Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2018, 06:55   #211
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 384
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

98000kms and some change. Maybe there were signs of impending failure that my sister did not read but it happened. At the very least have the assembly checked at an authorised service center
53BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 21:57   #212
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 17
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Dear road4x4 traveler,

I would strongly suggest you change the timing assembly. My sisters 2010 SFX timing chain ate itself up and i can assure you that it was not pretty. The entire genuine assembly with guides cost 20k officially from Mitsubishi. Buy it and put it or have them put it. Do not be tempted to put aftermarket assemblies from Palika Bhavan or Opera House. They don't work,
Thanks 53BHP. Yes, the price quoted by mitsubishi guys is around 20-25K. Also, i was advised by them not to purchase aftermarket set. But they have also told that it is not very easy to check the condition of the timing chain without opening it up, i don't know how traveler got it checked.

But anyways will keep the advice in mind.
Road4X4Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:46   #213
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 292
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road4X4Traveler View Post
Thanks 53BHP. Yes, the price quoted by mitsubishi guys is around 20-25K. Also, i was advised by them not to purchase aftermarket set. But they have also told that it is not very easy to check the condition of the timing chain without opening it up, i don't know how traveler got it checked.

But anyways will keep the advice in mind.
What the dealer has told you is correct. After market chains are not reliable and there is no easy way to check the timing chain. In fact the official way to check the timing chain is to check its length by completely removing it. There is a specified length till which the chain remains within service limit. Once it elongates beyond that its time to change as it can cause poor power, smoke and reduced mileage. In worse scenarios it can jump off the sprocket and cause major issues like a broken camshaft and/or bent engine valves.

An elongated timing belt will most definitely start to make a chaff chaff noise as well. This happens as the belt rubs against the timing belt guides due to the slack. The timing belt tensioner cannot cope up with the loose chain as it would have elongated beyond the tensioner limit. This is the only sign of a timing belt needing a replacement. Listen to your engine idle. It should not have a noise that sounds like something is rubbing. This comes from the front top part of the engine block towards the radiator and just behind the fan.

Alao remember that if you have not really kept up with regular oil changes or are unsure of how the engine was maintained, then it is better to go ahead and change the timing chain. Although the chain is designed for the life if the engine it's useful life may have come down due to factors like maintenance and other abuse if any.

If you are in doubt it is better to get it replaced.
Traveler is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:23   #214
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 292
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Adding an external link to the UK Pajero Forum. This will shed more light on what we are discussing. MODS please remove the link if it is not OK to post like this.

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopi...b3c565bc350185
Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:30   #215
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 30
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Adding an external link to the UK Pajero Forum. This will shed more light on what we are discussing. MODS please remove the link if it is not OK to post like this.

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopi...b3c565bc350185
Kudos to to you for maintaining your "Dark Horse" in such a impeccable condition and going above and beyond the required maintenance.
I have been on the lookout for a 2010-2011 Pajero SFX to no avail. Most people bash their vehicles no end. I did TD many in the used car scene but wasn't satisfied with any.
I love my vehicle and hate to let them go as I spend my time and money as well as take care of any rattle or chu-chu sounds and am careful while driving.

If you decide to part ways with this one do drop me a message ill be happy to take it off your hands.
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 18:11   #216
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 292
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Kudos to to you for maintaining your "Dark Horse" in such a impeccable condition and going above and beyond the required maintenance.
I have been on the lookout for a 2010-2011 Pajero SFX to no avail. Most people bash their vehicles no end. I did TD many in the used car scene but wasn't satisfied with any.
I love my vehicle and hate to let them go as I spend my time and money as well as take care of any rattle or chu-chu sounds and am careful while driving.

If you decide to part ways with this one do drop me a message ill be happy to take it off your hands.
Thanks Mudcat, I will definitely let you know if and when that day arrives.

The challenge is what do I replace the Pajero with. I still don't see a vehicle as capable and reliable in the market. Even the two biggies the TFort and the Endy have their own issues and both cost a bomb in their 4x4 manual avatars.

Plus the electronics in all modern cars are way less reliable and way more expensive to fix. The Pajero is a simple vehicle just change the Engine oil every 5K and it goes on without complaining.
Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 23:06   #217
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 17
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

If you are in doubt it is better to get it replaced.
Hi Traveler,

Thanks. You have always been my guide in the past also. But i think you don't remember it. When you used to be at gurgaon, I asked about the servicing issues through this thread and you elaborately provided the detailed pajero servicing guide. You even provided the telephone no. of the mechanic. To this date i go by that advice only and am very happy with the results. Therefore I have taken the liberty to ask you more.
Road4X4Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 08:36   #218
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 292
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road4X4Traveler View Post
Hi Traveler,

Thanks. You have always been my guide in the past also. But i think you don't remember it. When you used to be at gurgaon, I asked about the servicing issues through this thread and you elaborately provided the detailed pajero servicing guide. You even provided the telephone no. of the mechanic. To this date i go by that advice only and am very happy with the results. Therefore I have taken the liberty to ask you more.
You are welcome and I do remember our discussions from earlier. Wishing you a safe and comfortable drive always. I will be happy to answer your queries so keep them coming.
Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 23:08   #219
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 292
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

I reached the 1 Lac milestone today. Here is how the car looks like after 6 years and 11 months @ 1,00,000 Kilometers.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home-1521740281425.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home-1521740308065.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home-1521740324349.jpg  

Traveler is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:10   #220
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 151
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I reached the 1 Lac milestone today. Here is how the car looks like after 6 years and 11 months @ 1,00,000 Kilometers.
Congrats for hitting the milestone. Now get those bumpers painted and some detailing done to celebrate the moment of togetherness. Wishing you many many happy miles with the dark horse.
Akib Khan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2018, 14:04   #221
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 338
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

The vehicle looks in mint condition even after a lakh kilometer. How is the Dark Horse behaving now? Any update on the service and any issues? Have you upgraded the bulbs now or are they still on the stock bulb setup? Do post on the service updates.
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2018, 14:43   #222
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 292
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
The vehicle looks in mint condition even after a lakh kilometer. How is the Dark Horse behaving now? Any update on the service and any issues? Have you upgraded the bulbs now or are they still on the stock bulb setup? Do post on the service updates.
Thanks, it has been a great run so far. Everything works as it is supposed to. The new suspension with imported Poly bushes and new shock absorbers have really changed the ride quality. It is now much more smooth and planted and the Brembo brake discs and pads have a great bite and stopping power. Steering is super smooth too. The vehicle has just done about 2k since the overhaul and no issues so far. The new clutch is also good with the low speed vibrations gone completely.

Had a few teething issues post the overhaul which i sorted out myself. Nothing major just some fine adjustments to the ride height and wheel alignment.

I haven't upgraded the lights and frankly never felt the need too. It is running on stock setup. I did change the bulbs to Philips a couple of years back as the old ones were getting dim with time. The bulbs are the stock specification which is 50/60 watt I guess.

I did get a new sound system installed as I missed having a Bluetooth in the OEM stereo. Got a Pioneer HU and Speakers installed recently. Also got a solar Tyre pressure monitoring system and installed it myself. It is a useful thing and this one is completely wireless and pretty accurate.



Changed the dashcam from the GoPro that was installed till now and replaced it with a unit I bought from Aliexpress. I guess the model is Viofo A119. It has GPS as well so it tracks the speed and the route as well. All in all a value for money product.



Have a 1200 kms trip planned this month and that will be a good running in exercise for the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home-1525338795033.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home-1525338818553.jpg  

Traveler is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2018, 15:15   #223
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 338
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Changed the dashcam from the GoPro that was installed till now and replaced it with a unit I bought from Aliexpress. I guess the model is Viofo A119. It has GPS as well so it tracks the speed and the route as well. All in all a value for money product.
It looks like the dashcam has SD card storage available from the picture shared by you. How useful has this been you?
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2018, 17:33   #224
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 292
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Only yesterday we witnessed and recorded an accident. It was a close shave for us. I would say having a dash cam is a must nowadays.
Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 16:44   #225
BHPian
 
jaisha8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Trichur, Kerala
Posts: 364
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Wow!!! Simply Wow Traveler. I bought a used Pajero SFX 2009 model only this month and was paranoid and curious to know if I have not bought a wrong buy.
But now after reading through your entire thread from Page 1 to 15, even the smallest of my doubts have been cleared and Pajero is really a great car. I have still 6 years before the re-registration.
Really want to thank you for the detailed review on every aspect of this car and the recent complete overhaul was the highlight of this entire thread.
I apologize for hijacking your thread and posting a few photos of my Pajero (also a well maintained one from the previous owner).
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home-img20180430wa0020.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home-img20180430wa0006.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home-img20180430wa0014.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home-img20180516wa0021.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home-img20180430wa0013.jpg  

jaisha8 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Dark Horse: Maruti Ertiga ZDi. 9000 kms in 3 months & counting Caadmara Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 5th July 2015 02:18
Indian Roadmaster and Chief Dark Horse launched in India Tushar Superbikes & Imports 2 8th May 2015 12:31
Vento -- My Horse of Battle, Horse of Ballet! msprabhakar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 10 6th December 2010 09:06
My New Dark Horse - City 09 (with Unique Styling) oops Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 6th October 2009 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks