Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 2nd August 2009, 16:05   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Money no object decision

My collegue is in need of a new car. Money is not an equation in his desire for a car but extreme comfort levels and acceptable A.S.S. is( I did mention to him about Skodas recent brush with Team BHP members). He asked me to give an opinion but I rarely look up on cars that I cannot afford. He used to own a Laura which he has sold and now his choice has boiled down to the V6Skoda Superb Petrol and the Diesel Passat. Between the two that have different diets and power which one do you think scores on the above two requirements. This is going to be his 3rd Luxo Barge which he will be using for about 6000km a year. I have already agreed to purchase it second hand from him after 4 years which is the max he keeps a car and by then it would have covered only 24000km according to his estimates. It will be self driven and that too below 70kmph but he likes to get to that speed in a blink but does not cross that self imposed limit. He does not like the BANGLED BMW, the new Camry and he already has an S class. If there are any other worthwhile options do enlighten me. Do not mention Honda as he has had an horrid experience with the straight H bad as regards after sales service similar to what another member of this forum had regarding drive train work at the service center in Cochin.

The links for the two cars he has in mind are.
Skoda Superb

Special Features

Last edited by drpullockaran : 2nd August 2009 at 16:07.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 16:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would say Skoda Superb V6. Its powerful, comes with a dual clutch gearbox and 4 wheel drive.... its a car which he can enjoy and is cheap (he already own an S-Class)
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 16:37   #3
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep if not the Accord then the Superb it should be. Superb though based on the same platform as the passat is essentially a segment higher in features, if after using an Laura the guy still is fine with skoda service then he can definately consider the Superb.

Also since he already has a S-Class why not go for an SUV this time.

A Captiva? of Fortuner maybe?
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 16:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

since the skoda and VW are in the hotlist, why not an audi
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 17:07   #5
BHPian

shouldn't this be in what car section.

of theses two i would go for skoda cos it has all wheel drive and and v6 petrol which has great power. if u want another option how about audi a4 3.2 fsi
rupinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 23:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
shouldn't this be in what car section.

of theses two i would go for skoda cos it has all wheel drive and and v6 petrol which has great power. if u want another option how about audi a4 3.2 fsi

Thanks to both of you( Greenhorn and Rupinder) for directing me to AUDI.
I shall have a looksee tomorrow and see how it compares to the other two choices. The cars I might recommend to him from the AUDI stable will be the A4 3.0 TDI Quattro or the A6 3.0 TFSI Quattro. But I doubt I can buy these off him second hand after 4 years as it still will be way above my budget even in my dreams.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 2nd August 2009 at 23:33.
Old 2nd August 2009, 23:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

No comparison if you bring in Audi to the equation, slightly choppy ride at the rear but very driver oriented set up, is what i have "heard" from a friend who was considering the car.

A.S.S should be fine if your friend is in Cochin. VW also has the same problem, my friend drives it to EKM for service from TVM.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 00:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Would Volvo be an option? Do they have an outlet / service center nearby?

Volvo Cars India ? Volvo S80 ?Volvo XC90 ? Best Car India
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 18:11   #9
BHPian

Neither of the two cars you mentioned seem to fulfill the requirements. I have read that the ML350 without the optional air suspension is good so I suggest it.
Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 19:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Money no object, on one hand you are talking about a Superb and on the other hand there are cars over a carore. Basically you want to convince him about the Superb as you both seem to have your mind set over it. Why dont you just buy it. Otherwise the possibilities are limitless.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 10:36   #11
BHPian

I will advise a car for you people but mostly you may not be able to buy it back from him. :(

Jaguar XF or Jaguar XFR.

I advise the Cheaper XF as it has more comfortable seats.
If your friend does not want to brake like a maniac at all times and does not want to change lanes frequently then this car is for him.

Also looks at the Class Diesel. I loved it. I think the Best Car in the Luxury Segment.

I do not like the Passat as the seats are narrow for me. :(
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 11:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think drpullockaran would not approve of buying another tata sold and serviced brand
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 12:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

In the Sedans the Superb V6 is a good VFM option. The VW, Audi are better equipped. The new 7 series has been largely 'de-Bangled'.

If a SUV/Crossover are acceptable look at the BMW X series.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 23:40   #14

Default He already has an S class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Money no object, on one hand you are talking about a Superb and on the other hand there are cars over a carore. Basically you want to convince him about the Superb as you both seem to have your mind set over it. Why dont you just buy it. Otherwise the possibilities are limitless.

Yesterday skoda went out of the picture after hearing the fresh story of service engineers driving a skoda without engine oil after a regular service by the employees at the service center and having the gall to charge the owner for consequent repairs amounting to more than 1.25 lakh rupees. I will have to search once again but it has to be something that I can afford to buy from him 4-5 years down the line and he can use till then to go shopping for groceries. My budget is 12 lakhs for an extremely low mileage second hand car. I expect he would have driven only 24000km in five years. The buyer knows nothing about car mechnicals but cares for the cars he owns like his own kin. IF the A.S.S is bad then the car is worth only its weight in metal five years down the line.
Old 14th August 2009, 00:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Teana? If you want a five year old car that won't trouble you, you need to buy Japanese.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote