Team-BHP - Land Rover Freelander 2 vs Range Rover Evoque vs Jaguar XF
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Land Rover Freelander 2 vs Range Rover Evoque vs Jaguar XF (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/156157-land-rover-freelander-2-vs-range-rover-evoque-vs-jaguar-xf.html)

Hi guys

Caught in a dilemma here. I have shortlisted three cars:

1. Landrover Freelander2 SD4 HSE

2. Range Rover Evoque SD4 Dynamic

3. Jaguar XF 3.0 Premium Luxury

My dilemma/query:

Freelander is spacious, has nice features, comfortable, large boot space, 190 bhp engine which is noisy and no paddle shifters and no sports drive mode.

Evoque is not so much on space compared to Freelander, but has much better creature comfort features, in car seating position, same engine as of Freelander but not that noisy, has paddle shifters.

Jaguar XF, on the other hand, is a sedan laden with awesome features, a powerful 3.0 litre engine, efficient & quieter and the fastest of the three.

I love speed, like my cars to handle most of the road conditions still providing maximum comfort & luxury.

My requirements
I have a family of 3, wife, daughter and myself. I drive all the time. My usage is mainly city commute and highway driving at least once a month on all sorts of highways. Good boot space is a must so is total comfort for the occupants of the car.

Any suggestions, guidance, inputs would be more than highly welcome.

Seeing that you will be doing highway drives, rule out the XF. It is still a low sedan, and you will have to think twice about roads before taking the car out. Also do they still make the 3.0d? I thought it was only the 2.2 now.

The Freelander has just been replaced by the Discovery Sport, which looks much better. That said depending on the discount you receive the present one may make sense if you like the car. The ride is good, and the car is solid enough.

Evoque will be fine since its a family of 3. But this is the most expensive of the lot, and its the smallest. The ride is good, and this car feels really premium. Interiors are stunning, only negative is the glass roof cannot open. You can get much larger cars for this price, I believe.

I must ask, why are you keen on JLR cars? After seeing the attitude of the company towards its customers when it comes to a.s.s I wouldn't buy one anytime soon.

Suggest you check out cars like the ML, the Q5, the X3 and even the XC60 which will suit your purpose well and offer you some things over the JLRs. The ML350 will give you the 3l engine and air suspension and will be brilliant on highways over all terrain.

Quote:

Caught in a dilemma here. I have shortlisted three cars:

1. Landrover Freelander2 SD4 HSE

2. Range Rover Evoque SD4 Dynamic

3. Jaguar XF 3.0 Premium Luxury
Well in my opinion , unless you have someone known who owns Dealership or have direct relations with Jaguar , these cars should generally be avoided . There are many horror stories on internet as well on this forum . These cars depreciate very fast and if something wrong happens , parts take a while . Out of the 3 mentioned , Evoque should have least niggles , check if they have offered you 9 speed one . But given your budget - 45-65 or so Ex Showroom , you can look at ML250 in case of SUV or 530-D in case of Car . Beemer is very decently loaded and if you are driving self there is nothing that will come closer to this.

I too concur with people's suggestions thus far; JLR has offered very poor after sales service and there are tons of horror stories around the place. If none of that scares you, go for the Evoque. I personally don't care much for the car, but the Freelander is already being replaced and the XF makes no sense if you want your car to tackle every road there is.

The better options out there are the Mercedes ML and perhaps even the upcoming all new Volvo XC90 :thumbs up

Hi akshay1234
Thanks for your valuable suggestion. Actually the place where I live has bad roads but, I test drove the Jag XF twice here, it didn't seem to pose any problems as such. And yes, the 3.0 d is still available.
Regards the Evoque, I will be test driving it tomorrow so let's see what it has in store.
But, now, adding to my confusion is the doubt about the poor a.s.s. mentioned by you and others. Maybe I'll have to research further. I will keep posting and asking for advice as I progress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count510 (Post 3548589)
3. Jaguar XF 3.0 Premium Luxury.
I love speed, like my cars to handle most of the road conditions still providing maximum comfort & luxury.

My requirements
I have a family of 3, wife, daughter and myself. I drive all the time. My usage is mainly city commute and highway driving at least once a month on all sorts of highways. Good boot space is a must so is total comfort for the occupants of the car.

I need to clarify--by most of the road conditions I do not mean 'off-road' conditions. Hence asked if the Jaguar XF could handle it.
Could any of you guys also update me on the actual usage FE of all these three cars?

Frankly, for the money you are spending these cars are not the best options in their segments. And yes, their reliability is a concern. Nor will you get much/any discounts on JLR.

I am with the rest in suggesting the 530d (best drivers sedan in it's segment) or ML250CDi or X3 3.0 if you choose an SUV. But since you love speed you should probably look at stretching your budget slightly and looking at the new X5 or ML350CDi both of which are around the 65lakh mark ex-showroom.

Hi guys

Had a look at the Evoque. Saw the car-interiors & exteriors, didn't even feel like driving it. So, I didn't drive it, just came back home. I don't think it's worth the money.:Shockked:.

Better to stretch a bit and go for the ML 350 CDI I guess.