Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 20:23   #1
ppr
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 95
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

Hi

I am looking at replacing my A6 2.8 TFSI (now 6 years old) with another pre-owned car.

I have the following options -
2010 525D 3ltr V6 / 22000 kms
2011 E350 Petrol Avantgarde / 17000 kms
2010 E350 CDI Avantgarde with NKV tuning / 37000 kms

All of these are roughly the same cost (within 2 lakhs of each other) and seem to be in very good condition.

I am self driven (Hence the preference for the larger engines), prefer to drive fast when possible and have a family of 4 (so back seat legroom is required). I drive about 10000 kms a year and do like to take a long drive (1000 - 2,000kms) once or twice a year)

I have seen the Team-BHP reviews of these cars when new and they all look great to me. I was surprised how much torquier the 525D was compared to the E350 petrol. I mean, the E350 is a 3.5 ltr V6! I am yet to drive the E350CDI.

I have been seeing some new cars as well. But my mind rebels at taking a huge depreciation hit. That being said, I loved the BMW 530D M sport (great to drive and shockingly less leg room at the back) and the Volvo S80 (also great to drive and really nice interiors).

What do you guys think? I want a minimum of downtime and maintenance expenses for the next 3 - 4 years.

Thanks
ppr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 10:49   #2
BHPian
 
yaseenar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BLR, TCR
Posts: 66
Thanked: 87 Times
Default re: Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

Since you are driving the car yourself, I would suggest to go for the Bmw

If the Bmw is under BSI(Bmw Service Inclusive Package) then definitely it will be cheaper to maintain.

Here is a link to thread where people are discussing maintenance cost among the big 3:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...s-audi-a6.html
yaseenar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 12:16   #3
ppr
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 95
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

I drove the E350 petrol and it was disappointing. You never feel the surge that I did with the 525D and the 530D. The best deal seems to be the E350 because it is still in warranty while the BMW is not covered by BSI. My main concern with the E350 is the (likely to be) poor resale value and the very laid-back drive. I am sure it will go extremely fast on the highway and will be more than adequate to drive in traffic, but it is just lacking something. My head says the E350, heart says the BMW.

How much of a difference does the NKV tuning make? I am yet to drive the E350CDI.

I am almost exclusively self driven. Very rarely a driver.
ppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 12:33   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default re: Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
I drove the E350 petrol and it was disappointing. You never feel the surge that I did with the 525D and the 530D. The best deal seems to be the E350 because it is still in warranty while the BMW is not covered by BSI. My main concern with the E350 is the (likely to be) poor resale value and the very laid-back drive. I am sure it will go extremely fast on the highway and will be more than adequate to drive in traffic, but it is just lacking something. My head says the E350, heart says the BMW.

How much of a difference does the NKV tuning make? I am yet to drive the E350CDI.

I am almost exclusively self driven. Very rarely a driver.
Firstly I think the E350 cdi would have MKB tuning, I don't think there is an NKV. You should see how this car has been driven, it will be the most fun from the list though.

The petrols will never match the torque of the diesels, nor feel as much fun in Mumbai traffic. Unless its a turbo petrol.

How much are you getting these cars for?
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 12:38   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 1,083 Times
Default re: Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

My Vote would go for the 2010 525D 3ltr V6 / 22000 kms.
Good torque and decent FE.

Additionally, its a driver's delight.
Try to get the BSIP and stay protected.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 12:44   #6
ppr
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 95
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

It may be MKB. I just heard from the guy on the phone. But that car has done the most (37k) and is out of warranty. It is also the most expensive of the lot (although all of them are around 30 L - just above or below).

I really, really liked the new 530D when I drove it, but I am not sure I can bring myself to pull the trigger on that purchase. Just a little too pricey for me, and I generally believe in letting someone else take the hit on the depreciation. But that makes a powerful argument! I also loved the looks and interiors of the BMW 320D GT. I just wish it had a bigger engine in it.

That E350 petrol is such a good deal, that the practical part of me is just finding it hard to say no. But I wonder how I am going to feel for the next 4 years ;-).

So do you think the E350 CDI with MKB tuning will be as good as the 530D? I will drive it in a couple of days before taking a final decision.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
My Vote would go for the 2010 525D 3ltr V6 / 22000 kms.
Good torque and decent FE.

Additionally, its a driver's delight.
Try to get the BSIP and stay protected.
Can I buy a BSIP on a 4 year old car if it is not already covered?

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2014 at 15:17. Reason: Merging back to back posts
ppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 13:03   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default re: Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
It may be MKB. I just heard from the guy on the phone. But that car has done the most (37k) and is out of warranty. It is also the most expensive of the lot (although all of them are around 30 L - just above or below).

I really, really liked the new 530D when I drove it, but I am not sure I can bring myself to pull the trigger on that purchase. Just a little too pricey for me, and I generally believe in letting someone else take the hit on the depreciation. But that makes a powerful argument! I also loved the looks and interiors of the BMW 320D GT. I just wish it had a bigger engine in it.

That E350 petrol is such a good deal, that the practical part of me is just finding it hard to say no. But I wonder how I am going to feel for the next 4 years ;-).

So do you think the E350 CDI with MKB tuning will be as good as the 530D? I will drive it in a couple of days before taking a final decision.

Thanks
E350 with the tuning box will be a beast, but then 37k kms is a bit much for a car which you do not know the history off - How hard it was driven, etc.

A new 530d is ideal, you can get about a 5l + discount on one, but its still 60+. There are some cars done 3-5k kms which are going below 55l.

E350 petrol would be perfect for someone who is a lazy driver, who steps on it once in a while. All these cars are still 3-4 years old, and niggles if any would start showing up now.

I would suggest you up the budget a bit and get a 2 year old car max, done under 20k kms.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 13:03   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 1,083 Times
Default re: Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
Can I buy a BSIP on a 4 year old car if it is not already covered?
I am not sure if you can buy the BSIP separately. You will need to check with the BMW dealer.

Pls. check if the first owner is already covered. If he is, then the BSIP can be transferred on your name.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 13:22   #9
ppr
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 95
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
E350 with the tuning box will be a beast, but then 37k kms is a bit much for a car which you do not know the history off - How hard it was driven, etc.

A new 530d is ideal, you can get about a 5l + discount on one, but its still 60+. There are some cars done 3-5k kms which are going below 55l.

I would suggest you up the budget a bit and get a 2 year old car max, done under 20k kms.
The E350 Petrol is about 2 years old (registered date) but 3 year old in manufacture.

If you know of any used 530D, sparingly used, I would love to know. I have seen a couple on carwale, but no good ones there. Most are driven 40 - 50k over 4 years. Do these older ones also have an electronic display like the new 530D or is that a 2014 feature?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I would suggest you up the budget a bit and get a 2 year old car max, done under 20k kms.
Any thoughts on 5 year old Cayennes? Do they have a lot of maintenance costs? If not driven too much (About 8k kms per year)

Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2014 at 15:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts
ppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 10:20   #10
VSD
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 346 Times
Default

After having both merc350cdi & 525d (3.0) in the family, i can tell you for sure that the bimmer is just that much better to drive in city or on the highway. It has higher torque surge for quick overtakes and the power is always available at any point with just a press.
I won't say the same for the merc, it has the power to match the bimmer but it just doesn't feel that great to drive.

Also, the bimmer is cheaper to service and run as it has better fuel economy. Thanks to an 8speed gearbox it's much more refined as well.
To give you the hint on how much i love driving this car is the mileage comparison between the two:-
Merc has done 36k, 4yrs old now
Bmw has done 49k, still to complete 3yrs.
VSD is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 12:10   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default re: Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
The E350 Petrol is about 2 years old (registered date) but 3 year old in manufacture.

If you know of any used 530D, sparingly used, I would love to know. I have seen a couple on carwale, but no good ones there. Most are driven 40 - 50k over 4 years. Do these older ones also have an electronic display like the new 530D or is that a 2014 feature?
Thanks
Will keep a look out for 530s, in the meantime here are 2 cars to ponder over -

http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2013-d668626/
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2011-d660935/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
Any thoughts on 5 year old Cayennes? Do they have a lot of maintenance costs? If not driven too much (About 8k kms per year)

Thanks
Cayennes IMO will have lots of electronic gremlins + Porsche service is going to be expensive. You thinking of the orange GTS?
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 12:13   #12
ppr
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 95
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

That one and another white one. The GTS is a manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Will keep a look out for 530s, in the meantime here are 2 cars to ponder over -

http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2013-d668626/
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2011-d660935/



Cayennes IMO will have lots of electronic gremlins + Porsche service is going to be expensive. You thinking of the orange GTS?
Thanks. Will check those two out. The Bimmer looks interesting. The A6 looks overpriced. The White Cayenne looks interesting too

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2014 at 15:19. Reason: Merging back to back posts
ppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 13:07   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default re: Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
That one and another white one. The GTS is a manual
The GTS is very much an auto. It used to belong to a friend. The exhaust note is great, and the car is reasonably quick. Do check the latest condition though. If you are fine with a stiff ride (21" rims remember) and low mileage then its a fun car to have.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 15:54   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 137
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Will keep a look out for 530s, in the meantime here are 2 cars to ponder over -

http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2013-d668626/
Doesn't a 2011 vehicle with only 7K on the ODO sound fishy? Otherwise the car looks immaculate and mouth watering.
I may be interested at that price. In comparison the Audi looks overpriced

EDIT - same car is listed here http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2013-d667635/

With 12K on the ODO. Photographs are a day apart?

Last edited by car.lover : 13th November 2014 at 16:00. Reason: More info
car.lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 16:16   #15
BHPian
 
lalittalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 239
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
Doesn't a 2011 vehicle with only 7K on the ODO sound fishy? Otherwise the car looks immaculate and mouth watering.
I may be interested at that price. In comparison the Audi looks overpriced

EDIT - same car is listed here http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2013-d667635/

With 12K on the ODO. Photographs are a day apart?
simple explanation, one of the photos is in Kms, the other in miles . if you convert the miles to kms, it comes to 12680. so, being a day apart both photos are believable.
lalittalwar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-owned Luxury: Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-Series? maverhick Luxury, Imports & Niche 20 2nd September 2015 00:04
ET: Luxury cars at throwaway prices! article on pre-owned luxury car business aditya101 Super-Cars & Imports in India 51 17th June 2009 17:52
pre-owned Baleno vs pre-owned Accent vs ikon flair rohantn Sedans 36 16th February 2007 20:27
pre-owned Wagon R or pre-owned Bolero - pls advice rohantn Hatchbacks 26 7th February 2007 17:02
Pre-owned Ford mondeo vs Pre-owned Skoda octavia azifali Sedans 6 24th July 2006 13:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks