Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2016, 11:23   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,038
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Good choice there. The Discovery Sport serves most purpose well and is pretty comfortable. But, make sure you get the higher BHP variant as the lower BHP variant feels too slow and that power doesn't doesn't fell adequate for that big a car.

Just curious. Did you consider the Volvo XC60? Its a really nice car and I personally love it. It would be my pick in that price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Well - it is really a head Vs heart situation when it comes to the Evoque Vs DS topic. Another significant strength of the DS - which may or may not be relevant to many buyers - is its off-roading ability. The review below 5th Gear sums it up pretty well.

Which engine option did the test cars have ? The new 2 Ltr ingenium diesel has high and low hp variants. Did the Evoque and the DS sport test cars that you tried have the same output - if not that may explain any significant lack of pep in the DS.
The Evoque has the same 177 Bhp engine for all variants. Also the SE variant in Evoque is well loaded and it seems VFM and there's no need to go for the HSE variant or Pure variants. Pure is bare bones with no signature LED lights even.

The Disco variants are more confusing and senseless. The first 3 variants the Pure , SE and HSE have the underpowered 147 Bhp engine. Only the HSE luxury has the 177 Bhp engine. Unlike the Evoque, in Disco the first 2 variants are useless i.e the Pure and SE as they don't come well equipped. They are both bare bones. The HSE variant is decent but it's still expensive and has the lower powered engine.

The SUV's they bought for the test drive were both the HSE luxury variant. Also while the engine in the Evoque seemed potent, the same engine in the DS just seemed ok. I think it was because of the weight of the DS. So I guess the lower powered engine on the Disco will be very poor.

I guess JLR will launch the new Ingenium engines soon as it's more refined and more frugal compared to the current ones.

Also during the test drive I heard some rattling noises in the Disco. I later searched online and accidentally stumbled on the below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-service.html (Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor service)

We later spoke to some Range Rover owners in other cities and no ones really happy with their service centers. Plus we have to travel 650 Kms to service our car. Now we are having second thoughts on this and planning to consider MB and even Volvo, hopefully their After sales is better.

Is the Volvo XC 60 spacious ?
stanjohn123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 11:44   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Agree with you. In the least the DS 3rd variant, HSE should certainly have been equipped with the bigger engine.

Now just because the other variants are underpowered one is forced to go for the highest variant which comes to around 80 L OTR in city like Bangalore.

Also the much anticipated and excellent ingenium engines are not expected either in vogue or DS until at least next year according to the dealer, due to the huge demand for them in the western market.

At this price, the appeal for DS, starts becoming questionable, what with poor service and issues in maintainence to be considerations.

My close friend who had almost finalised the highest variant of DS, considering all the above, quickly changed his mind and went for MB GLE 250 4Matic. Suddenly the expensive GLE starts to make sense coming as it does under 75 L on road.

The X3 M sport too is exactly priced at this range, but in my opinion, is a generation behind the GLE, in terms of level of equipment and technology loaded.

Last edited by sumeet007 : 15th January 2016 at 11:48.
sumeet007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 12:53   #48
BHPian
 
amansanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oestrich-Winkel
Posts: 400
Thanked: 566 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post

We later spoke to some Range Rover owners in other cities and no ones really happy with their service centers. Plus we have to travel 650 Kms to service our car. Now we are having second thoughts on this and planning to consider MB and even Volvo, hopefully their After sales is better.

Is the Volvo XC 60 spacious ?
The Volvo XC60 is reasonably spacious. Although not as spacious as the Discovery Sport, it is definitely more spacious than the Evoque. Also, it is very well loaded. The best part is that it is the only car in the segment which is imported as a CBU while the others are imported as CKD kits. Fit and finish of a CBU is definitely better. If you want to have a bit more sense of space, opt for lighter interiors colours to add that feeling of roominess.
amansanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 13:06   #49
BHPian
 
shreyak_ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Meerut
Posts: 168
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

The JLR horror stories are indeed true. Their service support is pathetic in our country from what I have heard of. Service centre being 650kms away is itself a matter of concern. I would advise you not to take a risk and should go for the Mercedes GLE, which is one of the spacious and comfortable SUVs in this range. You should also have a look at the BMW X3 and Volvo XC60.
shreyak_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 14:05   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,038
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post

Now just because the other variants are underpowered one is forced to go for the highest variant which comes to around 80 L OTR in city like Bangalore.

At this price, the appeal for DS, starts becoming questionable, what with poor service and issues in maintainence to be considerations.

My close friend who had almost finalised the highest variant of DS, considering all the above, quickly changed his mind and went for MB GLE 250 4Matic. Suddenly the expensive GLE starts to make sense coming as it does under 75 L on road.

The X3 M sport too is exactly priced at this range, but in my opinion, is a generation behind the GLE, in terms of level of equipment and technology loaded.
Yes you're very right. The most desirable variants push the price to the next segment SUV's, so it's much better to see the next segment.

Going to check out the GLE and the much touted XC90 also comes into contention now. If XC60 is spacious can check it out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
The Volvo XC60 is reasonably spacious. Although not as spacious as the Discovery Sport, it is definitely more spacious than the Evoque.
Can the XC60 seat 7 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
The JLR horror stories are indeed true. Their service support is pathetic in our country from what I have heard of. Service centre being 650kms away is itself a matter of concern. I would advise you not to take a risk and should go for the Mercedes GLE, which is one of the spacious and comfortable SUVs in this range. You should also have a look at the BMW X3 and Volvo XC60.
It's really sad. Can't believe we're hearing such stories at this day and age from luxurious marques such as JLR. It's top money we're paying and we expect the same in their service levels as well, is it so difficult for them to understand ?
stanjohn123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 14:12   #51
BHPian
 
amansanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oestrich-Winkel
Posts: 400
Thanked: 566 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post

Can the XC60 seat 7 ?
Nope. It doesn't get last row of seats. But then even the Discovery Sport gets it for namesake. Attaching a picture of me sitting in the last row (don't ask how I managed to get in ). The middle row couldn't be closed no matter how I sat. The seat is suitable only for kids under 12 years. They too would feel claustrophobic with the middle row seat in place!

Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3-img20151005wa0006.jpg
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 09:59   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 8 Times
Default X3 vs new x1 vs q3

Hi,

I have been looking to replace my petrol Laura for some time. We are a family of 3 and the car is going to be used for my daily commute to office(self driven) with the occasional highway drives. Test drove the Q5 and X3. Q5 is luxurious but didnt really like the drive. The X3 2 ltr had a much better drive but still somehow felt the acceleration in my laura was better. Other issue is that the parking space at home is really tight for an X3. I am test driving the Q3 tomorrow. Does it make sense to go with the X3? Or I should wait for the new X1. Really liked the design but haven't seen the car in flesh. Navnit motors in Bangalore is saying that the launch is only on Apr 25th and deliveries will start by June. Also the 4% cess would apply on these new cars. Do give your suggestions.

Also, should I test drive the land rover discovery sport/evoque?

Thanks!
aravindrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 12:47   #53
BHPian
 
kkkkkaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 142
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

The evoque and disco sport are both wider than the X3. Im assuming that the x3 was too wide for your parking space, since the laura and x3 are of the same length.
The x3 and q5 are pretty much the same size, probably 1cm +- in each dimension.
In that case, if possible, wait for the new X1 to come, and then take a call.
kkkkkaran is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 12:25   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Test drove the Q3 yesterday. The acceleration was better than the X3 but rear space seemed lesser than my current Laura. Loaded with features compared to the current X1. I guess will have to wait for the X1 now. Does the new X1 come with AutoHold function? The sales guy doesn't seem to be sure about it.

Cheers
Aravind
aravindrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 08:53   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 2,281 Times
Default Re: X3 vs new x1 vs q3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindrn View Post
Hi,

I have been looking to replace my petrol Laura for some time. We are a family of 3 and the car is going to be used for my daily commute to office(self driven) with the occasional highway drives. Test drove the Q5 and X3. Q5 is luxurious but didnt really like the drive. The X3 2 ltr had a much better drive but still somehow felt the acceleration in my laura was better. Other issue is that the parking space at home is really tight for an X3. I am test driving the Q3 tomorrow. Does it make sense to go with the X3? Or I should wait for the new X1. Really liked the design but haven't seen the car in flesh. Navnit motors in Bangalore is saying that the launch is only on Apr 25th and deliveries will start by June. Also the 4% cess would apply on these new cars. Do give your suggestions.

Also, should I test drive the land rover discovery sport/evoque?

Thanks!
I replaced a Laura TSI with a BMW X3 30d recently. I had the same problem, the X3 2.0 was not quick enough. The X3 is a fair bit wider than the Laura, so if you have a tight parking space it could be an issue. But I am not sure that widthwise its too different from the Q3 and Q5. If interior space is not a criterion, then Q3 is a good choice as it is quite compact.

Coming to the X1, the new model is a big improvement compared to the old X1 in many areas but is a step down in others. Spacewise its almost equal to the X3. But where it differs from X3 is, X drive, adaptive dampers and transmission. X1 is based on a FWD Mini platform and is FWD with on demand 4WD, whereas X3 is all time 4WD with an RWD bias. X3 also gets adaptive dampers with different drving mode that alters suspension stiffness based on settings. The X1 misses out on this. The X3 comes with an 8 speed ZF transmission whereas the X1 comes with an 8 speed Aisin transmission.

Here's an interesting article comparing the X3 and X1 http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/08/07/wh...-bmw-x1-or-x3/
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 14:35   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: X3 vs new x1 vs q3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I replaced a Laura TSI with a BMW X3 30d recently. I had the same problem, the X3 2.0 was not quick enough. The X3 is a fair bit wider than the Laura, so if you have a tight parking space it could be an issue. But I am not sure that widthwise its too different from the Q3 and Q5. If interior space is not a criterion, then Q3 is a good choice as it is quite compact.

Coming to the X1, the new model is a big improvement compared to the old X1 in many areas but is a step down in others. Spacewise its almost equal to the X3. But where it differs from X3 is, X drive, adaptive dampers and transmission. X1 is based on a FWD Mini platform and is FWD with on demand 4WD, whereas X3 is all time 4WD with an RWD bias. X3 also gets adaptive dampers with different drving mode that alters suspension stiffness based on settings. The X1 misses out on this. The X3 comes with an 8 speed ZF transmission whereas the X1 comes with an 8 speed Aisin transmission.

Here's an interesting article comparing the X3 and X1 http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/08/07/wh...-bmw-x1-or-x3/
Thanks for the info Santosh. Your thread on the X3 is outstanding. Would love to own that beauty, but it's way out of my budget. Waiting for the launch and test drive of the X1. The sales guys at Navnit don't seem to have much info about the differences between the M Sport and othe Xline version of the new X1. I guess probably their training is not yet over.

Cheers,
Aravind
aravindrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 21:25   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,533
Thanked: 5,566 Times
Default Re: X3 vs new x1 vs q3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindrn View Post
Thanks for the info Santosh. Your thread on the X3 is outstanding. Would love to own that beauty, but it's way out of my budget. Waiting for the launch and test drive of the X1. The sales guys at Navnit don't seem to have much info about the differences between the M Sport and othe Xline version of the new X1. I guess probably their training is not yet over.

Cheers,
Aravind
The BMW website has the spec sheet. You can see there what the differences are. But mainly its the M sport bits, sport seats, heads up display, m sport suspension.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 21:55   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Had to pass up the X3 30D discussed earlier as I could not get a satisfactory reply to the VIN number discrepancy and the owner was unwilling to come down on price even a bit (After I proved the manufacturing date made the car 5 year old now, instead of the 3 as advertised).

Now there is a new baby on offer. A brilliant blue 2015 X3 with 11K run for 54 lakhs.

Car is in excellent shape on first inspection, and kelly's Indian blue book gives a fair price of 42L for excellently maintained vehicle.

Is that a good price? 43L is the offer I have made now. there is no BSI pack on the car.
Hope to finalise if he accepts the offer.
sumeet007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016, 10:15   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post
e car.
Hope to finalise if he accepts the offer.
Sumeet,

Any update on this?

Cheers,
Aravind
aravindrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016, 17:21   #60
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,577
Thanked: 8,398 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Was chattling with an ex JLR service advisor today. He told me that the Discovery Sport has been chewing braking pads every 5000km

Last edited by ajmat : 13th April 2016 at 19:24.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-owned car dilemma with a budget of Rs 20 lacs Krish1771 Luxury, Imports & Niche 26 6th August 2012 15:02
Pre-owned Optra / Pre-owned Accent CRDi / New Tata Indigo ashthedivx Sedans 15 24th February 2007 14:03
pre-owned Baleno vs pre-owned Accent vs ikon flair rohantn Sedans 36 16th February 2007 20:27
pre-owned Wagon R or pre-owned Bolero - pls advice rohantn Hatchbacks 26 7th February 2007 17:02
Pre-owned Ford mondeo vs Pre-owned Skoda octavia azifali Sedans 6 24th July 2006 13:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks