View Poll Results: Skoda RS or C class Kompressor
Skoda RS 63 68.48%
C Class Kompressor 30 32.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th January 2005, 14:11   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

But seriously, even if we disregard the initial purchase cost, one only needs to see the crap GTO and other C class owners have gone through with their cars to make you vote for the RS.
Spot on! What you would buy with the RS is peace of the mind.

Modern Mercedes' are extremely high maintenance cars. Not only in time but also in cost. Imagine paying a total of Rs. 81000 for only the first three services. And the electronic gremlins will kill you. For every one day that my Honda has spent off the road, my Mercedes has spent 42.

A disgrace to the Mercedes tradition and heritage if you ask me.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 14:32   #32
BHPian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Spot on! What you would buy with the RS is peace of the mind.

Modern Mercedes' are extremely high maintenance cars. Not only in time but also in cost. Imagine paying a total of Rs. 81000 for only the first three services. And the electronic gremlins will kill you. For every one day that my Honda has spent off the road, my Mercedes has spent 42.

GTO
That really sucks big time after payin so much more to get the 3 ptd. star the least one would expect is long time relaibility.
Shame on Mercedes for their plumetting quality levels.
3 cheers to the RS
Rai
raihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 14:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Gone are the days when people used to say "Man you got a Merc? WOW!!", these days it's more like "Ok, so you got a Merc, so, what else is new?"

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 14:37   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
my Mercedes has spent 42.

GTO
42 days - what an earth for ?
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 14:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Well having seen GTO and a few other Merc owners, the vRS for all its money makes a lot of sense. And now that the engine can be found in the Rider as well, it just makes it such a VFM.

The Mercedes range since the past decade has seen its quality levels fall, reliability levels sink to new lows and the brand get lamblasted by even the most hardcore of merc fans. If that is not enough, brands like Hyundai and Daewoo have shown better quality levels than the famed 3 pointed star.

26-27 lakhs for a Merc C class is senseless. In that money you can get yourself a vRS for the weekends and a Rider for the weekdays. 2 cars for the price of one. Its like buying 2 Evo FQ 400s for the price of one Modena which beats the Ferrari hollow by more than half a second to 100 kmph. My choice is obvious and so is the rest's.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 15:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
Well having seen GTO and a few other Merc owners, the vRS for all its money makes a lot of sense. And now that the engine can be found in the Rider as well, it just makes it such a VFM.
Revv
Thats awesome news for the enthusiast now u can get the Rider with the 1.8 trubo for Rs 11,17,346 (ex-showroom, Bangalore)
http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanhe...n142005/b2.asp

I wonder what happens to the resale value of the existing petrol Skodas.

Last edited by raihan : 20th January 2005 at 15:18.
raihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 16:07   #37
BHPian

I would go with the RS, very practical, easier to maintain and performance equal to C class and also costs half of the price of C.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 16:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

I echo GTOs and Revvs thoughts . Mercedes just dont have that bullet proof reliability and build quality of the old school Mercs . Other smaller players are faring better in the surveys. Infact Skoda is right up there. In this years top gear survey the Octavia was no. 2 and 95 % of the people said theyd buy it again.

Merc on the other hand was far below with the M Class being judged one of the most unreliable cars around . Shame that for Mercedes Benz

Dippy
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 16:40   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
26-27 lakhs for a Merc C class is senseless. In that money you can get yourself a vRS for the weekends and a Rider for the weekdays.
i'd take the RS for weekends and the Tdi Auto for weekdays. This way you have auto & diesel for the high traffic manic work days and 150-180bhp for the fun day.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 16:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i'd take the RS for weekends and the Tdi Auto for weekdays. This way you have auto & diesel for the high traffic manic work days and 150-180bhp for the fun day.
Yeah an RS for the weekends and a TDi Auto or even a TDi rider would do nicely. The Tdi Auto infact is a pretty decent automatic to drive

Dippy
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 17:19   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Let me put it this way. Performance and boy-racer instincts aside, I would buy the C Class anyday. You just cant compare between the two and the baby Mercedes is more superior than all the 800 MB of disk space that Team-BHP would provide.

But with the problems that Mercedes have...and believe me they can be frustrating....I'd go with the RS and use the balance 13 lacs in a better way.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 17:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Performance and boy-racer instincts aside, I would buy the C Class anyday
Exactly, but sadly the C right now, doesn't really offer anything. Usually i'd be worried if any other car were to come with a supercharger, but with the C, that seems to be missing.

But tell you what, though the RS has the C beaten in straightline performance, around a track, i wouldn't cut the C out. What it loses out in straightline speed it might pretty well gain in the handling dept.

Would love to see these 2 fight it out around a circuit for top performance honours.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 18:18   #43
Team-BHP Support

Just the fact that we are comparing a 14 lakh Skoda with a 26 lakh Benz...I can just see the smiles on the faces of Skoda India management "Mission accomplished" they must be saying!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 18:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
Just the fact that we are comparing a 14 lakh Skoda with a 26 lakh Benz...I can just see the smiles on the faces of Skoda India management "Mission accomplished" they must be saying!

An RS for me too please...
shravan316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 13:24   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Let me put it this way. Performance and boy-racer instincts aside, I would buy the C Class anyday...But with the problems that Mercedes have...and believe me they can be frustrating....I'd go with the RS and use the balance 13 lacs in a better way.
anyone would USUALLY prefer a 3 ptd star to a skoda (RS or not) however merc has not been very kind to it's customers lately and that is what is tilting the balance in the RS's favour (not performance per se).

Performance for most of in Bombay is not something we can use. Having an RS myself i sometimes find it more frustrating than the opel astra. why? It's too fast! In the Suburbs esp the Autorickshaws are constantly in the way and force me to brake hard. The Astra on theother hand never builds up enough speed for hard braking to be required.

Driving over 100kmph within the city even when traffic is sparse is dangerous as pedestrians cross when and where they feel like so having a car like the RS means one has to make a conserted effort to use roads like the Mumbai-Poona Expressway to enjoy it.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote