Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 29th October 2009, 13:45   #16

Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The only reason that the Camry, even the new ones have very poor resale value is because of the KMpl and the size of the car. Well kept 2002 Camrys, are going at 3 Lakhs or less.
Hey, are you sure that well maintined 2002 Camrys are available within 3 Lakhs range?

let me know if some one is selling at that price. I am ready to grab one.
vikram.vns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 15:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Well the4 car may be cheap. What about spares and maintenance. You will get a pain in the a#$ trying to find them and burn a hole in the wallet paying for them.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 02:18   #18

Guys, Would like to share some of the information about this machine after I test drove it.

1. The Engine had a quick & silent start ( The owner has recently put new battery).
2. The auto transmission was smooth but not great as the new honda city AT.
3. The ride & suspension is smooth, the car has clocked 1,58,000 on its odo.
4. I would be the 3rd owner considering the car was transferred within the family once.
5. Has a decent cassatte player Toyota make.
6. All electricals are in good condition except rear door (left) power window.
7. Windshield is cracked so need to replace.
8. Paint job required, no dents.
9. Rear (left) tail light needs replacement as its got a small crack.
10. Tyres looked quite new.
11. All documents clear
12. Date of Manufacture, Registration & Import is 1993-94 ( Camry Lumiere V30 1.8 )

We already own a Honda City and Wagon R and this car we wouldnt be used often. May be on weekends.

Since I drove it in evening cudnt get clear shots. However found some pics of same car on web.
Attached Images

Last edited by sary : 2nd November 2009 at 02:24.
sary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

My take on the car would be the initial cost of purchase is very tempting but when the car starts giving work you would find yourself digging deep into the pocket to bring her up to speed. The parts i dont think would be readily available and would have to be ordered. This would slow you down and resale also of this car would be difficult. If you can buy a newer model paying a little more would buy you mental peace.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:36   #20

As most of you suggested and with the opinion from my cousan brother who worked for Toyota Dubai for almost 5yrs and now operates his own garage at Australia, it may not be worth to buy these machine.

Basically because of its Kms run and availability of spares in India.

I have decided to stay off these baby for time and hunt for my other dream that's 2000 to 2004 model Honda City !
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

someone said earlier in this thread 2002 camry for about 3lakh.. that's a steal if true
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 13:18   #22
Default We had Toyota Camry 2.0 diesel !!!

We had owned a Toyota Camry 2.0 Turbo diesel automatic RHD version imported from Dubai. My dad had got it on TR (Transfer of Residence). Had it for past 13 years and machine was awesome. Yes, I agree with many others that spares availability for the vehicle was of rareity and we had to even wait for months of some mechanical parts to be sourced from Dubai. Again, once restored, she drove great. Eventually, we sold it in chennai with a heavy heart. Believe me, she was still neat.

- Plush and Great Ride and reliable engine (diesel)
- Good cruising both in city and highway.
- good mileage. she used to give 10-11 kmpl.

- Low Ground clearance. She would bump the every damn hump on indian roads.
- Spares availability.
- Automatics require maintenance every 50k KMS.

We still feel bad that we sold it but some cars definitely are not worth running in indian roads due to various reasons.
itszain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 12:42   #23

How much did you sell it for ? which year make was it ?
Old 28th May 2014, 23:37   #24
Senior - BHPian
Default Toyota Lumiere 2.0 AT

Does anyone have any info on this car model? It's a variant of the Camry, produced in the eighties. Scant information is available on how the car feels / runs. Being a Toyota and that too a Camry, however, One could expect a top-notch over-engineered car that will last a lifetime.

There is a specimen lying unused in my town and seeing it prompted me to seek some details. Also would it make sense to buy and restore it? Is it even possible?
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote