Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 13th September 2006, 20:12   #1

First of all let me introduce myself.. I'm a big fan of team-bhp and I really appreciate the great job that you all do.. I usually prefer reading the posts, because of which I haven't written any of them myself. If you've got the time, there is one choice that you all have got to help me with.. I currently own a 2001 C200 CDI (W203), with factory alloys & CD-Changer, Xenon Headlamps, leather, In-dash DVD etc. After having bought the car for about 26 lacs here in Bangalore, I've spent another 4 lacs for all the extra kit. Even though there is nothing wrong with it despite the many quality issues that other DCIL customers are facing, I've been thinking on an upgrade after looking at the depreciation figures.. This is where I need some advice.
I could go to the Mercedes-Benz dealership here (Sundaram Motors) and ask for an upgrade to an E280CDI, which is a good option with that superb motor. But, there were rumours that there still are quality problems even now with the E-Class, because of which I need some serious convincing on buying a Mercedes-Benz again. And also between the A6 3.0TDI Quattro and the BMW 530d, please let me know which of these are better in terms of the price we pay and the equipment we get. I don't have any problems with the dealerships, as they're both ten mins away from my home.. Is the A6 better or the 5-Series? Do we get stuff like Xenon headlamps standard with both, as in the E280? I need to buy the better car with better build quality which would last me a long time, as I want to keep this car for a long period..
Price wise, I've taken quotes from all the dealers, with the E280CDI costing approx. 52lacs, the A6 3.0 TDI Quattro 58lacs and the 530d slightly more than that.. So, in terms of pricing, the E-Class has a huge advantage..
Please help me decide and thanks for your time..
kimiraikkonen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 20:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow a dream what car,the stuff of dreams.I hope team bhp would be of help to you

Before anything would like a little more details with regard to exactly what you are looking for in the car.Are you going to drive occasionally,do you love driving.Would it be driven on the highways,not so good roads...

But by thumb rule

Bmw is the drivers car.
Audi is if you are looking for luxury
And mercedes-benz advantage is that they are already well established in India and have a larger dealer ,service network

But really would like some more details from your side before anyone can make a call regarding the best car for you.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 20:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

I havent driven the diesels, but I've had the occassion to drive and compare some of the petrol versions in this segment (E-Class, 5 Series, A6) and my PERSONAL feeling has been that the new Audis are better than the Beemers and the Mercs in the same segment. They are more all-round cars than the other two and make you FEEL better and in this segment its all about FEELING.

I have no idea how their respective diesel engines fare against each other, but the E270 was a pretty decent bomb and I believe the E280 takes that a few levels higher.

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th September 2006 at 20:44.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 20:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Although this is an australian website you should try it out.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=10746
Old 13th September 2006, 21:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
my PERSONAL feeling has been that the new Audis are better than the Beemers and the Mercs in the same segment. They are more all-round cars than the other two and make you FEEL better and in this segment its all about FEELING.
Same feeling here too, Audi A6 is the best all-rounder which is why it seems to be getting the best car award in its segment in almost all markets it sells in.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 13th September 2006 at 21:07.
Old 13th September 2006, 21:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have never sat in an audi a6 but one negative point mentioned against the car is that there is lack of room in the rear for a big car.
Old 13th September 2006, 21:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Here is a video comparing the three cars only the mercedes is not the E280 but the E 320

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 13th September 2006 at 21:35.
Old 13th September 2006, 22:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Kim,
You are sailing in the same boat as me....I have the same dilemma and have posted a similar thread a whille back...cant find it now but you can probably bring it up in the forum database somewhere.

I looove the E280 for it's engine but the interior space is too cramped, I too owned a C-class and find barely any increase in interiors with the E. Thats the only thing stopping me to buy the E.

The A6...what can i say about this, if first impression is the last impression then this goes flying out of the window. They sent a test car to my house and the AC system failed !It was a brand new A6. I dont think its worth the price too.

The 5 series, now this is what i have finally set my mind on! But i am gonna wait another 6 months until its launched here locally. The 110% import duty really messes everything up if you want one now.

Final piece of advice, get the 5 series when its launched,its worth the wait.

Last edited by Sahil : 13th September 2006 at 22:40.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 00:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Whatever you do, please get your car to the next TBHP meet!
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 00:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would agree with Sahil here. Wait for the launch of the 5 in 2007 and then buy one since then because of the local assembly the price would be comparable to the E. And IMHO it's a great driver's car, much better than the E or A6.

And as for the looks which some people do not like I think that in darker colours with 17" or above wheels the 5-series really looks smashing! And just to remind you the 3.0 Diesel is also a great, highly acclaimed & powerful engine. Wish they would get the 535d though *sigh*
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 00:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

A beemer,anyday!!!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 01:40   #12
BHPian

I have personally driven the BMW 530D from bangalore to cochin and I will definitely say its a rocket. The motor is astonishingly powerful and its amazingly refined as well. You need to drive it to believe it rather than me writing . Believe me, E 270 was considered powerful by me,(I havent driven the E280) but after having driven the beemer for so long there is no better diesel in India at the moment...It smokes Mercedes in all levels...But at a price.
CaliforniaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 03:41   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Just to add.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen77
Do we get stuff like Xenon headlamps standard with both, as in the E280? I need to buy the better car with better build quality which would last me a long time, as I want to keep this car for a long period..
Price wise, I've taken quotes from all the dealers, with the E280CDI costing approx. 52lacs
The E-class does NOT come with Xenons, nor do the others. Xenon is optional on the A6 and 5.
The price qoute you have got for the E-class is quite high. Check with a few more showrooms and check bombay prices too before you decide.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 09:40   #14
Team-BHP Support

all great cars

Merc - best value and has best A.S.S. Quality issues have been resolved. If you travel out of town - you are covered reasonably
Audi - good car but I beleive A/c is not as good - FWD orientation means it has the best space. Quattro not much use unless you drive in snow. Traction control etc will suffice. Also you can wear differentials out if you have uneven wear on your tyres. Dealer network is very new. Worth considering if you lurk around Bangalore although a freindly skoda dealership could help in an emergency but we have heard a lot about SKoda A.S.S elsewhere!!! There are mixed experiences about audi's in the long term re electrics. Also heavy engine + fwd on rough roads is an issue

BMW - best drivers car but those low profile tyres could jiggle you. Not sure how optimised for India. Another issue is that the turbo's do not last long if driven brutally (feedback from some friends in the UK) ...unless one simmers the engine before stopping

For a safe bet - go for the Merc. If heart rules the head - go for the BMW. Am not sure re: audi until the service aspect matures a bit more
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 10:00   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Merc - best value and has best A.S.S. Quality issues have been resolved. If you travel out of town - you are covered reasonably
I wouldnt agree with that. Someone from my wifes side has the E200K (which was on the lonavla drive report) and it has been plagued with electronic gremlins.

You appear to be an enthusiast, and the E Class has a very boring automatic. Its not a responsive slush box at all.....refined yes, but does not support enthusiastic driving.

Quote:
Even though there is nothing wrong with it despite the many quality issues that other DCIL customers are facing, I've been thinking on an upgrade after looking at the depreciation figures..
Unless you buy before Sept 30, the next time to avail of depreciation benefits will be after a couple of months. Time in which the BMW 5 series could be officially launched. And with a manual gearbox? You already have the C200 CDI, so I dont think you are in a hurry either.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote