Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2016, 08:38   #76
BHPian
 
blacknebula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 60
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
Does anyone know the discounts offered on 320i luxury line?
Bird is offering a 7lac discount on 320i. Go check it out.
blacknebula is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 12:07   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 94
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknebula View Post
Bird is offering a 7lac discount on 320i. Go check it out.
Thanks. I already bought luxury line 320i. Wonderful experience with the car.
Fstlndrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 12:29   #78
BHPian
 
blacknebula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 60
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
Thanks. I already bought luxury line 320i. Wonderful experience with the car.
Congratulations. Have you started a separate ownership thread ? Would love to follow. I am in the research phase as of now, waiting for the new A4 to launch on 9th Sep. Confused between going for a new car or a pre owned 5 series .
blacknebula is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 12:46   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 94
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknebula View Post
Congratulations. Have you started a separate ownership thread ? Would love to follow. I am in the research phase as of now, waiting for the new A4 to launch on 9th Sep. Confused between going for a new car or a pre owned 5 series .
Thank you. I started the ownership thread in assembly line, but could not finish due to my tight schedule, and will complete soon. As I have read the reviews of new A4, the car is fantastic, but highway drives might not be fun (as 2.0 liter TFSI) and it is a front wheel drive. With my 1000 km experience with the 320i, it is fun to drive; Super silent engine; 328i would be better, but in Delhi traffic 320i or 328i doesn't make any difference. For highways, 320i is not bad at all; drive in Sports mode is superb for highway drive. In city drive the fuel efficiency is above 10 kmpl (with speed 97). The engine feels as if it is NA although it is turbo, and there is no turbo lag at all.

I really miss head-up display, rear-view camera and comfort access. Otherwise it is wonderful (rear wheel drive) car to drive.

If you can find a very good 2-3 year old pre-owned 5 series, it is worth to buy with extended warranty.

Last edited by Fstlndrive : 4th September 2016 at 12:52.
Fstlndrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 22:29   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 26
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Fellow BHPians --

Hello, I have been following this thread for a couple of weeks now. I am planning to take a 320i and am from Hyderabad. Since there is no test drive vehicle, I was offered to test drive 320d Luxury line, and the sales person was, in fact, suggesting me to consider 320d than 320i and that he would be able to accommodate a better discount than the petrol version. However, my usage does not require diesel since my daily usage will be less than 40 km with a weekend run of 100 Kms or so, that puts my usage to ~ 1000 Km max a month. That said, given that torque and power output are better than petrol, somehow am kind of not able to decide between petrol or diesel.

In a related note, I also would like your suggestion or opinion on the following. I somehow felt the egress was little uncomfortable given the very low seating, and ground clearance of 157 mm is worrisome too given the pot holes and "whimsical" speed breakers in the Kukatpally neighbourhood. Please let me know if low height seating and ground clearance can be ignored given that am to shell out 40+ lacs. I also intend to keep the car with me for at least five yrs if not less.

Also, I am still waiting on the assembly thread comprehensive review of 320i on Teambhp, I hope couple of new owners share their experience here.

Thank you

~ PGopkrsna
__________________________________________________ _____________
Hyundai Verna SX CRDI 2010; Amaze Petrol SMT 2013; RE C500; Aprila SR 150
PGopkrsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 23:30   #81
BHPian
 
mijnoirhammer67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: -
Posts: 79
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGopkrsna View Post
Fellow BHPians --

Hello, I have been following this thread for a couple of weeks now. I am planning to take a 320i and am from Hyderabad. Since there is no test drive vehicle, I was offered to test drive 320d Luxury line, and the sales person was, in fact, suggesting me to consider 320d than 320i and that he would be able to accommodate a better discount than the petrol version. However, my usage does not require diesel since my daily usage will be less than 40 km with a weekend run of 100 Kms or so, that puts my usage to ~ 1000 Km max a month. That said, given that torque and power output are better than petrol, somehow am kind of not able to decide between petrol or diesel.

In a related note, I also would like your suggestion or opinion on the following. I somehow felt the egress was little uncomfortable given the very low seating, and ground clearance of 157 mm is worrisome too given the pot holes and "whimsical" speed breakers in the Kukatpally neighbourhood. Please let me know if low height seating and ground clearance can be ignored given that am to shell out 40+ lacs. I also intend to keep the car with me for at least five yrs if not less.

Also, I am still waiting on the assembly thread comprehensive review of 320i on Teambhp, I hope couple of new owners share their experience here.

Thank you

~ PGopkrsna
__________________________________________________ _____________
Hyundai Verna SX CRDI 2010; Amaze Petrol SMT 2013; RE C500; Aprila SR 150
Well i have driven the 3 a few times and i own the 5 series. It too has the same ground clearance and I have no problems what so ever tackling speedbrakers and potholes. Especially after this dreadful rainy season, a lot of pot holes have gotten bigger and new ones have come up. My 5 seems to tackle it well if taken slowly and carefully. I have only managed to scrape it a little from the bottom side when i took it quickly over a braker. So i see you facing no problem with the shorter 3's ground clearance.
As for the petrol v diesel conundrum, id say go for the diesel. Im a big fan of petrol myself, but why I'm advising the diesel is you said you project a 5 year ownership so i guess the 320d will sell probably 1 or 2 or maybe even 5 lakhs more than the 320i when you put it back into the market. Plus the BMW 2 litre diesel is a tried and tested pot and works splendidly well. Do look at some TD reviews from autocar, motoroids, motorbeam, rushlane and other sites for the petrol engine. There are review up, but personally speaking i don't trust all these reviews. You are the best judge of your prospective car, so push hard for a TD and ask them to arrange one for you and only then will you buy it. If you got travel planned up, call the location dealer(s) and ask them for a TD.

As for the salesperson, take everything with a pinch of salt. As far as i know, the 320i comes only through the CBU route. Thus giving less room for negotiation. Plus he gets a chance to clear out his stock and earn some profit on it. All salesperson have a fixed bonus on a car sold and these guys too get offers when they are told to clear out stock. So check the VIN number when you do buy it but since the LCI is out and generally speaking these brands are regularly sold even after a year of production. I don't guess its much of a problem. But if it does happen to be an older model, you can expect discounts. Do note the 320i has only luxury line as a top model whereas the diesel has the M sport version as a top model. Im not too sure on the features, but the M sport steering, HUD, sports seat are all unavailable on the luxury line models. None of these two trims have a rear view camera though.

You are probably facing the 3 is seated low cause you are probably used to driving the Verna and Amaze which both are higher seated. But 157mm ground clearance is enough. My feel is anything below 135mm can be difficult to maintain, but people drive supercars in our country too. So if taken slowly and carefully, your hopefully new 3 series shall sail smoothly over any brakers and potholes you challenge it with. Alternatively look at the C class. It is a good car, but the petrol aint that special. The C250d on the other hand is a different beast altogether.

Happy hunting
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 00:36   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,135
Thanked: 644 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddndrive View Post
However, I believe that if you are to drive the car yourself, there is no better driver's car in this price currently in India .
Hey, as an owner of a 3 GT diesel, I'm just curious, what kind of FE does the 320i give in city traffic. Thanks
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 07:21   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 26
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Thank you, mijnoirhammer67 for the insights. I have one more question now given you have recommended Diesel option. I have been doing some research on catalytic converters (CC) on diesel engines, particularly in this case on the 320d, my understanding is that for a CC to work efficiently on the diesel machine, the engine should sufficiently rise to a high temperature for the soot to be worked upon. In fact, it is also mentioned that CC could be counter productive to the engine, regarding a loss of power, reduced fuel efficiency, etc. Please advise on this as well, since my daily run will not be more than 20 Km to be exact since I have a very short commute to the office.

One other motivation for considering petrol is the festival discount on 320i, it now starts at 31 lacs, at least that is what I see when I do a google search on 320i and mycarhelpline also reflects the same message.

Please advise.

~ PGopkrsna
__________________________________________________ ______________
Hyundai Verna SX CRDI 2010; Amaze Petrol SMT 2013; RE C500; Aprila SR 150
PGopkrsna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 12:51   #84
BHPian
 
mijnoirhammer67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: -
Posts: 79
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGopkrsna View Post
Thank you, mijnoirhammer67 for the insights. I have one more question now given you have recommended Diesel option. I have been doing some research on catalytic converters (CC) on diesel engines, particularly in this case on the 320d, my understanding is that for a CC to work efficiently on the diesel machine, the engine should sufficiently rise to a high temperature for the soot to be worked upon. In fact, it is also mentioned that CC could be counter productive to the engine, regarding a loss of power, reduced fuel efficiency, etc. Please advise on this as well, since my daily run will not be more than 20 Km to be exact since I have a very short commute to the office.

One other motivation for considering petrol is the festival discount on 320i, it now starts at 31 lacs, at least that is what I see when I do a google search on 320i and mycarhelpline also reflects the same message.

Please advise.

~ PGopkrsna
__________________________________________________ ______________
Hyundai Verna SX CRDI 2010; Amaze Petrol SMT 2013; RE C500; Aprila SR 150

To my understanding cars are fitted with catalytic converters and diesel cars have the diesel oxidation unit which is pretty basic but does its job. All it releases from its reaction is some CO2 gas and probably some water residue or water in gaseous form. So keep it stock and don't remove/add anything. I would highly advice agaisnt doing any technical aftermarket mods for the time being, at least 2 years. A lot of R&D budget and time is spent into these cars, they are all equipped for a sedate short drive and a rash crazy long drive. So worry less on the CC. As for the engine temperature, its upto optimum temperature after 1 to 5 kms of driving. If you are okay with the missing features on the 320i luxury line as compared to the 320d M sport, you haven't really mentioned which trim you are option for, then go for it. I've driven the 120i in the UK and it seemed okay to me. Though the 120i and 320i are completely different in terms of weight, suspension tweaks, body size etc. I don't advice you or anyone to buy a car without a TD. Cause once the car leaves the showroom, its all on you. They won't take it back or help you out.

I have two 3 litre diesel BMW's in my house, and they barely run 10 kms on a daily basis. One is relatively new and one is three years old. My office is right downstairs, 10 steps from my building and the only daily chore my car runs on is the morning visit to the temple. Besides this, if i have an errand to run or my dad does, then the cars come to play or else I'm normally chauffeured around. So Ive faced no problems yet, its all smooth running. So i don't see you facing any problems with a diesel pot running low on kms. But if you are that keen on a petrol, call your SR and ask him where and when you can get a TD of the 320i. If he says its available in Bangalore or delhi or wherever, id say fly to the city and TD the car. All these cars aint cheap man, 40 lakhs is a hell a lot of money. If you have to spend 20,000 in travel and stay, then do it. But call the dealer you plan to visit and tell him your exact plans so he doesn't goof it up and make you stay another day cause he forgot. SR's are notorious with the times every now and then.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 14:03   #85
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 26
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Thank you, mijnoirhammer67. I test drove the 320d luxury line but not the 320i as it isn't available for TD. I am working with Kun Exclusive on this one, I will ask for a TD of 320i and will not buy it until I test drive it. I also plan to visit the Mahavir Merc dealer to check out the c250d. May be I will also try the 320d M series too to see how does it feel. Thanks again.
PGopkrsna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 21:03   #86
BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 499
Thanked: 465 Times
Default BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Guys, would the C250 D makes sense over the 320d ? Test drove the car on Monday and liked the power and the new Merc 9 speed Auto. There is hardly any price difference post discounts between the luxury line and the C 250.
Loved the interiors as well. The specs on the C 250 D.

204 BHP, 500 nm touque, 9 speed auto, drive select , panoramic sun roof , ambient lighting , full adaptive led lights, parktronic.

Pretty loaded compared to the BMW.

Let me know your thoughts.
Arjun Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 21:42   #87
BHPian
 
mijnoirhammer67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: -
Posts: 79
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Guys, would the C250 D makes sense over the 320d ? Test drove the car on Monday and liked the power and the new Merc 9 speed Auto. There is hardly any price difference post discounts between the luxury line and the C 250.
Loved the interiors as well. The specs on the C 250 D.

204 BHP, 500 nm touque, 9 speed auto, drive select , panoramic sun roof , ambient lighting , full adaptive led lights, parktronic.

Pretty loaded compared to the BMW.

Let me know your thoughts.
The C-class has rear view cameras which i think is a major selling/buying point. Ive never driven the C250d but have driven the 320d. If you were able to TD it, why don't you TD the 320d as well? In fact call them both over together, it'll be easier to understand and comprehend which car is suitable for you. The C vs the 3 war will wage on where loyalists from each side will give you points over the other. I personally detest the way the C class looks and absolutely love the 3 look, but the figures are non negligible for me. Even more so with the fact that the 3 doesn't have rear view camera. About the gearbox, the ZF unit in the 3 is used by all Bimmers, Rolls Royce's, Aston Martins, Jaguar, Alfa romeo among others. So don't be so quick to judge whether the 9 speed auto is better than the ZF 8 speed box. I think a fellow named Karan651 reviewed the 3 and did a splendid SWOT analysis earlier this year upon the LCI launch. Look out for pointers there. To the best of my knowledge it doesn't have a rear view camera and that just kills it for me. So id pick the C250d. But once again i must stress you should TD them back to back so you get the proper feel. These cars all depend on personal taste.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-analysis.html (Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!) This is Karans review of the LCI 3 series. Check it out.

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 22nd September 2016 at 22:03.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 21:56   #88
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 94
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hey, as an owner of a 3 GT diesel, I'm just curious, what kind of FE does the 320i give in city traffic. Thanks
I filled the tanks for 4 times now. All city drive.

Ecopro - 13 kmpl (average speed around 30 km/h, Morning commute takes 35 min. for 15 kms); 10 kmpl (average speed around 15 kmph, evening commute - mostly bumper to bumper traffic, takes 1h 10 min for 15 kms)
Overall fuel efficiency - 10.8 km/l.

Comfort mode - Gives 1 km/l less than the Ecopro. No hard accelerations.

Petrol used: Speed 97.
Fstlndrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 22:13   #89
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 94
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGopkrsna View Post
I test drove the 320d luxury line but not the 320i as it isn't available for TD. I am working with Kun Exclusive on this one, I will ask for a TD of 320i and will not buy it until I test drive it. I also plan to visit the Mahavir Merc dealer to check out the c250d. May be I will also try the 320d M series too to see how does it feel. Thanks again.
Since 320i is CBU, dealers may not have the test drive vehicle. But if you can drive before buying, you will really feel the difference in petrol, the engine has no turbo lag and drives like NA. Recently I took a test drive C220d for my friend. It also drives good and had no turbo lag. But the engine of 320i is very silent compared to diesels. I really enjoy driving 320i daily. Merc has more features that are missed in BMW 320. For example, Autopark - The SA demonstrated, it is amazing. Autohold is another nice feature. Reverse camera is also good. Unfortunately, I didn't like too many buttons and their placements in Merc, compared to BMW. Merc doesn't have navigation, optional SD card Rs. 50,000.

Last edited by Fstlndrive : 22nd September 2016 at 22:16.
Fstlndrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 00:07   #90
BHPian
 
AdiSinghV12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BOM-CCU-DEL-PAT
Posts: 428
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Guys, would the C250 D makes sense over the 320d ? Test drove the car on Monday and liked the power and the new Merc 9 speed Auto. There is hardly any price difference post discounts between the luxury line and the C 250.
Loved the interiors as well. The specs on the C 250 D.

204 BHP, 500 nm touque, 9 speed auto, drive select , panoramic sun roof , ambient lighting , full adaptive led lights, parktronic.

Pretty loaded compared to the BMW.

Let me know your thoughts.
I strongly suggest you to drive both the cars extensively before taking a call. I have owned a 320d for 3 years and have driven the new C250 quite a bit, paper-figures apart I found the 320d a much-much more fun to drive car overall. Also, with the kind of service package BMW offers you can have complete peace of mind and literally enjoy her hard without any fears so considering all this my pick would be 320d if you love to rev hard, on the other hand Merc is better overall but the Bimmer clinches the comparison if it's just about fun-to-drive All the best!
AdiSinghV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preowned BMW 3 Series / X1 versus New Hyundai Elantra EDIT - Bought an X1 sharadmumbai Sedans 76 22nd September 2014 05:13
The ultimate sedan BMW 7 Series (730LD) : Edit - Now bought omaragra Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 74 8th October 2013 20:28
Safari Common Rail Engine Launch? EDIT 010805 Now driven. Edit 190805 Now BOUGHT!!! Steeroid The Indian Car Scene 277 13th July 2009 23:14
Budget of 30 Lakhs: should i wait till Jan? EDIT : Bought BMW 320i diki24 Luxury, Imports & Niche 111 3rd January 2009 09:16
AUDI A4 or BMW 320I Edit: Bought A4 2.0 TDi Ricky_63 Luxury, Imports & Niche 153 24th July 2008 18:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks