Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 7th February 2009, 02:38   #31
Team-BHP Support

Arrow $$$'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deziboy View Post
I am really inclined towards the BMW 330 or 335xi.

Any practical or very observable differences between the 330xi or 335xi?
Not much on a daily driving basis. The 330 is a pretty potent car.

Quote:
Besides normal oil & filter changes and regular maintanence, what other costs can one expect?
No special maintenance as such.

If you buy new, you're covered under factory warranty. 4yr / 50k mile. If you plan to keep the car longer (8-10 years) or if you do a lot of miles / year, then I'd recommend getting an extended warranty.

It gives you good peace of mind. Don't worry about quality - the Germans have gotten back in the game, maybe not 100%, but they're getting there.

It'll be cheaper buying an extended warranty while buying your car. The price for an extended warranty rises (and keeps rising) when you drive out of the showroom.

If you buy used, then again I'd recommend getting an extended warranty, or look for a car that already has an extended warranty purchased by the previous owner. Just because of the fact that in case something goes wrong with your preowned car, then a European car dealer will charge higher labour rates than the domestic / Asian car dealers.
Parts are expensive too but not by as big a margin as labour is.
An extended warranty won't cover your basic oil change but it usually does cover mechanical, engine, exhaust issues (depending on your warranty terms, etc).

If you're looking for a daily driver, and this is your only car, then a 3 series will make much more sense compared to an EVO or a STi. They're excellent as a 2nd car.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th February 2009 at 02:41.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 23:36   #32

So after waiting around for around a year, I finally DID it!!!

I got an Alpine White CPO 2006 BMW 330xi (~33000 miles) with a cold weather package + sports package + premium package. It feels a bit pricey, for me, along with the extended warranty, wheel and tire warranty and interior warranty.

But I think it was well worth it and I got it

Just out of curiousity how much would you say the total price out the door would be around (after tax, title, etc.)?

The feeling is just amazing! The acceleration is quite decent without the sport mode and simply awesome once sport mode is engaged.

The looks and colors are just right and the exact options that I was looking for. It was definetly worth the wait as this has everything I want.

Will post pictures for sure - (hopefully by this weekend).

I will certainly be looking out for your opinions/tips on how to maintain the car going forward.

Thanks!

PS. Mod's you can edit the title of the post.
Deziboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 01:24   #33
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up congrats

Quote:
I got an Alpine White CPO 2006 BMW 330xi (~33000 miles) with a cold weather package + sports package + premium package. It feels a bit pricey, for me, along with the extended warranty, wheel and tire warranty and interior warranty.

But I think it was well worth it and I got it

Just out of curiousity how much would you say the total price out the door would be around (after tax, title, etc.)?

I will certainly be looking out for your opinions/tips on how to maintain the car going forward.
Nice car. Alpine White's surely a very popular colour in the 3 series range!

I would have said around $25k-$28k but since you have a CPO with extra warranties I'm guessing you would have paid a little over $30k.

As you have extended warranty I don't think you have to worry about anything extraordinary in terms of maintenance.
BMW extends oil changes to @ 15,000 miles but a lot of owner's get it changed earlier around the 7,500-8,000 mile range - I don't know how much it really helps as the fully synthetic oil is rated to last 15,000 miles.
(Use Mobil 1 0W40 fully synthetic, if you don't want to use the BMW High Performance Fully Synthetic Oil, which I believe is a re-labelled Castrol Fully Synthetic Euro-blend, not widely available in the US).

If you can do your oil changes yourself, you can save a lot of money on labour costs.

Leave any mods for after the warranty period, if you can wait that long.

Tischer BMW's online prices are usually lower than some others, but there are a few BMW dealers who sell on eBay and price their parts competitively.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd July 2009 at 01:27. Reason: oil.
Old 2nd July 2009, 02:05   #34

Thank you aah78!

Your input in really appreciated.

Yes, your price range is correct as I got a three warranties that should give me some peace for the next 5 years.

As for the regularly scheduled maintanence, the car will be covered for 6 yrs/100K miles from the original service date of the car. Hence I will just take it to any BMW dealership and they will maintain it as I have paid for the extended maintenance.

But it's not like let's say I just feel like getting an oil change done, they'll do it (I mean they'll do it, but I have to pay from my own pocket ). The system needs to generate the alert whereupon I will need to take it to the dealership or at the scheduled interval times which are also defined in the system.

Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2009, 02:48   #35
Team-BHP Support

Default A.i.

Quote:
But it's not like let's say I just feel like getting an oil change done, they'll do it (I mean they'll do it, but I have to pay from my own pocket ). The system needs to generate the alert whereupon I will need to take it to the dealership or at the scheduled interval times which are also defined in the system.
No problems!

Yes, they do it free once a year or once every 15,000 miles (around the time the car computer puts up the notification).

But if you feel the need for an extra oil change, you can just do it yourself or get it done from a local garage. It's an easy job.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd July 2009 at 02:49.
Old 17th July 2009, 21:27   #36

Here are some pics as promised. Was a bit tied up and couldn't get the time to shoot some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Car suggestions in the US... - EDIT: Bought BMW 330xi-100_3769.jpg  

Car suggestions in the US... - EDIT: Bought BMW 330xi-100_3770.jpg  

Car suggestions in the US... - EDIT: Bought BMW 330xi-dscn19041.jpg  

Car suggestions in the US... - EDIT: Bought BMW 330xi-dscn18932.jpg  

Car suggestions in the US... - EDIT: Bought BMW 330xi-dscn19022.jpg  

Car suggestions in the US... - EDIT: Bought BMW 330xi-dscn18962.jpg  

Car suggestions in the US... - EDIT: Bought BMW 330xi-dscn18942.jpg  

Old 17th July 2009, 21:35   #37
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up nice!

How about running her in this weekend?
We're meeting up for a drive -> Tri State USA group drive interest?
Old 17th July 2009, 21:47   #38

Have been a bit ill (some sort of stomach flu), resting at home and can't make it :( ..

Hopefully another time. Just curious as to what/where exactly does the meet consist of?