Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 29th July 2013, 17:58   #91
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
I plan to keep the car for 4 years atleast.

Hence plans on hold.
Land Cruiser Prado? A little outdated but bullet proof reliability.

How about the FreelandeR?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 19:40   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, i test drove the x6 today and found the ride quality to be poor.

Its hard! Even on slightly patchy roads.
I am looking for a SUV as the road conditions are poor , where i need it, besides, its intented for my self driving father, who finds a saloon like e class too low and too much care is needed not to ground it on our poor roads.

Hence the lookout for a luxury SUV. 4x4 is not needed. But having it doesn't harm either.

My problem is this : Audi Q7 is outdated and feels that way too, especially the interiors. I found it to be slightly cramped comapred to its huge exterior dimentions and road presence. Besides a replacement is due next year.

BMW X5 : Replacement is already out abroad.
Run flats.. i like the driving and handling though the steering was hard/ heavy.

So, i was left with the Merc & quiet liked it.
But then the service issues again raise its head..

Hence plans on hold.
Not looking at anything from the Land Rover stable??

The Discovery 4 should be a good choice. Or even the Evoque, if you are ready to wait your turn.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 20:38   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hence the lookout for a luxury SUV. 4x4 is not needed. But having it doesn't harm either.

My problem is this : Audi Q7 is outdated and feels that way too, especially the interiors. I found it to be slightly cramped comapred to its huge exterior dimentions and road presence. Besides a replacement is due next year.

BMW X5 : Replacement is already out abroad.
Run flats.. i like the driving and handling though the steering was hard/ heavy.

So, i was left with the Merc & quiet liked it.
But then the service issues again raise its head..

Hence plans on hold.

What about the VW Touareg, it is a neat piece of machinery. It doesn't have the badge value of the Germans, but it sure is good. It shares its platform with the new Cayenne, and uses the same 3.0 diesel from the other VAG and Porsche cars. Its got the air suspension, so the ride will be good. I'm sure you can manage a good deal too, since it isn't really selling.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 11:26   #94
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a SUV as the road conditions are poor , where i need it, besides, its intented for my self driving father, who finds a saloon like e class too low and too much care is needed not to ground it on our poor roads.

Hi, have you tested LC Prado ? though underpowered its luxurious, spacious and reliable SUV with excellent road presence.
Raosaheb Desai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 12:45   #95
BHPian

I have seen the LC prado, but its underpowered and doesn't have the brand image for its price and looks similar to the new Fortuner from the exterior and even has the same engine.

And if i am not mistaken, LC Prado is about 89 lacs on road delhi,(ouch!!). Not worth the price.

That alone is the biggest reason the Audi Q7 out sells the LC's in India.
car_crazy1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 17:09   #96
BHPian

The LC Prado diesel, when launched in 2010 was about 62 lac on road delhi, it was expensive but great value. But at 90 lacs its not.

It may be a great reliable car but to pay a 20 lac premium over a Mercedes ML350, just for reliability , that too for a Toyota seems too far fetched to me.

And Land Rover Discovery I have yet to see, but I do believe it exceeds my budget of about 70 odd lacs.
car_crazy1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 17:51   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
A ML250 CDI in our family also has this rattling sound and it's done just about 4000kms! The technician said the rattle is from the lock
Autohangar called us on Tuesday, July 29, that the lock would be coming on Wednesday so the car can be attended to and the rattle issue can finally be solved. We sent our driver with the car on Thursday and within a few minutes he called back saying that the technicians have realised that Mercedes has sent the wrong lock and that it wouldn't fit in the ML!

Anyway, the technician opened up the existing lock and 'serviced' it. The sound as of now is gone. They have again placed the order with Mercedes and as soon the correct lock comes in, the car will be called back for the repair.
amit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 10:57   #98
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Autohangar called us on Tuesday, July 29, that the lock would be coming on Wednesday so the car can be attended to and the rattle issue can finally be solved. We sent our driver with the car on Thursday and within a few minutes he called back saying that the technicians have realised that Mercedes has sent the wrong lock and that it wouldn't fit in the ML!

Anyway, the technician opened up the existing lock and 'serviced' it. The sound as of now is gone. They have again placed the order with Mercedes and as soon the correct lock comes in, the car will be called back for the repair.
Amit, just to be a little more clear, the lock that you are talking about, is it from the back door that open's vertically.
rbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 11:08   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Amit, just to be a little more clear, the lock that you are talking about, is it from the back door that open's vertically.
Yes it's the hatchback door lock.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 12:04   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Has your rattling problem been diagnosed to the lock? In our case, we still have no information from Autohangar on whether they have ordered for the part or not. If the rattle is diagnosed to the lock then it means the problem should affect many more ML models as you have a CBU ML 350 while we have a CKD ML 250 CDI and both cars have the same problem.
I have been using someone's ML250 8k kms old and even that rattles a lot. Do they let know if the problem is totally sorted so that we can also send the car to autohangar.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 7th August 2013 at 12:06.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 12:20   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I have been using someone's ML250 8k kms old and even that rattles a lot.
Is the rattle coming from the hatchback? If so, then it seems like a common issue now that's afflicting many ML's but if it's from somewhere else then

Last edited by amit : 7th August 2013 at 12:21.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 12:26   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Is the rattle coming from the hatchback? If so, then it seems like a common issue now that's afflicting many ML's but if it's from somewhere else then
I am not very sure of the source, the car is being used heavily on bad roads and i thought that it might be minor issue (or i was hearing too much) and sent it for thorough underbody wash and correct psi nitrogen in tyres. Read the thread now only, need to take a closer look and report
vikramvicky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 13:21   #103
Senior - BHPian

Our ML was sent to Autohangar about a week back and since it's return the rattle has gone. The SUV isn't used much though but so far everything is working as it should and lets hope it stays that way.
amit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 11:34   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
If maintenance is the top concern then you need to consider the X3 again as only BMW has the BSI package wherein he will prepay the cost of ownership in one amount at the start (around 3 lakhs or so) after which it will be more hassle free to maintain than the Fortuner even.Take my word for it as I have a BMW and a Fortuner.

The x3 3L version is very punchy too. Fits your needs perfectly. You can opt for better alloys etc to make it look better.
I know the topic is quite old, my advice is for future buyers looking for suggestions.
I agree with Sahil here. BMW's BSI is indeed a boon for its owners. After all, BMW carries the same snob value as of a Merc + the peace of mind guaranteed by BSI.

Last edited by carheadbanger : 18th January 2014 at 11:40.
carheadbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:13   #105
BHPian

Hi All,

I am considering a SUV for my next purchase. Reviewed M class & Q5 and had decided on Q5 3.0tdi for its sporty looks, quicker delivery, cheaper price etc.. Thought I should check out the X3 as well, and it seems pretty good value in this company.

ML350 - 80.81 OTR
Q5 3.0tdi Technology pack - 71.87 OTR
X3 3.0d - 67 OTR (approx)

X3 has more features than the Q5. But has very bland design - both exterior & interior, and currently not in production. No space for a spare tyre either. Chennai dealer has said that X3 production will restart in March only.

Q5 looks good (3.0tdi comes with S line package - exterior only though), is available IMM and has a spare tyre.

My questions:
Do these vehicles have any off-roading capability?
Between Q5 & X3, which is better off-road? Quattro OR xdrive?
Exterior dimensions are almost the same, any difference in seating & cargo space?

Attn: Mods - If not ok to reply to this thread, pls move to appropriate thread.
BikerSG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote