Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 01:01   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 59
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

@traveler : excellent choice. The 4M40 engine on the pajero is virtually bulletproof and will clock at least 400,000 kms without a rebuild if taken care of.

I suggest you start using Motul X-cess, which should be available at the dealership itself after the 2nd service.
(Not sure if the company still uses the 10W30 mineral oil mitsubishi used)

The best way to secure your pajero is to buy a GPS module and to install it in an inaccessible area -- eg: underneath the centre console on the floor. Also purchase a steering lock in case you plan to leave your car unattended for long.
thermalpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 02:19   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 59
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
There is a Newspaper advt. clearly stating that the Pajero is now available in BS-IV & hence can be registered in Metros. I am herewith attaching a scan. There is obviously more to the Pajero than meets the eye !!

As Aroy has pointed out as well. As for the dealers, they always said the BS-4 version was on it's way, but they were unsure as to what would be done to make it complaint.

I saw a couple of BS-4 compliant Pajeros at J Williams (MASS at pune).

I reckon that the new engine might be a common rail direct injection version of the 4M40 engine, just like what Mitsu did with the 4D56 for the UK market for the Triton trucks.

OR they might have introduced the 4M41 engine?
thermalpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 08:18   #63
BHPian
 
Prozac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Traveler - I totally enjoyed reading your story. I drive a lovingly looked after '99 Mitsubishi Lancer diesel and have clocked over 170,000 km on it. It still runs good as new. I'm sure you will enjoy your Pajero for many years to come, these vehicles are build to last indeed!
Prozac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 09:32   #64
BHPian
 
Janjua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 124
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Hello Traveler.

Congratulations on a great buy. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Well, I read that you are looking to get a GPS tracker installed in your Pajero.
I recently got the MapMyIndia VT-1 tracker installed in my vehicle. It cost me around 15,000 Rupees + a GPRS activated SIM card.
It is working rather well for me. I get sms updates everytime my vehicle is out of the marked zone and also one can track the vehicle in real-time on the mobile phone or on the computer.
The installation took about half an hour and no one can tell whether such a system is installed or not as the whole thing is hidden under the dashboard. I am quite satisfied with the whole setup. You might want to take a look at it too.

Happy Motoring,
Sandeep.
Janjua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 09:46   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

The thing I learnt from this thread
"Everything that people tell you about the FORTUNER and PAJERO is wrong"

Congradulations on the PAJERO. Its a vehicle that has attained perfection, hence I think MITSUBISHI have stopped its evolution.

Having said that, in this day and age, you sure have guts to plonk so much money on the PAJERO, I would have gone for a second hand one

There is a PAJERO story that stuck with me:
A friend who was a DSA for a Bank arranged an auto loan for a trusted customer who bought a PAJERO, the customer drove the PAJERO for a month and then parked it at home saying that he had bought the wrong vehicle blah blah. The DSA finally found a buyer for him, after 8 months of it being idle and then it went for 11 lakhs.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not pulling you down or discouraging you, just my comments and point of view. The PAJERO is a brilliant vehicle no doubt, but not at that price. People say the same thing about the THAR too and so many other vehicles

Fifteen years ago we had these two Sri Lankan who studied in our class, one bloke was a huge fan of the PAJERO and it was from him that I knew a vehicle called PAJERO lasted

The contrast colours are also a big hit. See so many SCORPIOs and SAFARIs trying to ape the colouring scheme. I'm also thinking, if my bonnet or doors rust or if there is an accident vehicle lying around, I'll go and get myself some white doors

I have a SAFARI and this has reinforced my faith in the SAFARI, I'll still admire the PAJERO standing afar
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 15:41   #66
BHPian
 
shridhar.s.i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 205
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Congrats Traveler on the new purchaseand i like the color very much (not many potions from mitsubishi in this department though),
I had been seeing this thread as a hot topic for a couple of weeks now but always used to forget to check it out, today read the whole review
A very practical decision indeed and trust me (No offense to Fortuner owners) but in the field tests shown on TV, the Old School pajero has still beaten Fortuner by a close margin and yes this is a vehicle which can stare at the eyes of the newbie 4X4's and say "Who's the Daddy"
I do hear comments from people stating it is not satisfactory etc.etc. but the question is simple..if you like it then follow your heart as each individual is different and so are their needs and likings

And yes, do you plan on any addons like Additional pair of Halogens / ICE..

Keep us posted
Cheers
shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 15:46   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,846
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Nice to see the Pajero admirers tribe growing by the day !! Interesting to note that a lot of people have realized the less complicated the engine management the better it is in terms of reliability & fix it anywhere ability !

Kudos to the Pajero tribe !!




Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 16:31   #68
BHPian
 
krdeshmukh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 46
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Hi there!
Indeed a great choice, look forward for your views on the Indian true blue SUV the Safari and the big daddy pajero, as you are a proud owner of both. also some comments from you on the maintenance cost for a Pajero would help me make a decision.
cheers
kd
krdeshmukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 16:40   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 220
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
That's great. How do you like the new tires compared to the stock ones? What Size? 12k over stock MRFs looks like a good price. Some pics please.
The Yokos look good, had gone out on a small trip over the weekend and found the grip levels, braking and comfort all above par. I have the stock size 265/70 R15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
Does Pajero has lock for the fuel filler cap???

If yes does the lock uses the same key to open the doors and ignition???

If all are yes please get the lock of the fuel filler cap changed ASAP so that the key for it is different from the other single key. I had heard somewhere that the thieves steal the fuel filler cap, and make a key from its lock, and that key is used at a later date to steal it.

Hope this helps, and wish you a many happy miles on your beloved beast.
The fuel cap is the push to shut type. No locks on it. It is opened through a flap under the steering wheel on the dashboard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Does the Pajero still come with BS-III engine, or have they managed to get BS-IV in it? Till date the dealers in Delhi claim it is still BS-III, hence can not be registered in Metros.
When I was finalizing the Pajero, I called the Delhi dealers too. They had a BS IV version already in stock. However it was almost 70-80K expensive than the BS III version.

The dealer told me that the power output has been reduced to 92 PS and it can be registered in Delhi. Although the Road Tax and Diesel Surcharge would need to be paid which was quite high.

I guess they have re-tuned the same engine to comply with the emission norms. I never considered the BS IV version due to lesser power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What is the warranty on Pajero? And what are the service intervals.
I read somewhere that Mitsubishi offers 1 year warranty max with no extended options.
One year standard warranty, I bought one year extended warranty for 11 K. Service intervals are 1K and then every 10K. Although in dusty conditions they recommend 7.5K.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 17:06   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 220
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Hi traveler

congrats on your buy , from the pictures I assume you have bough this from Mohali Dealer - my personal experiences with HM dealers has not been good , the dealer in Gurgaon used spurious parts . I used Mohali dealer once - they did tried to impress by words but service was OK - the left pulling in the car was never sorted and they still have 2 kind of spares - One Made in Japan and Second Made in India for many consumables like Brake Pads . I will advise you to be there at time of servicing - just as we used to do 15 years back with Ambys ... get everything done in your front after checking all parts .

Two Small things - Get yourself a rear & front guards repairs are very expensive + did you checked Michelin A/T ? they are expensive but wonderful both on & off road.
Thanks Turbaanotor , I bought it from Kosmo Motors Mohali and yes I will definitely get it serviced in my presence. Thanks for the heads up on the spare parts and the Guards.

Any clue where I can get the guards. Do PM me the details in case you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Traveler, firstly thank you for a honest review.

Congratulations on the Pajero acquisition. It is a beaut of a car to own! I really like the Pajero's road presence and the respect it commands on the road. As some body said already, it is something you buy and keep it for ever!

Happy Motoring!
Thanks, and yes growing old with one vehicle was the idea this time. I wanted to get out of the change / upgrade routine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
Congrats,
Excellent all rounder SUV.
Always a fan of Mighty Pajero specially the boxy look.

Thanks Raosaheb. I also like the side profile , it sure looks very solid with those boxy bulges on the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@Traveler
Congratulations on the Pajero and welcome to 'club Mitsubishi'.

@Aroy
The Pajero still comes with the BSIII engine. The last I heard from the Mitsubishi sales team was that the new Pajero Sports was to be launched sometimes towards end of 2010 / early 2011 with a new front facia (somewhat like their Range model) and additional features including a new BSIV engine. The homologation procedures were in the process. The news now is that encouraged by the sales of the outlander et all, they are now considering an updated model based on the Shogun with the new DOHC Crde engine and all new interiors + features etc. and hence the delay. The current model will continue to be offered in non metro markets where BSIII engine equipped vehicles are allowed to be registered.
Thanks Khoj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
@ Dicky - Thanks I did mean - do not..

@ Traveler and other Pajero owners - A 'heads up' on driving through puddles.. go slow..... as the Pajero has a tendency to spray the water inwards so that it comes on the windscreen and if you are at some speed, it is indeed disconcerting to have the vision blocked with water all over. This is a known problem with Pajeros worldwide.. have a look at the 'Pocuk' website

I am planning to get some extended wheel arch flares put and see if that can resolve this.

cheers
Great Tip, thanks a lot, I noticed this on the Safari as well and was quite flustered the first time it happened. Will be careful of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k_kumar View Post
I own both the Fortuner n the Pajero and can vouch for the Pajero anytime
Engine Power is "not the all end all" in a SUV ...Ride and Handling is very important. Fortuner cannot be called a SUV as it is based on the HILUX pick up truck. whereas Pajero is a tried and tested design. more of the same you will realise when you have both of these for your perusal.

Congrats on buying the MITSUBISHI PAJERO !!!!!!

Thanks Vijay, that was one of the criteria I had when choosing. Was the vehicle a ground up SUV or a modified vehicle. As soon as you step into the Pajero you realize it was made for this purpose. The ride, steering, small things like tow hooks, luggage hooks, Inspection Light, Tool Box etc all speak volumes of it's lineage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalpaste View Post
@traveler : excellent choice. The 4M40 engine on the pajero is virtually bulletproof and will clock at least 400,000 kms without a rebuild if taken care of.

I suggest you start using Motul X-cess, which should be available at the dealership itself after the 2nd service.
(Not sure if the company still uses the 10W30 mineral oil mitsubishi used)

The best way to secure your pajero is to buy a GPS module and to install it in an inaccessible area -- eg: underneath the centre console on the floor. Also purchase a steering lock in case you plan to leave your car unattended for long.
Thanks for the Engine Oil tip, will talk to the dealer and see if he stocks this brand. Also will evaluate the GPS module, looks like that might be the only option to secure the Pajero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac View Post
Traveler - I totally enjoyed reading your story. I drive a lovingly looked after '99 Mitsubishi Lancer diesel and have clocked over 170,000 km on it. It still runs good as new. I'm sure you will enjoy your Pajero for many years to come, these vehicles are build to last indeed!
Thanks Prozac, I definitely intend to keep this vehicle for a long time. It is reassuring to know that the engines last pretty long. I got this feedback from local people and also mechanics. Everyone seems to be impressed with their "keep going on" nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Hello Traveler.

Congratulations on a great buy. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Well, I read that you are looking to get a GPS tracker installed in your Pajero.
I recently got the MapMyIndia VT-1 tracker installed in my vehicle. It cost me around 15,000 Rupees + a GPRS activated SIM card.
It is working rather well for me. I get sms updates everytime my vehicle is out of the marked zone and also one can track the vehicle in real-time on the mobile phone or on the computer.
The installation took about half an hour and no one can tell whether such a system is installed or not as the whole thing is hidden under the dashboard. I am quite satisfied with the whole setup. You might want to take a look at it too.

Happy Motoring,
Sandeep.
Thanks Janjua, will definitely look at the MapMyIndia tracker, sure does look interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The thing I learnt from this thread
"Everything that people tell you about the FORTUNER and PAJERO is wrong"

Congradulations on the PAJERO. Its a vehicle that has attained perfection, hence I think MITSUBISHI have stopped its evolution.

Having said that, in this day and age, you sure have guts to plonk so much money on the PAJERO, I would have gone for a second hand one

There is a PAJERO story that stuck with me:
A friend who was a DSA for a Bank arranged an auto loan for a trusted customer who bought a PAJERO, the customer drove the PAJERO for a month and then parked it at home saying that he had bought the wrong vehicle blah blah. The DSA finally found a buyer for him, after 8 months of it being idle and then it went for 11 lakhs.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not pulling you down or discouraging you, just my comments and point of view. The PAJERO is a brilliant vehicle no doubt, but not at that price. People say the same thing about the THAR too and so many other vehicles

Fifteen years ago we had these two Sri Lankan who studied in our class, one bloke was a huge fan of the PAJERO and it was from him that I knew a vehicle called PAJERO lasted

The contrast colours are also a big hit. See so many SCORPIOs and SAFARIs trying to ape the colouring scheme. I'm also thinking, if my bonnet or doors rust or if there is an accident vehicle lying around, I'll go and get myself some white doors

I have a SAFARI and this has reinforced my faith in the SAFARI, I'll still admire the PAJERO standing afar
Thanks Arun, I agree it could have priced more reasonably. But on the other hand there is hardly anything you can fault with the Pajero. It is in my opinion the only true blue SUV available to us and I guess Mitsubishi knows that. I have looked at the sales figures for the Pajero for quite some time and it still averages around 150 Units per month. Something must be right somehere.

Now having said that, I must add that the Safari is also a very capable vehicle and in the two years of my ownership it never let me down even once. Agreed it has it own shares of issues but most are related to maintenance and how you drive it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Congrats Traveler on the new purchaseand i like the color very much (not many potions from mitsubishi in this department though),
I had been seeing this thread as a hot topic for a couple of weeks now but always used to forget to check it out, today read the whole review
A very practical decision indeed and trust me (No offense to Fortuner owners) but in the field tests shown on TV, the Old School pajero has still beaten Fortuner by a close margin and yes this is a vehicle which can stare at the eyes of the newbie 4X4's and say "Who's the Daddy"
I do hear comments from people stating it is not satisfactory etc.etc. but the question is simple..if you like it then follow your heart as each individual is different and so are their needs and likings

And yes, do you plan on any addons like Additional pair of Halogens / ICE..

Keep us posted
Cheers
Thanks Sridhar, that was the idea. Get an uncomplicated no nonsense vehicle with no inhibitions. After having driven it over the weekend with 4 Adults and 3 kids over mountain roads I must say that Pajero is in no way underpowered.

In-fact it was able to take on the same tracks that I used to go with my Safari with much more aplomb and confidence. The way the vehicle eases itself out with full load and a steep incline is amazing. The Safari used to struggle and sometimes you could smell the clutch. With the Pajero, it is simple, slot in the gear and drive off like any other day. It just pulls out cleanly.

I have not yet decided whether I need another pair of halogens, although a good security system is definitely on priority. Will post the updates soon.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 21:34   #71
BHPian
 
M00M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 330
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

@Traveller: Congratulations on the Mitsubishi Pajero. Great choice. I sometimes ponder if HM Mitsu would spruce it up a bit for India price it against the 15 lac bracket and i'm sure even the Scorpio would get a run for its money. Having said that whats the power difference between BS3 and BS4 versions ? Is there a big drastic performance difference ? Also how is it fuel efficiency and performance wise ?

Overall wish you a great trouble free ownership.
M00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 14:08   #72
BHPian
 
designersf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 602
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Short, unbiased, realistic and 'to the point' review. Amazing one Traveler. Just get one of those foolproof security systems as there have been an alarming number of stolen Pajeros!

I believe this Pajero is made in India, then why is it so expensive?
designersf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 21:23   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,846
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Short, unbiased, realistic and 'to the point' review. Amazing one Traveler. Just get one of those foolproof security systems as there have been an alarming number of stolen Pajeros!

I believe this Pajero is made in India, then why is it so expensive?


Everyone & his distant cousin wants to be seen in a Pajero AND it is a go-anywhere vehicle in the true sense of the word.

Unfortunately there are few security options, even the remote that comes with the Pajero is not going to immobilize it - just lock it

I have been in touch with the AUTOCOP office in Gurgaon, they are scared to touch a Pajero, simply because they do not have the requisite equipment to do the gear-lock fitment

Sad but true !! But I am on their necks let me see if I can badger them into submission



Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 07:32   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 220
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Everyone & his distant cousin wants to be seen in a Pajero AND it is a go-anywhere vehicle in the true sense of the word.

Unfortunately there are few security options, even the remote that comes with the Pajero is not going to immobilize it - just lock it

I have been in touch with the AUTOCOP office in Gurgaon, they are scared to touch a Pajero, simply because they do not have the requisite equipment to do the gear-lock fitment

Sad but true !! But I am on their necks let me see if I can badger them into submission



Cheers

I have asked all reputed manufacturers and none of them have a Gear Shift Lock for the Pajero. The problem is that they do not have the mounting plate for a Pajero. Guess they never designed one for it. Best of luck for your efforts with Autocop, let me know if I can help in any way.

Alternatively I looked at alternatives and one of them is a 4 hook Steering lock. Your comments on this would be welcome.
Products - 4 Hook Design - 263DAT - Master Lock®

This is available here for approximately 3K, do you think it is worth it.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 10:02   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,846
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero: The Dark Horse comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I have asked all reputed manufacturers and none of them have a Gear Shift Lock for the Pajero. The problem is that they do not have the mounting plate for a Pajero. Guess they never designed one for it. Best of luck for your efforts with Autocop, let me know if I can help in any way.

Alternatively I looked at alternatives and one of them is a 4 hook Steering lock. Your comments on this would be welcome.
Products - 4 Hook Design - 263DAT - Master Lock®

This is available here for approximately 3K, do you think it is worth it.

This rod like steering lock used to be available at most accessory stores around the 80's when Maruti 800 was launched. I think this should be effective, do not see why not. Visually deterrent for sure & I am sure if it is tampered steel (which it must be) it would not be easy to saw off.

As for the Autocop gear shift lock. I had one in my Scorpio in 2004, it was definately an effective deterrent. Let me see if the Autocop guys respond positively. Will certainly keep you posted.


Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Dark Horse: Maruti Ertiga ZDi. 9000 kms in 3 months & counting Caadmara Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 5th July 2015 02:18
Indian Roadmaster and Chief Dark Horse launched in India Tushar Superbikes & Imports 2 8th May 2015 12:31
Vento -- My Horse of Battle, Horse of Ballet! msprabhakar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 10 6th December 2010 09:06
My New Dark Horse - City 09 (with Unique Styling) oops Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 6th October 2009 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:39.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks