Size:  269.8 KB
Name:  DSC08912.JPG
Views: 1270
Size:  131.9 KB
Guderian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 07:28   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Admiral's Botox.

Along with all the other pills and potions for the Admiral are these paint applicators from Dupli-Color, USA that I have been talking about for sometime.
@General - This is great. I am assuming these cannot be ordered online and have to purchased in US. So we need our freinds to go to US often. dot are you listening.

Also i guess these would be available only for global auto brands (considering the color shades might be universal) and not for our home grown companies (read TATA and Vista in particular).

One more addition to be made to the index.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:27   #1270
Senior - BHPian

Wow HG, that was a wonderfull illustration! Glad that such products do work.
It is absolutely unfortunate (for me) that my car is of a weird color (Cap Beige), which may not be available off the rack (so to speak). Need to check FNAS for such magic potions.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 21:02   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@General - This is great. I am assuming these cannot be ordered online and have to purchased in US. So we need our freinds to go to US often. dot are you listening.

Also i guess these would be available only for global auto brands (considering the color shades might be universal) and not for our home grown companies (read TATA and Vista in particular).

One more addition to be made to the index.
Hi Amit,
Believe me but you get the pens for Indian cars too or shades very close to the colours we have here. Only thing is that you need to know the exact name of the shade and search for it at the shop where they stock it in huge quantities (Pep Boys and the like). I previously had a black Scorpio and I got what DC calls 'Universal Black' and that was an exact shade.
Quote:
Wow HG, that was a wonderfull illustration! Glad that such products do work.
It is absolutely unfortunate (for me) that my car is of a weird color (Cap Beige), which may not be available off the rack (so to speak). Need to check FNAS for such magic potions.
Hi SI,
Thanks.
But I think you can get the shade - as mentioned above to Amit. Check with someone you have there. Ask them to go to Pep Boys and get it for you.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:49   #1272
Senior - BHPian

And so yesterday had lots of time to potter our little township and went here and there. And Admiral met five toughies/ruffians !

First spot. Was able to take a few snaps of the underbelly plates:
Name:  DSC08917.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  148.2 KB

Took these snaps to show you the plates and why later on, when I went to the fabricator for an initial round of discussions to change the thin OE steel plates to 6MM aluminium plates - it turned out to be a damp squib.
Name:  DSC08913.JPG
Views: 1310
Size:  129.8 KB
The plastic shields and the contoured front steel plate is going to be difficult in a single sheet shaping mode. It would need to be cut in various pieces and then bolted on. But it is going to get a messy look. Not very happy with that.

No issues with the rear steel plate shield which can be easily substituted as it is an almost straight piece:
Name:  DSC08914.JPG
Views: 1179
Size:  206.2 KB

So either I give up the idea of changing the plates or give up the insipid fabricator. Will decide duly.

The first ruffian Admiral encountered yesterday !
Name:  DSC08920.JPG
Views: 1198
Size:  203.9 KB

And the next three !
Name:  DSC08921.JPG
Views: 1173
Size:  291.6 KB
Name:  DSC08923.JPG
Views: 1158
Size:  225.3 KB
Name:  DSC08925.JPG
Views: 1164
Size:  214.3 KB
Must say Admiral held his ground very well.

And not just ruffians - a toughie too !
Name:  DSC08926.JPG
Views: 5187
Size:  168.5 KB

The encounter with the Endeavour was able to help me compare the two magnificient vehicles well.
The Endeavour was a 4X4 Automatic. Not very well maintained (to look at ) but it had done some tough duties by the looks of it and has been chugging along real well.
Name:  DSC08928.JPG
Views: 5913
Size:  206.7 KB
Name:  DSC08932.JPG
Views: 1167
Size:  164.8 KB
Name:  DSC08933.JPG
Views: 1815
Size:  168.1 KB
Far lengthier - Ford-Endeavour's 5100mm to Toyota- Fortuner's 4695mm but bodyspace-wise(all around) appears that the Fortuner may be a little more ?

Dents ! Add to the tough looks. Wish it were at least touched up to protect it from rust. The dent could be left as it is.Scarface !
Name:  DSC08935.JPG
Views: 1129
Size:  196.8 KB

Stubby and acquiline noses !
Name:  DSC08937.JPG
Views: 1123
Size:  181.3 KB

Both have great stances:
Name:  DSC08940.JPG
Views: 1179
Size:  277.0 KB
Name:  DSC08943.JPG
Views: 1108
Size:  300.7 KB
Name:  DSC08944.JPG
Views: 1089
Size:  255.4 KB
Name:  DSC08946.JPG
Views: 1169
Size:  270.8 KB

Nice badging. Not stickers though !
Name:  DSC08947.JPG
Views: 2473
Size:  188.9 KB

Liked the wheels. Smarter than the Fortuner I thought:
Name:  DSC08949.JPG
Views: 1500
Size:  222.5 KB
But the wheels overall looks a little small for the bulk. It is an R16 tyre of the Endeavour of course compared to the R17s on the Fortuner.

Large and good looking ORVMs:
Name:  DSC08953.JPG
Views: 1112
Size:  276.2 KB

Hey look ! Chrome-o-somes ! Same penchant for shiny stuff in both:
Name:  DSC08954.JPG
Views: 1106
Size:  169.8 KB

The name Henry built ! Quite a distance travelled by the Tin Lizzie aka Ford-T Model !
Name:  DSC08956.JPG
Views: 1103
Size:  147.6 KB

Peekaboo inside. Note the rotary dial 4WD selector - just behind the A/T gear lever.
Name:  DSC08960.JPG
Views: 1173
Size:  203.6 KB
(Disclaimer: That single potato chip on the console in front of the A/T gear lever is not a part of standard accessories supplied by the company !)

Ooh...What a length !
Name:  DSC08967.JPG
Views: 1451
Size:  164.4 KB

Ahh...What strength !
Name:  DSC08970.JPG
Views: 1125
Size:  135.2 KB

Great machines both:
Name:  DSC08974.JPG
Views: 1168
Size:  206.4 KB

Stop tickling my nostrils !
Name:  DSC08971.JPG
Views: 1084
Size:  180.9 KB

Overall felt good pottering around the town in the behemoth. But the FE I noticed fell to about 9.3 KMPL thanks to all the traffic and narrow lanes.

But nice way to spend a day on domestic duties !

Last edited by Guderian : 23rd September 2011 at 18:59.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 17:07   #1273
Senior - BHPian

And here I was thinking, how come no updates on the Togo channel?
Just decided to peek in, and lo what a sight to behold! Admiral and the Endy look great together. Heck, even a detailed comparo between the two would be worthy of a read.

HG, why are you thinking of changing the under plates to Aluminium? Any particular reason?
Old 30th September 2011, 17:28   #1274
BHPian

Hey HG i remember seeing those color pens exchanging hands one of these days. Was wondering what exactly was the use for them. Now that i Know and since the white one i open, i guess hiranandani here I come

I have the same question as swanand: Why the change in plates?
Old 30th September 2011, 23:10   #1275
dot
Senior - BHPian

Nice set of long, long vehicles. Some how I have maintained that the Endy is narrower than it should have been. A slightly wider Endy would have looked terrific. The facelifted dashboard also works well for the Endy. And the alloys shares similar genes with the Ikon and the Fiesta.

I have an odd question: Looks like both the vehicles were angular parked on a narrow road. Question is how much of the road was left?

Last edited by dot : 30th September 2011 at 23:12.
Closed Thread