Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:32   #106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 30
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
Hi All,


My questions:
Do these vehicles have any off-roading capability?
Between Q5 & X3, which is better off-road? Quattro OR xdrive?
Exterior dimensions are almost the same, any difference in seating & cargo space?


Attn: Mods - If not ok to reply to this thread, pls move to appropriate thread.
I have driven both cars and dont think either makes the cut for serious offroading. You will be better off with a Pajero Sport IMHO. The Q5 has regular tyres and costs far lesser than the runflats of the X3. Having said that runflats are safer than tubeless as tyre burst is no longer a threat. In terms of drive however, I found the XDrive technology to be better than the Quattro across vehicle classes- X3 Vs Q5, X5 vs Q7 and so on, particularly while cornering.
asterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:15   #107
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 433
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

The first service of the ML was done last month. I have attached the bill, the brake pads were changed and the rest was normal service. Bro is happy with the buy, the biggest plus of this car is the brilliant engine, interiors. NVH is mind blowing for a diesel. No car shuts the outside world like a Merc does.

Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6-img20140107wa0000.jpg
rbp is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:21   #108
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,467
Thanked: 19,367 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
The first service of the ML was done last month. I have attached the bill, the brake pads were changed and the rest was normal service. Bro is happy with the buy, the biggest plus of this car is the brilliant engine, interiors. NVH is mind blowing for a diesel. No car shuts the outside world like a Merc does.

Attachment 1195598
Hey rbp, that's a pretty shocking bill but can you elaborate more on the 65K worth of parts that were changed? It can't be 65K for pads alone, plus your car is under warranty.

A snapshot of the parts page of the bill will be appreciated

Thanks!
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:45   #109
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
Hi All,

I am considering a SUV for my next purchase. Reviewed M class & Q5 and had decided on Q5 3.0tdi for its sporty looks, quicker delivery, cheaper price etc.. Thought I should check out the X3 as well, and it seems pretty good value in this company.

ML350 - 80.81 OTR
Q5 3.0tdi Technology pack - 71.87 OTR
X3 3.0d - 67 OTR (approx)

X3 has more features than the Q5. But has very bland design - both exterior & interior, and currently not in production. No space for a spare tyre either. Chennai dealer has said that X3 production will restart in March only.

Q5 looks good (3.0tdi comes with S line package - exterior only though), is available IMM and has a spare tyre.

My questions:
Do these vehicles have any off-roading capability?
Between Q5 & X3, which is better off-road? Quattro OR xdrive?
Exterior dimensions are almost the same, any difference in seating & cargo space?


Attn: Mods - If not ok to reply to this thread, pls move to appropriate thread.
Help me understand. Your dealer is saying the X3 3.0 will resume production in March, so do they expect you to wait till then? Also I have my doubts about this since the facelift X3 is due soon and I think they may not have more production of this. Now if they have one in stock its a different issue. Though the X3 by far will be the best to drive.

The Q5 3.0tdi is also a great car. Its a good all rounder, not bad to drive and pretty comfortable too. Of course its more of a relaxed cruiser than the X3 (which will make you want to go faster). I quite like the Q5 and I think its a good buy if you don't need the size of the ML.

The ML is a size larger than the other 2, and by far the most comfortable and refined. But then its also the most expensive, and doesn't have BSI like the Bimmers. This is probably the only one out of the 3 where 3 people can sit comfortably in the back for medium to long journeys. This also probably has the most snob value.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:46   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 228
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Hey rbp, that's a pretty shocking bill but can you elaborate more on the 65K worth of parts that were changed? It can't be 65K for pads alone, plus your car is under warranty.
Vid6693, I'm not sure what the parts bill is for this car, but I would not be too surprised if the brake pads were for 65k. I had the pads on my E270CDI changed a year back and with the sensors (All the sensors have to be changed when you change the pads - I hope this is not the case with the newer cars), I paid around 70k.

You come to expect these kinds of bills when you send your MB in for service, even the most basic of spares sometimes demand "Mercedes" prices.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:19   #111
BHPian
 
BikerSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chennai, INDIA
Posts: 374
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Help me understand. Your dealer is saying the X3 3.0 will resume production in March, so do they expect you to wait till then? Also I have my doubts about this since the facelift X3 is due soon and I think they may not have more production of this. Now if they have one in stock its a different issue. Though the X3 by far will be the best to drive. The Q5 3.0tdi is also a great car. Its a good all rounder, not bad to drive and pretty comfortable too. Of course its more of a relaxed cruiser than the X3 (which will make you want to go faster). I quite like the Q5 and I think its a good buy if you don't need the size of the ML. The ML is a size larger than the other 2, and by far the most comfortable and refined. But then its also the most expensive, and doesn't have BSI like the Bimmers. This is probably the only one out of the 3 where 3 people can sit comfortably in the back for medium to long journeys. This also probably has the most snob value.
The dealer didn't mention anything about the facelift. He texted me today that he will let me know by end February about the car as currently there are none in stock. Is the X3 facelift launched abroad?

I am not considering the ML at all. It looks good but at 81 OTR, it's way too expensive. Has some pros compared to the other 2, but there isn't much excitement when you are inside. Audi's MMI & BMW's idrive are way more 'comprehensive'.

It's between the X3 and Q5 for now, both in their 3 litre avatars.
BikerSG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 14:18   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

The X3 has some tempting deals on existing stock. The lowest for the base variant is reported as low as < 45 OTR Mumbai
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 15:31   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,353
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
The first service of the ML was done last month. I have attached the bill, the brake pads were changed and the rest was normal service. Bro is happy with the buy, the biggest plus of this car is the brilliant engine, interiors. NVH is mind blowing for a diesel. No car shuts the outside world like a Merc does.

Attachment 1195598
Brake Pad change at 15,000km? Even with heavy duty highway driving, it seems a bit too early for a change.

That is a mighty heavy bill. I was slowly considering moving to one of the german giants maybe a Q5 3-litre V6. I will have to re-consider.

While its nice that certain manufacturers offer secure packages, it doesnt quite have any value once it has expired (2 yrs is what they offer i think). For example: BMW dont have a package to offer for my 6 yr old 5-series (E60). The reason im looking for a secure package is that the car has done only 20,000km in 6 years and theres still a lot of life left in the car. Sadly BMW bangalore dont have anything to offer.

As far as service is concerned. It seems that all the three german giants are quite shoddy with after-sales.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 16:14   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
The first service of the ML was done last month. I have attached the bill, the brake pads were changed and the rest was normal service.
Brake pads changed at the first service? Isn't that odd? MB have a secure package for 2 years for 2.xx lakhs. We have taken it for the ML250 in our family.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 16:25   #115
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,202
Thanked: 2,932 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
a secure package is that the car has done only 20,000km in 6 years
I l heard about 7 Year Package from BMW Dealer last month & they do have 3, 4 & 5 years since start . I have 5 Year / 1 Lac Km on my X6 .

Double check with dealer on 7 year .
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 19:34   #116
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 433
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Brake Pad change at 15,000km? Even with heavy duty highway driving, it seems a bit too early for a change.

That is a mighty heavy bill. I was slowly considering moving to one of the german giants maybe a Q5 3-litre V6. I will have to re-consider.

While its nice that certain manufacturers offer secure packages, it doesnt quite have any value once it has expired (2 yrs is what they offer i think). For example: BMW dont have a package to offer for my 6 yr old 5-series (E60). The reason im looking for a secure package is that the car has done only 20,000km in 6 years and theres still a lot of life left in the car. Sadly BMW bangalore dont have anything to offer.

As far as service is concerned. It seems that all the three german giants are quite shoddy with after-sales.
No idea if it is early for the brake pad change, as this is the first merc in family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Brake pads changed at the first service? Isn't that odd? MB have a secure package for 2 years for 2.xx lakhs. We have taken it for the ML250 in our family.
I doubt if brake pads are also covered, not sure, let me check with bro, he too has the 2 year secure package.

I am trying to get my bro to send me the detailed bill, will update when I get it.
rbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 12:02   #117
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 433
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Hey rbp, that's a pretty shocking bill but can you elaborate more on the 65K worth of parts that were changed? It can't be 65K for pads alone, plus your car is under warranty.

A snapshot of the parts page of the bill will be appreciated

Thanks!
Spoke to bro, it seems when we brought the car last year, the 2 years complete car care package wasn't available, it is available for the present cars and these guys are not ready to give the car care package for the 2013 cars.

Detailed bill.
Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6-benz-car_page_3_1.jpg

Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6-benz-car_page_4.jpg

Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6-benz-car_page_5.jpg
rbp is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 02:07   #118
BHPian
 
dean5545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 660
Thanked: 785 Times
Default

Why do we have to pay for their gloves ?:o
When we go for a medical check up he doesn't charge me for the gloves or the tongue depressor.
And wurthz brake cleaner,did they use their entire can on one car itself!
I might sound like a miser here but the items on this bill are just stupid !

I'm not buying a German car till the time I have enough money in my bank to buy the same car again.
No offence to any one who owns a German car.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 12:26   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Spoke to bro, it seems when we brought the car last year, the 2 years complete car care package wasn't available, it is available for the present cars and these guys are not ready to give the car care package for the 2013 cars.
The ML in our family was bought in March 2013 & we were offered the secure package last month (January 2014) by the dealer which we have taken up. I am not sure why your dealer is saying something different.

Quote:
I doubt if brake pads are also covered, not sure
Brake pads & brake discs are covered under this package.
amit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 18:17   #120
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 433
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Hey rbp, that's a pretty shocking bill but can you elaborate more on the 65K worth of parts that were changed? It can't be 65K for pads alone, plus your car is under warranty.

A snapshot of the parts page of the bill will be appreciated

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The ML in our family was bought in March 2013 & we were offered the secure package last month (January 2014) by the dealer which we have taken up. I am not sure why your dealer is saying something different.



Brake pads & brake discs are covered under this package.
Thanks bro!. Let me talk to my bro, I will ask him to check with the other Mercedes showroom.
rbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2011 Mercedes ML350. EDIT: Now Sold at 3.3 years and 33K kms manveet Long-Term Ownership Reviews 79 14th April 2014 07:21
Mercedes ML350 CDI : 14 months of ownership mitul.k Long-Term Ownership Reviews 25 15th July 2013 15:32
ML350 or VW Phaeton? varunrdas Luxury, Imports & Niche 47 20th October 2011 21:34
Mercedes ML350 or Acura MDX? Need help Ickx SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 14 8th January 2010 01:12
Pics/Report : March 11th drive w/ an STI, TT, B16A, ML350, Fireblade, ZZR etc Rtech The Team-BHP Meet Section 189 9th March 2009 00:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks