Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 23rd March 2014, 12:28   #286
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Which feature would you value more when your dad is in the backseat of a company owned car - a hybrid engine or airbags for the rear passenger?
Definitely a huge downer and good to see that safety is of the paramount in the list.

However there is one more aspect to look at it. The Superb is not known to be reliable. Would I prefer a car that can leave me stranded on the road or one with 2 extra air bags. If the superb is out of service for a month due to some issue or the other, would the stand by car also be a car with 6-8 airbags?

Toyota has skimped out on that one feature which they shouldn't have.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:40   #287
Senior - BHPian

Camry interior quality is definitely a notch or two below the Superb. 7DSG is unreliable, so I would go for a Superb MT.

On the other hand, the car being kept for 4 years only, one can go for a extended warranty and then the DSG replacement is covered - car will be out of use for a few weeks though if and when DSG does conk off.

The new Superb looks a new car, and is build much better for our rough road conditions than most cars. I wouldn't worry about the 2016 Superb - that's atleast 2-3 years aways for India.
lancer_rit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:49   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
However there is one more aspect to look at it. The Superb is not known to be reliable. Would I prefer a car that can leave me stranded on the road or one with 2 extra air bags. If the superb is out of service for a month due to some issue or the other, would the stand by car also be a car with 6-8 airbags?
Fair point. I wouldn't want to compromise on either safety or reliability. But then, based on 4 years of ownership, I can say that the superb didn't have any reliability issues in the first 3 years. The gremlins have surfaced recently. So not sure if that's a detractor.
Having said that, we are looking for options. So the camry and Santa Fe will be evaluated along with the passat (if it is still available that is).
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 14:01   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

When running cost and resale value is not of any concern then why not actually go for a change and look at the Nissan Taena. I haven't been in one but a couple of friend's have it and they swear by its back seat. Do take a look. Buying the same car all over again has never appealed to me.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 14:28   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't even recall the last time I saw a Teana. Is Nissan still selling it? I don't see it on Nissan's website.
Yes it is pretty rare. That said, I do see atleast two every week here in Hyderabad
Yes they do still sell the car. Are you sure you checked the Nissan website? It's right there under the "vehicles" hyperlink on the Nissan India homepage. Anyway, here's a link to the car: http://www.nissan.in/en-IN/Vehicles/Teana.aspx

If you really are dedicated to finding a replacement, do check it out The top end XV model comes with everything you'd want and just a look at those interiors gets me drooling everytime. Gives me the impression that those seats were made for the obese americans the ottoman seat in front, those fat arm rests (note the ones even on the doors), the quality of leather appointed and the vibration absorption layer within each seat, makes it one comfy cabin. In the end, the car is a Nissan and an extremely reliable one at that. Have not heard of any issues from Nissan Teanas or Maximas across the globe.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 14:30   #291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Camry interior quality is definitely a notch or two below the Superb. 7DSG is unreliable, so I would go for a Superb MT.
I would never recommend a Superb MT to anyone if it was not 100% self drive. No driver will be able to drive that MT box smoothly. It has a grabby clutch and is very very easy to stall for a driver. Only a owner who understands will be able to use it properly. A chauffeur will fry the clutch and an owner will cringe sitting behind. Esepecially true in Kolkata with bad traffic and even worse drivers. You cannot consider an MT in Kolkata for an executive sedan.

Quote:
Fair point. I wouldn't want to compromise on either safety or reliability. But then, based on 4 years of ownership, I can say that the superb didn't have any reliability issues in the first 3 years. The gremlins have surfaced recently. So not sure if that's a detractor.
Having said that, we are looking for options. So the camry and Santa Fe will be evaluated along with the passat (if it is still available that is).
Passat is nothing but Superb with lesser legroom and stiffer ride. No extra features for back seat and unnecessary features like heated seats and parking assist useless in Kolkata.

Reliability with a Skoda has a lot to do with luck. You didn't face any issues with earlier Superb for 3 years does not translate to same with a new Superb.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 14:38   #292
Senior - BHPian

@vid - true that.
Couple of questions :
- how comfortable is the Santa Fe 's back seat vis a vis the superb? The tbhp review says the comfort is good
- how does the teana behave on the highway?
Old 23rd March 2014, 15:02   #293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@vid - true that.
Couple of questions :
- how comfortable is the Santa Fe 's back seat vis a vis the superb? The tbhp review says the comfort is good
Hi razor, Superb is a difficult car to replace. Anything you buy in this budget will seem like a downgrade, literally. Only car that is a match is Passat if you do not mind the lack of space at rear, i am not sure if Passat is still on sale.

Santa Fe is nowhere as spacious as the Superb. But Seats are comfortable, and the fact that the middle row seats recline as well, sort of makes up for lesser space.

In terms of Ride comfort, Santa Fe has more comfy softer ride at lower speed, but at speed you will miss your Superb's flat ride. It comes down to personal tolerance levels but i find rear seat ride in Santa Fe to be bothersome, not a car i would pick to relax on rear seat.

FTD factor, no comparison, even with the long wheelbase the Superb with any engine option feels more connected and rewarding to drive.

We all rank the cars based on different priorities, if i were to buy the car for myself, i would pick the Superb with my eyes closed. No comparison.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd March 2014 at 15:04.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 15:33   #294
Team-BHP Support

Anshuman in his case, I think the priority is very clear: Chauffeur drive car under 30L. With that I think given the options: Camry is the only option! I would go with Vid on this. Santa Fe is good no doubt. But if he is looking for company car with a driver and which would be mainly driven in the city, I would weigh Camry more to the Santa Fe.

On a different note, does a hatch make sense? A-Class?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 18:32   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@vid - true that.
Couple of questions :
A Santa Fe is comfortable BUT it is still a tall SUV and not a sedan so it just won't match the comfort your dad is used to.

The Teana is a poor handler. Better than the Camry but not a match for the Superb. It is pretty planted on the Highways, can even munch potholes for miles and miles all day long. The big lazy V6 and CVT combo helps it cruise in a pretty relaxed manner too. According to me this is the only other car out there for someone looking at a sub 30 lac chauffeur driven ride please do take it for a spin some time.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 23:14   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will definitely check it out. But despite all the features and gizmos, the lack of a rear curtain airbag is a huge downer. Which feature would you value more when your dad is in the backseat of a company owned car - a hybrid engine or airbags for the rear passenger?
Toyota should have given additional airbags to be on par with the competition. Yet, Camry hybrid would be my first preference if budget permits.

Superb and Passat won't be in consideration at all for me, all they have extra when compared to Octavia/Jetta is more leg space. Jetta level of leg space is plenty for me, so if I am going to pay more, I would want some comfort features in the rear. The other day I was sitting in the rear seat of a Passat, I was preoccupied with some work related matters so I wasn't paying attention to which car I was sitting in. At some point during the ride, I was casually looking around and all I could find in the back was just a single power window switch that was picked up from Polo bin. In contrast, Camry Hybrid has got so much going for the rear passenger.

Cars from VW stable obviously feel much more solid, drive better, offer better driver ergonomics, etc. so they can be a good choice for people with mixed usage (self-drive, chauffeured). But if I am going to be chauffeured around in the city then Camry is a good choice.

Last edited by androdev : 23rd March 2014 at 23:33.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 09:02   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
At some point during the ride, I was casually looking around and all I could find in the back was just a single power window switch that was picked up from Polo bin. In contrast, Camry Hybrid has got so much going for the rear passenger.
Could you please elaborate on this? What extra features does a Camry offer the rear passenger over a Superb or Passat? Just curious...
Old 24th March 2014, 09:28   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I was casually looking around and all I could find in the back was just a single power window switch that was picked up from Polo bin. In contrast, Camry Hybrid has got so much going for the rear passenger.
What exactly might you be talking about? The only plus according to me is the triple zone climate control in the Camry but otherwise, there isn't much at all. Also the look of the Camry's cabin, just reminds me of those gaudy desi sofa sets with the over varnished fake wood. so as a rear passenger it would be best for me if I wasn't "casually looking around" in the back of a Camry either.
IshaanIan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 09:49   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Could you please elaborate on this? What extra features does a Camry offer the rear passenger over a Superb or Passat? Just curious...
Camry Hybrid not the regular Camry has following features for the rear seats:

1. Electrically reclinable rear seats
2. Separate climate control for the rear zone (3 zone) controlled from the armrest
3. Audio control from the back with controls on the rear armrest
4. Adjustable front seats from the back including the headrest that can fully collapse for better visibility.

Also, wanted to add this point. The Passat was rejected by my uncle in Kolkata for one reason. They sent 2 cars over and both of them failed to cool the cabin anywhere close to comfortable temperatures in Kolkata's March heat.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 09:54   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mind you, this is only for Camry Hybrid.

- electric (power) recline of the backrest
- 3rd zone AC for rear cabin with temp controls in rear arm rest
- rear-left passenger can slide/recline the front passenger seat (front seat has buttons to slide/recline that are accessible to the rear passenger)
- electric rear sunscreen
- manual side-blinds (other cars also have it I guess)
- audio controls in the rear arm rest
- rear arm-rest has storage space with a 12v socket to charge your gadgets, etc.
- rear seats are more comfortable (unlike the firm VW ones)

@Vid6639 has done a great review:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html (Toyota Camry Hybrid : Official Review)

Superb has its strengths for sure. The additional airbags are a big plus and in general the German cars look and feel far more premium.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote