Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 24th May 2013, 17:48   #46
BHPian

BMW any day. May cost more initially but well worth the stress free running. Audi has no service back up worth talking about and can cost a fortune
gemballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 12:44   #47
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: BMW 320d (F30) vs Audi A4

^^ As far as I see it the service back up for BMW and Audi is quite similar. Infact Audi as part of VW group has significant investments into India and is more committed. Both vehicles seem to be equally reliable or not rather, and there is nothing available that compensates for the time spent at the service centre in either case while parts are being made available irrespective of the vehicle being in warranty.

Both can cost a lot to maintain when not within warranty. Yes the extended warranty packs are good for peace of mind but they are at an added cost which can be saved if the car performs reliably.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 12:58   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
^^ As far as I see it the service back up for BMW and Audi is quite similar.

Both can cost a lot to maintain when not within warranty. Yes the extended warranty packs are good for peace of mind but they are at an added cost which can be saved if the car performs reliably.
I would disagree. The extended warranty in BMW (BSI) includes all services. And it pretty much costs what the actual services would cost you alone. But just by paying in advance they give you a very very extensive cover, even for alloy wheels.

Audi is no competition in this dept.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 17:28   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
I would disagree. The extended warranty in BMW (BSI) includes all services. And it pretty much costs what the actual services would cost you alone. But just by paying in advance they give you a very very extensive cover, even for alloy wheels.

Audi is no competition in this dept.
I would agree. However, no alloy wheel cover under BSI.
BeamerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 18:01   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post

I would agree. However, no alloy wheel cover under BSI.
There have been a couple of instances of somebody banging their 530d on a curb in Delhi and getting the alloys changed for free under BSI. It's mentioned in the forum itself.
Old 26th May 2013, 01:03   #51
BHPian

BSI (BMW Service Inclusive) is different from BMW Secure (The add on cover over and above your insurance - For example if rats ate the wires, you hit your underbody and damage your transmission tunnel, water logging are some instances where the insurance companies will throw up their hands and say that it is not covered under their policy, so this is where BMW secure helps. However do note that BMW Secure has to purchased on the yearly basis ( as opposed to BSI which can be purchased in packs of 3-5 years with different amount of kms coverage). Also the premium you pay for BMW Secure keeps increasing as your car gets older so whether you buy it or not is a personal call. I think after the first 2 years it really isnt worth the premium as long as you get good zero dep cover.

In case you do damage your alloys by hitting a curb then BSI will not come into play. It will only depend on whether your car is covered by BMW Secure or not. BSI only covers all wear and tear/repairs etc. In any case i think a BSI Ultimate is a must for every BMW owner. Completely worth it.

Last edited by saketa : 26th May 2013 at 01:05.
saketa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 16:36   #52
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^^

Guys maybe some view service a bit differently

Audi provides something called the Audi Car Life Advanced which besides other stuff lets one increase the warranty on an Audi from the standard 2 years to 4 years (close to the BMW 5 years), Merc too today has something similar.

Any very comprehensive service package that one buys for greater peace of mind obviously also comes along with a greater cost. For most buyers having 4-5 years warranty is normally good enough as ensures that the car will not incure any really unexpected maintenance costs in the initial ownership period and post that no company will really offer too much support. Which is why at that point of time many vehicles are then serviced outside the ASS.

What I was commenting about earlier was really that the kind of service support that Audi has in India does not seem to be any way significantly different from that of BMW (unlike as being reported). BMW has 22 service outlets across India while Audi has 20 and both have similar warranty coverage 4 vs 5 years.

Audi does not have runflats so it does also not require the tyres to be covered the way BMW does as it is much more likely that one requires to replace a BMW tyre completely where as in an Audi one would just repair the tyre rather than being forced to throw it away. Also one will not be in a messy situation of being say 250 kms away from Mumbai on the way to Goa and have a tyre failure in the BMW with no spare in the dickey and not being able to make it to any major town where the tyre can be repaired.

On a highway one is more likely to be in trouble due to a Tyre issue than a mechanical one (just basis the likely hood of each event. )

Last edited by ACM : 27th May 2013 at 16:39.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 17:31   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
^^^^^

Guys maybe some view service a bit differently

Audi provides something called the Audi Car Life Advanced which besides other stuff lets one increase the warranty on an Audi from the standard 2 years to 4 years (close to the BMW 5 years), Merc too today has something similar.

Any very comprehensive service package that one buys for greater peace of mind obviously also comes along with a greater cost. For most buyers having 4-5 years warranty is normally good enough as ensures that the car will not incure any really unexpected maintenance costs in the initial ownership period and post that no company will really offer too much support. Which is why at that point of time many vehicles are then serviced outside the ASS.

What I was commenting about earlier was really that the kind of service support that Audi has in India does not seem to be any way significantly different from that of BMW (unlike as being reported). BMW has 22 service outlets across India while Audi has 20 and both have similar warranty coverage 4 vs 5 years.

Audi does not have runflats so it does also not require the tyres to be covered the way BMW does as it is much more likely that one requires to replace a BMW tyre completely where as in an Audi one would just repair the tyre rather than being forced to throw it away. Also one will not be in a messy situation of being say 250 kms away from Mumbai on the way to Goa and have a tyre failure in the BMW with no spare in the dickey and not being able to make it to any major town where the tyre can be repaired.

On a highway one is more likely to be in trouble due to a Tyre issue than a mechanical one (just basis the likely hood of each event. )
The topic skews more towards the Peace of mind in terms if total expenditure on the regular maintenance of Audi vs Bmw Vs Mercedes. Quite simply put, at the end of 5 years which one would have cost you the most to maintain - whether its the cost of extended warranty, services, punctures or anything.

In this case AFAIK, the BMW's BSI is the only package which gives you complete cover (even covering oil changes, services, regular wear and tear like break pads). They really cover the vehicle in such a way that there is no possible way you will spend anything above your BSI in case you've taken the ultimate package. You don't even pay for service. That's a first !

In Audi and Merc the 4 year "extended warranties" do not cover the wear & tear and services. They only cover breakdowns or parts which may actually stop working just like any other car's warranty. In which case you end up paying a huge amount for the extended warranty, plus a huge amount for each service (approx 20k) and massive amounts for "wear & Tear". Break pads alone may cost you upwards of 40k. Mind you, Mercedes is notoriously popular for charging you for "preventive" changes over and above services. As a result usually their services cost much more than they should. BMW would do the same but it won't cost you a penny.

I agree about the missing spare honestly. I miss it. But a space saver does the job pretty well. And do remember, run flats can be repaired just like usual tires on Audi and Merc unless the puncture is in the sidewall (in my 12 years of driving I've never had a punctured side wall). But over and above that, BMW gives you the option of replacing the tires unlike Audi and Merc who won't replace the tire even if it is fully damaged.

Anyway without really getting biased about the small stuff, I honestly have experienced that all 3 brands may become very very expensive to maintain after first 2 years. The only difference is that BMW gives you the option of covering that risk completely without any hidden costs. The other 2 don't.
Old 20th August 2013, 00:32   #54
BHPian

Default Looking for a Sports Sedan in the 40L region

Hey folks, this is my 2nd post in the what car section of Team-BHP, the last one was posted around an year back when I was in a dilemma to choose between a brand new Cruze or a 7000 kms done 320d E90 and just to tell you all, I settled for the X1.

Now, I'm looking for a Sports Sedan which would be my personal car and used by me for going to college, chilling out with friends & family and occasional long trips... I have currently checked out the A6, S60 and the 320d SportsLine. The reason for considering the A6 was I was getting a great deal from Audi Gurgaon for 36L ex showroom for the base variant. I didn't check out the 520d as a 525d E60 is already a part of the family. Now, out of all the cars here I liked the F30 SportsLine the most. The S60 was fine but the interior felt a bit boring and once you get a taste of RWD cars there's no looking back. However, I found the front of the SportsLine a bit less appealing and the wheels didn't look great either. What put me off further was the increased ground clearance (the 2013 cars are around 20mm higher than the ones launched initially) so if I'm getting the F30, right away I'm gonna get a new set of rims dropped on H&R Sport Springs and get a new OEM M6/M4 concept-look front bumper (PIC No. 1) done by Autopsyche alongside with 1M side fenders and the dual end exhaust tips (like the 335is). So, considering all the investments on mods, it makes me wanna consider the N20 Powered 320i and also the 320d baseline. The only thing I'd miss would be the xenons. The interior anyway I'd be upgrading to the ///M Performance (PIC No. 2) within the first few weeks of getting the car.

The car'd be bought by Diwali so I have around a couple of month's time. Suggest!!?

(PIC No. 1)
BMW 320d (F30) vs Audi A4-1bmw.jpg

(PIC No. 2)
Name:  2BMW.jpg
Views: 7082
Size:  62.8 KB
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 01:42   #55
BHPian

Default Re: Looking for a Sports Sedan in the 40L region

Have you considered the Audi S4? Its 333 BHP and about 440 NM torque, a brilliant supercharged V6.

You already have 2 BMWs, so the Audi S4 just makes a lot of sense. Plus a simple remap puts it in RS4 category of 400 odd horses. A brilliant and a must buy in my opinion
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 09:26   #56
BHPian

You could also consider a Lancer Evo. They've been discontinued but I am sure a dealer or two have stock. Rather exclusive, low key for those who are not car nuts (which I what I would prefer if I were in college) and oodles of fun to drive!

I also second the RS4 option, if you can stretch the budget or go the pre-owned route, you could always consider The Jag XF 3.0, it is one beautiful car! If you plan on doing a lot of road trips, why not consider a nice premium softroader? That way you can drive on country roads in supreme comfort without being scared of damaging the under carriage
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 09:57   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post

Now, I'm looking for a Sports Sedan which would be my personal car and used by me for going to college, chilling out with friends & family and occasional long trips...
The S60 was fine but the interior felt a bit boring and once you get a taste of RWD cars there's no looking back. However, I found the front of the SportsLine a bit less appealing and the wheels didn't look great either. What put me off further was the increased ground clearance (the 2013 cars are around 20mm higher than the ones launched initially) so if I'm getting the F30, right away I'm gonna get a new set of rims dropped on H&R Sport Springs and get a new OEM M6/M4 concept-look front bumper (PIC No. 1) done by Autopsyche alongside with 1M side fenders and the dual end exhaust tips (like the 335is). So, considering all the investments on mods, it makes me wanna consider the N20 Powered 320i and also the 320d baseline. The only thing I'd miss would be the xenons. The interior anyway I'd be upgrading to the ///M Performance (PIC No. 2) within the first few weeks of getting the car.
Considering your usage and options,I think that you don't need/want a full blown sports sedan instead you're looking for a mid-end tourer.So,i would say either go for the S60 or 3 series,but since you don't like the interiors of the Volvo you should go for the Bimmer.
Between the Sportsline and the Baseline I'd say the Baseline makes more sense if you're going to carry out the number of modifications you mentioned.
P.S. Do take another close look at the S60

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Have you considered the Audi S4? Its 333 BHP and about 440 NM torque, a brilliant supercharged V6.

You already have 2 BMWs, so the Audi S4 just makes a lot of sense. Plus a simple remap puts it in RS4 category of 400 odd horses. A brilliant and a must buy in my opinion
It's a great machine but I don't think he is looking for a super sedan like the RS4.Also,the S4 may be out of the price range he has mentioned as it's around 50L ex-delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
You could also consider a Lancer Evo. They've been discontinued but I am sure a dealer or two have stock. Rather exclusive, low key for those who are not car nuts (which I what I would prefer if I were in college) and oodles of fun to drive!
It's a great track car but the ride for everyday use especially on Indian roads is just horrible.
It's the car to go for if all you want to is some serious track-day racing.
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 11:52   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post

Surely a good buy in my opinion as well but the S4 is 50 odd lakhs ex showroom Delhi... And even if I extend my budget it'd be by 3-4L max as I gotta keep in mind that irrespective of what car I get, there has to be some customisation/modification right from the word go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post

I also second the RS4 option, if you can stretch the budget or go the pre-owned route, you could always consider The Jag XF 3.0, it is one beautiful car! If you plan on doing a lot of road trips, why not consider a nice premium softroader? That way you can drive on country roads in supreme comfort without being scared of damaging the under carriage
Thanks bro. Lancer? Umm, nope! Firstly it's discontinued and secondly I wan't something that looks just as good as it drives. I forgot to mention but looks are also on my priority list. And no premium softroaders because I have been driving one from quite a while (The X1 and the recently acquired Duster) so wanna get a sports sedan this time. And strictly a big no for pre owned cars from the family. Tried convincing...gave up! Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Considering your usage and options,I think that you don't need/want a full blown sports sedan instead you're looking for a mid-end tourer.So,i would say either go for the S60 or 3 series,but since you don't like the interiors of the Volvo you should go for the Bimmer.
Between the Sportsline and the Baseline I'd say the Baseline makes more sense if you're going to carry out the number of modifications you mentioned.
P.S. Do take another close look at the S60

It's a great machine but I don't think he is looking for a super sedan like the RS4.Also,the S4 may be out of the price range he has mentioned as it's around 50L ex-delhi

It's a great track car but the ride for everyday use especially on Indian roads is just horrible.
It's the car to go for if all you want to is some serious track-day racing.
Yup! A tourer..umm a Sports Sedan cum tourer should be fine, lol! Though I wouldn't be doing much of track driving (let's say a couple of times/year..random track day with friends) I'd still wan't something fast, that handles well and looks great. The only problem with the baseline 3-Series is that it doesn't have xenons and retrofitting OEM xenons are gonna cost a bomb. The difference between the top-end 3-Series Diesel (SportsLine) and the baseline is around 4L and the xenons itself will cost me at least 2L if I source it from Europe. And will check out the Volvo once again.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 11:55   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
it makes me wanna consider the N20 Powered 320i
As your budget is upto 40L

Your option 320i will suit the best as its the same N20 block, with a tune it will be in the similar 250 hp range like the 328i.

With the extra money saved you can spend on the cosmetic mods, it surely would turn out good

Last edited by karan561 : 20th August 2013 at 11:58.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 12:09   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
As your budget is upto 40L

Your option 320i will suit the best as its the same N20 block, with a tune it will be in the similar 250 hp range like the 328i.

With the extra money saved you can spend on the cosmetic mods, it surely would turn out good
Hmmm... I'm kinda considering the same as the F30 with the M6/M4 Concept Front is currently my favourite car and the best looking in the 50L segment according to me but the only concern is how the engine will react on REGULAR FUEL after the BMS Stage One tuning... The stock figure is more or less same as the 320d but I guess that's tested with the 98 RON and will drop by at least 10% on 91 RON. I'm just guessing this performance drop...perhaps, you can let me know better on this as you already own a monster.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   Reply With Quote