Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 21st April 2011, 22:33   #1

Default Used 2008 Honda Accord MT 2.4i-VTEC

All:

I was offered a 2008 Honda Accord with about 7,000km by someone who is well known to me. The asking price is around 13lakhs and I think there will be some room to negotiate. The car is in excellent condition and is a single-owner car and was used very sparingly by the owner's company as one of the cars in a fleet of 4 cars to pick up VIP guests etc.

I drove the car and it seemed to drive very well - responsive steering, good gearshift, fantastic A/C, good brakes etc. It also seemed to have no scratches and any other visible signs of wear/tear and I know the seller pretty well. The wheels are in great condition and it has comprehensive insurance cover and it seems like a great deal. I have the service history of the car and it looks fine to me - serviced at the same place (Sundaram Honda Chennai) regularly.

I was wondering whether anybody on the forum here had any ideas about this and also whether I need to check anything else. Your views/advise will be very welcome as always.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,
SR
sraghunath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Used 2008 Honda Accord MT 2.4i-VTEC

You have checked most of the things and price is also fine IMO. Just make sure if the car has no accident history. It is a three year old model and driven very less, so deal is pretty OK.
Check out this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India)
This should cover all your doubts and queries.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 01:04   #3
dot
Senior - BHPian

Service history and insurance claims are the most important things to check. Since that is cleared, I would still suggest to take the car to the service station and get a report, specially on the wear and tear parts. Since it is MT, better to get an opinion on the condition of the clutch. I am sure that you have checked Accord threads here which will probably point to things specific to this car. The price seems to be a bit on the higher side though. All the best and hope this helps.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 04:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

7000 kms is too low a mileage for a 3 year old car.

Check the service records for not only services/kms run but also services/6 months or 1 year. As most fluids lose their viscosity in time.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 06:14   #5
BHPian

Is it the VTi-L or Inspire variant? Prices vary to a very good extent depending on the variant.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 16:12   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sraghunath, is this the current gen Accord or the older shape? If it's the current generation, 13L is a decent price considering the low mileage. But if it's the old shape, I wouldn't pay 13L for it. You can even get pristine previous-gen V6s for 10L (as fellow BHPian Akshay1234 did).

This breed of Japanese cars are known to serve without complaint for 10 - 15 years and / or 200,000 - 300,000 kms. Be sure to go through all the precautionary measures from this article (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India) and you will be safe.

Don't worry about the low mileage; some cars are just driven very less. When I got my pre-worshipped Civic, she only had 7,400 kms on the odo. And PUC slips / service history to back the odometer reading up.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 16:43   #7

All

Thank you so much for your replies. I've got the car checked by my mechanic (a guy we've used for over 20 years) and also checked the service history. It also has another year left on its extended four-year (2+2) warranty.

The low-mileage is due to the fact that it was a Company car within a larger fleet and only used very sparingly. I've also seen the service records and insurance history including the last three years no-claims history.

Clutch seemed okay to me and my mechanic but no way of telling for sure. On the shape, its the new shape but I have no idea whether its Inspire or whatever - what's the difference??

Once again, thank you all - all points the other threads referenced are very useful and informative. When I put in the details into some of the online used-car websites for possible prices, I was getting a price of between 14.5-15.5L for this car. So 13L seems okay on the face of it. I'm asking a few other local folks too.

Regards,
SR
sraghunath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

I think its a fair enough deal. If your buying it in Delhi you can negotiate the price down a slight bit more. Check out the service records and see when the last service was and what all was done. I suggest you change the engine oil (switch to synthetic if possible) and just do a check up at the Honda Service Centre and not your mechanic, at least till the car is in warranty.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 10:24   #9
BHPian

@ SR

Have you purchased the car?, if not please let me know the contact details (if you are not intrested)

cheers,

Makesh
Makesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 11:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

You are staying in Delhi and are looking at a Chennai vehicle. Strange - TN registeration in Delhi is bound to have checks at every check post & state barrier ( UP, HR, RJ & DL )

As GTO mentioned I have a feeling this is not the new generation Accord - if it is then it is a good deal BUT otherwise you can find plenty of Accords at 7 - 9 lacs done only 25k or so.

V6's are also plenty in the used market - downside being mileage.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 15:04   #11
BHPian

I own a 2008 current generation Accord(MT, beige color). UP 14 number from Ghaziabad. Done only 5900 kms. Anyone interested? Scratch less, next to showroom piece, guaranteed.
sharad_agl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 15:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

The only decision you got to make when going for the ACCORD is whether you can afford the fuel bills, other than that I think the car is a gem.

The previous shape was excellent, it looked like a tank from the rear three quarters angle. Pity that such a nice car has no resale value here.

Was reading on another thread, the ACCORD alongwith the CAMRY is the top-selling car in USA
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote