Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 23rd February 2009, 13:24   #1
BHPian

Default Audi TT?

My brother is planning to buy one of the cars listed below, since he is not a TBhp member I am doing this on his behalf and would definitely like you guys to give opinions on which would be the best choice.

This is the list.

1.BMW 135i (4 seats, 300bhp twin turbo, full kit)
2.Audi TT (4 seats, 200bhp turbo, front wheel drive)
3.Nissan 370Z ?? not released yet (2 seats, 332 bhp)
4.Porsche Cayman (2 seats,245 HP)

The initial plan was to go in for the Lexus IS 300 but he wants a sports car, so the IS 300 is off the list and he did check out the Eclipse but that doesn’t visually appeal to him.

He was thinking of BMW 125i or Mazda RX-8 both of which are not available here. (He is in Qatar).

Problems identified so far with the list: BMW 135i - does not look great. Audi is front wheel drive. Nissan 370z and Porsche has only 2 seats. The BMW and Porsche are the extreme limits of what he can afford.

(BMW, Audi come with 5 year full service package.)

I suggested the Audi TT since its within his budget and its looks better than the BMW.
dr_know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:32   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The 135i is a pocket rocket ! If he is looking for performance then this is the best choice, much better than the Audi TT in almost all aspects.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:37   #3
BHPian

to be frank, out there most Audi TT's are seen to be driven around by women. because they find it convenient and "cute" i guess.

if he is interested, I am sure that with his budget he can definitely find himself a nice 2nd hand Corvette or a G35. there a lot of options in the used car market and its always best to really look around for the best deal.
A S H V I N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:44   #4
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_know View Post
The initial plan was to go in for the Lexus IS 300 but he wants a sports car, so the IS 300 is off the list
Surely Audi TT has sportier looks than IS 300, but not the sportier performance.

Quote:
I suggested the Audi TT since its within his budget and its looks better than the BMW.
If it's not too much of a stretch, I would suggest to go for 135i unless he is happy with TT's performance.
xPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

I thought the TT was AWD?

Is your brother in India, are these options being evaluated abroad?
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The 135i is a pocket rocket! If he is looking for performance then this is the best choice, much better than the Audi TT in almost all aspects.
Yea true, the BM's a pocket rocket but it looks like a 3Series wannabe's smaller version. It feels like its a 3Series that was compressed (Its not like the 5 or 7 which are different in looks, the 3 & 1 series looks too similar). But mainly because he is not impressed by the looks and the last thing you want is a car that you do not like for some reason or any reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A S H V I N View Post
to be frank, out there most Audi TT's are seen to be driven around by women. because they find it convenient and "cute" i guess.

if he is interested, I am sure that with his budget he can definitely find himself a nice 2nd hand Corvette or a G35. there a lot of options in the used car market and its always best to really look around for the best deal.
Out where he is, its a mix of users and its not a stereotyped car yet, but you never know what might happen in time.

About the 2nd hand market, he really does not want to go that way as he is planning on keeping this for a minimum of 5 years and don’t want to run in to high maintenance costs that are accompanied with a used car (and these being performance machines they are prone to being pushed to the limits)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
I thought the TT was AWD?

I believe with the 2.0 TT AWD comes as an option (not standard) and yes as I had mentioned earlier he is Qatar.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:31   #7
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post

Exactly my question.

I would say consider Infiniti G37 aka Nissan Skyline.

Excellent car! 330 bhp. 3.7L V6, 6MT or 7AT, Rear wheel drive and 4 seats! Perfect!
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:41   #8
BHPian

well i know where he is and thats why the stereotype came about and like i said if you check up on the used car market really well you can get a nice deal. for example a friend of mine picked up a 2007 model pearl white G35 run 5,000kms in Auguest 2008 for QRS.85,000/- which i think is a steal! so just a suggestion because i think it would be worthwhile.
A S H V I N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:48   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Cayman! Absolutely exhilirating to drive, unbelievable grip levels, damn reliable, has the most flash (if that matters to your friend) and get this....Porsche supposedly doesn't equip the Cayman with an LSD else its performance would be in 911 territory. Just have him test-drive the Cayman once, he'll be absolutely sold on the car.

'09 Caymans ought to have a slight power bump (think 15 BHP over 245). And if he can stretch to the CaymanS, nothing like it.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Apparently, the cayman's ride is harsh.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:11   #11
BHPian

Initial plan was to get the Chevrolet Lumina SS but when he did the research, he found out that it had reliability issues. Then it moved to the Lexus IS 300 and now to the list!

Yes a G37 coupe is a good choice, I ll ask him to add it to the list and check it out.

The Cayman is the end of the budget with its base value at QR.178,000 plus the insurance, registration and then add to that the maintenance cost, that’s the main reason for the hesitation. (The TT comes with 5 years full service package)

Alright, I will ask him about it being a ladies car in Qatar, as I am not living there right now.

But I guess such clichés should not affect our decision making if the car is good enough for the purpose we are buying it for!
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
My brother is planning to buy one of the cars listed below, since he is not a TBhp member I am doing this on his behalf and would definitely like you guys to give opinions on which would be the best choice.

This is the list.

The initial plan was to go in for the Lexus IS 300 but he wants a sports car, so the IS 300 is off the list and he did check out the Eclipse but that doesn’t visually appeal to him.

He was thinking of BMW 125i or Mazda RX-8 both of which are not available here. (He is in Qatar).

Problems identified so far with the list: BMW 135i - does not look great. Audi is front wheel drive. Nissan 370z and Porsche has only 2 seats. The BMW and Porsche are the extreme limits of what he can afford.

(BMW, Audi come with 5 year full service package.)

well i am surprised that he did not even once consider the 370z. The Nissan holds its own on the road and I had the opportunity to drive the 2008 350Z in California a few months back. The power behind the wheels and the engine and the exhaust note is something that is mind blowing. The only disadvantage is that it is a two seater. But nothing beats the roadster version of the 370Z.

And did i mention its very affordable - a true drivers car and a massive v6 doing its duty at low to higher rpms. If your brother is looking for a sports car - this is it.
suprateep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:05   #13
BHPian

@
suprateep: 370Z is a sports car and doubts about that what so ever but the head light and tail light design is somewhat a disappointment. I believe with the performace its the best VFM

Trying to take all aspects, would like to see what others have to say!

Ok guys, rate the cars out of 10:

BMW 135i
Looks:
Performance:
VFM:
Overall:

Audi TT
Looks:
Performance:
VFM:
Overall:

Nissan 370Z
Looks:
Performance:
VFM:
Overall:

Porsche Cayman
Looks:
Performance:
VFM:
Overall:

Your Pick is: XXXX

Lets see if this helps!

Last edited by dr_know : 23rd February 2009 at 17:08. Reason: Bold Text
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:22   #14
BHPian

BMW 135i
Looks: 5 (lacks character)
Performance:7
VFM:6
Overall:7

Audi TT
Looks:8 (that's a man)
Performance:7
VFM:7
Overall:8

Nissan 370Z
Looks:7 (could have done better)
Performance:9 (its heaven on the highway)
VFM:9+ (absolutely....retails for 30K USD)
Overall:9

Porsche Cayman
Looks:8
Performance:9
VFM:6
Overall:7

My Pick is: Nissan 370Z (although i would have preferred the Cayman)

IMHO BMW is over-rated because its german.

Porsche is different (i love the Porsche) - but nothing gives as much fun as the Nissan. Had it been a 2+2 then there would have been only 1 player to reckon with here.

check this out 2009 Z34 Nissan 370Z Battles Cayman S, 335i, S2000 And 911 At Tsukuba Circuit (moderators please see if this is acceptable)
suprateep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:28   #15
BHPian

Why not to look for a entry level Ferrari?
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote