Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Mercedes CLA-Class 142 73.58%
Audi A3 51 26.42%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st April 2015, 11:11   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes CLA-Class vs Audi A3

Considering Audi's ASS in Mumbai under people like Anand Rao, it is a total dealbreaker.
I give my vote to Mercedes just for that.
Audi ASS absolute crap!
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 20:12   #32
BHPian

Voted for the CLA. However, this is more of a heart vs mind comparison.
The mind will always say A3, because it's more subtle, more rounded, more "homely" and even better to drive (diesel vs diesel, can't comment on petrol) and not to forget it's way more practical (especially if you have a family and a driver).

But, the heart will always say CLA, because of those killer looks, interiors and those frameless windows. Oh, and somewhere I do believe there is no match to the three-point star (not even the Audi rings).

If a premium of 4-5 Lacs, over the A3 isn't an issue (A3 Premium vs CLA 200 Style), then CLA seems like a better pick. Not to miss that Audi has cut corners unnecessarily, especially when it comes to DRL/Xenons on lower trims, which Mercedes hasn't - Style and Sport variant both come equally loaded.

It's very difficult to pick!
madnish30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 01:18   #33
BHPian

I would buy the CLA if I had to buy one of these. It is a fresh design inside out. And looks gorgeous in certain colors. The A3 is plain ordinary compared to it.

Neither of them are exceptional in space, comfort or power. And Mercedes has come a long way in making their cars handle better. So I think the A3 and CLA are at par. Space at the rear is marginally better in the A3. But from the way I look at it, most of the users/buyers for these cars will be relatively young who would prefer driving. So the CLA still scores. For people who consider the rear seats important, look elsewhere. These cars will not be the best choice for you. The exterior of the A3 looks too much like the A4 which itself is an old design compared to the CLA. In fact, all Audis have started looking the same and I am kind of bored. (Strictly personal opinion)

There is one thing bad about the CLA though; the transmission !! (Even the W205 C had the same problem) The shifts are not really smooth compared to the Audis.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 23rd April 2015 at 01:23.
DieselAddikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
I would buy the CLA if I had to buy one of these. It is a fresh design inside out. And looks gorgeous in certain colors. The A3 is plain ordinary compared to it.

Neither of them are exceptional in space, comfort or power. And Mercedes has come a long way in making their cars handle better. So I think the A3 and CLA are at par. Space at the rear is marginally better in the A3. But from the way I look at it, most of the users/buyers for these cars will be relatively young who would prefer driving. So the CLA still scores. For people who consider the rear seats important, look elsewhere. These cars will not be the best choice for you. The exterior of the A3 looks too much like the A4 which itself is an old design compared to the CLA. In fact, all Audis have started looking the same and I am kind of bored. (Strictly personal opinion)

There is one thing bad about the CLA though; the transmission !! (Even the W205 C had the same problem) The shifts are not really smooth compared to the Audis.
The CLA wins hands down for anyone who wants to make a statement and have an engaging drive with mainly 2 people in the car. the A3 is nice as a baby Audi but the space is more akin to a Honda city or Verna. a funny hindi saying which has evolved for for it is "yeh to Honda city pe chaar challe laga diye hain"!! (no offernce to any Audi owners~!)
Both cars have a narrow back seat but it was easier for me to slide in and out of the CLA vs. A3. However the CLA felt absolutely claustrophobic at the back with the narrow and sharply sloping roofline and tall front seats and jet blakc upholstry.
CLA wins my vote for now but perhaps better to go for the BMW 320 Prestige or Audi A4 with the discounts on offer!
krish69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 23:13   #35
BHPian

I recently took a GLA Diesel from Zoom Car for a day and that changed my perspective completely about the cars powered by the 220 CDI engine in 134 BHP tune. The vehicle had done only about 22,000 kms, and so it was not too old either.

The car absolutely unenthusiastic. Engine is gruffy and harsh, and the NVH levels were pathetic. (Tried two GLAs so far). The engine is not revvy as well.

I wonder why people pay so much for such a lousy engine.

I won't touch the CLA with a barge pole if it is powered by the same diesel. (I voted for CLA). Unless, the unlikely possibility of engine being super refined in CLA as compared to the GLA.

The only thing worse (in India) I had driven wrt NVH, was Honda's Amaze diesel.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 14:46   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
The car absolutely unenthusiastic. Engine is gruffy and harsh, and the NVH levels were pathetic. (Tried two GLAs so far). The engine is not revvy as well.

I wonder why people pay so much for such a lousy engine. .
I may be wrong but i think its all about being proud and showing off the status.

How many percentile of people buying luxo cars, actually thinks or cares about whats inside the hood? All they care is how expensive it is, how is the perception of the brand among his/her circles and whats special about it?

My own neighbor, an industrialist, owned XJ-L, X6, GL class, S80 apart from T-fort, mini, elantra (for dropping kids to school and grocery shopping), almost all cars near to 1 Cr bracket. And now his garage has 2 cayanee (white and blue), a new S80 and a panamera (to be delivered during navratri). to get the tax benefit the cars are changed every 2 years max. though GL class lasted less than 6 months. The point is the choice of the cars is all about being exclusive.

Looking forward to his panamera.

However, in this example, engine always was above 3 ltrs.
PS: I wish he buys one around 50-60 lacs and sells in 2 years with over 50% depreciation.
Mission_PGPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 23:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
I may be wrong but i think its all about being proud and showing off the status.

How many percentile of people buying luxo cars, actually thinks or cares about whats inside the hood? All they care is how expensive it is, how is the perception of the brand among his/her circles and whats special about it?
That's one perspective sir. With due respect, I beg to differ. People do buy for engine, power performance, luxury, comfort, safety features etc. and high performance cars are only available in high end cars, at least in India. You cannot paint all luxury car buyers with the same brush .

On another note, that's quite a neighbourhood you live in!

Last edited by petrolveins : 9th October 2015 at 23:26.
petrolveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 09:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
That's one perspective sir. With due respect, I beg to differ. People do buy for engine, power performance, luxury, comfort, safety features etc. and high performance cars are only available in high end cars, at least in India. You cannot paint all luxury car buyers with the same brush .

On another note, that's quite a neighbourhood you live in!
Totally agree with you and thats why i mentioned "how many percentile?". There are quite a good numbers, who believe in raw power and understands the capability of machines.

Neighbourhood, ohhh yeah, just to give you a perspective, the value of some of the residents cars is higher (3-4 times) than the residence itself.
Mission_PGPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 19:52   #39
BHPian

Default Luxury car choice: BMW or Audi or Merc?

Dear All:

Request your valuable thoughts please- I am presently scouting the market for a luxury car with a budget OTR of circa 31 lakhs- this has to be done by selling my 1 year old XUV 500 W10 and then purchasing one of these beasts.

Background:

I've had an infamous experience with a used BMW, and ended up selling it at a loss- purchased it from Mahindra First choice in Trivandrum, and since then family has not been rather that keen on foraying into the luxury automotive realm. However, my recent sub-optimal experience with Mahindra made me think twice on my choice of the legendary Value for Money (VFM) XUV 500.

Present Scenario:

Been liaising with Audi, and the sales executive informs me of a demo car (decommissioned in his parlance) which is an Audi A3 Technology ready to be sold at 26.5 lakhs (2014 model and clocked 15,000 kms), Audi A3 Premium Plus to be sold at 28.25 lakhs (2015 model and clocked 3500 kms), and an Audi A4 Premium to be sold at 30 lakhs (2015 model and clocked 5100 kms).

My experience with Mercedes-Benz- a demo CLA Sport for 28 lakhs and a B-class for 24 lakhs, and they are not ready to budge a bit.

BMW:None so far notwithstanding my request for any offers or deals.
jacobvarughese is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 19:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Luxury car choice: BMW or Audi or Merc?

Quote:
I've had an infamous experience with a used BMW
Quote:
Been liaising with Audi, and the sales executive informs me of a demo car (decommissioned in his parlance) which is an Audi A3 Technology ready to be sold at 26.5 lakhs (2014 model and clocked 15,000 kms),
In one word - Stay Away from Demo cars. In case you are tight on budget look something used but with clean credentials. BMW 3 Petrol has some great discounts running on and can be had for 27-28 Lac in Delhi. These are CBU manufactured in Germany going for steal,on every unit BMW sell they lose more than 10 Lac
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 20:01   #41
Team-BHP Support

Avoid demo cars at all costs. They may not feel new (in most cases) and will have much more wear than a single person driven car at the same kms.

Luxury cars can be had at good discounts nowadays. I would say look at new cars only.
Akshay1234 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 22:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Dear All:

Request your valuable thoughts please- I am presently scouting the market for a luxury car with a budget OTR of circa 31 lakhs- this has to be done by selling my 1 year old XUV 500 W10 and then purchasing one of these beasts.
As Akshay and Turbanator have rightly said, stay away from Demo cars at all costs! They are badly abused by many people and one can never always have that peace of mind, specially in your case when you already have faced a bad BMW experience.
Do consider new cars which are going for heavy discounts. They appeal to a very limited market but you shall give it a thought once; you can manage to get a really nice deal.
And if Pre-worshiped is the way for you to go, please go for a car with a clean background and which has its warranty remaining or has the extended one.

Do let us know about your choices and preferences.
Luv.
Luv_Jaiswal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 23:12   #43
BHPian

Thanks much all for your prompt attention to my post- much appreciated.

I have a quick pertinent question, and I offer my apologies in advance: the Audi and Merc sales of executives offer me warranty(and suggested I could go for Extended Warranty), and say the vehicle is subjected through a robust checkpoint process(110-point check for Audi etc). They can also assure me that any mechanical problems the car has could also be looked into. Couldn't I also go for a Service pack to be on the safer side to cover additional unforeseen events?

Re: New cars, please advise on how do I negotiate with these sales blokes- most of them seem to be hard bent, and reluctant to budge.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.
jacobvarughese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

Could we maybe get a bit of background on your preferences? Right now the move from a 7 seat SUV to a cramped up A3 or CLA seems baffling to me. Warranties are all fine but companies have their ways of dodging them or delaying diagnosis of an issue till after the warranty is lapsed. I'd suggest staying away from a demo car regardless of what assurances the sales folk make. At the end of the day they will not replace expensive "wearable" items like the suspension, suspension linkages, clutch, mounts, etc. and in a demo car these will all be abused. My recommendation would be not to rush into "luxury". Unless you look at a discounted 3 series or have the moolah for an A4 or C-Class, you really aren't getting anything much. I'd suggest looking at cars like the Endeavour, Octavia, Fluence instead.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd August 2016 at 08:50.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:38   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

If this is your primary and only vehicle then even I would suggest refraining from buying one. You are better off buying a D segment car or a fully loaded SUV for that money. Whatever you say, and I own a 3 series, these cars are at best entry level offerings from these luxury car makers and practicality is the last of their strengths. The rear seats are cramped, low slung, problems with ground clearance, hydrostatic locks etc. are some of the Achilles heels.

I would also suggest opting for something like the Skoda Superb perhaps, if you are willing to live with Skoda after sales. You might look around to read reviews of your local Skoda dealership here. Or opt for something like the Fortuner/Endeavour/Santa Fe.

If you still feel that you want to go in for a luxury badge then I would suggest opting for a new vehicle and not a Demo car. On the other hand look for cars in the used car market. These cars are depreciation disasters and I have seen multiple 2-3 year old 3 series with very few kms on the odo being sold for 20-22 L which is a much better deal.
drmohitg is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote