Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2015, 15:11   #346
BHPian
 
Naman_Ferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 113
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Automatic SUV under 20L: Used/ New

Hello,
You can try looking at an used Audi Q3. The Q3 is a very good SUV and you might find one that fits your budget
Naman_Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 15:34   #347
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Automatic SUV under 20L: Used/ New

The B180 is going to be the perfect car. I was thinking of just that before I saw you had already listed it. You will get some low run cars too.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 23:05   #348
BHPian
 
himanshu_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 247
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I would say go with a petrol SUV - Ford Ecosport AT. Usage per month is low so millage should not be a concern, also why pay the extra maintenance costs that come along with a diesel car. Its a pretty good car and has low turning radius for city use.

As for second hand Mercedes-Benz and BMW, these may come at a decent deal but in maintenance and day to day parts replacement will still cost you a lot. I would recommend staying away from used diesel cars, one never knows how they have been used and your usage is quite low hence why take the trouble.
Thank you heydj for your suggestion. It doesn't make sense to pay the premium for as well as pricier maintenance for a diesel vis--vis a petrol
irrespective of used or brand new.

Higher maintenance costs are okay with us as long as the car is worth it. We already have luxury cars in the family but when I think of this , I am not sure if the BMW X1 1.8i is worth it though low mileage examples are available for as low as 14L. The 20d High line is a different story and 2011-2012 examples are about 17-18L+. This is where the B180 Petrol and new Honda CR-V come in! Lot of A4s too are available in this price bracket.




Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
Hello Himanshu,

Will she be driving the car herself or will it be a chauffeur?

Having owned the Ecosport (detailed ownership review to come up shortly), I can say that the car is an absolute treat to drive in the city. The light steering wheel and high ground clearance makes it a good option for city use. I am not sure about the AT as I own a manual.

A couple of points that I feel do not work for the car are:
1. Poor visibility while making sharp turns due to the thick A pillars.
2. Unnecessary rear mounted spare wheel that causes a hindrance when you try and open up the boot in a tight spot.

Ford A.S.S. has been good (not great) so far.

All the best in your pursuit and do keep us posted on the outcome.

Cheers,
Saurabh

Hi Saurabh, thank you for sharing your experience with me. Very valid points and well-summarized

She will be driving the car herself and after reading your post, the Ecosport does sound very tempting. High ground clearance, light steering and small turning radius but must check it out and take it for a spin to experience first hand the visibility. We had this issue with our Dolphin type Honda City ZX.

What would you say about your experience with the general fit and finish, interior plastic quality and the like? I am apprehensive as the family is too used to the Germans in our Garage.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Hello,
You can try looking at an used Audi Q3. The Q3 is a very good SUV and you might find one that fits your budget

Excellent suggestion, Naman but we already own a Q3 and as much as I would love to buy another, I haven't come across good examples under 27lacs. Surprised? So was I! Audi SUVs I've seen hold their value well.




Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The B180 is going to be the perfect car. I was thinking of just that before I saw you had already listed it. You will get some low run cars too.
I know, right? Something about the Mercedes badge and the lovely interior on the MFA platform cars. Engines of course leaves enthusiasts hanging but enough grunt for the city and an occasional highway jaunt. Immensely practical luxury car. Now only if I could get my hands on one well cared for. Out of state registration cars are available for under 20 but New Delhi ones are 23-24L, probably due to higher registration costs borne by the first owners.
himanshu_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 16:24   #349
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,985
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

We are also on look-out for a used diesel SUV for around 10 L. Right now only option seems to be Scorpio ATs. Captiva ruled out because of big-hatch look and uncertain future. Endeavour ruled out again because of bus-like length and low seats. Now we are thinking of upping the budget to include Fortuner AT. Is the old 4-speed AT Fortuner acceptably ok? And from which year and month did they launch 5-speed AT? Can anyone please tell?
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 22:39   #350
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,439
Thanked: 3,136 Times
Default Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
We are also on look-out for a used diesel SUV for around 10 L. Right now only option seems to be Scorpio ATs. Captiva ruled out because of big-hatch look and uncertain future. Endeavour ruled out again because of bus-like length and low seats. Now we are thinking of upping the budget to include Fortuner AT. Is the old 4-speed AT Fortuner acceptably ok? And from which year and month did they launch 5-speed AT? Can anyone please tell?
The Fortuner IMO is not a car that warrants a big stretch in your budget. Why not try looking for a Nissan X-Trail in automatic guise? Civilized car, solidly built very capable of comfortable journeys and modern enough. Fairly reliable as well.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 16:30   #351
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,985
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

Thanks Ishaan. You are the only one who responds to my queries. Ishaan, the reason why I'm steering clear of likes of Captiva, xtrail etc. is that they are dead / dieing brands. I'm leaning towards used Fortuner but damn things cost close to new car prices. Scorpio AT is good choice but my concern is if the AT box busts, can M&M source a replacement gear-box? Because they stopped AT version as the AT box supplier packed up.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 16:45   #352
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,480
Thanked: 3,625 Times
Default Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
We are also on look-out for a used diesel SUV for around 10 L. Right now only option seems to be Scorpio ATs. Captiva ruled out because of big-hatch look and uncertain future. Endeavour ruled out again because of bus-like length and low seats. Now we are thinking of upping the budget to include Fortuner AT. Is the old 4-speed AT Fortuner acceptably ok? And from which year and month did they launch 5-speed AT? Can anyone please tell?
Can't you wait for a little longer as there are strong rumors of an AT box being offered in the XUV500 and the Duster. Fortuner AT is a good vehicle, only sad part being the price. If you can extend your budget then nothing like it as it will probably last you for a long time. Having said that I don't think M&M would have any problems in dealing with gear box problems. The AT scorpio was only recently shelved and hence they are legally bound to service it for a few years atleast.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 19:11   #353
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,771 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Scorpio AT is good choice but my concern is if the AT box busts, can M&M source a replacement gear-box? Because they stopped AT version as the AT box supplier packed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Having said that I don't think M&M would have any problems in dealing with gear box problems. The AT scorpio was only recently shelved and hence they are legally bound to service it for a few years atleast.

Legally bound yes- but parts availability and time frames might not be favourable. Scorpio AT used gearboxes from DSI and the company has gone bankrupt, leading to acquisition by Geely. Mahindra does not have a contract with them anymore. Infact, IIRC their technology was just absorbed by the Chinese rather than letting them do business on their own.

XUV 5OO uses Aisin automatic gearboxes, so I would assume parts from these won't help either.

Also- there have been very less number of Scorpio automatics sold over the years, for them to have a parts inventory for automatic gearboxes. I wouldn't go ahead and purchase one under these circumstances.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 19:52   #354
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,985
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

Thanks Dr MohitG. Yes, XUV 500 or even new model Scorpio AT would have been fantastic but there is no word from M&M on that. Generally it takes almost a year from the moment they announce. All we hear about is 3rd party announcements which cannot be trusted.

CrazyDriver, you are spot on about M&M's obligation to make good on supply of AT boxes. When the AT box manufacturer themselves have gone belly up, what can M&M do, other than apologize. Now, like Mohit suggested, wait for XUV AT OR settle for a good used Fortuner AT.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 08:22   #355
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,480
Thanked: 3,625 Times
Default Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Now, like Mohit suggested, wait for XUV AT OR settle for a good used Fortuner AT.
If you are in the position to afford a Fortuner AT, then why not do that? Whatever people say, hate it or love it, it is one of the most capable SUVs out there. Although I feel, you would have to increase your budget quite a bit from the 10L mark for the Fortuner AT.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 11:45   #356
BHPian
 
himanshu_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 247
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

Not sure if this thread is still the correct one to follow up on. After a few days of online searches and market survey, here's what I have come down to:

1. 2011 Mercedes C200 CGI (pre-facelift)
2. 2011/2012 BMW X1 S20D corporate edition
3. New 2014 Ford Ecosport
4. Wait for Hyundai ix25 (could be a long one)

Mercedes B-class though an excellent choice for my requirement is not available for under 20lakhs.
himanshu_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Predict fellow BHPians next car Sahil Shifting gears 42 6th December 2009 02:44
hi fellow bhpians the_one Introduce yourself 10 31st March 2005 20:07
hello fellow BHPians Blackbird Introduce yourself 11 4th March 2005 20:33
Hiya fellow BHPians xtreme_torque Introduce yourself 10 12th July 2004 13:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks