Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 8th December 2009, 12:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
Please have some respect for the W124.

It is certainly not a Beginner's Car in any sense. It is not a Tank and will break down if you drive it roughly.

Which Car do you own now ?

For anyone getting into owning bigger cars on their own and not with external support the W123 and the W124 are the best cars to learn on. Parts are cheap not much electronics and fairly simple cars.

The W124 like any other car does break down if driven in a manner not suited to the car. By the term tank i think what is meant is they are tough and work horses that do not need maintainance all the time. They can be used extensively even if you clock high kms. My W123, 240d had done a lakh something kms and till the last day of use worked wonderfully driven under all sorts of conditions. Lets just say she took the rough with the smooth.

Now what has his current cars got to do with what he wants? I am sure he knows his finances to decide on a car for himself .
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 13:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
For anyone getting into owning bigger cars on their own and not with external support the W123 and the W124 are the best cars to learn on. Parts are cheap not much electronics and fairly simple cars.

The W124 like any other car does break down if driven in a manner not suited to the car. By the term tank i think what is meant is they are tough and work horses that do not need maintainance all the time. They can be used extensively even if you clock high kms. My W123, 240d had done a lakh something kms and till the last day of use worked wonderfully driven under all sorts of conditions. Lets just say she took the rough with the smooth.

Now what has his current cars got to do with what he wants? I am sure he knows his finances to decide on a car for himself .
The last sentence made me chuckle. Well said.
GordonGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 09:17   #18
BHPian

@Dippy: Thanks for sharing the links. I've gone through all the links you have provided before posting this thread, except this:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ip-review.html (W124 Mercedes E220 ownership review)

This one helps me a lot, gives a clear picture of owning a W124. Thank you.

@speedy, @GordonGekko: Thanks a lot for all your support.
wmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 09:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
Hi All,

Iím not a rich kid, earning a take home of 8lakhs per annum, at the moment. Owning a Mercedes is my dream, of course with a maximum budget of 8-9lakhs.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but with a take-home of 8 lakhs a year, you are putting yourself in the way of big grief owning a Merc. The maintenance will be killing, and soon you'll regret ever having bought it. I would think one needs a cushion of at least 20 lakhs a year if you don't have too much of dependents, before you dive into Merc ownership.
There's nothing worse than having a beautiful machine, and grudging the maintenance it needs.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 09:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but with a take-home of 8 lakhs a year, you are putting yourself in the way of big grief owning a Merc.
No, not at all. Thanks for your honest opinion.

Different people, different views!
Old 9th December 2009, 10:14   #21
BHPian

I am really not enjoying being criticized.

My View is my View. Have I ever tried to tell you that you took a bad decision ?

These guys are all new to Mercedes Brand. They First of all do not have an idea about these cars in many ways. I have met so many people who claim that they can drive any car in the world & also own one.

I will also go so far to say that maybe he can also buy a W140 as his budget can accommodate it.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 10:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
I will also go so far to say that maybe he can also buy a W140 as his budget can accommodate it.
Your words are really encouraging. Thanks for your support.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:27   #23
BHPian

Hello Bro...
I am in the Same search as you.
I loved the older mercs with square headlights, But I am bit skeptical about their service issues.

@ everybody : I am getting good offers for 2000 or 2001 C180, around 7 to 8 lakh, Is it advisable to buy one?
I know GTO and Sahil's thread, but my budget is 7 to 8 Lakh, and wanted a newer model, Hence thinking about risking for c180.

Advise
mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 09:40   #24
BHPian

Hey mikon, may this link be a value add to you? Just saw this in the classifieds.

Team-BHP Classifieds - MERCEDES BENZ C-180 CLASSIC 2001 SINGLE OWNER - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 10th February 2010, 20:32   #25
BHPian

Thanks bro, I already saw that ad, but the horrors of C180 are killing me.
Mind - No
Heart - Yes
mikon is offline   Reply With Quote