Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 24th February 2014, 09:15   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A new car in the budget of 20-30 lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
So thanks to all of you guys and i really appreciate your suggestions and wisdom.
after looking at all the different perspectives the cars that i'm going to consider for test drive are(in order of prefference):-
1. Hyundai Santa Fe
2. Skoda Superb/octavia.
3. Volkswagen Jetta.
4. BMW X1.
Will update about the experiences and final decision.
Out of the choices listed above, for the Santa FE only the top variant is probably worth looking at. The safety equipment is quite basic in the lower variants.
Since you have the X1 mentioned there, I would suggest to add the Audi Q3 S as well. It may effectively have the mechanicals of the Jetta, and miss out on the LEDs but looks to be competent package when compared with the base X1.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 09:16   #257
Senior - BHPian

Since when did choosing a car in the 20-30 lakhs segment become such a tedious task? It is a pretty sweet budget for a car and so I believe choosing one should not be so difficult.

If it is safety you are after, SUVs are inherently less safe than sedans and I only recommend them if someone needs 7 seats or actually goes offroading (softroaders make absolutely no sense to me).
That being said, one SUV that deserves a look is the Pajero Sport and I heard it is coming with an automatic option soon.

The Koleos is another good SUV albeit a softroader

As far as sedans go, the Superb fits your requirements and while an update might be on the cards, does the car itself feel old, I think not.

If you don't mind a lazy americanized car, then please do have a look at the Nissan Teana. I'm sure you can get some good discounts on it too.

The Volkswagen Passat is also a good option if you are bored of the Superb and scared of its next gen version coming up in 2 or so years.

Again if you are being chauffeured around, have a look at the Sonata

Cheers!
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 12:06   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Out of the choices listed above, for the Santa FE only the top variant is probably worth looking at. The safety equipment is quite basic in the lower variants.
Since you have the X1 mentioned there, I would suggest to add the Audi Q3 S as well. It may effectively have the mechanicals of the Jetta, and miss out on the LEDs but looks to be competent package when compared with the base X1.
Yes i agree but it does not have an auto box which is a major requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Since when did choosing a car in the 20-30 lakhs segment become such a tedious task? It is a pretty sweet budget for a car and so I believe choosing one should not be so difficult.

If it is safety you are after, SUVs are inherently less safe than sedans and I only recommend them if someone needs 7 seats or actually goes offroading (softroaders make absolutely no sense to me).
That being said, one SUV that deserves a look is the Pajero Sport and I heard it is coming with an automatic option soon.

The Koleos is another good SUV albeit a softroader

As far as sedans go, the Superb fits your requirements and while an update might be on the cards, does the car itself feel old, I think not.

If you don't mind a lazy americanized car, then please do have a look at the Nissan Teana. I'm sure you can get some good discounts on it too.

The Volkswagen Passat is also a good option if you are bored of the Superb and scared of its next gen version coming up in 2 or so years.

Again if you are being chauffeured around, have a look at the Sonata

Cheers!
Passat has been sadly discontinued would have been a no brainer if available.

Teana has scary fuel efficiency still called one or two dealer none of them have it in stock , no test drive etc and hoover-nissan spat is not very confidence inspiring.( typical answer is " sir why don't you look at sunny it has scheme on it")

Koleos facelift ruined it for me , earlier one looked awesome from the front , the new one looks hideous.

Pajero sport automatic will be launched after september ( company source )

car will be self driven so left out sonata.

I totally agree with you on superb and it the strongest contender after santa fe on my list
fuelinmyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 15:13   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins
after looking at all the different perspectives the cars that i'm going to consider for test drive are(in order of prefference):-

1. Hyundai Santa Fe
2. Skoda Superb/octavia.
3. Volkswagen Jetta.
4. BMW X1.
My 2 cents. Add the 4x2 Fortuner AT to the list. It suits your requirements to a T and I really don't see how lack of 4x4 is going to affect you one bit on the highway. More importantly Toyota reliability and excellent service standards will ensure piece of mind. If memory serves right there is not a single unhappy Fortuner owner on the forums.

Audi Q3S and Nissan Xtrail can also be considered as some others have suggested.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 15:25   #260
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

Funny (and scary) how every suggestion in this segment comes and stops at Skoda Superb. The car has literally shaken up the D2 segment. Its become more of an equation. 25-30 lacs budget? Buy the Superb!

There are so many threads, where invariably one ends up suggesting the Superb.
So, my suggestion remains the same . Get the Superb, if you want to seat 4 in luxury (note, I didnt say comfort!).

Other choice (just cause one cant do without choices), would be what noop has suggested above. The Fortuner is macho, its brute, it goes almost anywhere and has a decent FE on offer. But does your use warranty an SUV?
If not, I'd suggest those crossovers (X-Trail, Yeti et al).
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 16:41   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My 2 cents. Add the 4x2 Fortuner AT to the list. It suits your requirements to a T and I really don't see how lack of 4x4 is going to affect you one bit on the highway. More importantly Toyota reliability and excellent service standards will ensure piece of mind. If memory serves right there is not a single unhappy Fortuner owner on the forums.

Audi Q3S and Nissan Xtrail can also be considered as some others have suggested.
Would the X-Trails discontinuation prove troublesome down the line?
Spare parts etc.?

I second Toyota Fortuner recommendation as well. If you aren't bothered with the utilitarian interiors.
Maky is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 17:05   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Would the X-Trails discontinuation prove troublesome down the line?
Spare parts etc.?
Hot off the presses, that! Missed it. Of course it makes no sense to buy a discontinued product, though the discounts offered may be quite tempting (if they have any left in stock).

How about the Pajero Sport- its AT avatar is due to be launched shortly. I know HM doesn't inspire much confidence but given Mitsubishi's ambitious plans for India, that tie-up could be a thing of the past soon.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 17:44   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The Fortuner will prove to be too bumpy on the long drives and even in city drives. The seating comfort in these SUVs is pathetic compared to what you are paying for them. I see no point in buying an SUV like fortuner when you are not even going to use all 3 rows of seating, leave alone the off road capability of the car.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 20:32   #264
Senior - BHPian

Even I think that Superb is the best buy for your requirement. Fortuner is desirable only if you have to negotiate bad roads and deep puddles. The other options are not all that great and either compromise on comfort or are much more expensive, hence make no sense.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 21:08   #265
Senior - BHPian

Does the Yeti not have an automatic variant? If not then just stick with the Superb (Passat would be nice if the dealers had any in stock)

Unless one is aching after the Toyota reliability, or wants to go off-roading, or is a politician, I don't see why the Fortuner is being recommended so much (no offense meant to anyone) The car has a bumpy ride, cheap looking interiors, plastic that belongs in a C1 segment car at most, pathetic list of safety features for anything above 15 lakhs and no other gizmos either. Am I the only one who sees it this way, Or do butch looks weigh in so much?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th February 2014 at 21:10.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 21:56   #266
BHPian

We are working in the same budget for our next car and have been putting off our buying decision for months now.

Have you considered the B-class? Apart from the slightly MPV like silhouette. You get a Mercedes for CR-V money. Typical European build quality and Benz interiors. Refined engines if not the most powerful coupled with 7 speed automatics that too with paddle shifters. Roomy back seat and a 485L boot. It's a relatively new model in the market so will see a good 4 to 5 years before Mercedes releases an all new model. If power is your concern, remaps are available which increase the output of the petrol motor to a 156ps and about 240Nm of torque while the diesel one to a 180ps!

My pick: the B180 Petrol Sport.
It has 7 airbags, a panoramic sun roof, xenon headlights, 17" wheels on 225/45 R17 tyres amongst other. To me it appeals to both the head and the heart. Extended warranty is on offer too.

Followed by:

1. 2013 BMW 3-Series
2. Honda CR-V
3. Hyundai Santa Fe (4x4)

Have ruled out Skoda because of sub par experience with a dealer in NCR. My parents place no faith in the brand. The Superb will be replaced in 2016. The Octavia ticks all the boxes but the DSG+TSI combination doesn't inspire confidence due to mixed feedback from owners neither does the 2 year warranty.
himanshu_j is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 22:37   #267
BHPian

Rexton is also a pretty nice SUV. Did you consider this one?
cncity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 22:43   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
Have you considered the B-class? Apart from the slightly MPV like silhouette. You get a Mercedes for CR-V money. Roomy back seat and a 485L boot.
I didn't find the B class to be roomy at all. The rear seat is seriously compromised in the leg and under thigh support. Other than that it is a good looking car.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 10:53   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Does the Yeti not have an automatic variant? If not then just stick with the Superb (Passat would be nice if the dealers had any in stock)
Here is some good news - Passat not discontinued!

http://overdrive.in/news/volkswagen-...nued-in-india/
AirWind is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 22:31   #270
BHPian

Thanks to every one for your replies.

Volkswagen Delhi west told that passat has been discontinued may be the statement was a part of stock clearing exercise. No the rexton was not considered , no offense but it's not to my taste and as the car will always be self driven so sonata was also not considered.

Started with the test drives and the first stop was skoda. skoda showroom in west Delhi. Skoda being a skoda the experience was subpar. The salesman man was half sleepy and yawning during the conversation and had a look as if I was wasting his time. No info about skoda shield and didn't even offer a test drive. Felt disgusted and walked out.

Volkswagen Delhi west was a completely different experience. Alert well kept salesman. Good communication skills and was offered a test drive immediately as it was late I asked him to bring the car home which was immediately agreed to.

As far as cars are concerned the Octavia looks awesome , has good build quality but small dash screen looks out of place and panoramic sunroof is a farce.

The jetta looks elegant and I love the way it looks. Once I sat inside I simply loved it. Though it may have slightly less feature than the Octavia but it's definitely better built and feels more solid than the Octavia. The quality is very good and the backrest angle at the back was better as compared to the Octavia.

So right now it's definitely jetta over the Octavia.

Will update on further development soon.
fuelinmyveins is offline   Reply With Quote