Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 8th October 2009, 18:36   #1

Default Choice Between E-220 or E-250 D both 1996 !

I had always told myself that my first car would be a Merc ! I am old enough to have bought my first 800 or Santro a few years ago but I waited till I could buy myself an old Square Lights Merc. Honestly I dont like the models after the W124 they all look pretty feminine.

I have not hit the jackpot yet but with the all years of waiting the prices of the W124 have come in the range where I may be able to afford them. It seems I can the 96 model, which have done in the range of 80K to 95K in the range of 3.5 L to 4.0 L

Recently I have started looking for W124s and so far I have seen that I can get E220 and E240D in the same price range. The model year is 1996. I am yet to come across one in a great condition but I am positive I will find one.

Now my question is everything remaining the same should I go for the Petrol or the Diesel ? Is there any difference in the power of both the cars ?

I have been running my cars on CNG since 1997 so if I buy an E-220 Petrol I might consider switching that to CNG as well ! Please let me know if anyone knows of anyone running an E220 on CNG ??

Also please let me know what are the things I should definitely look for when I am inspecting the car

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th October 2009 at 19:55. Reason: Please don't post in ALL BOLD. It is considered rude.
stone_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 20:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_monkey View Post
I had always told myself that my first car would be a Merc ! I am old enough to have bought my first 800 or Santro a few years ago but I waited till I could buy myself an old Square Lights Merc. Honestly I dont like the models after the W124 they all look pretty feminine.

I have not hit the jackpot yet but with the all years of waiting the prices of the W124 have come in the range where I may be able to afford them. It seems I can the 96 model, which have done in the range of 80K to 95K in the range of 3.5 L to 4.0 L

Recently I have started looking for W124s and so far I have seen that I can get E220 and E240D in the same price range. The model year is 1996. I am yet to come across one in a great condition but I am positive I will find one.

Now my question is everything remaining the same should I go for the Petrol or the Diesel ? Is there any difference in the power of both the cars ?

I have been running my cars on CNG since 1997 so if I buy an E-220 Petrol I might consider switching that to CNG as well ! Please let me know if anyone knows of anyone running an E220 on CNG ??

Also please let me know what are the things I should definitely look for when I am inspecting the car
Hi stonemonkey
Firstly welcome to Teambhp!!!
Secondly reading your post made me feel that someone has put my frame of mind and thoughts on this thread!!!
I myself was and always am enamored by W124!!! I never fancied the W123 nor the W210. Only the W124 for me. The only difference between you thoughts and mine is that I will buy a W124 but not before end of next year or beginning of 2011!!! Yes its that long reason being that recently I picked up 3 jeeps and need to either sell one of them first and then definitely Ill go in for a W124!!!

If you don't mind, I will like to meet up and share your views and your buying experience (whenever you get your hands on one), if thats ok with you!!!
If OK please send me a PM or an email Ill get back to you.
regards
Harjeev
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 21:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_monkey View Post

There are no diesel 124 240D's. The diesel 124's came as 200,250 and 300D models.

be aware of the fact that diesel models will already have done a few lakh miles by now. mainaining mercs is an expensive affair.Be prepared for it.

The petrol would be a better option, but if you have lotsa running, then it could prove to be expensive. Not sure about the CNG option.

If you find a low mileage diesel, nothing like it, but finding one could be tough. Also, get the car thoroughly examined by a merc service center before you buy it.

All the best!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 22:58   #4

Harjeev - Dude Id love to meet up and discuss my experience after I have bought my car ! I have just started the process and it may take months of not more !! Really impressed by your collection of Jeeps Bro !!

Jay - You are right , it was my bad the options I talked about actually is 250D. I am gonna the merc as my everyday car so it is gonna run a lot ! Which is why i thought of a Diesel or a Petrol with CNG !

Getting it checked from the Service center seems like a good idea ! I might get that done !

Will keep you guys posted

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th October 2009 at 14:07. Reason: back to back posts: please use the multiquote option when you want to quote multiple posts in your replies
Old 9th October 2009, 13:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

No conversion to CNG of any car before 2000. Also car wise only Sonata and C200 compressor (2000cc to 25oocc) have been certified. Car Certification is Rs. 50k if your car after year 2000 and falls in engine category which currently is only upto 2500cc (categories cast 20 to 30 lacs!) anything 2.5 liter will have to sent to VRDE. MH rules not sure of pan india

Last edited by canonball : 9th October 2009 at 13:20.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 13:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Buy a Good E250D[124] and she will give you superb service. You should prepare to shell out 4.50 lacs for a very good example complete in all respects. If you get one at 3.50 or 4.00 be prepared to spend money very soon. I sold mine which had everthing perfect from tires, brakes, suspension engine, drive train etc etc. for 5.00 lacs here in mumbai.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 14:24   #7

Canon - Thanks for the info bro ! Will keep this in mind !

Scooby - Will work with this budget in my mind ! Thanks !
Old 10th October 2009, 10:46   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Stone Monkey,

Since you seem keen on lower running costs, go for an E250D. Ideally, your car would have done in the region of (or less than) 1.0 - 1.2 lakh kms. Remember, better to buy a car that has been running frequently than one that's been standing in the same spot for months at end. The E250 is a damn robust machine, known to cover 3 - 4 lakhs kms with proper service. These cars are tanks & built to last. As long as they have been / are cared for. Note : The lack of electronics & absolute mechanical over-engineering (typical of Mercs in the older days) are why us enthusiasts call these "the real Mercedes".

That said, if you find a nice E220, don't ignore. The only downside of this car (vis a vis E250) is the lower fuel efficiency. Buts its a quick refined car that will serve you well. I'd highly recommend you to visit these threads. All you need to know about the E220 / E250 is covered:

E220 versus E250 (W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?)

Used E250 (A used W124 E250D? EDIT : Now bought. Thanks!)

Used W124 value (Mercedes E-Class (W124) Used Value?)
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 01:04   #9

GTO - Thanks for the pointers. Cant tell you how much help you guys are !! If I would have posted here earlier I would have already bought ma W124 ! This is the 1st place where ppl are actually encouraging me to buy 1 otherwise every Uncle / Aunty / Bhaiyya / Chacha etc etc just keep telling me how a new Swift or a Accent would be much more reliable ! I guess now that they are just jealous !! LOL
Old 11th October 2009, 01:11   #10

UPDATE

I got to see a 96 250 D through a agent a few days ago ! The meter read only 56K but it looked more like it had done 256K already ! The right rear view mirror was missing ! The body had a lot of bumps and bad paint jobs from earlier repairs !

When I took it for a drive there were like super vibrations and it seemed a bit sluggish ! Are 250Ds supposed to be sluggish or are these powerful cars ??

Overall it was in a pretty bad condition so I did not even give it a 2nd thought !!

But after driving it I felt how solid it was even in this condition so im keeping my hunt on and hopefully id find my dream car soon ! I am soon going to look at one which is said to be owned by the Chairman of a Ltd. co. and claimed to be in good shape ! He is the 2nd owner & says it has done 65K and is asking for 5 L ! I will write about it after I see it !

One thing which surprises me is that why do all these cars get sold through agents ? Why cant I find one for sale directly by the owner ?

The Hunt is On !
Old 11th October 2009, 11:35   #11
BHPian

i recently bought a merc E250D 50 days back
u can see the pics in my thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...-bought-2.html

have a look
i'm yet to write the detailed review but the sheer joy and excitement of driving it is much more
jubin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 00:00   #12

Guys im still hunting !!

Today I saw an 96 E-220. The cars meter says it has done only 56K but I really don't believe that as the current owner is the 4th owner of the car.

As far as the looks are concerned the car looks nearly as good as new, its actually too good to be true ! The current owner bought it only a couple of months back and claims to have spent apx. 1.6 lacks on redoing the car ever since he bought it.

Overall the body does not have any scratches or bumps or anything like that. There seemed to be a little work done on the rear bumper even that looks OK. The tyres look pretty new.

The car started in a whisker and the ride quality was pretty solid. The only thing I could not understand was that the car felt very sluggish in the lower gears. Is it normal for E220s to be so sluggish ?

The guy is asking for 2.75L for this car, please let me know what do you guys think about it ? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in the car ?

Need your help in deciding about this car !!
Old 18th January 2010, 14:12   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

4th owner? And only 56K on the odo. Odds are that the car has been clocked. Why not have the car evaluated by a professional (say, Auto Hangar) first?

Also, I'd HIGHLY recommend you include other cities in your search for a clean W124. Check our classifieds too, I remember seeing some single owner cars.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 14:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

I agree with GTO
Recently I saw a W124 in our classified. From the pictures it looked to be a very clean piece.
You could always check it out!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/classi...uct/5925/cat/7

PS earlier the advt was posted for 600k now he's reduced it to 550k. But this too is the 4th owner, so please clarify whether is this the same vehicle that you saw??

Last edited by harjeev : 18th January 2010 at 14:46.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 09:56   #15

Default Hi

Hi, well that is my car and its not the one stone monkey had tested out. Its still up for sale....and if either you Harjeev or Stone Monkey are interested call me...I ll PM my phone number to you. Also, like a bit of shared experience, I also just like you guys I was inspired to buy the W124 as my first car from team-bhp, and read through every thread possible. More about the car, its a Stuttgart made car and an import and its a 92' which makes the appearance very different from the Indian made W124's, the front with the heavier grill is cleaner and more original than the facelifted post 93' 124s....but that typically is a matter of personal choice, the blue interiors are obviously very unique. Have kept everything stock.....not even changing the original Becker Europe cassette player, the medical kit is still there as well. Am traveling till for the next week, so please call me and let me know if and when you want to see the car and I ll be happy to see her in good hands. Thanks.
Right is offline   Reply With Quote