Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 19th November 2008, 15:34   #136
BHPian

Default Ummmm I am bummed

Hi all,
Well you were right.I just spoke to the Bimmer dealer and he told me that the 520d would come at 40l on road.Now for just 7-10lakhs extra I can get a 5.So what to do?
When is the shell change due for the 5?You guys think I will be able to seel the 520d for 15lakhs 5years down the line at 60k Kms?
Please help muah confused mind.....
morphin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 19:55   #137
BHPian

Exclamation errrrrr

I have been researching since afternoon and apparently the new 5 is coming out in Feb 2009. Now is this the 7year change or just face lift?
Also you guys have any idea if the 520d would be sold at this price point in March 2009 or is it a way to clear out old cars?
Now in case it is a stock clearance via 520D, what do you guys think resale of the current 5 will be 5years down the line in decent condition as it would have become a dated model by then.
One last series of questions.All of you who have bought the 520D, how do you guys feel the performance of the car is and how insulated the cabin is at high speeds?Also have you guys felt that the 520D engine is small for the car?
Is 520D missing out on any equipment level as compared to the 525i,530D?
Thanks again guys
Old 19th November 2008, 20:55   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Morphin, your research is wrong.... The new 5 series will not be here before 2011, end 2010 the earliest ! Keep in mind there will be a delay for the international launch and india launch too. Look over several BMW forums you will get your answers.
There will be no facelift either because the 5 series was facelifted just last year itself.
The cabin is very insulated just like all german cars.
520d is not underpowered by any means, but ofcourse th 530d is a stonker. The only equipment difference is that the 520d get a low resolution idrive thats 6inches, no TV function either.
There is going be to be no stock clearance anytime soon not for atleast 1.5-2 years....so you are going to be waiting a looooong time at this rate.

Last edited by Sahil : 19th November 2008 at 20:59.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 21:19   #139
BHPian

Thumbs up Thanks Sahil

Thanks a lot Sahil. Now I am gonna get the 520D.
I also figured that even if the new 5 came out in 2011,90% of the used models of the 2011 5 would shuow up 2-3 year later meaning 2014.So it hopefully won't that big an impact on my 2009 520D.
I am 26, do you guys think it will come off as too big a car for my age?

Now what should I keep an eye out for while getting this car?Am thinking of getting the BSI package and the extended BMW insurance.Can i change the runflats for normal tubeless without nulling any warranties?

Also how do I find the manufacturing date and model of the 520 I get?
Thanks guys
Old 19th November 2008, 21:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Morphin, your research is wrong.... The new 5 series will not be here before 2011, end 2010 the earliest ! Keep in mind there will be a delay for the international launch and india launch too. Look over several BMW forums you will get your answers.
There will be no facelift either because the 5 series was facelifted just last year itself.
The cabin is very insulated just like all german cars.
520d is not underpowered by any means, but ofcourse th 530d is a stonker. The only equipment difference is that the 520d get a low resolution idrive thats 6inches, no TV function either.
There is going be to be no stock clearance anytime soon not for atleast 1.5-2 years....so you are going to be waiting a looooong time at this rate.
here with Sahil. The 520d is no underpowered machine, i had a drive in it and we just shot off. I was amazed with the power delivery and the comfortable ride.
If you are looking for deals then i guess you should call Infinity motors Bombay as they had some reposed cars with them. I was informed that they were spareingly used cars and the price should be on the lower side. The only thing you would have to bear is transporting the car to your Aligarh

Last edited by speedy : 19th November 2008 at 21:32.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 22:49   #141
BHPian

Thanks Speedy.
Now how do I check for manufacturing dates?
Does the 520D have sun roof?
thanks again all
Old 20th November 2008, 00:29   #142
BHPian

@ Morphin

Just walk into any beamer dealer...request the SA to provide the vehicle spec for the chassis number. The Mfg date is written at the top left column. This you can check in their system.

Else contact maverick from Navnit!
BeamerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 01:05   #143

Default Hi All

This is Venkat from Hyderabad. I was thinking of taking an A4 but after having read all your posts I have zeroed in on the 520D.

Just wanted your help on a few things...

1. Do you suggest if i need to take a service plan

2. Does it come with a sun roof?

3. Anything else that you would like to suggest before i book the car.

Thank you
vpulagam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 12:50   #144
BHPian

Regarding the service plan purchases.. I didnt go for it as I didnt find it worth it. and i found some flaws in the package, and even BMW is not ready to admit it as an "extended Warrant". so thats a big ?

About Sunroof, yes there is the sunroof in 520d.

What the 520d lacks compared to the 530d:
1. has 6.x inch iDrive screen and no "navigation" compared to the 8.8" screen in 530d, which also has "navigation". but Navigation is anyway disabled as of now. no idea when in future they will get it. mostly end 2009.

2. No cruise Control in 520d
3. no DVD Drive in the 520d as its mainly for the navigation purpose, but it does have CD slot, which does play MP3 cds.
4. Engine is 2lt 177bhp in 520d, not a bit underpowered, very good for this car, but the 530d , as sahil rightly said, is a stonker!

I think thats the only differences between the two.

goodluck with the purchases - Venkat and Morphin!

@ Morphin : mate, dont think too much aboutit, u wont lose out much on it. And no new model till 2011.

by the way, today morning i saw an X6 here in hyderabad - ITS A BEAUTY!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 13:33   #145
BHPian

Thumbs up Thanks Insane

Well thanks Insanedevil for clearing that up.
Just did some math and found that if I take a 26Lakh loan for 5 years at 12% I will end up paying 8Lakhs interest at end of tenure hehe.
Will it be better to buy the car upfront without getting a loan or am i missing something here?
Old 21st November 2008, 05:49   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
Well thanks Insanedevil for clearing that up.
Just did some math and found that if I take a 26Lakh loan for 5 years at 12% I will end up paying 8Lakhs interest at end of tenure hehe.
Will it be better to buy the car upfront without getting a loan or am i missing something here?
Its always better to take a car cash down or with minimum tenure if you got the booty in the bag . Thats my opinion guys so dont beat me up if others think differently.

I would prefer using the extra cash I pay to the bank to buy another car
nishant_kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 23:27   #147
BHPian

for me, 2 reasons to always take a loan on the car:

1. Managing the white entries (when it comes to a big car)
2. i take it only for 3 years so that i am bound to not sell it off before that even if i am bored, just to make me not sell my car off in "josh without hosh" atleast till it is with me for 3 years minimum! hahaha!

But then, it always does depend on the interest percentage u getting at. Do ur calculations, if u can rotate that money with better returns, then better off taking a loan, and earning more from that money than you will pay to the banks. But in this, dont get overconfident.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 00:59   #148

Hi Guys,

I think my 2 cents are a little late, but since i just read the thread i will do my job on posting my views if it can help others

So out of the 3 rather 2 cars ( BMW and Audi ) - ruling out Passat ( though its a great value for money ) it would still not lead to excitement you are looking for - as it neither has a killer looks like AUDI nor brilliant handling and overall package like a BMW ( this brand name still sells).

So yeah back to the point .I have been a huge fan of BMW since my childhood and the sportiness BMW carries even with lesser BHP is far greater than an Audi ..( but over the years Audi has done lot of technology work to bridge this gap and made their engines churn out same or even more power than a BWM with the same cc engine).

Looks - Audi is great (both exterior and interior
4wd - Audi has it (quattro) but then it makes your car feel more planted and you would not enjoy the excitement on a curve if you wish to take it fast down there
and since i am still am enthusiast about driving a car ..my fav choise still remains an BMW over even AUdi 3.2FSI ( its not just the power an engine produces ,its the package, the way you use the power,handling suspension)
Audi has done a great job by making great engines over the year but still its higher cpacity engine cant beat marginally lower power producing BMW on any test track ..
Merc is a great car ..awesome power ..but they have problem with traction control
+ iDrive ( no one can come close to this wherein you can actually set the gear changes , mode of the car and lots and lots of suff.

so thats all what i have to say ..
Divesh is offline   Reply With Quote