Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 30th August 2011, 22:59   #1
BHPian

Default Pre-owned C 180

Hello everyone.

An uncle of mine is selling of his 2001 C180 for 6 lakhs. The car has done only 31 thousand km's and is in spanking new condition. His daily run is only 6-10 kms, thus the low mileage. I have seen the car everyday since it arrived and it has never given him any issues whatsoever. It has been regularly serviced and save for one minor scratch on the left door, the body is as good as new. The car has been properly covered everyday of its life and has been lovingly taken care of.

I am having a hard time deciding whether I should get the car, having read about the issues faced by GTO and other users. Please help me on this. It has been a life long dream to own a merc. The car will be used by my mother and will cover roughly 600km/month.

P.S. I am not much concerned about the price as I know how well it has been maintained. It is the car I am skeptical about.
singhupinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 23:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Pre-owned C 180

You should know about the average maintenance cost per annum from your uncle. After 10 years, I would expect to shell out nearly double that. If you can afford that, then go for it.

May be real owners can give you few cents out of their experience.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 23:56   #3
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support : We do NOT permit bumping up your own query. Such posts are classified as SPAM. Please do NOT inconvenience other users by bumping up your own posts.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2011 at 12:11.
singhupinder is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 1st September 2011, 10:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

The Mercedes C180 in India was a complete failure. Off the forum I know of at least two cars that have been sold of by owners at Maruti prices just to get rid of their troubles.

And here's a detailed thread on the mighty C180 Link. (My problems with the Mercedes C180. And Mercedes Benz India.)
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 12:15   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I love these threads; they have the easiest "What Car?" answers

One word : RUN (in the opposite direction).

Of course, you might still be lured by the 3 pointed star and want to buy it. But be prepared for:

- Severe unreliability. This car is a failed platform
- Exorbitant repair & maintenance expenses
- Spending a lot of your time finding the right mechanic, troubleshooting problems and sourcing parts

30,000 - 40,000 kms is just the time when these seeming innocent angels turn into devils. BTW, the C180 is slow, a fuel-guzzler, has cramped interiors and poor levels of equipment. Other than the 3 pointed star, what exactly do you like about the car?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 19:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Of course, you might still be lured by the 3 pointed star and want to buy it. But be prepared for:

- Severe unreliability. This car is a failed platform
- Exorbitant repair & maintenance expenses
- Spending a lot of your time finding the right mechanic, troubleshooting problems and sourcing parts

30,000 - 40,000 kms is just the time when these seeming innocent angels turn into devils. BTW, the C180 is slow, a fuel-guzzler, has cramped interiors and poor levels of equipment. Other than the 3 pointed star, what exactly do you like about the car?
As an aside and most likely a digression, I hope the OP will kindly excuse me for this, are there are any luxury marques , where you buy, just get the vehicle serviced as per manufacturer's schedule and keep driving without any fear of an impending disaster?
RS_DEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 19:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
As an aside and most likely a digression, I hope the OP will kindly excuse me for this, are there are any luxury marques , where you buy, just get the vehicle serviced as per manufacturer's schedule and keep driving without any fear of an impending disaster?
If you are looking for luxury pre-owned cars more than 5 years old, your options could be :
- A well maintained Lexus if you manage to find one.
- Honda Accord - fits very for the price of your uncle's C. Easy to find.

An otherwise contender - i10 Asta Auto
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:28   #8
BHPian

Thank you everyone. I have dropped the idea of purchasing the C180. Maybe I'll start looking for a well maintained E220 W124. I drove the car recently and was blown away. Also, considering the reputation it has it might go up in value with time.

@Mods : I sincerely apologize for bumping up my query. It was an honest attempt to receive some much needed opinions. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again.
singhupinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 01:38   #9
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
I think the main problem is with the unreliable build quality of Mercs in the Oughties. The added problem is that repair costs for these cars is very high.

I have not read similar horror stories from Audi and BMW owners (Although the Bimmers have a problem as far as the tyres go!). I bought a preowned A6 about a year back. Have done 15K kms so far and nothing to complain. I have found the dealership exceptional and the spares seem to be cheaper / at par with those of my Skoda Superb. I am sure that won't always be the case, but the overall attitude of the workshop staff gives me a comfort level I did not have where the Merc dealers were concerned.
My brother bought a preowned E class about the same time and believe me, you do not want to go there!
ppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 06:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

good insight. thanks. would the same logic apply to CDI's and C200K AT's etc of 2003-2005 vintage? In Bangalore there are some available, priced nicely at about 9-13 lacs give or take for cars which have run between 30000-50000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote