Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th January 2014, 11:24   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Innova: My Hi-way star: Long term ownership review

The Innova is brilliant car, my Innova has done 66k kms in 4years it is a Dec2009 8-seater GX, no issues till date the durability of this car is unbelievable i had my front brake pads changed only at 62k kms and the rear ones are still good to go for 5k kms as told by my SA. Also, once you start driving this car its size shrinks around you and plus its 102bhp output is what i would say as just the right amount no more no less, but yes a taller fifth or sixth cog would be welcome cause at 110kph the engine is ticking just a tad under 2800rpm.

My only gripe with this car is the paint quality and the scratches that appear so easily, and after living with the Innova in Chennai for 4 years some parts of the car are an eyesore like the corners of the bumpers and doors scratched by pesky two-wheelers.

Overall if there is a need for another MUV at home we would definitely by another Innova.
EDIT: The GT3's lasted for around 52k kms before they reached the 5mm tread depth mark, changed to Continental CPC2's in stock size, brilliant boots these.

Last edited by Shanksta : 26th January 2014 at 11:27.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 12:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Great review, easy to read and to the point.
What more can i say, the Innova is a fantastic vehicle and the perfect all rounder. my only gripe is the size, i found it a tad to big for congested city roads. but the gentlemen who came with us for the test drive was driving it like a hot hatch. I asked him how he was so comfortable, chucking her around. and he said that once you are used to it the size shrinks around you. seeing the way he drove it. I BELIEVE HIM!

Drive Safe!

Well I also say the same thing ,after driving it for some time ,you get used to the size and know the car's limits.
It's quite FTD actually ,I mean you cannot compare it to a sedan or so,but for the size it's a great drive.
This is coming by someone who's woken up at 0500 to drive this beauty.

Just remember about the brake fade especially if you don't have ABS. cadence braking has saved me a whole lotta times.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 14:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have nothing but praise for the machine. After 4.5 years of ownership of an Innova V (approx 32.5 K), and a completely hassle free performance.
Accessories - the only things I went for were a Pioneer HU, Sony headrest screens, reverse camera and GPS. That too because the stock HU was unable to integrate the ipod, bluetooth, reverse camera and gps. They have already addressed the needs of reverse camera, integration of ipod, and bluetooth in the new models IIRC, but still lack support for GPS.
Other than this change, the car is completely stock.

How can Innova do better:
1) They need to do something about the body roll the car has when cornering at speed.

2) They need to think about providing roof rack (for luggage) as an optional add-on

3) Not so sure about the sixth gear opined by some. On a recent longish trip, in fact it was good to have a fairly tall 4th gear - good for 30-85 kmph at load.

4) IMHO, it really needs cruise control. This car is ideal as a tourer, and cruise control will help immensely for the driver - provided he does not fall asleep at the wheel!

Other than that, it's a great ride, IMHO
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 21:56   #19
BHPian

So , My Innova came back from the 65k servicing. All the usual work was done. I had asked them to check and clean the CCV hose because it had got very oily and dirty. my Shock Absorber bushings needed changing(rear only).
My Rear-Left shock absorber had to be changed as it was leaking-they cost around INR 1.4k. Total for the servicing came to INR 3k.
Surprisingly, A.S.S. didn't change both rear shock absorbers. Only the rear left. Aren't both the shock absorbers supposed to be changed(If one leaked,the other is bound to leak in the near future)?
sr_1445 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr_1445 View Post
Surprisingly, A.S.S. didn't change both rear shock absorbers. Only the rear left. Aren't both the shock absorbers supposed to be changed(If one leaked,the other is bound to leak in the near future)?
Why?
so if one wheel runs over a pothole and gets a bent rim, you would change both?
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 13:11   #21
BHPian

Well, I have a peculiar problem in my innova. Even when the AC knob is set to indoor circulation, the smell from outside wafts in. Can anyone know from where else can it come in. I have checked a small rubber on the LHS side and its snugly fit, the flap is quite ok and closes well and lastly below the steering there is a rubber and that also seems quite OK.
an_and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 14:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Why?
so if one wheel runs over a pothole and gets a bent rim, you would change both?
Agreed about the rim. But won't having one new shock absorber and all others old affect handling and ride characteristics ? And don't you think both shock absorbers would wear more or less evenly(because they work together)? I have a feeling that I might see the other shock absorber being changed within the next two visits to A.S.S.(for regular servicing) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Well, I have a peculiar problem in my innova. Even when the AC knob is set to indoor circulation, the smell from outside wafts in. Can anyone know from where else can it come in. I have checked a small rubber on the LHS side and its snugly fit, the flap is quite ok and closes well and lastly below the steering there is a rubber and that also seems quite OK.
Go through this :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tion-mode.html (Outside air entering cabin even with a/c in recirculation mode.)
sr_1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 15:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed about the rim. But won't having one new shock absorber and all others old affect handling and ride characteristics ? And don't you think both shock absorbers would wear more or less evenly(because they work together)? I have a feeling that I might see the other shock absorber being changed within the next two visits to A.S.S.(for regular servicing) .
For sure if you say so, they will change all 4 for you.

But you said that one had developed a leakage - which is a necessary condition for change. That's definitely not normal wear and tear.

If the others are working fine , then no need to change those yet.

One thing you can do to check if the others are working fine, is to apply pressure with both hands on each corner in turn until you can feel that corner going down. Once you release the pressure, does the corner oscillate up and down? If not - you are fine. If yes, then you are right - you are in need of new shockers - but my guess is that the service technician may already have carried out this check.

Other check you can do is to park the Innova on a flat surface - such as a cemented area, and then from about 5-6 feet away observe if the front or rear bumper is parallel to the ground. If so, you are fine, if not , you may need to get it looked at.

Hope this helps! Cheers!
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 16:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Go through this :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tion-mode.html (Outside air entering cabin even with a/c in recirculation mode.)
I did go through this earlier, but i do not think the problem lies in any of the solutions mentioned therein as they all have been checked. But thanks anyway!
an_and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 18:44   #25
BHPian

Default Re: Update at 82,500 Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
The car odo reads 82520 Kms today.
The best quality product I have ever used. Reliable to a CAPITAL R. Quality to a CAPITAL Q.

Rattles; what’s that?
Breakdowns; Are you kidding?
Service Cost; Very reasonable, working out cheaper than my Swift VDi.
Mileage; 13-14 kmpl with full AC.

My Innova (2005) has finished 110K.

My experience with it has been the same! Very low maintenance, cheaper than even small car like Zen Estilo. Very good ASS by Nandi Toyota.

After 8+ years, not a squeak, rattle or any type of misbehaving. I had to change the supension/absorber though. The car has been doing the Shiradi Ghat in its worst for 8yrs. I am not surprised that it needed change! :(

Other than that only regular, specified maintenance.

Have never owned a better Quality & Value for money product. Seems good for another 3-4years! Phew!

Nandi Toyota Folks tried to convince me to Upgrade to Fortuner. I took a ride and was convinced I am better off with Innova, and there was no point in exchanging this for another Innova! So, I guess I'll keep this running till it complains, or I really get bored of it.
hkollar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 12:19   #26
BHPian

Can you guys tell me which tires you are using now on your Innova and what have you used in the past ? Mine's are due for a change and I went through the other thread "Tyres for my Innova". A friend of mine uses the C.Drive by Yokohama which seems to perform well, but since this is a long term ownership thread I believe that long term experiences would help me a bit.
Thanks.
Old 16th February 2014, 18:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Can you guys tell me which tires you are using now on your Innova and what have you used in the past ? Mine's are due for a change and I went through the other thread "Tyres for my Innova". A friend of mine uses the C.Drive by Yokohama which seems to perform well, but since this is a long term ownership thread I believe that long term experiences would help me a bit.

Thanks.

The best is off course silicon based Yokohama or Michelin, which has higher life due to silicon in its compound, better shock absorption and even superior mileage as the rolling resistance is lower.

As I am told, best life of generic compound tyres is for 3-4 yrs, this revelation has come when I see minor cracks appearing in my 2011 tyre, and I started inquiring about it

so if you can wear it out in this time it is good else you may Need to change it soon nevertheless

My running is around 12k a year, so I still have lot of rubber left but the cracks have surfaced resulting in gradual pressure release, and forced me to put a tube inside

My next change is probably going to be the cheapest, which is Goodyear
Anupam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 19:42   #28
BHPian

I run 20 to 22 k an year. The car came with Goodyear GT3 s and served well till 47 k kms. I could have a easily stretch it for another 10 K kms. But I change tyres every 50 k kms. It was good tyres. I changed to Hankook Optimo ME O2. One of the best tyres I have used. Softer and holds well than the GT3s. I strongly recommend this tyre.
Silver Knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 13:29   #29
BHPian

My Innova clocked 69k kms. Got a new set of tyres - Yokohama Earth1s. So far im impressed with the ride quality & lower road noise. Much better than the stock Bridgestone B390s.
P.S. : I love the silence of this thread. It explains how reliable & hasslefree the Innova is.
Old 25th June 2014, 00:53   #30
BHPian

The car has crossed 89k mark. Nothing much to write. Works like any modern day refrigerator
Hit a wall while reversing and broke a rear light. Replaced it with a non oe marketed by Hella (they come in Hella packing , and got it thru company official. I am sure they outsource the manufacturing of these lights)
Hankooks are fantastic will easily last till 1 lakh kms.
Silver Knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote