Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 12th July 2017, 17:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Used Honda Accord V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
So I guess my question is, should I pick it up for a lakh? I do not necessarily need a second car, but at this price I could keep it in the garage and alternate between the two. Or would the costs of maintenance, insurance and fuel make me rue the purchase of the Accord?

Other Team BHP-ians: I'd welcome your views as well. Thanks!!
Having seen what a friends V6 is capable off with a few mods - it would not be a bad idea to pick it up and invest in a few basic mods. That V6 with a good intake sounds heavenly and with a good suspension corners on rails.

If it's well maintained - at that price it is a steal!

Throw in a few mods, and it would be a good second car for the places you would not necessarily want to take your Octy too.

In terms of reliability - if it is well maintained it shouldn't give you much trouble (friend's V6 is of 2007 vintage and is quite reliable), but yes you need to have patience to solve small teething issues that are commonplace in such an old car.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 10:45   #47
BHPian

Question Re: Used Honda Accord V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Having seen what a friends V6 is capable off with a few mods - it would not be a bad idea to pick it up and invest in a few basic mods. That V6 with a good intake sounds heavenly and with a good suspension corners on rails.

If it's well maintained - at that price it is a steal!

Throw in a few mods, and it would be a good second car for the places you would not necessarily want to take your Octy too.

In terms of reliability - if it is well maintained it shouldn't give you much trouble (friend's V6 is of 2007 vintage and is quite reliable), but yes you need to have patience to solve small teething issues that are commonplace in such an old car.
Thanks for the quick revert, Lambo! One thought I had was for me to drive the 2015 Octavia 1.8tsi exclusively, and to use the 2005 Accord V6 as a daily drive with a driver.

Currently the Octy does the following route daily:
(in the morning) Home -> My office -> Home -> Wife's office -> Home (17.1 km)
(in the evening) Home -> My office -> Home -> Wife's office -> Home (17.1 km)
All told, that's 35km a day in more or less rush-hour Mumbai traffic. Instead of the Octy, the Accord could do this run, which I assume would result in an increase of around 50% in the monthly fuel bill...

The other alternative is for both cars to be used daily:
(Accord, driven by chauffeur) Home -> Wife's office -> Home (4 km; but need to figure out the parking situation at wife's office. Worst case scenario, the car will come back home and return in the evening to pick up my wife, resulting in a daily run of 8 km)
(Octavia, driven by me) Home -> My office -> Home (13.5 km)
This arrangement would mean I get to drive daily (a plus) as well as lower fuel bills (even if the Accord has to go back and forth). Having said that, I'd need to factor in an additional Rs.1,500 for parking at my office...

Still thinking this through, would appreciate further views and suggestions!!
Hawkeye269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 11:25   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So I guess my question is, should I pick it up for a lakh?
I'd avoid buying one - too old. Parts would be an issue and the efficiency too!

It wasn't a corner carver either to be a collectible.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 12:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick revert, Lambo! One thought I had was for me to drive the 2015 Octavia 1.8tsi exclusively, and to use the 2005 Accord V6 as a daily drive with a driver.
Honestly this makes sense, especially because the Accord being a NA V6 with an old school gearbox and soft suspension is perfect for being chauffeur driven.

The TSi can be your daily drive, or a nights and weekends car as you see fit.

Just fair warning though:
- make sure the car is well maintained
- the gearbox was meant to be an issue in some models so have that checked out - especially the service history
- be aware of small niggles that will crop up in such an old car
- FE in city will be 3-4 kmpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I'd avoid buying one - too old. Parts would be an issue and the efficiency too!

It wasn't a corner carver either to be a collectible.
True - it's not a FUN car, but if he wants a comfortable barge at a bargain - this is it!
Also, there are some nice mods that can be done, and the engine is still quite powerful by today's standards (enough to give the TSi company perhaps).
Akshay1234's ex-Accord V6 (but it's of 07 vintage) is being used by another close friend, and the car is running brilliantly!
With the after-market suspension it corners brilliantly - I've seen it giving a few RWD cars a chase en-route Aamby Valley, and low end torque is amazing compared to the DSG TSi.
Heck my friend picked it up as an interim car, but the way it's running - it seems to be a keeper for another couple of years at the least.

Worst case scenario, even if it doesn't work out, I would assume he should still be able to sell it for a similar price as what he picked it up.

The only risk in terms of parts will be with regards to the engine as the V6 is a relatively rare species; other than that Honda is quite helpful with sorting the parts out from what I recall.

Last edited by lamborghini : 13th July 2017 at 12:26.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 10:40   #50
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I guess my question is, should I pick it up for a lakh? I already own a Skoda Octavia 1.8tsi Elegance Zeal Edition (AT) which I'm ecstatic with (and which GTO has seen at last year's Blind Man Car Rally). I do not necessarily need a second car, but at this price I could keep it in the garage and alternate between the two. Or would the costs of maintenance, insurance and fuel make me rue the purchase of the Accord?
If you have 1L to throw away sure go ahead and pick it up.

You may face maintenance issues. Be prepared to sell it as scrap then.

You may face an increase in Fuel Bills if you use it often. If you can afford the increase in fuel bill for some fun, why not.

I believe the Octavia 1.8TSI DSG is much more fun to drive, but is cramped in the rear compared to the 2005 Accord, so if being driven by a driver why not?

Essentially if you look for logic to justify the purchase the answer would be NO.

If you logic is that you only live once or that you want to own a Petrol V6 before it becomes a rare breed. They why not. If you are being driven around then how it goes around corners doesn't matter. But then if you are being driven around then 2.4ltr version too is good enough.

If you are looking at keeping the vehicle for many years though then then next gen post 2009 version which retained the same look till 2016 is the one to go for. This generation 2.4ltr 4 cylinder version is as fast as the previous 3.0 V6. If you can get your hands on the rarer V6 then even better. But yes that would not be anywhere close to 1L.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 11:34   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't want to be driven around by someone in a powerful car that handles like a sofa on wheels.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 16:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hawkeye, I would say, close your eyes and pick it up. I say this from my experience. My cousin picked up his friend's 2005 V6 in 2014 with 42,000 KMs on odo. Excellent car. He has added 7,000 kms to odo in 3 years; he has a diesel daily drive car. He didn't need this car. Bought just for the heck of owning a V6. And he paid much more than 1 lakh.

You will be the owner of world's fastest 1 lakh rupee car. Jokes apart, it's one heck of a car and didn't go in for any repairs in last 3 years. Old Hondas are mighty reliable. And the acceleration is verrry intoxicating. I will post some pics here of his ride but I need to check with him first. Skoda 1.8 is ok, too but it won't come for 1 lakh and certainly is not as reliable. And 1 lakh is ridiculously low price for this car. He might as well just gift you. If this is the Accord price trend, then I'm sure to get one for free by 2020, haha....
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote