Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 23rd November 2006, 17:00   #1
BHPian

Default 1996 E-Class

I was asked if I am interested in buying a 1996 model E Class (petrol) for around 4L. The car has done about 50,000kms. Though I have not seen the vehicle, I was assured that it is a decently maintained one.

If not anything, it sounded really interesting, but the obvious worry is about maintenance expenses.

What do you think about it? would it burn me down in a year if I go for it, or would it be a advisable to buy it, use it for a year and try to sell it for nearly the same amount?
GS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 19:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dude...dont even think about it... I have owned mercs and the maintainence is veryyyyyyyy expensive..
the price is the only thing that looks tempting..trust me..one service for a merc can cost you anything upwards 10,000 minimum.. also the car is a '96 model.. who knows what all needs to be changed.. also i dont believe the fact that a 10 year old car has done only 50K km's...

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 20:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

As Godfather says, if you stick to the dealer, it is curtains

If properly serviced and maintained, parts last for a long time but are not too expensive if you know the right places and have a good mechanic to maintain the car. Car is not too complex to bamboozle a competent mechanic. These things run in Nigeria, Lebanon, all over Africa with a lot of neglect and rough use.

50k on a 1996 - need to understand owner and car before making any conclusions. Check the service records if available but remember, a well maintained 100k car is better than an unused 50k car, seals shrink, joints corrode, cars like to be used!

What Goddy says is correct but if you have an alternative strategy planned out with a lot of research (including someone very knowledgable to check out the car), you might be lucky!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 21:36   #4
elf
BANNED

A 10 year old honest 50K Mercedes Benz is not that unbelievable. Just have a thorough check done through the dealers / mechanics / astrologers / tarot card readers, & then go with your heart.

Take a coupla curves. Feel the dynamics. Feel the inherent strength.
You may / may not lose money by the bucketload, but it will be worth it.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 11:33   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi GS300

I myself came across some pristine W124s earlier this year, but common sense prevailed and I backed off. Why?

Try to understand that there is a reason in this car selling for 4 lac rupees. Of the many that I saw, just to bring them to great shape would have cost me 2 lacs. I am not talking exterior as all of them were looking good but rust, leaking components, air-con systems etc. were the culprits. Even the wiring harness will for sure require a change in the example you are seeing.

I backed out because I didnt want to spend 2 lacs on restoration and another 1.0 - 1.5 lacs per year (as quoted by various guys) for upkeep. Its a great car but depends if you are willing to pay the price.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 14:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Dude...dont even think about it... I have owned mercs and the maintainence is veryyyyyyyy expensive..
the price is the only thing that looks tempting..trust me..one service for a merc can cost you anything upwards 10,000 minimum.. also the car is a '96 model.. who knows what all needs to be changed.. also i dont believe the fact that a 10 year old car has done only 50K km's...

Godfather
Neither do i believe that its has done 50000 it is possible that 1 lacks 50000 or 2 lacks 50000 and its not worth buyin its 11 years old for this price you will get very good and nice cars consider honda accord old shape 2001 model for 450000 in delhi which has done 40 50 thousand if you want a big car. During my visits to khan market i had seen astonishing things like one guys CD changers some stand or something broke i dont know what
and they charged hin 9000 for a non authorised shop and he happily paid
i asked the chauffeur why paid sucha hell lot of amount and he told me company was asking 85000 to change the whole Cd changer for Mercedes benz so 9000 was a good price and i was wondering that new changer in my lancer costs 7500 why the hell he cant put a new one there but then it wont work that way then once again i saw one C class out there with Ac condenser problem and they charger him 4000 to fix it and then the driver told that company was asking 27000 so i 100 % agree with what people say it will cost you a bomb expect 400000 just to be the first installment that you pay as down payment and then you will alwasy have to pay an Emi over the time you keep it and you will drive a car whihc is now 4 genrations old
rubin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 7th December 2006, 14:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

@ rubin2006 - Please be kind to the readers of this forum - use some punctuation marks, say an occassional comma or fullstop.

Regards
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 15:15   #8
BHPian

Get the car checked out by a known mechanic. Also try to get some sort of service history from them.
Also important to note wether it is owned by a company (driven by many hands) or a personal vehical.
All these little little things will help you to make an informed decesion.
Parts are always going to be expensive after all "its a merc"
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 18:23   #9
BANNED

Hi,

IMO if the car is in a decent shape it is a very good buy. You will have to incur a 1 time expense to get her into shape of maybe a lac on the higher side(for suspension, tyres, clutch etc). Am not including paint or body work. We have had mercs in our family since the past 30 years and they are known for their reliability once in perfect condition.

It is only the newer generation which is expensive to maintain due to its sophisticated electronics. Parts for the E220 are easily available and maintenence is probably cheaper than a newer generation Honda Accord, Camry or Skoda.

IF and only if the car is in good condition I would say go ahead with your eyes closed. If it has suspension work dont worry. If you need idea of costing PM me. I am referring to a private garage and not Authorised service centres.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote