Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 10:37   #31
BHPian

325d is not yet under homologation. Plus take into account the fact that the 3 Series LCI is just around the corner. And to the fact that the formidable launch of F02 7er is also due.

I have my serious doubts if it is right waiting for anything like 325d. And if you are upgrading from Accord, you will still love the 320d or the 520d (even more).

I'll suggest you another gr8 idea. 320d+BA Insurance+BMW Secure+BSI Ultimate. Be happy with your car for the next 5 years! You will not get this with any other car.
Old 16th October 2008, 12:37   #32
BHPian

Guys, I am told that BMW will be launching a facelifted 3 series soon, with revised engine options.

However, my chap at BMW is being tight lipped out the engine options, so not sure if indeed we will see a 325d or a 330i !

Also, BMW has attractive finance packages on the current 3 series, something like 5.75% fixed for 3 years. ( through ICICI ).

I'm not sure if this indicates that they are clearing stocks to make way for the new facelifted 3 series or just to up the sales of the 3 series which has been lagging behind Merc and Audi recently. ( They have also advertised about this BMW Expo 2008, in todays paper - maybe this is to coincide with the upcoming festive season and encourage sales, in todays troubled times ? )
Old 16th October 2008, 12:58   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
A new 320d is as far as i can push it without being chucked out of the house by dad.
Ah, if you are stretching your budget already, then it's best to stick to the segment. I'd be surprised if BMW launches the 325D. Firstly, it is a 6 cylinder engine and the pricing would take the diesel 3 dangerously close to the 4 cylinder 520D. If they do, well, more power & refinement is always welcome . BMW hasn't put a foot wrong in the last 18 months. Will be interesting to see their strategy on the 3.

Test-drive the C220 to ensure that you have evaluated all other options. Except for outright grip / handling, the C pretty much beats the 320D in almost all areas (cabin space, ride quality, acceleration, lighter steering within the city). Some dealers are offering a 2+2 extended warranty now. Plus, it's available with a slick 6-speed manual!

Quote:
1) The car is essentially a 320d's engine cocooned in the body of a 5 . The chassis being bigger, and the weight substantially more, doesn't that dilute the ability of the engine? ( I think someone else was asking the same)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The 520d hits 100km/hr in 8.5 seconds which is Quick!
And the 320d highline is even quicker! However, is Nitronium zero'ing in on the regular 320 or the highline?

Quote:
2) What is it that actually justifies the 8 lacs extra? I'm sure the prestige of owning a 5 series is a major reason.
It is a substantially larger car from a higher segment. Even the resale will be equivalently better.
Old 16th October 2008, 13:01   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

And the 320d highline is even quicker! However, is Nitronium zero'ing in on the regular 320 or the highline?

how does it matter if hes getting the highline or the regular 320d? is the 0-100 on both different? AFAIK even the normal 320d has the 17xbhp upgraded engine.
Old 16th October 2008, 13:02   #35
BHPian

GTO, from 2008 onwards there is only one variant of the 320d.

This essentially is the highline version with all the bells and whistles, but is called the 320d.

I think only in 2007, they had this 320d and then the 320d highline.
Old 17th October 2008, 21:40   #36
BHPian

I took GTO's advice, and we went and test drove the Merc, and my dad and I just went WOW. I can see why people say comfort levels are way above the Beamer's. Fortunately, we got to drive the 6 speed manual (i still prefer the Accord's gearbox for some reason), and were greatly impressed by the ride and the crispness of the engine.

Having said that, neither my dad nor i could convince ourselves against the Beamer. The interiors in the 3, to me are more inviting, the drive more involving (at some points i even thought the Merc's steering was disconnected!!) and even though it has a wonderful manual version, i can forgo that for the thrill of driving the Beamer. That coupled with the killer financing available, hammered the final nail into the coffin of the decision to switch.
All in all, while the C-class was a brilliant car in many ways, the Beamer just has that wonderful magnetic appeal that just keeps me flipping through the brochure day after day after day! Can't wait for the day it eventually gets here!! (Dang, when ARE they planning to launch the revised 3 anyway?)

We'll be booking the 320d highline, GTO.

And ecclipse, they are still selling the 320d baseline. Not sure though whether they'll continue that when the new model gets here
Old 17th October 2008, 22:30   #37
BHPian

What are the differences between the 320d and 320d Highline?
I have checked the BMW website and have found only few differences:
1. HiFi Loudspeaker system.
2. On-Board monitor with TV Function.
3. Sunblinds for rear window, mechanical.
The dodgy extra is the TV function. How many are going to watch doordarshan in their car?
What's the price difference between the two version?
Old 17th October 2008, 23:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I took GTO's advice, and we went and test drove the Merc, and my dad and I just went WOW. I can see why people say comfort levels are way above the Beamer's. Fortunately, we got to drive the 6 speed manual (i still prefer the Accord's gearbox for some reason), and were greatly impressed by the ride and the crispness of the engine.

Having said that, neither my dad nor i could convince ourselves against the Beamer. The interiors in the 3, to me are more inviting, the drive more involving (at some points i even thought the Merc's steering was disconnected!!) and even though it has a wonderful manual version, i can forgo that for the thrill of driving the Beamer. That coupled with the killer financing available, hammered the final nail into the coffin of the decision to switch.
All in all, while the C-class was a brilliant car in many ways, the Beamer just has that wonderful magnetic appeal that just keeps me flipping through the brochure day after day after day! Can't wait for the day it eventually gets here!! (Dang, when ARE they planning to launch the revised 3 anyway?)

And ecclipse, they are still selling the 320d baseline. Not sure though whether they'll continue that when the new model gets here

Good decision with the 3 series.

I am sorry about the confusion between the highline and regular version then. I was under the impression that BMW had only 1 version of the 320d, which is fully loaded. ( Looks like I probably did not pay attention when the BMW chap was explaining the details of the 3 series, as I was secretly eyeing the 5 )
Old 18th October 2008, 09:57   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats and happy torqu'ing! I am glad you tested the C220 too...it is important to evaluate all options before zeroing in.

Don't forget to sign in on their awesome maintenance packages.
Old 18th October 2008, 11:56   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
What are the differences between the 320d and 320d Highline?
I have checked the BMW website and have found only few differences:
1. HiFi Loudspeaker system.
2. On-Board monitor with TV Function.
3. Sunblinds for rear window, mechanical.
The dodgy extra is the TV function. How many are going to watch doordarshan in their car?
What's the price difference between the two version?
also i-drive and xenons. and a couple more.
Old 18th October 2008, 18:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
also i-drive and xenons. and a couple more.
Xenons are now standard on all models (even I used to think they were on Highline models only).
What does the i-drive comprise of? Does it have GPS navigation? I need to go to my local BMW dealer and get a brochure. Has anyone got a pdf brochure they can upload (full brochure and not the little spec sheet that's on the BMW website).
Old 21st October 2008, 14:41   #42
evo
BHPian

Quote:

This thread can become the definitive Accord or bigger car thread. There was an article in the last ACI about a new accord vs 2005 Merc E class.

Anyways, congratulations on your car!
Old 12th November 2008, 22:12   #43
BHPian

Congratulations on your buy.
Please post initial ownership review so we can see you ride and get your opinion.
Cheers
Old 17th November 2008, 18:26   #44
BHPian

Good choice man. I myself being 20yrs old would have gone with the 320d highline (baseline is useless without the i-drive). You will have a lot of fun with that car

I personally own a Audi A6 3.2 quattro.

PS: Invest in a radar detector, you will be breaking the speed limit almost everytime.. lol
Old 17th November 2008, 20:11   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitkat View Post

PS: Invest in a radar detector, you will be breaking the speed limit almost everytime.. lol
And where are these "illegal" gadgets available?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks