Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 20th February 2016, 11:24   #46
BHPian

Default Re: BMW X1 Replacement - X3, Evoque or GLA?

Sorry for not giving an update guys.. Due to the facelift being around the corner and because of the fact I was not VERY confident I ended up cancelling the booking and getting a Fortuner in October followed by a creta automatic... Sadly the X1 never really got its real upgrade but with the new X1 out and with creta turning out a little sluggish its making me spend a few mins every day on YouTube watching M Sport reviews and drooling over it
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 Replacement - X3, Evoque or GLA?-image.jpeg  

AdiSinghV12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 15:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Sorry for not giving an update guys.. Due to the facelift being around the corner and because of the fact I was not VERY confident I ended up cancelling the booking and getting a Fortuner in October followed by a creta automatic... Sadly the X1 never really got its real upgrade but with the new X1 out and with creta turning out a little sluggish its making me spend a few mins every day on YouTube watching M Sport reviews and drooling over it
Hi,

You mentioned the Creta AT to be sluggish. I am planning on a Creta AT.
Would you recommend a new creta AT or a 3 year old Merc B180CDI/BMW 118 D.

The pre-owned germans appear to be clean cars.

The car will be for city commute of about 50km/day. Hence the AT gearbox efficiency at lower rpm/speed has to be decent.

Thanks
bharath14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 15:44   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath14 View Post
Hi,

You mentioned the Creta AT to be sluggish. I am planning on a Creta AT.
Would you recommend a new creta AT or a 3 year old Merc B180CDI/BMW 118 D.

The car will be for city commute of about 50km/day. Hence the AT gearbox efficiency at lower rpm/speed has to be decent.

Thanks
The B Class will offer almost triple levels of luxury than the Creta. The Creta AT does not have leather anywhere, not even the steering. The B class will offer, better seats, better gear box, better feel, equivalent comfort, and snob value. It will be expensive to maintain but then, it will be well worth it. my 2 cents. Also on the electronics front, it has very high end modules that hyundais only dream of. You might also get the double sunroof.

If you want a simple car, with easy upkeep, then go for creta. It is far from VFM though.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 17:44   #49
BHPian

Quote:
No matter how clean the car appears to be, you must be prepared for the worst. If you are fine with spending more on repairs and maintenance, and don't mind having a pre-owned car, go ahead.

I loved the Creta when it first came out and I still do, but it just isn't worth the asking price. Hyundai have gone nuts IMO.

Have you considered the XUV? It looks pretty good on paper. My friend has it and he loves it. In fact, he prefers it over his E Class (pre-facelift W212) in terms of A.S.S.
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 18:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
No matter how clean the car appears to be, you must be prepared for the worst. If you are fine with spending more on repairs and maintenance, and don't mind having a pre-owned car, go ahead.

I loved the Creta when it first came out and I still do, but it just isn't worth the asking price. Hyundai have gone nuts IMO.

Have you considered the XUV? It looks pretty good on paper. My friend has it and he loves it. In fact, he prefers it over his E Class (pre-facelift W212) in terms of A.S.S.
I agree!
Its a gamble buying any used premium car. I can live with the higher service bill (yearly/15k km) but cost for repairs and spares outside the warranty period is a concern. I have no prior experience owning a pre-owned car, but don't really mind if its VFM with the initial depreciation hit passed on.

Creta is definitely overpriced keeping in mind that it uses the same engine options as the Verna, is locally manufactured, and misses out on a lot of features.
But with not many options in the price range, more so for the AT, Hyundai's cash cow strategy seems to be working. I wonder what the Creta pricing means for the Tucson, which is a far superior product in all aspects.

XUV is big for our requirement as we don't require a third row, AWD, and prefer a compact Diesel AT for the city. Also the W8 FWD AT is 2L more than the Creta SX+ AT.

Its only due to the limited options, I m looking at pre-owned cars aware of the uncertainties.
Old 21st February 2016, 20:40   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I agree!
XUV is big for our requirement as we don't require a third row, AWD, and prefer a compact Diesel AT for the city. Also the W8 FWD AT is 2L more than the Creta SX+ AT.

Its only due to the limited options, I m looking at pre-owned cars aware of the uncertainties.
I wasn't aware of the pricing, but I feel the XUV is a better overall package than the Creta. I was really looking forward to the car, but Hyundai let me (and others) down because of the pricing.

Pre-owned opens a wide array of choices, but my family has had bad experiences with pre-owned so I personally wouldn't go for one. Have you checked out the Scorpio and the Safari? They look promising from the outside. Another car I'm in love with is the Aria (or the Hexa for next-gen). I liked the Innova, too, but it's too darn expensive :P
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 21:00   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
I wasn't aware of the pricing, but I feel the XUV is a better overall package than the Creta. I was really looking forward to the car, but Hyundai let me (and others) down because of the pricing.

Pre-owned opens a wide array of choices, but my family has had bad experiences with pre-owned so I personally wouldn't go for one. Have you checked out the Scorpio and the Safari? They look promising from the outside. Another car I'm in love with is the Aria (or the Hexa for next-gen). I liked the Innova, too, but it's too darn expensive :P
True, XUV offers great value proposition to the target segment, and Mahindra seems to have been improving the overall ownership experience. It is indeed tempting with the well mated Japanese gearbox. I share the garage with my father who is an auto enthusiast, and he for some reason does not prefer true full grown SUVs.

Scorpio AT gearbox is not all that great and hence I gave it a miss.

I m a Safari fan, but no AT yet. The upcoming Hexa and Innova Crysta would come with an AT and loaded but their proportions and utility are similar to the XUV.
As you rightly said, both ought to hit 20L plus which I feel is justified compared to a Creta at 17.
Old 21st February 2016, 21:42   #53
BHPian

Quote:
True, XUV offers great value proposition to the target segment, and Mahindra seems to have been improving the overall ownership experience. It is indeed tempting with the well mated Japanese gearbox. I share the garage with my father who is an auto enthusiast, and he for some reason does not prefer true full grown SUVs.

Scorpio AT gearbox is not all that great and hence I gave it a miss.

I m a Safari fan, but no AT yet. The upcoming Hexa and Innova Crysta would come with an AT and loaded but their proportions and utility are similar to the XUV.
As you rightly said, both ought to hit 20L plus which I feel is justified compared to a Creta at 17.
If I were a buyer in this segment, I would go for the XUV500 as it makes the most sense to me. My father loves SUVs (he fell in love with them ever since we got a Nissan Pathfinder). The XUV500 W8 manual makes most sense to be honest. I wish Hyundai had priced the Creta well. My father really liked the car, but his jaw dropped when I told him the price

I think the Indian automotive market has changed a lot. A few years ago, no one in their right mind would've thought that 10L hatchbacks would sell like hot cakes here. Take the S-Cross, for example. I'm sure it's huge, but it looks like any other hatchback from certain angles. Compared to the Creta it is priced decently though.
AnInternetUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 02:15   #54
BHPian

Default Replacement for an X1 - Evoque or something else?

It's been a fabulous 4+ year journey with my Basanti on steroids
(Basanti reincarnations History: Basanti = Corsa Circa 2003 (which I still retain), Basanti redux = SX4 circa 2009, basanti redux = X1 s20d and a Samba in between - XUV W10 AWD circa 2015 that the wifey retains which brings us to the car in question - X1 s20d Circa late 2012 )

Now it so happened that my dear BIL expressed an interest in my car so it is his for the taking ..
which leaves me in a quandary on what next!

I have loved the X1 so far but seems kinda pointless to get the same car as a replacement...
The Audi Q3 is not a shade on the X1 driveability wise so that is Out of the equation..
Merc has nothing in the segment of the kind of vehicle I am looking for ..
The X3/Q5 are too big esp considering the other vehicle in the stable is a XUV AWD

So I ended up TDing the baby RR today and here are my thoughts:
- The drivetrain on the new Ingenium engine seems a little better than the X1 but not by much so a minor upgrade at best
- The interiors are a head & shoulder above & more so a major upgrade
- The panoramic roof is lovely & to die for and a major upgrade
- The handling is a bit of a downgrade but not particularly bad either
- The audio setup seems to be a minor upgrade

So while I liked the car, I wasn't totally sold on it either to plonk down the extra cash (which is a significant amount for a salaried guy) without a thought
Having said that, I cannot think of any other vehicle that I should have on my consideration set..
(I thought of the Jag XE but the low GC is a dealbreaker considering I am not a very sedate driver)

I have time till Monday to hand over the X1 to dear BIL..
WAF (wife acceptability factor) on the upgrade is neutral rather than negative given the trigger point is the BIL so I am kind of keen to bite the bullet on an upgrade

PS: The Baby Beemer has been a low maintenance, no niggles vehicle.. I am also kind of worried about the baby RR being a maintenance monster

Last edited by abhi182 : 26th March 2017 at 02:18.
abhi182 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 05:06   #55
BHPian

Default Re: Replacement for an X1 - Evoque or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
It's been a fabulous 4+ year journey with my Basanti on steroids

PS: The Baby Beemer has been a low maintenance, no niggles vehicle.. I am also kind of worried about the baby RR being a maintenance monster

Id not suggest you to buy the RR Evoque as the Evoque is something you buy out of pure desire. It is definitely not VFM, engine for that price range is mediocre at best and a few features are skimmed in the Indian specific model. The only reason id suggest anyone to buy the Evoque is simply because the lure is too strong to fight. So unless you are completely bowled over by it, its better to save and invest if possible.

A 530d would be much more fun to drive and own but GC could be a problem, but if it isn't, TD it straight away. Or the new E class. Budget permitting, its the best sedan on our market at the moment. Or the A6 can be had at good discounts and if i recall correctly its GC is rather high compared to the rivals. You may wanna check on this though.

All the SUV's in this budget range are definitely too big for your garage as you mentioned XUV is already a runner. If you do want a SUV, why dont you look at the baby AMG, GLA 43. It could be the perfect fit if you are willing to spend. A crossover to race around in. I quite like the car and it may interest you. Though the same logic would apply here. You only spend so much for this car because it has completely bowled you over. Pitting the RR Evoque against the GLA 43 is almost competing beauty with brawns. Do you wanna be pretty or tough? instead of nearly 70 or so on the Evoque, id prefer putting 90 in the GLA 43. You could find some older made models countrywide for discounts. How about the GLC? I'm not a fan but i know a few who've fallen in love with the car. You could get the Macan around 70 ex showroom.

If you haven't completely ruled out the bigger SUV's then the X3 is worth a look. Especially the 3 litre diesel pot. Budget allowing, X5 and GLE/GLS and Q7 are all good cars.

If i were you, id pick a sedan without doubt. A nice luxurious sedan to enjoy the ride. 5, E and the A6 are all above 50 OTR. So under this the S60, C-class and 3 series win. The 320 could be too similar to your X1, unless you prefer familiar id say look at the C-class. Or wait a few months, I'm sure you could get some 530d f10 which is the current gen in India at great discounts. A 530d is in my eyes the best fun behind wheels under 70 lakhs. The only reason i couldn't buy the XE was that the rear has poor legroom. If that doesn't bother you then its perhaps the best performing from the Germans and brits in that range. GC is simply something youll have to learn to cope with driving sedans.

I just remembered, the new Lexus is out. Go for the sedan if you are feeling adventurous. Its massively overpriced in my eyes but somehow i can see myself spending that much for it. Go figure eh

Cars in preference:
1. 530d/E350d
2. C-class/3 series/XE
3. Lexus Es 300
4. If you cant choose the bigger SUVs and still want a SUV, then Evoque it is.

Hope this helps
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 09:54   #56
Team-BHP Support

The Evoque simply doesn't give you that much more, for the amount you will spend to upgrade. Not to mention I don't think Range Rovers are as reliable as BMWs, and the after sales is not great either. Since you are happy with the X1 I have a few suggestions -

Look at the new X1 M sport - Its well loaded, with heads up display, m sport suspension (so the handling will be good), etc. Also I personally think it looks great with the M kit and wheels. This will definitely feel like an upgrade from your existing X1.

If you don't need the crossover look, check out the 3GT which is well loaded after the facelift. Its got a lot of space and a large boot, and isn't as low as the 3 series.

Don't rule out the X3, take it for a spin, especially the 30d and you will notice its very easy to drive in the city. And why not another slightly larger SUV? This model is due to be replaced sometime next year though.

Lastly, as mentioned, there are about 13-14l discounts on the 530d and if the 5 series works with you don't think twice and just pick up the 530d. Nothing more needs to be said about the car.

If you want to move away from the brand, the GLC is something worth looking at. Its more spacious than the Evoque and has great interiors too.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 26th March 2017 at 09:56.
Akshay1234 is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 12:31   #57
BHPian

Quote:
If you don't need the crossover look, check out the 3GT which is well loaded after the facelift. Its got a lot of space and a large boot, and isn't as low as the 3 series.
I will - have got nothing against sedans nor any major love for x-overs, just that premium sedans tend to be low slung making them something that needs to be mollycoddled on the ridiculous breakers that abound all around Pune town.
Although the GT does seem to be raised more than the regular variants
Quote:
It is definitely not VFM, engine for that price range is mediocre at best and a few features are skimmed in the Indian specific model.
The RR is in the consideration set because of some good discounts available on the pre Ingenium 2016 models
I am looking at the middle variant that seems to have most of the goodies (except auto recirculation)
abhi182 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 09:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

If you can snag a GLA45 AMG, that would easily be the best deal in that range for a small crossover. When I checked last, Merc was willing to offer around 5 off on the previous year models since the GLA is a slow seller.

As for the JLR stable in India, the less said about service the better. Apparently the issues are institutional and even if the service guys themselves wish to help the customer, they are bound by some idiotic rules made by higher ups. Also to add to that the fact that JLR will definitely break down more than the germans, it simply isn't worth the hassle.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 14:46   #59
BHPian

The AMG would unfortunately be a depreciation disaster
Coming to TDs, I checked the q3 which is coming at a good price but doesn't seem to offer much over the current vehicle

The q5 had a nice cosseting ride and can get a great deal on it but it would be a budget stretch for something that isn't terribly appealing either (+the same engine for a bigger/heavier car)

Also saw the GLC but for some odd reason, Mercs fail to appeal to me at all

Would not mind switching for the new X1 xdrive but the pricing is coming to quite a bit over the q3..

Probably the most sensible buy at the moment is the q3 quattro but am waiting for the final quote on the RR before taking a call
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 16:03   #60
BHPian

The confusion continues - Test drove the new xdrive x1 xline which I got to say came across as far better than the Q3 and the Evoque on almost every parameter

The only thing better with the evoque was the quality of the interiors and of course the external looks (and the off road capabilities which I will in all likelihood never ever use)

The new X1 however wins on the power delivery, handling , interior space , sunroof (the RR has a fixed moonroof) and the panel ergonomics (Why would the RR use a touchscreen instead of a controller is totally beyond me)

However, the idea of spending all the extra moolah to get what appears to be the same car has been met with a very strong note of disapproval from the powers that be ..
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote