Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 4th February 2012, 13:52   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Nissan Teana @ 18 lakhs : Should I bite?

The Teana is supremely comfortable compared to the Accord and Camry. The feature list is huge and just love the panaromic sunroof. Its a good bet at this price if comfort is your priority. The other advantage is that not much are on the road..so exclusivity. Beware, maintenance may not be as cheap compared to its Japanese competitors.

I agree with GTO, its best to be chauffeur driven. The rear seat feels like a sofa from your living room.
Leistung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 17:15   #17
BHPian

IMO you would be better off looking at Accord. It is a wonderful sedan and has everything that Teana has (probably more). Your experience with noise in Honda could be a one off lemon case. Honda Accord consistently gets rated among the best Sedans in USA.

Why not think of a sparingly used BMW 3-series? That could be a VFM.
Animesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 18:19   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leistung View Post
The Teana is supremely comfortable compared to the Accord and Camry. I agree with GTO, its best to be chauffeur driven. The rear seat feels like a sofa from your living room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you are going to be chauffeur-driven, look no further than the Teana. It's so boring behind the wheel that you will fall asleep. Seriously. The Teana is only built for chauffuer-driven types.
Absolutely. I am USUALLY chauffered driven. However when I bought my car (to replace my Opel Astra in 2004) I chose the vRS. Why? Well on the 3 occasions a month (and when my driver is on vacation) I wanted a car I'd care to drive.

My vRS is now up for replacement. Small problems (door switches have had to be replaced, coil packs have had to be replaced, etc...) have started creeping in. So I considered (and am still considering) the Teana. I test drove it on a relatively open stretch of road. I put it in Sport mode then slowly pulled the car on to the open stretch then hit the accelerator (I mean I jammed the accelerator to the floor) and the car goes 1-1000, 2-1000 and them starts moving like an ambling boat.

I drove past the Bandra - Worli Sea link (Mumbaikars will know this stretch) and I found myself looking out of my window at the bridge (sea-link). Time passed so slowly I felt I could count the suspension wires on the bridge! I pulled over. Checked the badge. It says "V6" alright.

What? A V6 that drives like a a silent but lumbering richshaw? Ok maybe I exagerate but you get the picture. The Teana is luxurious. More than the current Camry, Accord and even a few of the Germans (that cost twice as much for the same size) but it gives a whole new meanig the word "sleeper"- It puts you to sleep (driver seat or rear seat).

The Laura TSI at half the cost gives you much more fun. Yes there is no legroom and no petrol (a manual petrol is expected) engine but atleast it drives like a car.

To be fair the Camry, Corolla, Accord (the V6 is fast-boring if you know what I mean) and many others are as boring as the Teana. At least the Teana looks stately. In my view more stately than any other car in it price class - Passat, Accord, Camry, all of them. You can pull up to a board room in a Teana. It looks the part alongside the 5 series and the E class but a driver's car it is not unless you are the passenger and will NEVER drive it.

If you want stately and sedate the Teana fits the bill to a T.

I sit down on it's sofa
Turn the music way down low
waiting so long for the moment
the engine will eventually go

It's hard to think that a V6
Can be shackled like it has
It takes ages to get going
as I step on top of the gas

T-anna, T-anna, T-anna
I'd go crazy driving you

- Sung to the tune of "Suzanna" - Chris de Burgh

OT: Those considering the 18L offer be warned that 18 lakhs is the ex-showroom price for the stripped down version. The fun version is 28 lakhs on road in mumbai corporate tax paid and BTW neither version has adaptive headlamps or park assist etc....

Last edited by navin : 4th February 2012 at 18:43. Reason: Added OT
navin is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 23:13   #19
BHPian

Great post Navin - I mostly made up not to buy the Teana..despite that since the workshop of Sherrif Nissan in Ambattur is close to my current office, I called them twice, on two different days requesting for a TD..

They are yet to get back...

Needless to say if this is the attitude before I have bought the car, I can imagine what it is going to be later..

I am just going to lie low and try out the new Sonata..and if that fits the bill - I'd just go with it at least for the peace of mind of not worrying about bad A.S.S experience, spare parts availability etc..

I will give Honda accord a try as well - I don't replace cars very often and I'd really love to buy a sensible buy that I won't regret - hence not really in much of a hurry.

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th February 2012 at 00:35. Reason: Please avoid quotinga long post specially if its on same page as it causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
azifali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 09:49   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by azifali View Post
I will give Honda accord a try as well - I don't replace cars very often and I'd really love to buy a sensible buy that I won't regret - hence not really in much of a hurry.
The Accord to buy woul be the V6. BTW the current Accords (4cyl and V6) are already about 4 years old so expect a change next year.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 11:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azifali View Post
Great post Navin - I mostly made up not to buy the Teana..despite that since the workshop of Sherrif Nissan in Ambattur is close to my current office, I called them twice, on two different days requesting for a TD..

They are yet to get back...

Needless to say if this is the attitude before I have bought the car, I can imagine what it is going to be later..

I am just going to lie low and try out the new Sonata..and if that fits the bill - I'd just go with it at least for the peace of mind of not worrying about bad A.S.S experience, spare parts availability etc..

For self drive its just boring.
For chauffeur driven, its great comparing superb or even accord.
At local dealership I met a diamond trader who is having two cars in his family and most of the time travels between Mumbai-Surat-Rajkot route. As per his inputs its supremely comfortable and no issues since last couple of years.
I think Made-in-Japan things are utterly reliable so you don't need to visit service center so frequently
Raosaheb Desai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 13:37   #22
BHPian

I would suggest you to wait for the new Sonata, as Hyundai would be launching it soon. Make a visit to Hyundai showroom get the details from them.

I think it would be priced around 20 -21 Lacs. Yes, I agree the it is a bit over budget, but in totality you would get a better package.
ankurvirmani19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 19:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Time passed so slowly I felt I could count the suspension wires on the bridge! I pulled over. Checked the badge. It says "V6" alright.
Awesome, just awesome.

If one must spend 18 lacs on a car today, why look beyond the Laura vRS?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 20:32   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
If one must spend 18 lacs on a car today, why look beyond the Laura vRS?
1. Petrol Auto box
2. Leg room in the rear seat and comfort only a Stanley Sofa can compete with.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 00:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leistung
The Teana is supremely comfortable compared to the Accord and Camry.
I would say it is supremely comfortable compared to the Mercedes Benz E-class and BMW 5 series.
Car Fan is offline   Reply With Quote