Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 11:06   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,150
Thanked: 2,796 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

Quote:
if it was my own, I would use it for another 10 years & 90,000 kms
Yes, that's correct, seller has good contacts and is getting a newer LC with V8 Diesel, he is the third owner but condition of Car is very good. I have got this checked from my known Dealer but the demanded prices look high to me as well.
Quote:
rough & tough, why not get a used Fortuner?
I used to have the newer one but sold last Year - terrible ride and overall comfort. I need something to travel on interior roads & occasional trips to mountains, this has Air Suspension and should be comfortable then modern Fortuner/ Endeavour in my opinion but someone who has driven for extended period can confirm.

Probably he has an offer from someone for 15 Lac already but I doubt given the V6 Petrol, there will be only a few enthusiasts willing to accept 5-6 Kmpl mileage.
Quote:
You already have other luxury cars, so not like you need a luxury SUV
Sold my 2014 , 730 recently and have provisionally booked newer one in white with Cognac - M variant - more details follows when I get delivery next month

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th February 2016 at 11:10.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 11:18   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Need suggestions, is this worth at quoted price? what can all go wrong in this model year? apparently this has Air suspension and the current owner has got some leather work done on seats and dashboard which probably gets damaged in similar cars of this period due to Heat as per seller.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...er-Prado.html/
Price is slightly higher in my opinion considering its a Petrol Variant. Also if going ahead, please also do inquire about getting the No Objection Certificate from the RTO. It appears to be a DL 2C so its the Tilak Marg RTO in Central Delhi. Last I read in the papers that they'll start handing out NOC's for vehicles being sold out of state but haven't come across anyone who's been able to source one.
harjeev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 12:25   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,150
Thanked: 2,796 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

Quote:
Price is slightly higher in my opinion considering its a Petrol Variant.
Thanks , what should be fair offer ? I believe you have the larger one, have you ever driven smaller Prado specially with Air suspension ? What sort of mileage at we looking at in Delhi usage ?

RTO should not be an issue as I understand they had stopped Diesel re-registrations.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 12:39   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks , what should be fair offer ? I believe you have the larger one, have you ever driven smaller Prado specially with Air suspension ? What sort of mileage at we looking at in Delhi usage ?
No idea on the price buddy. Yeah, I have the older, but bigger variant,
I haven't driven the newer Prado, but maybe you could judge from this. A friend of mine had a petrol Landcruiser 80 series, same as mine but with the 4.5 liter 6 cylinder petrol engine. My vehicle in the City gives me 8 Kmpl and his used to give him 4.5-4.75 KMPL.

Quote:
RTO should not be an issue as I understand they had stopped Diesel re-registrations.
The registrations are still stopped, but I believe they've started handing out NOC's for vehicles being sold out of state. So you could get it transferred to UP, Punjab or Himachal. However you won't be able to transfer it in your name in Delhi.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 12:45   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,150
Thanked: 2,796 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

Quote:
The registrations are still stopped, but I believe they've started handing out NOC's for vehicles being sold out of state. So you could get it transferred to UP, Punjab or Himachal. However you won't be able to transfer it in your name in Delhi.
Thanks , are you sure this is applicable on Petrol vehicles as well ?

Quote:
petrol engine. My vehicle in the City gives me 8 Kmpl and his used to give him 4.5-4.75 KMPL.
yes , these are guzzlers , average on wasMDI 27 ltr/100 km maybe on highways it will be different.

This is maintained nicely by present owner who has got leather on dash & seats redone & looks original but has some signs of wear from previous one's .

I don't see value in picking this @ demanded price.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st March 2016 at 12:50.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:15   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks , are you sure this is applicable on Petrol vehicles as well ?
No idea of the current situation, but when this was introduced, the age limit for diesel was 10 years and for petrol 15 years or older.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 08:38   #22
BHPian
 
prateekswarup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 232
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Hi all,

Bumping up an old thread. Recently came across an advertisement on olx for a 1991 used Toyota LC Prado LJ78 2.8L diesel.

Although owner has repainted it and interiors look nice, does it make sense to go for a 25 year old Prado?

What about spares and availability? Purchase is more for occasional long trips than daily runs.

Asking price is 9.5L @ 70000kms done.

Any suggestions?
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 08:49   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,176
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Hi all,

Bumping up an old thread. Recently came across an advertisement on olx for a 1991 used Toyota LC Prado LJ78 2.8L diesel.

Although owner has repainted it and interiors look nice, does it make sense to go for a 25 year old Prado?

What about spares and availability? Purchase is more for occasional long trips than daily runs.

Asking price is 9.5L @ 70000kms done.

Any suggestions?
Two words - Stay Away

Don't buy a car just for its halo or badge. You are better of getting a new duster for that price than a 25 year old Prado!
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 08:51   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,163
Thanked: 1,556 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Hi all,

Bumping up an old thread. Recently came across an advertisement on olx for a 1991 used Toyota LC Prado LJ78 2.8L diesel.

Although owner has repainted it and interiors look nice, does it make sense to go for a 25 year old Prado?

What about spares and availability? Purchase is more for occasional long trips than daily runs.

Asking price is 9.5L @ 70000kms done.

Any suggestions?
Have you made up your mind to accept a 25 years old vehicle? Sure LCs are very sturdy, however the technology in that car would be too old to enjoy today! And believe me, they don't even fit into category of Classics either. Not to mention the fact that you probably will have to deal with some niggles time to time. In the beginning they may be fun, niggles can start to spiral up into headaches pretty soon IMO. 9.5L sounds like too much to ask for the vehicle that vintage. If you are very much into LCs, I would suggest you to look for either LC 100 series or if you find that too big, Prados from early 2000s. Else, a 5-6 years old well maintained Fortuner is equally good bet, far more usable and reliable.
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 07:43   #25
BHPian
 
prateekswarup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 232
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Two words - Stay Away

Don't buy a car just for its halo or badge. You are better of getting a new duster for that price than a 25 year old Prado!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Have you made up your mind to accept a 25 years old vehicle? Sure LCs are very sturdy, however the technology in that car would be too old to enjoy today! And believe me, they don't even fit into category of Classics either. Not to mention the fact that you probably will have to deal with some niggles time to time. In the beginning they may be fun, niggles can start to spiral up into headaches pretty soon IMO. 9.5L sounds like too much to ask for the vehicle that vintage. If you are very much into LCs, I would suggest you to look for either LC 100 series or if you find that too big, Prados from early 2000s. Else, a 5-6 years old well maintained Fortuner is equally good bet, far more usable and reliable.
Thanks Sahil & Ace F355. Turns out the the LC was a 2.5L diesel which has been prone to have head / gasket issues due to overheating.

Cancelling the idea of getting this one.
prateekswarup is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 19:28   #26
BHPian
 
karanj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 54
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

I am looking to buy the Land cruiser 200 2008 petrol which is done 85,000 kms
What are the things I should look out for?
At the moment I drive a petrol prado 120 so average fuel consumption would be around the same so not worried about that.
karanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 20:56   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,150
Thanked: 2,796 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

Quote:
looking to buy the Land cruiser 200 2008 petrol which is done 85,000 kms
Do check Papers, I don't think Toyota India sold Petrol LC 200 in India (not entirely sure though)
In the case of direct imports get the advice of some professional if everything is in order.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 23:18   #28
BHPian
 
karanj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 54
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Advice on buying Used Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Do check Papers, I don't think Toyota India sold Petrol LC 200 in India (not entirely sure though)
In the case of direct imports get the advice of some professional if everything is in order.
You're right Toyota India never sold the LC 200 in petrol in India.Its a private import from Japan and one more issue is everything in the media interface is in Japanese also need to figure if that can be changed to english.
karanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used Toyota Land Cruiser Prado VX - 2008 ab500 Luxury, Imports & Niche 30 29th January 2013 17:15
Golden Toyota Land Cruiser Prado vx shippy Long-Term Ownership Reviews 5 1st November 2006 12:49
Pics: my 05 Toyota Land cruiser in Dhaka rezwan The International Automotive Scene 32 12th June 2005 13:40
Toyota Land Cruiser 2004 Worth? vishnugnair Shifting gears 24 5th May 2004 04:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks