Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 20th August 2014, 19:01   #1
BHPian

Default BMW 3 Series vs 3 Series GT vs Volvo S60 vs Audi A4

Hi everyone. I am hunting for a car for my brother, he has a Laura as of now, and is 5 years old and needs replacement. His choices are:

3 series: 320d Sportline, but its only available in red interior, why is the dealer trying to push him for red interior is a mystery, even if we get it made to order, can't they make a new 3 series in 1 month?

3 series GT: but only available with beige inteior AFAIK and hence is a let down.

Volvo S60: awesome car, but hardly any on the road, reliable?

Audi A4: really an upgrade from Laura? I doubt. I am telling size-wise. Won't it feel similar in driving dynamics and inside space?

I am trying to push the dealer for a Blue 3 series with a Black interior, sportline trim, how does this work but?

All of yours help will be highly appreciated.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 09:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: BMW 3 Series vs. BMW 3 Series GT vs. Volvo S60 vs. Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
3 series: 320d Sportline, but its only available in red interior, why is the dealer trying to push him for red interior is a mystery, even if we get it made to order, can't they make a new 3 series in 1 month?

3 series GT: but only available with beige inteior AFAIK and hence is a let down.

Audi A4: really an upgrade from Laura? I doubt. I am telling size-wise. Won't it feel similar in driving dynamics and inside space?

I am trying to push the dealer for a Blue 3 series with a Black interior, sportline trim, how does this work but?

All of yours help will be highly appreciated.
For both 3 SportLine and GT, interior trims should be configurable (at least as per BMW website). Probably the dealer in your city is trying to push the available stock to you. Why don't you crosscheck with the dealer in Mumbai?

If your brother doesn’t really need that extra space, the regular 3 should suffice. I assume the price difference should be close to 8-10 lakhs (between 3 & 3GT).

I would leave the A4 out of the mix, it is getting towards the end of its life-cycle.

Volvo cars are known to be reliable, but you may want to check on the service backup and support in your city. Out of the options listed, my pick would be the 3 SportLine.
vb-san is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 09:31   #3
BHPian

I see that it's not purely sedans in question here since there is 3 series GT also in the list. Just curious, had V40 been considered? When I got the car for test drive it was already too late for me to consider it but that is one car which offers a lot more for the money you spend compared to the competition. Hope you have taken a test of the same before ruling it out.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it is possible to get a blue 3 with black interiors but you might have to wait for a very long time for it. My SA last year had though told me that BMW does not provide that combo as no one usually asks for it and black is provided only with lighter exterior shades and not with Imperial blue and black exterior colour options.

Coming to what car:
3 vs 3GT: I honestly don't see the point of paying 8-10L more for the GT. Although the GT does provide you with more leg room at the back, the head room is quite compromised compared to the 3. It would definitely be exclusive on our roads but then all that dies down after a few months of ownership. Hence do evaluate properly if you want to spend close to 48L for the GT. You might as well add some and go for the 5.

Volvo S60: If the bagde is not a problem then I would really recommend this. Yes it lacks the sports mode of the BMW but then you hardly get to use the sports mode in our traffic. I absolutely loved the refreshed model. The seats are the most comfortable in its class and it is most spacious. The dashboard design is very very different and unique from what we are used to seeing. The black alloys are just out of this world. And above all this the car is very fun to drive too. Feature list too is exhausting compared to the competition. Volvo service is quite decent and not very costly and the car is quite reliable according to the owners I interacted while picking up my 3 last year.

Also why not wait for the new C?
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on the stock availability at the plant and how far the dealer is willing to push things for a sale. If you insist on a particular trim colour that is not in stock, the dealer will have to send a request to BMW and it will have to be included in the following month's allocation. So yes, it should take a while, more than a month, I imagine.

Quote:
Not really, it's also available in Saddle brown.

Quote:
Yes, the Volvo S60 is a very good car indeed. I see no reason other than lack of snob value, for Volvo cars come packed with a lot of safety equipment.

Quote:
It is possible. The Imperial Blue Brilliant Effect can be had with Black Dakota Leather (In theSportline, the trim will have red accents).
coloneljasi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Default re: BMW 3 Series vs 3 Series GT vs Volvo S60 vs Audi A4

Quote:
Hi everyone. I am hunting for a car for my brother. His choices are:

3 series: 320d Sportline

3 series GT

Volvo S60

Audi A4
I'm going to echo the doctor and vb-san and say that there's no point in going for the 3 Series GT unless you absolutely want the extra space it affords. The S60 is a fantastic car, but a BMW is a BMW at the end of the day and my pick would be the 3'er. The A4 wouldn't feel like enough of an upgrade from the Laura while the BMW would elevate the driving experience to a different ball field altogether.

Don't discard the S60 though. Push hard for some discounts, you should be able to get a great deal on it and it's a lovely car in its own right. Pick one of those 2 and you can't go wrong.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Off the ones listed, I would pick the S60. Quite a few here in KL and they look lovely on road, moves like a colored piece of rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also why not wait for the new C?
+1

If you can wait, then nothing like the new baby S.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 11:05   #8
BHPian

Thank you all so much for a prompt reply to this topic. There are few priorities though:

1) immediate buy, don't want to wait till Diwali or later for new C.

2) Volvo, Audi and BMW all are offering the models I want at huge discuounts, almost same price for all, its like an open bargain market out here.

3) running is very heavy, almost 25000 kms every year, at the least, with 75% highway runs.

4) darker shade of interior is a must!

5) bro doesn't like V40, for the looks of it, hence it is not being considered.

6) XC60 can be considered too if the budget is not deviating a lot.

7) Initially had A3 in mind, but an A4 with discounts is coming to be a cheaper option than A3! Can you believe that?

8) There is only one dealer each for all these brands, so I cant go and ask for a comparitive trim/colour/interior availability, although I can ask someone at Mumbai or Delhi.

9) BMW dealer has specifically told that he will not be able to give the Black interior model before 3 months, and that too, a new hike of 4% in the prices will apply.

This segment is now flooded with options!! Just FYI, all these cars are coming to a price range of 36-37 lacs OTR Ahmedabad.
Old 21st August 2014, 11:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) immediate buy, don't want to wait till Diwali or later for new C.
Shame, that car will be quite looker and would be a terrific buy.

Quote:
8) There is only one dealer each for all these brands, so I cant go and ask for a comparitive trim/colour/interior availability, although I can ask someone at Mumbai or Delhi.

9) BMW dealer has specifically told that he will not be able to give the Black interior model before 3 months, and that too, a new hike of 4% in the prices will apply.
Check out Mumbai and Delhi as you said, I'm sure you can get something more to your liking. When you're splashing so much cash, there's no point in compromising, is there? It's quite likely the dealer is pushing the stock he has readily available, so bypass him to get what you want.
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 12:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3) running is very heavy, almost 25000 kms every year, at the least, with 75% highway runs.

4) darker shade of interior is a must!
Even dealers in Delhi and Mumbai might not be able to source a Blue car with black interiors in a month. Plus the extra hassle of getting the car to your city and all that.

If the running is going to be that high then I think go with the BMW due to the BSI packs. Although since you mention most of it is going to be on highways then be aware that BMW will come with the RFTs and no spare tyre.

Amongst the 3 and the 3GT, I will pick the 3 GT then ( assuming they come at the same price point after discounts).

Lastly may I ask the reason for going for these German brands only? I feel all of them might be a tad less reliable for that kind of running unless you intend to change the vehicle in 2-3 years time. Why not alternatively consider something like the Hyundai Santa Fe?

Edit: How many people intend to travel in this car? The 3 has quite a harsh/hard ride. I recently sat in a C200 and the difference in ride quality was phenomenal. So consider that aspect too.

Last edited by drmohitg : 21st August 2014 at 12:09.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 12:20   #11
BHPian

Default Which one? BMW 3 Series vs. BMW 3 Series GT vs. Volvo S60 vs. Audi A4

They do provide blue with black interiors in the 3 series. I got that one in sport line. I love it more than any other shade on offer. But they try convincing you with all different colors and combo depending on the stock availability.

But yeah for immediate purchase it would be a problem. It is sad when the choice of color required is not available. Sometimes that itself could change the decision of which car!

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 21st August 2014 at 12:32.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 12:51   #12
BHPian

Adi, Since your brother already drives a Laura, I think once the novelty wears out or 1-2 years down the line, your brother will feel the 3 series/A4 cramped. Why not go for the 5 series or the A6 or the E? They are there in the 42-45L bracket (I am assuming you are comfortable with this since you were considering a 3GT as well).
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 13:13   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Adi, I think it all depends on the kind of roads that your brother drives on. If the highways that you talk of are smooth toll roads then I suppose it wouldn't be a problem with these low slung sedans. Otherwise I don't think any of these cars you are considering can handle bad roads as well as the 'rough road' enabled Laura. THese cars come with low GC, low pro tyres, no spare tyre (BMW & Volvo) and very little under body protection.

If I was in your brother's place I'd look at the E/5/A6 as I don't see the 3/A4/ etc... as much of an upgrade from the Laura in terms of the drive experience. Yes the badge value and luxury touches are there, but that's not worth the extra 15 lakhs asking price. If he is open to crossovers, check out the X3, its been refreshed recently and also the XC60 which has recently got an updated engine and an 8 Speed AT.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 13:50   #14
BHPian

Thanks for your feedback.

This is Adi's brother. Well I drove both 3 series and A4, honestly, I found A4 much smoother and would say very less noisy as compared to 3 series. The interiors are plush as compared to 3 series.

Isn't Audi configures the interiors ? They are offering black interiors in White, Red and Silver ?

I heard Audi A4 consumes more oil ? is that right ?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Stratos : 22nd August 2014 at 09:30. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 21st August 2014, 14:03   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I heard Audi A4 consumes more oil ? is that right ?
No more than your Laura. Its the same engine.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote