Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


View Poll Results: Which car to consider?
BMW X1 3 6.67%
Mercedes GLC 15 33.33%
BMW X3 8 17.78%
Mercedes GLE 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2016, 15:32   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 560
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

Hi Folks,

Someone I know is trying to chose between the BMW X1, X3, GLC and GLE. They are primarily chauffeur driven and expect to run between 3000-8000 Km per year. Since they are chauffeur driven 90% of the time, I think it makes sense to consider the 4 cylinder versions only. While their running would indicate Petrol to be the best option, it limits the cars they can consider.

The budget is flexible, but they don't know a lot about cars and are going to go with my suggestion, so there is a lot of pressure on me to make sure the decision is correct.

Apart from the fact that they are all pretty expensive, I found the C220 to be short on rear seat space and under thigh support. I was quite impressed with the way it drove. I think with the X3 due for replacement next year, it doesn't make too much sense to consider it. The X1 seems to be a good package but again short on rear seat space? The GLE will still be sold in the current avatar for 2-3 years so that may be a good option.
What sorts of discounts can be expected on these cars? I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Best Wishes

imp

Last edited by imp! : 10th December 2016 at 15:34.
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 15:41   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
cooldude1988765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,004
Thanked: 104 Times
Default re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

Since it is chauffeur driven I suggest you TD the BMW 3 GT. It has very good rear legroom if you can get over the ride comfort.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 15:53   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 560
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Since it is chauffeur driven I suggest you TD the BMW 3 GT. It has very good rear legroom if you can get over the ride comfort.
They would prefer an SUV and don't particularly like the 3 GT in any case.
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 16:04   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 38
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

If X3 is due for replacement, you will get a really good deal on the present version (expect Rs.8-10 lakhs discount easily). GLE is priced almost twice the C class / Audi / X1. I am not sure if X1 has petrol version.

I had checked Mercedes C220 CDI (not the avantgarde version) price last week in Pune and without negotiating, they made an offer of about Rs.44 lakhs on road. So for petrol version and with good negotiations, it should come to around 40-42 lakhs.

Also, why not consider Audi Q3 since it has good under thigh support and suspension is also great. Price wise, it should be cheaper than those you have listed (though you will have to buy a diesel version).
akshay81 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 16:59   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,715
Thanked: 2,477 Times
Default re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

For the Chauffeur driven, I'd imagine the Mercs to be a better bet. The GLE is quite large and should be spacious and comfy, but the GLC is newer and has new age Merc interiors which are really classy. The GLE on the other hand shows its age on the inside.

The X1 has poor underthigh support for the rear seats. The X3 is better in that respect and can be quite comfortable if one is not very tall. My 5'10" Dad finds the rear to be very comfy whereas I (6'2") don't like it too much due to lowish seat base and sightly knees up sitting position. Ride quality of the X3 is good and these days RFTs are not as harsh as before. Rear seats comfort of these SUV's are no match for sedans (same price range) IMHO.

If badge value is not of importance, the Innova Crysta with captain seats should be a good fit. And if SUV's are not a must, there are good deals to be had on E and 5.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 17:25   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 560
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
If X3 is due for replacement, you will get a really good deal on the present version (expect Rs.8-10 lakhs discount easily). GLE is priced almost twice the C class / Audi / X1. I am not sure if X1 has petrol version.

I had checked Mercedes C220 CDI (not the avantgarde version) price last week in Pune and without negotiating, they made an offer of about Rs.44 lakhs on road. So for petrol version and with good negotiations, it should come to around 40-42 lakhs.

Also, why not consider Audi Q3 since it has good under thigh support and suspension is also great. Price wise, it should be cheaper than those you have listed (though you will have to buy a diesel version).
Thanks Akshay. They haven't liked any of the Audi cars they have driven in, so aren't considering one. I'll let you know once we get an offer for the GLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
For the Chauffeur driven, I'd imagine the Mercs to be a better bet. The GLE is quite large and should be spacious and comfy, but the GLC is newer and has new age Merc interiors which are really classy. The GLE on the other hand shows its age on the inside.

The X1 has poor underthigh support for the rear seats. The X3 is better in that respect and can be quite comfortable if one is not very tall. My 5'10" Dad finds the rear to be very comfy whereas I (6'2") don't like it too much due to lowish seat base and sightly knees up sitting position. Ride quality of the X3 is good and these days RFTs are not as harsh as before. Rear seats comfort of these SUV's are no match for sedans (same price range) IMHO.

If badge value is not of importance, the Innova Crysta with captain seats should be a good fit. And if SUV's are not a must, there are good deals to be had on E and 5.
Thanks Santosh,

So far they are leaning to the GLC because it is newer, the GLE will only be considered if they can't live with the space of the GLE. They do tend to change cars every 3-5 years, and are keen on getting something that has been recently launched. I am pushing them to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years, this time they may actually take my advise.

We had considered the X3 when we bought our Pajero Sport. While the X3 is much more comfortable than the Paj, I wasn't too happy with the seating position of the rear seat and found the thigh support insufficient for my requirements. Unfortunately, the 530D is a dream car for me so everything I look at gets stacked against it, which isn't entirely fair! Congratulations on your X30D. For my friends however, it went to the bottom of the list when I told them a new one was expected next year. Same with the E and 5, although they may hold out for the new E if nothing satisfies them enough to buy this year. They already have an Innova Crysta so another one is out of question.

How much discount do you think I can negotiate on a Petrol GLC for them? Here too I am not entirely convinced they should buy a Petrol given the lack of mid range punch, but they are quite set on petrol if they have an option.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 17:52   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,715
Thanked: 2,477 Times
Default re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Thanks Santosh,

So far they are leaning to the GLC because it is newer, the GLE will only be considered if they can't live with the space of the GLE. They do tend to change cars every 3-5 years, and are keen on getting something that has been recently launched. I am pushing them to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years, this time they may actually take my advise.

We had considered the X3 when we bought our Pajero Sport. While the X3 is much more comfortable than the Paj, I wasn't too happy with the seating position of the rear seat and found the thigh support insufficient for my requirements. Unfortunately, the 530D is a dream car for me so everything I look at gets stacked against it, which isn't entirely fair! Congratulations on your X30D. For my friends however, it went to the bottom of the list when I told them a new one was expected next year. Same with the E and 5, although they may hold out for the new E if nothing satisfies them enough to buy this year. They already have an Innova Crysta so another one is out of question.

How much discount do you think I can negotiate on a Petrol GLC for them? Here too I am not entirely convinced they should buy a Petrol given the lack of mid range punch, but they are quite set on petrol if they have an option.
Oh the 530d. I still lust after it and hope some day I'll have it in my garage. I had to go for a crossover basically for family needs. In India low ground clearance restricts usage and if you carry a spacesaver, the boot gets highly compromised with the 530d. Most of our usage is me and dad driving up and down to Belgaum every month. And since we are self driven we are very comfy upfront in those lovely sports seats. Back seat comes into the picture for us during family trips only.

My advise is avoid the petrols. If they change cars frequently, petrol models will be a depreciation disaster.

If discounts on the X3 20d are same as what they were last year, you should be able to knock off about 8L to 10L from OTR in BLR. Discounts on the GLC should be lower. I am not familiar with Merc discount structures as I have never dealt with them.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 10th December 2016 at 18:00.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 18:38   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 560
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Oh the 530d. I still lust after it and hope some day I'll have it in my garage. I had to go for a crossover basically for family needs. In India low ground clearance restricts usage and if you carry a spacesaver, the boot gets highly compromised with the 530d. Most of our usage is me and dad driving up and down to Belgaum every month. And since we are self driven we are very comfy upfront in those lovely sports seats. Back seat comes into the picture for us during family trips only.

My advise is avoid the petrols. If they change cars frequently, petrol models will be a depreciation disaster.

If discounts on the X3 20d are same as what they were last year, you should be able to knock off about 8L to 10L from OTR in BLR. Discounts on the GLC should be lower. I am not familiar with Merc discount structures as I have never dealt with them.
Oh believe me I can understand your lust for the 530D. I have the exact same itch! My cars too tend to be based on family requirements.

We've been offered 2.5L off the GLC400 but I need to get more details about that deal. I'll discuss the X3 20 and see if there is any interest there
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 20:01   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 225
Thanked: 211 Times
Default re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

As a chauffeur driven car, the GLE may be the best bet. (Though the most expensive option). It will offer the most space in the second row of all the SUV's you listed.

You mentioned earlier that they did not like any Audi's, did they try the Q7 - Audi usually offers the highest discounts around the year end. Again it would be a good bet as a chauffeur driven car. The GLC is a little compact.
VellVector is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 09:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,579
Thanked: 3,476 Times
Default re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

I would recommend the GLC. Its new, and probably best suited as a chauffeur-driven option compared to the X1. The X3 even now looks very good, but due for replacement soon. And I would strike off the GLE. Except for the name, the car feels outdated.
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 10:51   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 560
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your inputs. The final decision was to go with the GLC, it felt newer and nicer than the GLE, the youngsters in my friends family liked the size and way it drove, although they did push hard to wait for the new E350 or 530D while the older generation liked the height, ease of ingress and egress. Most of the people who will sit in the rear seat agreed that they can live with the relatively low thigh support. Looks like they will close a deal on the GLC400 after negotiations.

Best Regards

imp
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 11:03   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,725
Thanked: 9,031 Times
Default re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your inputs. The final decision was to go with the GLC, it felt newer and nicer than the GLE, the youngsters in my friends family liked the size and way it drove, although they did push hard to wait for the new E350 or 530D while the older generation liked the height, ease of ingress and egress. Most of the people who will sit in the rear seat agreed that they can live with the relatively low thigh support. Looks like they will close a deal on the GLC400 after negotiations.

Best Regards

imp
You cant go wrong. The X3 is a great driving machine butmay not be optimum for the passenger. GLC is pretty well put together and a great all rounder. I cannot comment on the X1 though.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 17:24   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 560
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You cant go wrong. The X3 is a great driving machine butmay not be optimum for the passenger. GLC is pretty well put together and a great all rounder. I cannot comment on the X1 though.
Thanks Ajit. I completely agree with you. The X3 was looked at in the showroom and ruled out, The X1 was out of consideration very early into the test drive. Although, in all fairness, I probably would have taken a serious look at it again but the buyers weren't too happy with the rear seat and it just didn't feel premium enough.

The deal has been closed for the GLC300 (for some reason I thought the 400 tune was also available on it); I don't know if I'll ever be asked for help again because I have converted youngsters who were happy with the Toyota Innova and Honda City into out and out petrol heads by extolling the virtues of my dream 530D. They have now started on the older generation to allow them to buy either the E350 or the 530D at launch time!
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 06:20   #14
Newbie
 
HentaiDesi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Francisco/Nagoya
Posts: 25
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Thanks Ajit. I completely agree with you.

The deal has been closed for the GLC300 (for some reason I thought the 400 tune was also available on it); I don't know if I'll ever be asked for help again because I have converted youngsters who were happy with the Toyota Innova and Honda City into out and out petrol heads by extolling the virtues of my dream 530D. They have now started on the older generation to allow them to buy either the E350 or the 530D at launch time!
Good choice with the GLC and definitely upscale compared to X1 and X3

Does this come with a Panasonic sunroof and 19inch wheel? The interior is newer compared to GLE as well

What was the final discount you were offered?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th March 2017 at 07:34. Reason: fixed typo
HentaiDesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 07:49   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 305
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Debating between German SUVs: BMW (X1, X3) vs Mercedes (GLC, GLE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You cant go wrong. The X3 is a great driving machine butmay not be optimum for the passenger. GLC is pretty well put together and a great all rounder. I cannot comment on the X1 though.
Luxurious is the word.
X3 doesn't compare to being as luxurious as GLC.

For me, I'd prefer the X3 purely because of this fact. Rough around the corners with design and interiors. Well made and a very good driving machine.

For anything else, it is the GLC.

Out of context, are there ANY new Q5s in the market?
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class khan_sultan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 51 22nd July 2017 00:29
Upcoming Mercedes-Benz GLC (GLK replacement) spied testing Aditya The International Automotive Scene 24 27th June 2016 11:35
Mercedes imports GLC. EDIT: Launched at 50.70 lakhs Senna4Ever The Indian Car Scene 21 27th June 2016 11:35
Mercedes-Benz GLC Coupe spied (will rival BMW X4) karan561 The International Automotive Scene 1 27th August 2015 12:05
Debating between Verna AT and Corolla Altis MT Murugan Sedans 31 22nd January 2010 04:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks