Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 10:16   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,758
Thanked: 89,465 Times
Default Best pre-owned car for $40,000 EDIT : Infiniti G37 it is!

So, my sister just got a big promotion at one of the top 4 accounting firms. Considering the corporate situation in the States, she's naturally elated!

She was keen on buying a brand new car, though I & my Jiju convinced her to consider pre-owned. Heck, there are absolute steals to be had on "pre-worshipped" cars in the current market.

Any killer deals / recommendations in the States? Broad requirements:

1. It's only sis + hubby. So rear bench space is not an issue.

2. They are based in CA.

3. Primary purpose will be a daily drive to work (50 miles round trip).

4. Already have an SUV.

5. Reliability & durability are top priority (same genes, remember?!).

Must have the "feel good" factor; this car is not a need as much as it is a want. She's worked incredibly hard and thus, the cars going to be more of a celebration. Some brands that I've heard her talking about "BMW, Lexus, Infinity". She is NOT a Mercedes person, though is willing to consider an Audi (only just).

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2009 at 10:18.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 10:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,937
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's only sis + hubby / They are based in CA / Primary purpose will be a daily drive to work / Must have the "feel good" factor / The cars going to be more of a celebration.
How about the Z4 or the 635Ci / 645Ci ? I don't know prices. For $40k you could probably get a new Z4 ?

Two seater, fun to drive, BMW reliability isn't something I can comment on, the daily drive to work will be a pleasure with the top down in sunny CA, and it'll provide enough of a feel-good factor. What's your take on it, Rush?

Maybe I've underestimated the potential of $40k in the pre-owned market. I found this, for example BMW Z4M Roadster

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th August 2009 at 10:32.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 11:36   #3
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 693
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So, my sister just got a big promotion at one of the top 4 accounting firms. Considering the corporate situation in the States, she's naturally elated!

She was keen on buying a brand new car, though I & my Jiju convinced her to consider pre-owned. Heck, there are absolute steals to be had on "pre-worshipped" cars in the current market.

Any killer deals / recommendations in the States? Broad requirements:

1. It's only sis + hubby. So rear bench space is not an issue.

2. They are based in CA.

3. Primary purpose will be a daily drive to work (50 miles round trip).

4. Already have an SUV.

5. Reliability & durability are top priority (same genes, remember?!).

Must have the "feel good" factor; this car is not a need as much as it is a want. She's worked incredibly hard and thus, the cars going to be more of a celebration. Some brands that I've heard her talking about "BMW, Lexus, Infinity". She is NOT a Mercedes person, though is willing to consider an Audi (only just).
My $0.02 would be Lexus or Infinity purely bcos luxury would be paramount in these compared to cars like BMW which I feel are still more of a driver's car i.e. comfort might be a little compromised.
If your BIL is planning on driving this car, then I would suggest only BMW. They might be a pain to maintain at times but the thrill of driving one is unparallel in that price range
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 11:51   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,995
Thanked: 659 Times
Default

GTO,

My suggestion:

As this car is more of a celebration - nothing works better than a cabriolet to let your hair loose after a hard day of work. Also they are based in CA - good weather!

For the given price bracket, you can get a beautiful sparingly used porsche boxter! It ticks all the boxes and goes well with the image part.

Check this one out:

Name:  IMG_8940.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8916.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8927.jpg
Views: 1968
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8992.jpg
Views: 1975
Size:  65.7 KB

Source: Porsche : Boxster:eBay Motors (item 160356250346 end time Aug-23-09 11:07:43 PDT)

Cheers

Last edited by anekho : 18th August 2009 at 11:52.
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 12:04   #5
PVS
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: HyderabadDeccan
Posts: 271
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Nissan 350 Z Roadster, Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger, Hyundai Genesis Coupe - she might want to consider some of these
PVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 12:48   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Firstly my congratulations to your Sister for her Promotion GTO.

The cars she could short list for sunny CA. (Price not known to me so just off the memory)
1) Bmw 3,6 series/z4 (M convertibles would be iceing)
2) Infinity G series (convertibles)
3) Cadillac Xlr roadster.
4) Porsche 911/boxster (convertibles)
5) Lexus ISC (brand new 38,500$), Sc
6) Vw Beetle convertible (Dont think your BIL will like this)
7) mini cooper s convertible.
8) Mercedes SL500/600,Slk 55 amg.

Hope this helps.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 13:51   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,108
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Tha choice would be between the Lexus, BMW, Porsche. Also in order of Reliability. For CA a Convertible preferbaly with a hardtop makes a lot of fun.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 14:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,096 Times
Default

Congrats to the sis on the promotion.

I'd suggest a 3 series convertible especially since she lives in CA. I am not a fan of the sedan but the coupe/convertible 3 series looks sweeeeeet. Since "feel good" factor is high priority she could get a new 325Ci in her budget and best part is that the BSI package is standard in USA so her second priority of reliability is solved too !

325Ci has enough grunt for the lady but if she has got the same gene's as you, i'd say stretch for the 335Ci or get it pre-owned.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 15:05   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

My vote goes to Porsche Boxter $46k approx. She should buy new.

She will be admired by crowd in the parking lot and show her boss that she's up and ready for the challenge + has a drive for perfection and understands brand.

CA weather is great and she will enjoy the ride. Trust me on this one.

If she really really doesn't like it for some reason, then the new Audi TT or BMW Z4 will also do the trick. These have excellent resale after Porsche, if she would like to dispose off for even a bigger ride.

Do let us know the decision. I am sure if she buys Boxter, she will write more about cars than GTO you yourself
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 15:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default

Interesting thread, My brother would be in market for buying his next car in few months, He is in Atlanta & currently drives an Accord V6.

He too has similar budget but I dont think he would go in for 2 seater sports cars. I think he would be looking for a powerful & stylish sedan with of course resale value in mind .

Would pass on this link to him.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 17:16   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,758
Thanked: 89,465 Times
Default

Thanks guys, she's reading this thread with keen intent. Isn't it amazing the kind of cars you buy in the states for $40K? In India, 20 lakhs would get you an Accord, Superb or Sonata. Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
How about the Z4 or the 635Ci / 645Ci ? I don't know prices. For $40k you could probably get a new Z4 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
1) Bmw 3,6 series/z4 (M convertibles would be iceing)
Quote:
then the new Audi TT or BMW Z4 will also do the trick
Z4 should be doable in the budget (not the M). Definitely shortlist worthy (she may like it, though I hate the way it looks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
My $0.02 would be Lexus or Infinity purely bcos luxury would be paramount in these compared to cars like BMW
Any particular models within the Lexus & Infinity family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
Nissan 350 Z Roadster, Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger, Hyundai Genesis Coupe - she might want to consider some of these
Won't go American or Korean.

Quote:
As this car is more of a celebration - nothing works better than a cabriolet to let your hair loose after a hard day of work. Also they are based in CA - good weather!
Quote:
4) Porsche 911/boxster (convertibles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Tha choice would be between the Lexus, BMW, Porsche. Also in order of Reliability. For CA a Convertible preferbaly with a hardtop makes a lot of fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
My vote goes to Porsche Boxter $46k approx. She should buy new.
The Porsche wasn't even a contender until you guys bought it up. Excellent suggestion and a strong contender. Good to drive, nice interiors and has the badge. Thanks!

Quote:
8) Mercedes SL500/600,Slk 55 amg.

Hope this helps.
C'mon Speedy, SLK55 AMG for 40 grand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I'd suggest a 3 series convertible especially since she lives in CA. I am not a fan of the sedan but the coupe/convertible 3 series looks sweeeeeet. Since "feel good" factor is high priority she could get a new 325Ci in her budget and best part is that the BSI package is standard in USA so her second priority of reliability is solved too !
Truly. In fact, her first question to me was on the 3 series. Only restriction : They don't change cars too early (its the genes again), and the E90 is due for replacement in 2011?

So far, I guess its between the 3, Z4 and Boxster (if nothing interesting from Lexus pops up).

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2009 at 17:21.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 17:50   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

Lexus are launching the IS Convertable as a 2010 model which mean's the launch should be just a few months away. Also, the IS sedan starts at about 32K so the ISC should be in the 40K range. I know it will be new and not pre-owned but since it's a Lexus, it's worth a shot.

Name:  lexus_is_250_c_images_004.jpg
Views: 2810
Size:  46.8 KB

Another option is the VW Eos. It may not give the 'feel good' factor of the sport luxury Lexus's and BMW's but it offers a folding metal roof with integrated sun roof. Since it's a VW, I'd be wary of the complicated folding roof mechanism.

Name:  2006VolkswagenEosSASpeed1024x768.jpg
Views: 2333
Size:  38.8 KB

Last edited by amit : 18th August 2009 at 17:54.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 19:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,937
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Z4 should be doable in the budget (not the M).
The link I attached was for a pre-owned M with not many miles on it....

Quote:
Definitely shortlist worthy (she may like it, though I hate the way it looks).
Totally expected that
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 20:18   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Hi i have a suggetion

Since your sis is in USA, why dont her husband get her a "overhauled" car from "what's his name" Chip FOOSE ?

this would be a unique and best car at an economical cost. i think it is possible in 40K$ budget
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 20:29   #15
BHPian
 
mohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto / Kurukshetra
Posts: 641
Thanked: 120 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Any particular models within the Lexus & Infinity family?
Infinity G37 Coupe. Its a looker and sounds heavenly.

Its bang in the price range too

Cars.com linky
Attached Images
 
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Convertible Infiniti G37/Nissan Skyline hskhan The International Automotive Scene 5 21st August 2008 14:57
Rumoured 500HP Infiniti G37 twin-turbo on tap for 2010 rahul_intlad The International Automotive Scene 4 19th March 2007 00:26
pre-owned Baleno vs pre-owned Accent vs ikon flair rohantn Sedans 36 16th February 2007 20:27
pre-owned Wagon R or pre-owned Bolero - pls advice rohantn Hatchbacks 26 7th February 2007 17:02
Pre-owned Ford mondeo vs Pre-owned Skoda octavia azifali Sedans 6 24th July 2006 13:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks