Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 30th October 2007, 11:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well I would say out of these 3 the best performer would be Mondeo - but the Spares would cost you a bomb.

Sonata is good, but then it looks really old. Optra is no Stunner and 1.6 is hardly a performer.

As everyone recommends - your best bet would be Honda Accord 2.3 Vti - I think a good one with less than 40k on the ODO should be between 5 - 6 Lacs. Its a very good car !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 11:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitroy View Post
Want to add the Mercedes E 220 to this list ( 1996 Model). I am getting some deals in this model within my budget. Any suggestions. Also if someone can tell me how much average will the Merc E220 give
I think this month's Autocar India's Classified has 2 or 3 Adverts on E220 & E250. Check it out to get a fair Idea of what it costs.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 19:43   #18
BHPian

well as far as engine is concerned you would definately love the accord and i guess if you try to find out the 2001 model than it might even fit in your budget but interiors and mileage are bit of a disapointment

the engine of sonata gold is a no match for accord but if you are able to find a v6 than nothing like it however mileage will suffer
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 22:38   #19
BHPian

We all need Big cars but then these mean machines come with big price to more power more length more BHP == more money that said and done don't look at Mondeo if you have 5 lacks only to buy and don't have another 5 lacks to run it for the next few years that too if you find all the parts you require .
Like every one is advising you either go for accord(THE BEST CAR AT THIS BUDGET IS ACCORD) ,or go for Toyota corolla its big power ful fast fuel efficient easy on pocket if you don't Like OHC Vtech

Remember Sonata is is all show and No Go Merc is also good option but then one needs more money and some jugaars to maintain it at sub 5 lack price range
rubin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 15:15   #20
BHPian

A well maintained mondeo will cost you 6 lakhs or more, look out for a 2002-2003 honda accord 2.3vti/L model, they should cost about 3.9 - 4.8 depending on the condition.

buttt the mondeo still remains the best car of the lot, only if the parts fail you will have an issue(takes 10 days to arrive from chennai), otherwise the maintainence is like any other premium car. I havent spent a dime on my 2003.5 mondeo for a while now, only the 50k service which costs about 5.5k.
R.P.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 19:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have to agree with what RPM said above. My Mondy doesn't cost me much to run at all. Sure, some parts are expensive, but that's if you want to go breaking parts off your car, which I generally don't do!

It's plenty powerful, gives decent mileage (worst case scenario 8 Km/L, better the rest of the time), is very comfortable, generally reliable and NO other car in India this side of 30 lakhs steers the way a Mondy does.

I may even be looking to sell mine soon, since I'm thinking of moving on to something else! Honestly though, there is NO comparing either the Sonata or the Optra to a Mondy, it's chalk and cheese!
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 21:22   #22
BHPian

well the above two posts should be an eye opener and infact mondeo is the best driver's car out of the lot but lets not confuse the buyer by giving too many options...the problem with mondeo is that it might be out of budget for him and he could have possible reliability issues in future, so if he happens to find a mondeo from a reliable source with a decent bargain he can consider mondeo but otherwise he's better off with an accord or a sonata v6.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 22:42   #23
BHPian

Well, its not in your list but Elantra is a good 2nd hand buy. I think the petrol Elantra also has good power. Price range will be almost the same.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 23:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

i suggest the the opel vectra for its safety features and build

but a combination of reasonable comfort good looks and cheap to maintain sonata is the only option you have
from what i know honda,ford opel are going to be very expensive to maintain in relative terms
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 01:34   #25
BHPian

well at 4.5 you should be able to get a 2003/04 sonata S20 its a cut down version of the gold although its does not have certain features it still comes with a 133bhp engine which should give you about 8 average in the city, if you want power i suggest the sonata 2.7 V6 at 177bhp it can really move but its heavy on fuel intake 5.5 to 8 in the city depends on how you driver the car it comes fully loaded, mondeo is a fun car to drive but is hard to get a well maintained car in the budget as for the accord you will only get the old design 2003< it nice car also comes in automatic like the sonata V6.but just a peace of advice whatever car you buy if automatic have the company check it 1st.

Last edited by ancer : 12th November 2007 at 01:35.
ancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 00:35   #26
BHPian

Dude go for the Mondeo. Its the best Driver's car. You are gonna love it.
caroholic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 10:32   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the last generation Accord, you might have to strech your budget a bit but its well worth it.
Its quick(even the Auto) and much more comfy than the Mondeo. No issues with spares unlike the Mondeo.
I have been using the same for almost 5 years now and the car has not developed any problems besides regular wear&tear.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 11:26   #28
BHPian

accord is a super car but if your looking for an auto a 2003 will cost a bit a lot more than your budget of 4.5?
ancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 21:43   #29
BHPian

According to me,an Accord may prove the right kind of car for u. Sonata going to dissapoin u with the power. Refinement is also not that upto the mark.

Neva go for the mondeo. Spares are too costly. I've heard of a person who spent 9Gs just to replace the Mondeo's original stereo. But sure, it gains over the others in the comfort and performance basis.
@ AMATO,, My friend's vectra is giving him only an average of 4 Kmpl.Now thats going to burn a hole in your pocket.
wischvuanaudh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 14:36   #30
BHPian

Default Mondy The Best

I have gone through the same dilema as you. But after doin all the survey in dec'07 i went for a FORD MONDEO. One of the best thing that could ever happen to me. Trust me its a beauty to drive. The milage i get is 10-11 KM/Ltr in city and had tested in highway on hi speed more than 100 u gets 12+ KM/Ltr but if u stick to a speed of 80 KM/Ltr on highway man u gonna get 14-15 KM/Ltr with full a/c on all the way. I'm sayin all the above facts so confidently cos i had tested it myself after buying one get all the confusion out from my head about the car performance. Have run 6000 Km's since i have got it and no troubles as yet. only two things i had done which are normal maintenance 1) new tyres (as the company fitted tyres are really bad ride) 2) brake pads.
Regarding the parts and all i don see them much expensive and in the city like delhi u have plenty of option as the MONDY is best selling car in U.K and europe dealers here get all the parts pretty cheap imported from those countries. for example Brake pads as per Ford dealer it gonna cost u rs 4000 for rear set. and in outside market u get it from the range of Rs 600 to 2800. which i think is good enough.
Regards ride quality is much far better than Accord, sonata, skoda, camry. even this is the car of year 2003 where it beats even mercedes C class.
And the feature it have are still difficult to find in any class of cars near to it. For that matter front windscreen have defogger.
I WILL SUGGEST IF U GETTIN A GOOD MONDEO GO FOR IT THERE IS NOTHIN LIKE IT IN INDIAN MARKET YET.
mondymk3 is offline   Reply With Quote