Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 19th December 2009, 12:23   #16

GTO... I know i should compare an apple to an apple,but its just that the 525 has raised the bar very high.The A4, though a breeze to drive in traffic, with a feather touch steering, kind of also takes away in the driver involvement. Frankly, this might seem odd, but the only time it was gud to drive was when the boot was loaded with heavy luggage and frankly its not that comfortable in the rear seat too .
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 12:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Depending on how much off-roading you are planning to do:

If it would be like most of the junta better to get marginally more expensive Q7 that would give you 7 seat comfort and air-suspension over the touareg that is now offered by VW India. It can do fair bit of off-roading too but I presume not in the same league as a Touareg. Highway cruising with the family would be a fun however with all the extra space you get.

If you prefer performance and everyday use including city runs then Q5 could be a better bet.

Both presumably would be better in terms of resale compared to a Touareg.
Entropy...dont really plan on doing any off roading ....and a new Q7 would be out of budget. But yes the idea of a second hand Q7 , dosent sound bad. As for the Q5 ...frankly, dont reallly see the point..as the drive is quite ordniary and has the same space ,maybe just a lil more than a sedan.
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 13:09   #18
BHPian

The VW Touareg is more than 60 lac. You can take a look at the ML 320 CDI cause its cheaper than the Touareg and also Merc is giving some good discounts.
indra_slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 13:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

what about the new prado?
apart from the shared powerplant with the forunter it is an excellent buy
plus you get bragging rights for being a owner of the latest model.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 00:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nimrod,
Considering that you already own a 525d, going for the E350 wont make much sense, so you should go for a SUV. You should go for the Touareg instead of the Freelander 2 because the Toureg comes with more features, has good presence and more power plus servicing and parts could be an issue for the Freelander.

You could also consider going for a used luxury SUV like Q7, Cayenne, etc. All of these cars would have done low kms and would be almost new.

Or, if you are not too worried about snob value you could get the new diesel Prado and I guess the Prado would offer more peace of mind in terms of servicing and reliability.

Last edited by aparth : 29th December 2009 at 00:54.
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 14:08   #21
v10
BHPian

Firstly I would like to state that a used car just doesn't compare to a brand new car. Its a different feel.

Since you have a 525, you should get an SUV.

Looking at your budget, the touareg and the Land Rover are the two options. I would recommend the freelander 2 as it starts at 35L you could have a fully loaded, brand new, supercharged HSE FR2 for 45L on road with full warranty and service. Plus there arent too many around so it has the exclusivity factor.

The touareg in turn would cost you more and the service is absoutely third grade (I just serviced my VW passat and they took over a month to fix some faults and charged me a fortune on top of it) Moreover the S class service turns out to be cheaper than the passat's!
v10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 20:24   #22
BHPian

Default Help on choosing best SUV

I am planning to buy a new SUV. The monsters I have, personally, shortlisted, are Merc GL, Q7 & Touareg. Please let me know of any other makes that I may have missed. (I already have a Range River & do not wish to pick Land Rover or Cayenne) Your opinion means a world to me.

Last edited by vijaypalsingh : 25th February 2010 at 20:30.
vijaypalsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 20:43   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalsingh View Post
I am planning to buy a new SUV. The monsters I have, personally, shortlisted, are Merc GL, Q7 & Touareg. Please let me know of any other makes that I may have missed. (I already have a Range River & do not wish to pick Land Rover or Cayenne) Your opinion means a world to me.
well tell us what you want from your suv and we can help you out further. do you need a sporty suv or a comfortable one? do you need it to seat 7 or only 5? are you going to take it offroad?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 21:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well tell us what you want from your suv and we can help you out further. do you need a sporty suv or a comfortable one? do you need it to seat 7 or only 5? are you going to take it offroad?
Hi Akhshay,
Comfy one with some style statement.
Offroading-May be once an year or so.
Five seater should be fine.
Budget no issue.
I welcome you to visit my thread, probably you'll get some idea.
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...hp-giants.html)

Rgds
VJ
vijaypalsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 21:37   #25
Team-BHP Support

since you want to make a style statement the toureg is ruled out, its not that well known. the gl too can me mistaken for the ml. i suggest you look at the q7. now that really makes a statement. as far as the engine is concerned the 4.2tdi is the best.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 13:07   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

+1 to Akshay's suggestion. If you want to make a style statement, a Q7 (with bling wheels) has unmatched street presence. No wonder it's replaced the Landcruiser as a favorite with the Bollywood types.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 14:03   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
+1 to Akshay's suggestion. If you want to make a style statement, a Q7 (with bling wheels) has unmatched street presence. No wonder it's replaced the Landcruiser as a favorite with the Bollywood types.
Thats true but not entirely because of the Q7 having more presence than the LC. The prime reason why the previous gen LC got so popular is due to the grey market/under invoicing malpractices. Hence making the car available at a much cheaper price.
Now with regulations tightening up and all the media hype about celebs being driven to court for importing cars illegally, Bollywood too has been compelled to take the official route.
Hence Audi was quick to take advantage of the LC not being imported officially by Toyota. Also after paying the grey market price of the LC it's hard to digest paying 1cr+ for it officially now.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 19:20   #28
BHPian

Get the 4.2TDI Q7. I've booked mine (pre-launch) and expect to get sometime around May/June 2010.

What you'll like about Q7 (IMO)
1. Presence
2. Performance (chip it and have a grin ear to ear)
[4.2TDI can be chipped to over 400bhp/900 NM]
On road manners are excellent and truly confidence inspiring.
3. Space/Verstality
4. Practical in every way
5. Economy of diesel, less/no fuel stops over long drives
6. Air suspension. I really love the ride quality. Stick to 18" alloys.

What you won't like
1. Size (a handful for city drives). Be prepared for dents/scratches
2. Smart horn (the tone and volume gets really mild when the object is upclose. A real pain on the highway and city if you ask me as the guy in front of doing 80 kmph won't hear it while you're honking desparately to get a way ahead)
3. few dealers - no problem if you are in metro
4. Healthy appetite for brake pads. (Natural considering our traffic and the potential this beast has.)

Make sure you get the Advance parking system with reverse camera. A MUST for this car.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote